Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips, RB Todd Gurley II - Media Availability - Dec. 18, 2019

December 19, 2019 12:18AM
TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips, RB Todd Gurley II - Media Availability - Dec. 18, 2019

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay
(On if there are any updates on CB Troy Hill)
“We’re just day-to-day, we’re going to take it day-to-day with him (CB Troy Hill). We will do that up until later on this week – pain tolerance, just to kind of see how he’s feeling. The good thing is, if it is something where we are going to decide to let him rest and not play, then you do feel good about (Ccool smiley Darious Williams stepping up.”

(On what his optimism level is on TE Gerald Everett)
“I think, again, we’re just kind of feeling it out. We will see how today goes, and then, I will be able to have a better idea once we actually get a physical practice in and see what that looks like. Part of that too, is as we complete the gameplan and kind of figure out exactly what that looks like and what his (TE Gerald Everett) involvement would be, if he is feeling good enough.”

(On K Greg Zuerlein)
“Again, it’s one of those things that, because we haven’t physically gone yet, we’re going to wait until tomorrow. We’re going to wait as long as we can until we actually kick him (K Greg Zuerlein), let him use all this time that he does have to try to get as healthy as possible, and then we’ll get a feel Thursday or Friday on how he’s feeling, if he’s going to be able to kick, if not, then we’ll have that alternative plan.”

(On if there is any type of movement on the alternative plan if Zuerlein can’t play against the 49ers)
“We’ve got some guys coming in. I’m so used to today being Thursday, today is actually Wednesday, but in a normal week, this is like our Thursday. On Thursday of this week – which would be equivalent to a Friday on a game week – we’ll have some guys that we could bring in and work out, if that something where Greg isn’t able to go.”

(On T Rob Havenstein’s progress)
“Making good progress.”

(On if Havenstein will play against the 49ers)
“I don’t know yet. It was good to get him (T Rob Havenstein) back out on the field. Again, I know I’m kind of answering the same questions, but until we really physically go, it’s hard for me to truly give you guys a real answer to some of these questions, and I’ll have a much better feel based on how today’s practice – where we will get some good physical work in – goes for those players.”

(On when his focus is on the offensive side of the ball what’s he makes of the defense’s up and down season)
“My focus is on this team. There’s a lot of time that you spend, and you want to make sure that you have rapport relationships and an understanding of everything that’s going on. I think that’s part of the role. It’s hard to explain. There’s been some instances where you do give the offense it’s credit, but we’ve played so well, and I do think that’s more what we are and we’ve got to consistently do that. I think a lot of the things last week, really, just boiled down to just some of the fundamentals, the techniques that our guys are more than capable of executing at a high level, because we’ve seen that. You do give Dallas some credit. Then, I think when you look at the other outlier performance, with the Baltimore game, I think it was a combination of, I think we certainly could have helped in some instances of putting our guys in some good spots. It was an impressive operation, and kind of caught them when we were really rolling. Those are outliers. You want to be consistent week in and week out, but I am confident that we are a very good defense.”

(On Week 15 missed tackles and if that is alarming to see as a coach)
“I think it’s difficult because as you start to get later on in the season, you’re limited in your opportunities that you can physically compete. Those things can kind of come into play. I know our guys do a great job of emphasizing that every single day. It just boils down to the small margin for error on when you do miss those tackles and then what it leads to. Then they were able to consistently kind of just have efficient runs, kind of be ahead of the sticks. And then there were some instances where guys – you end up having one of our better players who’s had a great season, misses a tackle when he’s unblocked, they avoid it and then we end up having two guys rub right into each other and that ends up leading to a long touchdown. You got to look at each play as its own entity, like I’ve said over and over, but I am confident that our guys are wired the right way to respond. I trust in this group, I believe in these players and I think we know we’ve got a great challenge against the Niners but, I think we’ll have a better showing this week.”

(On what he’s liked about CB Darious Williams performance this season)
“I think last week, you get a large sample size to really evaluate him. It’s not too big, he understands the techniques, the fundamentals that we want to be able to operate with. He understands the coverage concepts and where he fits based on how certain route combinations play out. He’s a guy that even going back to last year – I can think of a handful of times when we’ve got great receivers and he’s given those guys outstanding looks and really challenging them and competing, really caught my eye last year. Then as he’s gotten more comfortable with the system, had a year to really digest what we’re trying to get done, you’re starting to see that translate when he gets his opportunities. He’s a good football player.”

(On having two Pro Bowlers which is a drop off from the last couple of years and if that is a reflection of the team and individual performances)
“I would say this, I think we’ve got a lot of really good football players. I think that it’s great to be able to see (DT) Aaron (Donald) and (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey) get recognized by their peers and how you end up kind of getting voted in to the Pro Bowl. There’s a lot of guys that we believe in as coaches – we know what they’re capable of. Sometimes it is a reflection of, like what you said, the team’s success. When you end up having more success as a team usually that leads to a lot of people getting the appropriate credit that they deserve and that’s what the last couple of years have entailed. But, I certainly still think we’ve got a really good roster, really good players, and a lot of guys that could certainly make a case to be in that conversation. But, it’s always about the team.”

(On if you are comfortable when looking at staffing, particularly the offense)
“I feel good about it. I feel very fortunate to work with the group that we do have. But, you are always evaluating. The one thing, for myself in this role, is that you’re constantly evaluating all the elements that this role entails, and you always want to continue to do it at a high level. The way that you do get better, is yousurround yourself with people that are better than you. We’ve got a lot of good people here, but I think it’s always continuing to find that good balance of, what does it look like structurally, really, for our organization, in terms of that set up, want to be able to get the best people here. I think you are always looking at those things, but I feel really good about what our group has done, if you are asking about that.”

(On if you can imagine not being the playcaller for a team you are coaching)
“It’s hard to say. I think you’re early on in the stages of it. Certainly, I’m continuing to try and figure out what’s the best rhythm to operate with on a day-to-day basis for our football team, because ultimately that is your job, is to make sure that you have a good feel for everything that is going on and then putting your players in a position on all three phases to try to have success week in and week out. If I felt like there was a set-up where we would be a better football team, if that wasn’t the case and it enables you to do some other things, I would never say never, but those are always things that you evaluate. Right now, our focus is on the (San Francisco) 49ers, doing a great job. When the offseason hits, whenever that is, there will be some time for us to be able to really look inward and figure out what’s going to be the best thing for the Rams moving forward.”

(On RB Todd Gurley II being named a Pro Bowl alternative this season)
“Yeah, I think it says that his body of work over the course for his career has earned the respect that’s merited. There have been some different reasons why the production is what it is, and a large part, not exclusive to what he can control. So, I think he has got respect around this league, I think that’s been earned and been merited by his body of work and I think we have all seen that.”

(On if you are surprised at where the Rams right now this year, since you took over as head coach)
“If you said, ‘This is where we would be at,’ I don’t think anybody would be satisfied or think that’s how it would go, but this is where we are at. I think in a lot of instances, this would give you a perspective. Certainly, some of these you kind of have to embrace the adversities that we faced, and it forces you to go one of two ways – you either fold or you continue to fight, and you get stronger as a result of pushing through. We have said it over and over, this is a really competitive league it’s very tough to win week in and week out, injuries play the part. We make no excuses. We are what we are right now, and we are going to continue to battle and try to finish this thing out the right way, however it ends up. But, to say you are surprised, I think that would probably be accurate, but this is where we’re at and we are going to keep battling and fighting. I think we will all be better for this and I’m very appreciative and thankful for some of the adversities that we faced because you really get a chance to learn about people and find out why a lot of the things you felt so good about, whether it be with your coaches or with your players, are accurate because it’s easy when everything is going really well and easy to lead from the front and there’s really no real adversity, but you find out about people when you do go through some of these things. That’s been a blessing.”

Rams Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips
(Opening Remarks)
“Obviously, the 49ers have a really strong offense. But, we’re getting prepared, we’re getting ready to win this game. We’re looking forward to it. We’re unhappy with how we played last game, but that one’s over. We’re going to the next one and the next one, we’ve got to play better. That’s our mindset.”

(On the cause for the defense lacking consistency this season)
“We’ve been inconsistent overall. We’ve had a couple clunkers and if I knew the reason, we wouldn’t do it. But, we have fought back every time. I think the attitude of our team – our defense and our whole group – we’re fighters and we’re going to fight back.”

(On if there is a specific explanation for the lack of consistency)
“Like I said, if I knew, I’d change it – or I’d change something going into it. We practiced well, we thought we were going to play well, and we didn’t. We thought we were going to coach well, and we didn’t. I’ve been in it a long time. We’ve won nine games and been in the playoffs, we won 10 games and been in the playoffs. The playoff thing isn’t the important thing is going out there and trying to win every game. That’s what we’re going to try to do. Those things will happen for you, or they won’t – whether you deserve it or not, I don’t know. We won nine (games) in Atlanta and went into Green Bay and beat them – the first time they ever lost in the playoffs. It’s a fight every game. We’re in a tough, tough division. Two teams really stepped up in our division this year and we’ve got a chance to beat one of them that we lost to the first time.”

(On how the addition of WR Emmanuel Sanders improves San Francisco’s offense)
“I’m very familiar with (49ers WR) Emmanuel Sanders. He’s obviously a really good receiver. His know-how, he’s savvy, he recognizes coverages real well, he knows where the weaknesses are, he knows where to run to, he’s tremendous on bump-and-run throws, over the outside shoulder and then throw-behind passes – he’s adept at most things. He helped me get a (Super Bowl) ring, so I’m a fan of his as far as that’s concerned, but not this week.”

(On the challenges that come with covering Sanders and 49ers TE George Kittle)
“(49ers TE George) Kittle we know – he caught 13 passes last week and he’s a top-flight tight end. It always helps your offense to have a guy like that, that can get open from the inside.”

(On what the defense can improve after Week 15’s game against Dallas)
“Again, I don’t want to really go back to Dallas. But, we need to play the run better. Their three wide receivers caught one pass each. Especially against the second running back (Cowboys RB Tony Pollard) – he’s the guy that made the big plays for them. You knew (Cowboys Rcool smiley Ezekiel Elliott was going to make some plays. If you give it to him enough, he’s going to make 100 yards. The other guy (Pollard) made more yards than he did and didn’t run it very much. And, we missed too many tackles. Like I said, that one’s gone – we’ve got to go to the next one.”

(On if that is a concern going against the 49ers, who run the ball)
“Yeah, they run the ball well too. But, Seattle ran the ball well that we beat before that. We’ve got to meet the challenge.”

(On where LB Cory Littleton ranks in terms of inside linebackers he has coached recently and if he thinks he gets the respect he deserves and people being surprised he was not chosen for the Pro Bowl)
“(Lcool smiley Cory (Littleton) certainly makes the plays to be deserving of accolades, certainly. He’s the leading tackler on our team, and has been, and has over 100-and-something tackles every year. The other thing he does is he covers well, he gets interceptions, he causes fumbles. I’m not sure what they’re looking for, overall. Not to say the guys that made it in front of him aren’t really good players, too. Sometimes you get caught in that situation.”

(On if he has any sense whether CB Troy Hill will play or not and what he thinks of CB Darious Williams taking his place)
“If he (CB Troy Hill) doesn’t play, (Ccool smiley Darious (Williams) will play, yes. I don’t think we know yet. We haven’t made a determination yet. We’ve still got some more practices to go to see where we are.”

(On what Williams brings to the cornerback position)
“I thought Darious played, actually, pretty well. He had one ‘PI’ (Pass Interference) penalty that I can’t say anything about. He made an interception that didn’t count. Like I said, (Cowboys WR Michael) Gallup, he played him most of the game and he had one catch for 6 yards. I thought he did a pretty good job.”

(On him having DT Aaron Donald and CB Jalen Ramsey chosen for the Pro Bowl and if that is a fair reflection of how well his defense is playing and who is playing well)
“I mean, clearly in exception to Cory, certainly. Those two guys (DT Aaron Donald and CB Jalen Ramsey) are dominant players and deserve it. Both of them are great players and they play great during the games. Especially for (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey) who came from the other conference and played half the year. People still recognize what kind of player he is and what he can do and what he has done for us. The more games you win, the more players that are on them and the Pro Bowl. We had more last year, obviously, but we hadn’t won as many games this year. Deserve it or not deserve it is close depending on how many games you win usually.”

(On if it was different as head coach not having a defensive coordinator under him)
“I thought it was the right thing to do at the time, is the reason I did it. I’m not sure what the question is.”

(On the defense not having a coordinator or somebody else there other than him as head coach)
“You’re involved in your side of the ball, no matter what. When I was with Charlie (Waters) and Ted (Cottrell) and those guys, we set the gameplan together, that kind of thing. You’re more involved in your side of the ball has been my experience where I was.”

RB Todd Gurley II
(On how he feels going into Saturday’s game against the 49ers after not playing them in Week 6 and what he’s seen from their team)
“Good team. Those guys have been pretty much banged up all year, but they are just a good team right now and they’ve been finding ways to win. They’ve been doing a pretty good job. Even though things haven’t been going their way the last couple of weeks, they’ve put themselves in a good enough position to be able to lose however many games. They’ve lost these last couple, they’re doing a pretty good job though.”

(On if he will put the Dallas game last week behind him moving forward to the 49ers)
“Yeah, that’s just part of the league. It won’t be the first time we get beat like that, it won’t be the last. It’s just part of the rollercoaster going through the league – just next week.”

(On how he evaluates how he’s played this season compared to seasons prior)
“I don’t ever really compare myself to no one nor previous seasons. Every year is different, every year is a different experience. Every year is a different team. Obviously, we haven’t done what we wanted to do – I’m not even just talking about me, just talking about overall team. Still two games left. I think just focus on each week, don’t focus on what I’ve could have done, or how many yards I could have had or how many touchdowns. Just try to worry about the bigger picture, get a win. Like I told you, whether it’s 10 yards or 100 yards, it doesn’t matter as long as we get the win. That’s kind of all that matters.”

(On making the Pro Bowl as an alternate and if he gets validation from that considering players and coaches participated in the voting)
“Yeah, that’s just more of the respect that I get from other players around the league – you know that they have for me. That definitely means a lot, just coming from your peers and coaches. It just shows the amount of respect that I have for other guys around the league and the amount of respect they have for me as well.”

(On watching the film from the first time they played the 49ers this season and what he took away from that game that they could have done differently)
“I don’t even know. That was like Week 4 so I couldn’t even tell you. I haven’t even played against the 49ers – I feel like I always miss them like once a year, even my rookie year I didn’t play against them. It’s always a good feeling. I feel like when I do play against them I usually do fairly well. Triple hitter Saturday, so looking forward to it.”

(On hoping to play in the Pro Bowl and if he would accept the opportunity to play as an alternate)
“I don’t know. Usually when I made it, I just made it. I don’t know how that works. I don’t really care either.”

(On if he hopes to play in the game at the Pro Bowl)
“No, I hope those guys that made it go play in the game – (Carolina Panthers Rcool smiley Christian McCaffrey, (Minnesota Vikings Rcool smiley Dalvin Cook, (Dallas Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott) ‘Zeke,’ (Cleveland Browns Rcool smiley Nick Chubb, (Baltimore Ravens Rcool smiley Mark (Ingram), and (Tennessee Titans Rcool smiley Derrick Henry. All of those guys had a hell of a year, always been great players and been great running backs. I think a couple of those guys, it’s their first time. Definitely I would want those guys to go and experience that with their families and their friends and enjoy it.”

(On remembering the Rams’ first drive of the last 49ers game where RB Malcolm Brown ran the ball five times)
“Yeah, it was a bunch of runs in a row. It was a pretty good drive and they kind of made some adjustments the second drive. Then the rest of the game wasn’t really fairly that great. It’s a divisional game, anything can happen. They’re familiar with us, we’re familiar with them. Divisional games can always go either way.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky383December 19, 2019 12:18AM