Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay - Media Availability - Dec. 22, 2019

December 22, 2019 03:07PM

(Opening Remarks)
“Yesterday, (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey) got a knee banged up. We’re continuing to evaluate and see how – he ended up continuing to play through it, but we’re going to look at just seeing how he feels as the week progresses. (T) Bobby Evans did return from the hip pointer that he got. He should be okay, but we’ll take it day-to-day with him. With (Rcool smiley Darrell Henderson (Jr.) – with his ankle, he ended up tweaking it on his first carry and then felt it on his second carry. He’s going to need to get that thing cleaned up, so we’re probably going to put him on ‘IR’ (injured reserve).”

(On which ankle Henderson Jr. injured)
“It’s his right ankle.”

(On if Henderson Jr. will have a procedure immediately)
“He’ll have it done after Christmas. He’ll have it done at some point this week, but we’ll wait until after Christmas so he can still enjoy Christmas.”

(On if Ramsey’s injury is something they will monitor and if he had an MRI)
“We’re getting further updates on that. We want to be as smart as possible. He tweaked it, he felt it, he was able to play through it. As we’re continuing to gather information, I’ll have a little bit more for you as the week progresses.”

(On if Ramsey has already had an MRI or if he will in the future)
“He’s going to. We’re going to get him a further evaluation.”

(On if Henderson Jr.’s injury will require surgery)
“He had a high ankle sprain. It’s unstable, so he’ll need to get surgery. The specifics of that – it’s not something that’s too evasive. It is something that will require to go in there and get it cleaned up. When he gets back – I don’t think it’ll be anything too long that will force him to miss a bunch of time.”

(On if he knows the severity of Ramsey’s injury)
“I don’t. It’s his ‘LCL’ (lateral collateral ligament). Just figuring out the specifics of, ‘What type of grade strain is it?’ Then I’ll be able to have some further updates for you as he’s talking with the doctors, I get a chance to talk to those guys and then we’ll have some further information for you guys later this week.”

(On how he balances maintaining the health of the team going into the offseason versus wanting to win against Arizona to close out the regular season)
“I think you want to be smart about it, you don’t want to force guys to play that aren’t in the position to be able to do that. I do think we have a lot of good competitors. You’re always pushing through some bumps and bruises at this point, but if it is something where they are going to have it fixed or you’re putting them at further risk for injury, we would definitely take that into consideration and we wouldn’t want to expose guys for that.”

(On how he is processing what happened in last night’s game against the 49ers)
“A lot of the same as what it felt right after, extremely disappointing. You put as much into it and you want to see more success collectively with the group. How much goes into this season and all really geared towards giving yourself an opportunity to compete afterwards, but that isn’t the only reason you do it. You get to go through a lot of good and some bad this season. I think that’s forced us to learn a lot about ourselves, I know it has for me personally. Really, my focus is on finishing this season out the right way. Once we get to that point where the season is finished, there will be a lot of good self-refection. There will be a lot of good evaluation – for everybody – and for us to be able to look at what we can do to be better and hopefully avoid these types of seasons, as we move forward, and as we learn, as we grow together.”

(On his comments after the game where he compared the loss to the 49ers and the Super Bowl loss)
“It’s hard to compare. I think everything is so fresh. When you’re talking right after a game too, the emotions are very real, they’re very raw. It still hurts. In all those losses, like I said, they take a little bit out of you. What you can’t be afraid of is that feeling of getting up and continuing to battle and fight and try to do the best job that you can for your team as we try to finish up this season the right way. It’s all been disappointing. I really think what both those games represented, in different manners, was the finality of the season last year, and then yesterday, represented the finality of our opportunity to have some games past the 16 that we’re guaranteed. They both hurt a lot, but every single loss does. I think it’s just because you care so much and you want to see the people that you’re doing it with have success, that’s really why you do it. When we haven’t had the success that we’ve wanted, it hurts. You can’t be afraid of that hurt, like we’ve talked about.”

(On if there is significance finishing with a winning record)
“I think so. Yeah, I think it’s important. I think it demonstrates, too, the character that I do believe we have in this locker room. For guys to continue to compete, we’re going to battle and we’re going to compete to the best of our ability to try to finish out with a winning record. That is something that I said to the team today and I think it’s important for us. We know the challenge because Arizona is a tough football team.”

(On how potentially finishing with nine wins feels like a year after playing in the Super Bowl)
“I think because you want to try to have those temporary milestones that you want to accomplish. For us, the goal at hand and what we can accomplish this week is to try to establish a winning record based on where we’re at after 15 games. Is it where we wanted to be? I don’t think anybody would have said that before the season. It is where we’re at and all we can do is handle it the right way. That’s all we know how to do.”

(On where he thinks they fell short as a whole this season)
“I think overall, just the consistency. I think there’s been instances in all three phases where there’s been some really positive things and then there’s been some other instances where I don’t think we’ve played up to our capability. That’s all of us – that’s coaches, players, we’re all in this thing together. Ultimately, you‘ve heard us talk about it before, consistency is the truest measurement of performance. Unfortunately, I think our inconsistency as a team ended up hurting us. We saw what we were capable of when the things were going well, and we saw how it can look when they’re not going well. It’s been a real big learning opportunity this year. It is something that you want to really make sure that you go back, you reflect on an you say, ‘All right, how can we try to be more consistent week in and week out? What are the things that I can do, that we can do in terms of how we’re setting up our offseason?’ Everything is going to be evaluated and I’m excited about attacking that challenge after this week. That’s where our singular focus will be is on focusing on this week and the Cardinals game because that’s what we’re going to finish this season off the right way. I think you owe it to the players, to everybody in this organization. Then, after that, then we’ll have a good chance, unfortunately, a lot longer than we’re accustomed to, to really look inward and reflect on what are the things that we can do to move forward and be better attacking next season?”

(On how he feels)
“I sound a lot worse than I feel. I kind of got a little bit of a head cold earlier this week. It sounds worse. I feel like I’m turning the corner. I just sound bad.”

(On what’s going on with T Rob Havenstein)
“He’s (T Rob Havenstein) been practicing. He hasn’t really been in a position where he feels like he can do the things to play at a high level. So, we wanted to be smart with this and not push him. Bobby’s done some good things, but really, it’s been more of a reflection of how he’s felt during the week of practice, where could he really push through it, maybe. But, he’s not feeling totally good enough to be able to have that anchor, that stability that you need. We’ve just been smart and patient with it and taking his feedback and the doctor’s. We’ll see what this week looks like.”

(On this being the last game with this group together and how much emphasis he puts on that)
“I think it’s important. You want to make sure that you cherish every moment and you make sure that you maximize the day. There’s a lot of things that this season has given you – I think especially a perspective and appreciation. It is a blessing to do be able to do this for a job. You think about, especially coming around the holidays, and some of the things that I know when you get upset about certain things you kind of have to take a step back and realize you’re very blessed to even be in this position. I think you want to make sure that you appreciate, enjoy the opportunities, appreciate the relationships that you build – knowing that inevitably there is change that occurs year in and year out whether it be good or bad. For us, this will be the last time with this team that we’ll get a chance to go out and compete together. I think we want to be able to enjoy the week of preparation and let’s see these guys go out on a good note.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky347December 22, 2019 03:07PM