Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Pass Game Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach Shane Waldron, QB Jared Goff - Media Availability - Dec. 24, 2019

December 25, 2019 05:30AM
TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Pass Game Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach Shane Waldron, QB Jared Goff - Media Availability - Dec. 24, 2019

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay
(On an update regarding CB Jalen Ramsey's injury)
“He (CB Jalen Ramsey) had a grade-two strain of the ‘LCL’ (lateral collateral ligament) and he’ll be out for the game (Week 17).”

(On what Ramsey has brought to the team since being acquired)
“He’s done a really nice job. He’s made a big, big impact. I like his daily demeanor, too. Just with the way that he practices, he’s a smart, conscientious football player. Asks good questions, he’s very coachable, receptive to some of the things that (Cornerbacks Coach) Aubrey (Pleasant), ‘E’ (Safeties Coach Ejiro Evero), (Defensive Coordinator) Coach Wade (Phillips), all those things. I’ve really enjoyed being around him. It was great to see him make a big-time play the other night on that pick. You can just feel, he’s had a presence since he’s been playing. He enables us to do some different things flexibility-wise. It’s been good having him.”

(On which knee Ramsey injured)
“I can’t remember. One or the other (laughs).”

NOTE: The Rams Communications Department confirmed Ramsey’s left knee is injured.

(On if Ramsey’s knee injury will require a procedure)
“I don’t think so. I think it’s – more than anything – just being smart. He came back in and it shows you how tough he is, what a great competitor. When you are looking at something like this, you just want to be smart. Typically, it’s something that can take anywhere between a month, a month and a half. It should heal on its own.”

(On if there are any players he will not play ahead of Sunday’s Week 17 game)
“No. We’re going to try to go win this football game and do what we can to make sure that we have a good week of preparation. I think we owe it to the guys – to the players on this team – to try to compete to the best of our ability, like we’ve talked about all along. That’s the approach that we’ll take. We’ve naturally gotten a chance to look at a lot of guys, just based on the nature of how things played out. That’s been a positive. Everybody that’s able to play – as if we were playing in a playoff game – we’re going to approach it that way.”

(On who will start in Ramsey’s position)
“We’ll look at the way that we’ll activate some of the different personnel groupings. Expect to see a little bit more of (Ccool smiley David Long (Jr.), (CB Nickell) Robey(-Coleman) – he’s got the ability to play outside and inside. You get (Dcool smiley Dont’e Deayon up, you’ve got some corners that you feel good about. Then, you have some flexibility with some of our safeties that can do some different things, which is a nice bonus for us as well.”

(On if he feels like something has positively changed to have a more effective passing game)
“I would just say, really, when you look at the last four games, I think three of the four, there’s been some positive things that we’ve seen. Certainly, it’s never perfect, but starting with when we played Arizona and leading into Seattle – obviously the Dallas game wasn’t anywhere close as a team. Then, there were some positives against the 49ers. We’ve got to make sure that we’re doing enough to try to get the results that we want as well. I think there have been a lot of things that have gone in the right direction, have been better than what the inconsistencies that we’ve had over the course of the year represented. That is a positive, and look to see if we can finish this last one off the right way.”

(On QB Jared Goff’s recent performances)
“I think he’s (QB Jared Goff) done a good job. In a lot of those instances, there’s different phases of the pass-game. Some of the things that we’re doing on early downs are different than your third-downs and the redzone. I think for the most part, there’s been more efficiency, I think he’s made better decisions. Any time that you’re talking about the pass-game, it’s also a representation of all 11 (players). You’ve got to have protection, you’ve got to play within the timing and rhythm. Guys have to separate, you’ve got to distribute the field the right way – a lot of things have gone into that. Then, there’s been some different things that we’ve done, whether it be positives in the screen-game, guys running after the catch, some of the different things off the play-action or the movement. Different phases, but I think overall, there’s been an improvement in the pass-game in general. I think if you just kind of segmented all the different phases, there’s been some positives in each of those as well.”

(On TE Tyler Higbee being the fourth tight end to have four consecutive game with 100-plus receiving yards and what kind of weapon he has discovered in Higbee and if it makes him look forward to next season)
“It’s been great. I think the thing that’s really beneficial for him (TE Tyler Higbee) is that he can contribute and he’s made his plays on all three downs. A lot of instances, you can see a lot of certain guys production occur – the known passing situations, first and second down off the play action or different things like that. He’s made plays in the drop-back game, he’s made plays in the screen game, he’s made plays in the play-action. He’s done a lot of different things. You look at the second down we had in the redzone where he got it down to like the 1-yard, right inside the 1-yard (line) on the little option route that he had. He’s doing it in a variety of ways so his opportunities aren’t limited because he can play on all three down. He’s showing what a versatile player he is. I think in a lot of instances, his willingness to compete without the ball has opened up some of those opportunities in the pass-game, where he’s got a great feel. Jared’s doing a nice job getting through some of his progressions and finding him. Clearly, you can see those two have a great rapport. I’ve been really happy for him. We’ve talked about it before, but it’s great for him because he’s always been a glue guy, he’s always been a guy that people have really respected in this locker room. If you ask any one of the players about him, everybody loves Tyler Higbee. He’s always got a smile on his face, he’s a pro the way that he goes about his work. Then, to see him have that success, it’s fun to see because of the hard work and the way that he goes about it day in and day out, he’s being rewarded with the production and the success that he’s had. It’s been a big boost to the offense as well.”

(On what T Andrew Whitworth means to him since Whitworth came to the team the same season that he became head coach of the Rams)
“He’s meant a lot. He’s a special individual. Like I’ve said before, one of the most empathetic individuals I’ve ever met in my life. I think that’s a rare quality, I think it’s a great quality for any leader to possess. He’s got a great wisdom, he has been playing for 40 years too, so he’s got a lot of experiences to draw on. It’s a relationship that I certainly cherish. He’s helped me a lot, as you’re still getting familiar with how to best handle this role and navigate through the things that occur on a daily basis. Somebody like him has been instrumental. When you look at when we first got here as a staff, working with (General Manager) Les (Snead) and his group, for him to represent, like he and (WR) Robert Woods, really, to represent your first two free agent signings. It’s hard to find two better representations and representatives of what it looks like to go find the right kinds of guys that are wired in all the right ways and then are also great competitors.”

(On if he has seen a veteran player like WR Robert Woods keep improving annually)
“I think the great ones do that. He’s such a great competitor. I think anybody that’s great at what they do, they never let the complacency set in even if they have a certain amount of success. I think in a lot of instances, the human inclination and the human nature is to say, ‘I’ve had this success, I’m going to do the same thing and get the same results.’ In such a competitive business like this, that’s just not the case and he never lets the complacency set in. He’s really hard on himself, he practices hard. The way that he works day in and day out enables him to get better because he’s so intentional, he’s so detail oriented. I think he’s extremely mentally tough. You talk about a guy, that we all know what a nice guy he is, you guys have known him for a while from covering him back to USC. His game day demeanor, the energy and what type of competitor he is, that’s a different animal when he puts that helmet on and he’s competing in between those white lines. It is fun to see and you love working with guys like him.”

(On his favorite Christmas present to open as a kid)
“I’ll give you this, receiver gloves. That’s how bad I am. I was looking for the receiver gloves, I wanted to get the cool Nike ones and all I could get was some Easton baseball gloves. It was a disappointing day. Those were what I was hoping for. I’m low maintenance, all right. Merry Christmas, guys.”

Rams Pass Game Coordinator Shane Waldron
(On what’s been different with QB Jared Goff and the pass game in the month of December)
“I think his steady approach, like I’ve said in the past, where he’s gutting through some of the ebbs and flows of the season and really stayed committed to working on his craft throughout practice, throughout the middle stretch and now as we get to the end of the season. He’s been diligent about working on his foot work, constantly working his release, working on all the little things that he can control. Then, within the games, he’s done a good job of throwing accurately on the move, breaking contain, changing the launch points and really executing at a high level over the last several weeks.”

(On Goff rolling out of the pocket more often and what went into that decision)
“I think it’s always been a good part of our offense and then just as the defensive structures have kind of played themselves out the last few weeks. It’s been some good opportunities to get outside the pocket and those chances have presented themselves and we were able to attack them. The biggest thing, just as our offense has been for the last few years, when we’re able to maintain that good efficient first and second down yardage, then we’re able to keep the play-actions, those movement passes, the run game, all those things coincide. We’re able to marry the run and the pass and have our offense rolling in an efficient level in those early-down situations.”

(On if it’s been a result, cause or effect having the ability to utilize TE Tyler more)
“I think at this point a little combination. I think a lot of it, as (TE Tyler Higbee) ‘Higs’ has been going, does all the dirty work, does such a great job in the run game, and in the protection game. Sometimes the targets haven’t always gone his way, but when you start to get out on the perimeter on some of those movement passes, that’s where he’s really been able to make a ton of yards, especially the yards after catch for him. He’s had such a good feel for settling versus some zone defenders or staying on the move versus some man looks there. Him and Jared have had that connection over the last few weeks, where they’ve been able to make some of those two- and three-yard completions turn into 20- or 30-yards explosive plays. Just a good credit to Higbee of his just understanding of the overall structure of a defense and being able to find those voids.”

(On when he watches a game when Goff is playing well and throws an interception like the one in the 49ers game if he evaluates it as a mental error instead of a physical error)
“I think the split-second decisions that he has to make sometimes those things happen. I know he’s hard on himself on those decisions. But, it’s his ability to keep learning from any of these mistakes that come up throughout the course of his career, which he’s done a good job of. Unfortunately, we’ve had a few in some of those two-minute situations, where that quick reaction – if it doesn’t play exactly out the right way, then the next responsibility is to take care of the ball and maybe on that situation there – where can I just find a throwaway, potentially that situation right there and not put at risk. Again, it’s a highly-critiqued position for a reason because it’s a hard position to play and you do have to make those split-second decisions in the most critical moments in the game. Again, it’s something he can learn from and keep improving upon.”

(On if quarterbacks innately know when to throw the ball away or is that more of a learned skill in the NFL)
“I think as he progresses – I think as you feel all the different looks. It’s a feel to when to throw it away, when the fight of the play might be over and the prudent thing to do might be to just go ahead and take the throwaway and play the next down. I think so much of that comes from those accumulated reps and the understanding of the situations and knowing that, ‘Hey, you might want to get through the full read of the play or make a play in a particular scenario.’ And ‘Hey, when’s the right time to make that play and when’s the wrong time?’ So much of that is feel. Like I said, just accumulating those reps and those situations that come up organically throughout the game that you really can’t emulate in practice when they’re happening and all the different situations that can occur.”

(On what CB Jalen Ramsey has brought to the team from his perspective)
“You look over there and you see a big, long, athletic corner that can run with every route. He’s the type of corner in my mind you just have to know where he’s at, at all times because he can have that ability to go lock down a single receiver or really disrupt routes, especially at the line of scrimmage. Really, in the short time that I’ve been around him, seems like he has just such a great understanding of the game overall and the route combinations that can come his way. So, just a guy that you’ve got to be alert for and got to know where he’s at on the field.”

(On if Ramsey can impact a practice the way he impacts the game)
“Oh sure, this time of year where you’re not in as many one-on-one situations, but he’s that guy if you have competitive in some of the two-minute situations where you go against him and you can really see. In these scenarios, obviously, guys are going to take care of each other and avoid the big collisions. But, just you feel his presence and you feel his ability to really come into a new situation and play all our different coverage contours. And really out of that saying of, ‘Okay I need to know where he’s at, and make sure he’s not playing underneath the route and he’s going to leap up and take it away. Or be able to get hands on somebody at the line of scrimmage and really disrupt them and get the timing of the play off.’ His presence is definitely felt in practice. I know the scout team quarterbacks when they’re going against him and he’s ranging – seems to find a way to create turnovers in a lot of those look team periods when we’re up giving the service to the defense.”

(On his favorite Christmas present that he opened as a kid)
“A couple different ones. Definitely, when I was a kid I was a big GI-Joe fan. I remember getting a couple of the different GI-Joe’s as a kid. I feel like those were the earliest ones I remember. That’s why I joke – my kids are six and two and the two-year-old I’m like – when we’re thinking about what present to get her, I’m like, ‘Do you remember what you got when you were two?’ What big impact is that one going to have? Other than the opening of the box and tearing the wrapping paper off. We’ll be excited to get a chance, (Head Coach) Sean’s (McVay) been great, and we’ll have a chance to get some time away tomorrow and hang with the families and open presents. Hopefully you guys are doing the same.”

Rams QB Jared Goff
(On how he approaches Week 17)
“Like I talked about after the game (Week 16 vs. San Francisco), I think it’s about pride at this point. It’s never a consolation, but it is about who you are as a man and who you are as a team. I think we’ve got the right guys in here who will handle it the right way. Something you definitely never look forward to, but you definitely will learn a lot about guys and you always expect the best out of these guys.”

(On what he took from Week 13’s win over Arizona)
“We played well. We were able to protect really well and move me off my spot a bunch. I felt good. I felt good, I love playing in that stadium, I felt really good. Again, they played really hard this past weekend against Seattle and it says a lot about who they are as a team with what they did in Seattle. We’ve got to come prepared, we’ve got to come ready for a challenge.”

(On if there is a game he’s played at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum that stands out to him)
“Kansas City on Monday night last year has got to be the one. There were many moments, though. That’s probably the all-timer for me in the Coliseum – and our team. The Vikings game (in 2018) was a great one, I think about the Packers game last year, even just a couple weeks ago – the Seattle game, Chicago this year. There’s been a bunch. Even a game we lost against ‘Philly’ (in 2018) was a tremendous game. It’s been a special place and a place that kind of adopted us for the time being. It’s become home for us, but we are excited for Inglewood. It’ll be a nice way to wrap things up, hopefully, for the fans this weekend.”

(On what has changed to allow him to play better in December than he did in November)
“Nothing. Things are clicking a little bit better, I think. When things aren’t going well, I don’t think you ever want to change anything. You may become a little bit more – urgent is not the right word – a little bit more pointed on what you want to work on. I think you learn about what you need to get better at and I think that definitely happened. But, I didn’t change my process, I didn’t change my routine, I didn’t change anything. Just became a little bit more accurate and started playing a little better. It happens when you go through ups and downs and ultimately you want to be on the ups a lot more than the downs. By no means has this season been up to my standard or our team’s standard, but it’ll be one that I’ll always look back on, hopefully learn from and be happy that we did go through this in the long run.”

(On if finishing strong will give him encouragement moving forward)
“It’s better than finishing poorly. You always want to show you can respond – I’ve talked about it a bunch of times – just showing that ability to bounce back and respond. For me personally, but, more so just our offense in general, feeling like we were able to do some good things is definitely good, but it’s never a consolation. You wish you could go back last week and not throw the interception at the end of the half and finish with a touchdown on that last drive and make it so that we are playing for something this week. Unfortunately, that’s not the case, it wasn’t good enough, whatever we did wasn’t good enough, but it was definitely on the ascending, if that’s what you are asking.”

(On if it’s a learned behavior or natural or throw the ball away)
“No, I throw the ball away when I have to quite a bit. That was just a dumb play, it’s just not a smart play. I can’t do that to our team. I talked about it the other day, it’s not something I ever want to put us in that situation, especially at the end of a half. Let them back in the game like that, give them some momentum, it’s just one that will eat at me, but one that I will learn from, for sure. Hopefully, won’t let that happen again.”

(On if he says it was a dumb play because he threw the ball or because he didn’t execute the throw)
“Because I know better, because it’s man coverage and he should be over there. I didn’t see him is the issue, but I should know he’s over there. I wouldn’t have thrown it if I had seen him over there. I’ve moved past that play, it’s on to Arizona and one that I’ll learn from for sure and one that I’m not happy with, but I’m past it.”

(On what’s it been like having CB Jalen Ramsey in practice settings)
“I think the first thing you see is his competitiveness, even in practice. Every once and a while, we will get some ones-on-ones during practice, maybe one drill. Just the way he competes and even thinking about this past game, he did the knee injury in the middle of the game. For a guy that is new to a team, he could of done anything with that knee injury. For him to stick his neck back out there, keep playing and finish the game strong and finish the game playing well, says a lot about who he is as a teammate and as a player. I’ve been extremely impressed by just his work ethic and competitiveness every day.”

(On what’s the most important thing he’s learned from playing with T Andrew Whitworth over the last couple of seasons)
“I think the way he practices. I think, obviously, you learn a lot about leadership and off-the-field stuff and just the type of guy he is. The way he practices everyday, and you just see the way that he works, and you realize guys like him and guys in the league and guys that have played for that long, they are not there by accident, they’re not in their 14th year playing at a high level because they’re physically gifted, it’s because of the work ethic and you see the way he works every day, the way he runs from drill to drill and treats each rep in practice like it’s his last. It’s something that I’ll definitely hold with me for as long as I play. It’s something that I’ve learned from him.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky395December 25, 2019 05:30AM