Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay - Media Availability - Dec. 19, 2019

December 20, 2019 12:16AM

(Opening Remarks)
“Injury-wise, (TE) Gerald Everett will be okay to go. He was a full participant this week and he’s feeling good. (Ccool smiley Troy Hill, we’ll list him as out for this game. Surgery went well, he’s feeling good, but we felt like the best thing for him – and as we move forward – was going to be to keep him out this week. Then, (K) Greg (Zuerlein) is making good progress. We’ll kick him tomorrow, see how he’s feeling. Have some guys coming in for a workout – really, have one guy coming in for a workout. We keep those things in-house, so we’ll kind of keep consistent with our normal, standard operating procedures with that.”

(On if the team would have to sign a kicker by 1 p.m. on Friday)
“I’m all messed up because we play on a Saturday, but if we did that, we would make that move tomorrow. Don’t have to anticipate that because Greg is feeling good, but might want to make sure that we’re smart about this and have a contingency plan if something does go not according to schedule.”

(On if Zuerlein has kicked this week)
“He hasn’t kicked, but he’s feeling good. It’s more of a precautionary thing than anything else. We wanted to just wait as long as possible until we actually kicked him. Then, if something doesn’t go according to plan, then we at least have somebody in place that you feel good about if that situation comes up.”

(On if there is anything they will specifically look for from Zuerlein when he kicks on Friday)
“Most of it really just requires his feedback to us. If there are some things where maybe his typical range – because he has such great range – is limited a little bit, those are things that we certainly would be understating of because he is our kicker. He’s a guy that’s done it at a high level for a long time. It would really be if it just gets to the point where he’s not able to go and it ends up inhibiting our ability to operate or kickoff, things like that.”

(On if Zuerlein injured himself while kicking)
“He just felt a little bit of a tweak. It was one of those deals where if we had a longer-range field goal that he’s accustomed to – we feel pretty good about where his range is. It was just going to be a little tighter than what the norm is if we had a field goal opportunity for him against Dallas.”

(On what has made 49ers CB Richard Sherman a good player for so long)
“I think you can see – very talented, he’s (49ers CB Richard Sherman) got great concept recognition, elite ball skills. That’s the one thing that you see with him. Then, he seems like a guy that, when he does recognize those concepts, he’s excellent in being able to trigger and you feel like, ‘All right, this might be a guy that’s a good double-move candidate.’ But, he seems like he’s always ready for those. Plays with good technique. You can see he plays with great vision back to the quarterback and he understands how the quarterback’s timing – in terms of his footwork, his drops – are married with route combinations and where that ball can come out. I think that’s why you see some elite production from him. You look at a couple of the picks that he’s had this year, it’s great concept recognition, he’ll come up and tackle. He’s a complete player, he’s been doing it at a high level for a long time. When you get a chance to talk to him a little bit, this is a player that has a really unique, big-picture understanding – extremely intelligent. I’ve always been a big fan of him and very impressed with what he’s done. It’s not surprising, but he’s playing at a high level.”

(On the challenges for a team coming off a Super Bowl appearance)
“Just the challenges that the league entails every single year. Each season is a new one and have to learn how to adjust, adapt, navigate through the inevitable adversities that you do face. I’m not going to shy away from the fact that, up to this point, things certainly haven’t gone the way that we expected. But, we’re going to keep battling, we’re going to keep swinging. We’ve got another opportunity to do that on Saturday and I expect to see us go compete to the best of our ability.”

(On teams playing in the Super Bowl are well exposed to the league and if it’s something he’s experienced)
“I think that’s fair to say. When you’re fortunate enough to have some success, coaches, players are so good in this league and they are always studying. We use that word adjust and adapt, and that’s where you’ve got to make sure you continually do that, and those are things that I’m excited as I continue to learn and as we continue to grow as an organization, as a coaching staff with our players moving forward. Saturday represents our next opportunity.”

(On if it’s a different challenge managing players emotions and motivations of living up to last years expectations after going to the Super Bowl last season)
“I would say this, part of the guys that we want to onboard are the guys that are wired the right way, they are intrinsically motivated, and they bring it on a day-to-day basis, and they respond to the good and the bad in a very consistent manner. I think the biggest thing that you do learn, anytime that there’s an element of success that occurs, human nature sometimes can tell you that, all right, you will do the same things that you did and just get the same results, when in this league it’s so competitive, that just isn’t the case. You’ve got to consistently strive to always improve. You talk about it, but you’ve got to constantly fight that natural inclination to feel like, all right, this success is just going to continually repeat itself by doing the same things, and you can do that in this league. Those are things that, whether we were or weren’t having success, I would believe, just because the nature of how competitive it is, growing up around this business – being fortunate with my grandfather’s experience – you realize how rare it is for some of these teams that are able to sustain success for long periods of time, and you’re always trying to find that formula to do that.”

(On if he’s always avoided trying to do the same thing and expecting the same result when it comes to coaching)
“I think you’re always trying to get better. I love what I do and it’s one of those deals where there is always a self-evaluation – never will claim to be perfect – but, I do think you want to make sure that you’re evaluating yourself honestly, you’re always trying to learn from your mistakes, improve, and really just continually push the standard – that’s by studying, working as hard as you can and surrounding yourself with good people.”

(On what he’s seen from 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo from the beginning of the season to where he is now)
“You can see, like anything else, he’s using his experience to truly gain an ownership, an understanding of what they are trying to get done. I remember even just watching their Thursday night game against Arizona, and how impressed I was with just his poise, his ability to operate, create some off-schedule plays – really within the framework of the pocket on some third-and-longs. Always been impressed with just his ability when things collapse around him, his ability to speed it up, where he’s a really natural thrower of the football. Doesn’t necessarily need a clean platform to get it out, but his upper body, just his twitch and his ability to be able to see something, be able to get it to a guy in a timely manner, has been an impressive thing. I think they do a great job of extenuating his skillsets. (49ers Head Coach) Kyle (Shanahan) is a guy that I’ve learned a lot from. I think he’s one of the best. You see he’s got a great feel for what his players skillsets are, and then how he can also use those to really put pressure on defenses, with a multitude of looks – some different personnel groupings. I think Jimmy’s executed their system excellent.”

(On what he means when he says Garoppolo does certain things well)
“I just would say, if you’re excellent, where you are able to see things and get the ball out quickly if the timing and rhythm dictates, those are some things that you see him do at a really high level. He’s excellent in the play-action game. Then, I also think it’s important with how difficult the quarterback position is as a whole. Any quarterback in this league, it’s such a stressful, I think it’s one of the most difficult, if not the most difficult position in all of sports. I think what Kyle does a great job of, is giving him an opportunity to get into a rhythm with good creative screens, changing that launch point – and things that I’m not saying it’s easy to execute – but it does enable a quarterback to get into a rhythm. You get the ball in some of your playmakers hands, in space. Those are the things that get him going, and then you start to see, all right, now you’re in the flow of the game and you can really make some impressive plays in the drop-back game, in the play-action. You can see really, he can move the spot, he can push the ball down the field. There’s really no weaknesses, I think it’s just a good job of executing the system and Kyle does a nice job of helping get him in to rhythm as well.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky308December 20, 2019 12:16AM