Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips, RB Todd Gurley II - Media Availability - Dec. 26, 2019

December 27, 2019 12:13AM
TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips, RB Todd Gurley II - Media Availability - Dec. 26, 2019

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay
(On DT Michael Brockers showing up on the injury report yesterday)
“I think so. We’ll limit him (DT Michael Brockers) in practice, but we will be smart. He’s a veteran player, he was able to take part in the walk-thru. If we do have to limit him physically, that’s something that we’re okay with, just because of his understanding and his ability. He’s one of the rare guys that you do feel like, ‘All right, if you want to be smart and have him physically as healthy as possible for Sunday, take a little bit of that load off of him and his ability to get the above-the-neck reps, will be okay for us.”

(On what Brockers has meant to him since he’s been with the Rams)
“He’s meant a lot. You guys know, he’s got a great personality, he’s a charismatic player, he’s a charismatic person that you can’t help but be in a good mood when you’re around him. I think that energy that he brings every single day – he’s got a contagious laugh – but, he’s a great football player. I think he’s really played well in both phases – defending the run, rushing the passer – very conscientious with the way that he goes about his work. He’s got great-gameday demeanor too, just his command, his leadership abilities. I think he’s really taken a great step in the right direction as one of the key leaders on this football team. I think he’s really done a nice job taking to some of the things that (Defensive Line) Coach (Eric) Henderson has brought in, in addition to (Assistant Defensive Line/Defensive Quality Control) Coach (Thad) Bogardus. Really, he’s taken a lot of steps in the right direction. A lot of positives from Mike (Brockers).”

(On Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips comments on not having conversations with the Rams about his future and what his position is going forward)
“When those things come out, (Defensive Coordinator) Wade (Phillips) and I discuss those things so that we make sure there is a clear understanding of what goes on and we keep those things behind closed doors. Like anything else, after the season, it will be good for us to all take a step back. Our focus right now is on, let’s see if we can play a really good game against a tough opponent, finish off this season – cap it off the right way. Like anything else, we’ll take some time to be able to really reflect back on the year, look at what some of the things that we need to do as we are moving forward. Part of that, is talking to each one of the staff members, talking to your players, and then being able to have a direction as we progress in to the next season.”

(On what it’s been like working with Phillips until this point)
“He’s been great. Even from the very first time that we started working together. His experience that he’s had, to be able to draw on. I think our personalities, it’s a good balance – in terms of some of the things where you see just how even-keeled he is, has helped. Like I’ve mentioned in a lot of different ways, he’s always had a great perspective just based on his experience – whether it be as a head coach or as a coordinator, but It’s never pushed on you. He’s always willing to share and has a way that he thinks is the best way to be able to do it, but I’ve never felt like any of that was pushed on you. Guys love him, he’s got just a consistency that you can’t help but appreciate.”

(On what the team’s vibe has been like coming back from the holiday and going into the last few days of practice)
“I think it was good for them to get away, enjoy their families and be away for that time. Whether it was Christmas Eve or even today, they’ve got a good demeanor. We’ve got the right kind of guys in here and we’ve got an opportunity to try to finish off this thing the right way and that’s what we’re focused on. We’re going to enjoy these days and we’re going to maximize the opportunity that we do have and see if we can finish it off right.”

(On going into the final game at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and if there is one game there that stands out to him or that was his favorite)
“I would have to say the one that stands out was probably the Cowboys game because it represented a chance to advance in the playoffs and get to a conference championship. That was our first win in the playoffs since we’ve all been here. That atmosphere, that environment, but there’s a bunch of special times. That was a special night when we played Kansas City for all the other things outside of football that represented things that are a lot bigger than the game and what that kind of offered in terms of a reprieve for the community. Those are some games that definitely stand out.”

(On what his thoughts about the Coliseum were before he came to Los Angeles and if he had an appreciation for its history)
“I knew just the history of the venue and all the different great things that had taken place there. But, probably couldn’t appreciate it fully until you get there and get an opportunity to compete there. Then you even start to even get educated on all the things that have occurred. It’s been a special place, there’s been a lot of good memories there. We’ll see if we can have our last one as a positive one.”

(On anything particular he wants to see from QB Jared Goff going into the final game of the season)
“I think you just want to play at a high level. Do a great job distributing the football, making good decisions, playing within the timing and rhythm of all the plays. All the things that get monotonous, but it’s so difficult to consistently do it snap in and snap out when you’re playing the quarterback position. I think you want to cap off the year with a good clean performance and see everybody do a great job around him. I think we want to just see our team cap it off the right way and play clean in all three phases. There’s been some instances where we’ve done that, and we’ll see if we can put it all together this last game.”

(On the final game serving as an evaluation opportunity for some of the younger players)
“Every game is a good evaluation tool. Those reps are invaluable for the players to be able to accumulate experience. Each week’s a new week, but those opportunities and, really, those games are so precious you’re only guaranteed those 16. We’re going to do the best we can to try to compete to the best of our ability. It is always an evaluation tool really for all of us to try to see how we do and to really be able to measure yourself and make sure that you’re getting better. Learning from previous mistakes and then that’ll be something that we’ll heavily use as we’re going into the offseason.”

(On if he is conscious of going into a game like this of player performance incentives, and if so, if he makes an effort to help them reach those)
“I would say this, I think it’s important to at least have an idea while still understanding that it’s about the team. The main thing that I was exposed to, really going back a couple years ago, was when we were fortunate to be in a position where we rested guys and how that affected some of the possible incentives and what can you do to try and make it right? Because you don’t want to punish guys by doing what’s best for the team if you’re resting them. This is a little bit different scenario. I think we’re going to do what we can to try and win the football game and if there are some things that are brought to your attention – if there’s specific escalators or things like that, I don’t know about those. But where it did become really important was when you might rest guys and they might be punished or penalized for that and those are things you want to try to avoid.”

Rams Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips
(Opening Remarks)
“Hope everybody had a Merry Christmas. We are looking forward to this ballgame. I know it’s a sudden end when you know it’s the last game, but we’re still looking forward to this week and having a winning season. We’re playing on pride and character and that’s two things I think we really have with this football team and the guys that we have. I’m looking forward to it.”

(On how he would evaluate the defense this season)
“About 8-7. We lost some close games that we won last year, basically. Some areas we’ve really done well – better than we did last year’s team. I think most, the run-game, those kind of things overall – yards-per-carry is way down from last year. But, we didn’t get as many turnovers – that’s a key thing, too.”

(On how OLB Dante Fowler Jr. has played this season)
“(OLcool smiley Dante (Fowler Jr.) had an outstanding year. I think everybody can see that. He’s had what – 11.5 sacks already? Any time you get double-digit sacks, you’re up there as far as your production. He’s made a lot of plays behind the line of scrimmage, too. I don’t know the exact number, but he’s made a lot of tackles for loss, also. He’s had a very good season.”

(On if he plans to be back with the Rams next season and if he wants to continue coaching)
“I love coaching. That’s what I do and that’s what I enjoy doing. We did a lot of good things this year. Not enough, obviously, to be in the playoffs, but I thought we did a lot of good things as a team and defensively. I enjoy working with players, I think we’ve got a really good group. I think – like I said last week – they’re fighters. We didn’t end up winning that ballgame, but I thought we showed a lot of fight as a defense and a team. I enjoy coaching, I want to continue.”

(On CB Jalen Ramsey missing Week 17 and the opportunity that presents younger players)
“I think you saw (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey) had an interception and caused the other interception in the ballgame against a good football team (San Francisco) with good receivers. He had an outstanding game. We did lose him this week so it does give our younger guys a chance. When you’re playing the last game and you’re not in the playoffs, you really want to see some guys get an opportunity that hadn’t had it. You’re looking at their future and you’re hoping that these guys will step up when they get the opportunity. That happens all across the board with whoever – linebackers, D-line, whoever. Whoever you have, you’d like to play them a little bit more to see where they are in their game.”

(On if he has had any indication from Head Coach Sean McVay or the team that he will be coaching next season)
“No, I’ve heard a lot of rumors out there, I don’t pay any attention to rumors. Like wherever I’ve been, I’m going to do the best that I can do. If that’s not good enough for somebody, then it isn’t. We want to finish with a winning season, I know that.”

(On if he feels like he performed well this season)
“That’s up to somebody else. We lost two years in a row to Pittsburgh when I first started in the AFC Championship game, then they won the Super Bowl. Then, we lost to Oakland and they won the Super Bowl and we got fired. Those things happen. Like I said, it’s up to somebody else to judge those things. You never know what’s going to happen in football. I know one thing, I’m going to do the best I can do and I’m going to be the best assistant coach I can be.”

(On what he has seen out of Cardinals RB Kenyan Drake over the last two weeks)
“I saw him (Cardinals RB Kenyan Drake) go for 166 (yards) last week, so with an 80-yard run. We were impressed with him last game we played them. They got behind, so they didn’t get to run the ball as much as I’m sure they’d like. They do have a really good running game. I think (in) average per carry, they’re right up there in the top of the league. He’s (Cardinals RB Kenyan Drake) showing he can be an outstanding back. It’s going to be a challenge for us to stop him and their running game.”

(On what DL Michael Brockers and LB Cory Littleton has meant to his defense)
“Both of them are outstanding players that are consistent. We look for consistency, but those two guys – (DL Michael) Brockers consistently plays the run really well against usually the best big offensive tackle they have, (Lcool smiley Cory (Littleton) just makes plays all over the field. Makes the most tackles of anybody on our team. Also, gets turnovers, interceptions and fumble recoveries. He’s played really well, both of them played really well the last three years for us.”

Rams RB Todd Gurley II
(On what stands out to him about playing at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum)
“It was cool. Legendary Coliseum – a lot of games there. Olympics, ‘SC’ (University of Southern California), all of the tradition. It was definitely, definitely cool. Excited about the new stadium, but just appreciate all the tradition that just went through the Coliseum.”

(On if there is a specific game or play that stood out to him at the Coliseum)
“I don’t know. I remember – I think – Reggie Bush was probably with the Bills, so that was cool that he got a chance to come back to the Coliseum. I don’t even think he played, but I think that was a pretty good thing because everybody was a Bush fan growing up.”

(On his thoughts going into the final week of the season and if it’s different than previous years)
“Same old cliché, quotes, finish the year off strong (laughs). You know, it might sound cliché but that’s – just finish it off strong, try to go out on a good note. Those guys (Arizona Cardinals) have been playing pretty tough. Try to make sure (Cardinals OLcool smiley Chandler Jones doesn’t set the single-season sack record – I know it’s pretty close. Divisional game, so just let them know that we’re going to be back and just try to play our hardest.”

(On if he thinks not making the postseason and having a longer offseason will be beneficial for the team next year)
“Yeah, most definitely. Every offseason is different for everybody and the approach is different. It definitely will be – as far as just rest-wise – last year was everybody’s first time, really, playing in February. I don’t know, I haven’t really looked at it too much. We don’t have no choice but to rest. It’ll be cool, get your mind right, people get to go home and be with their family. That’s always a good thing and just get back ready for the next season.”

(On what his relationship with players like T Andrew Whitworth and DT Michael Brockers means to him with free agency approaching)
“It’s usually kind of like that each year. A guy that you always play with is either coming up on free agency, it might be your last year playing with them. I’ve played with a lot of great guys. Just being with (Michael Brockers) ‘Brock’, I’ve been with Brock the longest. I’m going to miss that fool, I hope he doesn’t go anywhere. I’m going to miss ‘Brock’, He’s a good dude. I’m going to miss all these guys in the offseason, for sure. I tell them, I can’t wait to get away from them. We have a lot of fun with each other, whether we are winning or losing because we know who each other are, as a person and as a player. (T Andrew Whitworth) ‘Big Whit,’ I’ve only been with him a couple of years, but he’s helped me out tremendously. Just being a good dad, a good football player – not even that – really just being a good person. Veteran guy you can talk to, he’s been through every situation. He really just leads by example, he’s just always doing the right thing and that’s why you see why he’s nominated for the Walter Payton Man of the Year. Brock’s the same way. He’s a good father. He’s a good teammate, good captain, he’s been our captain the last couple of years, him and Whit. To play with guys like that, it’s a blessing.”

(On if its mattes to him to rush for 100 yards in a single game and not reaching it this season approaching the final game of the season)
“It doesn’t really matter. I could‘ve rushed for 100 yards, I’ve been close. We’ve been in four-minute situations, so that doesn’t really matter to me. If that was the case, I would have did it on the first game.”

(On what stands out to him with Cardinals RB Kenyan Drake’s performances over the last couple of weeks since he’s been traded to the Cardinals from Miami)
“I felt bad for my boy (Cardinals Rcool smiley David (Johnson) but, he’s a great player. Just glad to see him happy, handling everything the right way. He still is an All-Pro back. They’ve got a guy in (Cardinals Rcool smiley Kenyan (Drake) who they futured. He’s a great running back as well. You’ve see what he’s done at Alabama, you see what he was doing at Miami. He’s been turning it up and he’s been killing it the last couple of weeks. I’m just super happy for him, that he’s doing what he does best, and that’s just balling out.”

(On going to the Super Bowl last season and their offseason being cut short and if he is looking forward to having more time this offseason to prepare for next year)
“I mean, I guess so. It’s just kind of weird because it’s like you’re not really prepared for the offseason and now it’s like it’s here. Like I said, we won’t be the only team at the house and we’ll still get the chance to watch some good playoff football and root for your brothers that are still in the playoffs. All the good relationships that I have with players. Players from the Houston Texans – get to watch (Texans WR) DeAndre Hopkins and (Texans Qcool smiley Deshaun Watson in the playoffs. I just kind of just look forward to that – supporting my brothers. Just going out to the Super Bowl and I guess doing events there and being able to go to the game and still support whoever is playing in it.”

(On having a full offseason to recover and prepare)
“I don’t really think that matters, honestly.”

(On his reaction to Seahawks RB Marshawn Lynch going back to the Seahawks)
“It was cool. It just shows you the type of guy he (Seahawks RB Marshawn Lynch) is and what they think of him. Even if they had whatever their differences are and he ended up leaving and going to the Raiders. They still believed in him as a player and as a man. Him and (Seahawks RB Robert) Turbin to sign both of those guys back and to be able to come back – they’re going to be counting on those guys. I’m excited to see him play, as well in the playoffs. It’s always good to see a guy like ‘Beast Mode’ back. Just having him on the field people are just going to be scared. They don’t even know how he’s going to run, but he just brings that type of energy and confidence that just helps the team out.”

(On the Rams having a number of free agents and if he has thought about what the free agent market has looked like)
“No, I don’t really pay attention to none of that. I’m always here for the players, so whoever gets picked up or paid, you know I’m always for that – congratulate those guys. I don’t really even pay attention to too much of that stuff.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky343December 27, 2019 12:13AM

McVay does not give a reassuring response regarding Wade’s return...

Rams43157December 27, 2019 09:02AM