Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Cardinals Head Coach Kliff Kingsbury - Conference Call - Dec. 24, 2019

December 25, 2019 05:43AM
TRANSCRIPT: Cardinals Head Coach Kliff Kingsbury - Conference Call - Dec. 24, 2019

(On playing the Rams for the second time four weeks and the challenges that come with it)
“We actually played San Francisco with one week in between, so we’ve had a similar situation. I actually enjoy the process because I think you can take a lot from what you learn Week 1 and adapt your gameplan, your script and your defensive calls to what worked, what didn’t work, what you see on the film could’ve worked and go from there. Obviously, playing a talented team like the Rams is never easy this close back-to-back. They dominated us the first time, so we’ll have to make some drastic improvements. I actually enjoy the process of getting a second look at teams.”

(On if the Cardinals are playing better following a two-game winning streak)
“They are. I feel like our attention to detail – we’ve been playing clean, smart situational football. Our physicality has ticked up and it’s been trending upwards here towards the end, which is exciting. Guys are locked in, they’re focused, they’re into it. Like I said earlier, last time we played the Rams, it was not pretty for us. They outcoached us, outplayed us and so we need to do a lot better job this time around.”

(On where Cardinals QB Kyler Murray’s is now compared to where he started the season)
“It’s been steady improvement. We started kind of looking to our identity, who we are as an offense, trying to figure it out scheme-wise, personnel-wise, what does (Qcool smiley Kyler (Murray) do well-wise, because we knew how he played was how it was going to go. We weren’t set up to play shutout defense and run the football 50 times a game this season, so a lot of it was on him. We wanted to build around him the right way. It took some time that first month to figure out who we were, how he would play best – personnel-wise – what we needed to do schematically. I think after about that first month, we got into a little bit of a groove and you saw him improve weekly from that point on.”

(On QB Jared Goff having one of his better games of the season against the Cardinals in the Week 13 game and his play the last three games after and if he’s seen anything different from Goff and the Rams passing game)
“He’s (QB Jared Goff) a great player and (Rams Head Coach) Sean (McVay) is a genius offensive mind. They had their lull there where they had some tough outings. You knew they were going to figure it out, that’s what great coaches and players do and I think that’s all that is. They’re a prideful group, they went back to the drawing board after that Baltimore game – you could see – and came back firing. Unfortunately, we were the first team they played, and they got after us pretty good. They’ve been playing at a very high level ever since. I’m sure they will be that way Sunday, so we will have to play our best game.”

(On concentrating on the Rams defense and being an offense minded and what he sees in the Rams receiving corps.)
“The first thing that jumps out to me is just the competitiveness, the toughness – each guy will do whatever is asked of him in that offense – whether it’s block, run, take a sweep hand off. They do it all and they do it at a high level and they do it at full speed every single rep. You can tell they feed off each other. It’s a good of a receiving corps. as there is in the league – there’s no doubt. Sean puts them in great situations to be successful. But, I love that they all aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty and they kind of lift each other up.”

(On LB Dante Fowler Jr., DT Aaron Donald, and LB Clay Matthews and what he sees from the Rams pass rush and what’s made it effective when it’s been really working)
“You nailed it. All three of those guys are tremendous players. They’ll rotate in the guys that can get home as well. It’s as dominate D-line as we’ve faced. (Defensive Coordinator) Wade (Phillips) does a great job with scheme and changing up pressures and letting those guys have their one-on-ones. Last time we played them, they got after us. So, we’re trying to put together a better plan this week and hopefully to be a little more competitive.”

(On what went into Cardinals RB Kenyan Drake's big games against Cleveland and Seattle)
“He’s (Cardinals RB Kenyan Drake) worked really hard since we’ve got him. I think just the comfort in our system – the terminology, what the expectation is on each play, understanding the blocking schemes – all those things have gone into it. He’s a talented player, we knew. We believed he could be a feature back when given opportunity. He’s answered the call, it’s been fun to watch him progress each week.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky345December 25, 2019 05:43AM