Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Run Game Coordinator Aaron Kromer, QB Jared Goff - Media Availability - Dec. 17, 2019

December 18, 2019 12:50AM
TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Run Game Coordinator Aaron Kromer, QB Jared Goff - Media Availability - Dec. 17, 2019

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay
(Opening Remarks)
“Injury-wise, we haven’t practiced yet today. We’ll be all walk-thru and handle that the right way. (Ccool smiley Troy Hill, if we did have a normal practice, would not have been a participant. Same thing with (K) Greg Zuerlein. (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff’s) thumb’s feeling real good and (TE Gerald) Everett would’ve been limited.”

(On if Goff would have been a full participant if the team had a regular practice on Tuesday)
“He would be. He’s feeling good, checked off and he’s ready to go.”

(On if he anticipates Goff having to wear anything to support or protect his thumb)
“He had a nice little compression sleeve on that looked kind of goofy today, but I think he should be in good shape (laughs).”

(On how the team manages the kicking situation if Zuerlein cannot play on Saturday)
“We’ll have some guys that have recently – we’ve got a couple names. ‘Bones’ (Special Teams Coordinator John Fassel) was on top of that right away when the situation came up. If we do feel like it’s going to be something that we anticipate, ‘Maybe he can go, maybe he can’t’, we might end up keeping somebody that’s close by overnight. Or, we might end up having to sign somebody later on in the week if we make the determination that he isn’t able to go. That’s not what we expect, but we will have some guys coming in here on Thursday night.”

(On if the team tells free agent kickers to stay active in anticipation of potentially being signed)
“Yeah, I think those guys that are those ‘street free agents’ that have most recently been with teams, I think they kind of know what the gig is. You never know when your number’s going to be called. For us a couple years ago, (K) Sam Ficken, who’s doing a nice job with the Jets, ended up filling in. There’s been some guys that have been recently on teams that have kicked in games that you feel like there’s enough guys that, if you had to, you could do it. Then, we can always just go for two (point conversions) every time. We had a similar situation a couple years ago. You can change up a lot of your tendencies on third down, too. You never know.”

(On if he thinks Goff’s thumb injury impacted his play in Week 15 against Dallas)
“I think he’d be better equipped to answer that. I think there were some things that – we’ve all got to play better. When that occurred, I think there’s some things that – he definitely will be better moving forward, we expect him to be and I know he expects that of himself. I can’t speak for him. I do know that any time that you do have an injury to your hand – in terms of how you’re delivering the football, how you’re gripping it, things like that – it is difficult and it changes a lot of things. But, he would be better equipped to answer that than I could.”

(On if Goff will be able to take snaps from underneath the center on Saturday)
“He’ll be able to do that. He’ll be able to do everything. There’s not going to be any limitations. Fortunately, it’s like one of those deals where you get it banged and it’s like anything else – probably scares you more than anything at first because it is such an irritating thing when you’re trying to grip the ball. But, he’s feeling good and fortunately, there wasn’t really anything other than just kind of hitting it on the helmet and a little bruise, I think.”

(On what happened in the previous game against San Francisco that allowed Goff to only pass for 78 yards)
“They did a great job. They’re a great defense, they’re one of the top defenses in the league and they’ve got one of the better pass-defenses. Arguably, you just look at the numbers, they’re up there in league history. They’ve done a great job. I think there’s some things that we’ve got to do a better job of. We were able to get some runs off in that first drive, but all-in-all, when you look at it, they did a great job getting after us. There weren’t really many positives other than those first seven plays on that first drive. (Rcool smiley Darrell (Henderson Jr.) had a couple big runs, but when you get stopped, when you’re on the 6-inch yard line. and when you fumble the opening play coming out of the second half, it’s tough to beat an excellent football team like this. Hopefully, we’ll have a better showing, but we certainly know what a great challenge it will be, because of what a great job (49ers Defensive Coordinator) Robert Saleh does leading the way, and then all the great players that they have executing the scheme.”

(On having RB Todd Gurley II for Saturday’s game after he missed the first meeting between the two teams and what he expects from Gurley II)
“I think just playing like what we expect him (RB Todd Gurley II) to. Whenever his number is called, doing a good job of just being efficient, seeing things the right way, leveling things off, being able to create some stuff on his own, if that’s what the look dictates, and being sound in protection. Just playing his position the right way snap in and snap out.”

(On what role leaders on the field play in setting the tone for the game whether it’s encouraging teammates or chewing out the team in a huddle and if he is satisfied that that is happening)
“Yeah, I trust our leadership. I think there’s a lot of things that go on in the absence of coaches, in terms of the dialogue and the communication. When you have your players that have some ownership, that’s always the most ideal situation, because they’re the ones out there. I do believe that we’ve got a handful of guys that represent exactly what you want it to look like in terms of the command, the ownership that they have. But I think in a lot of instances, too, it’s maintaining an even-keel, being poised. Then in a lot of instances, it’s as simple as somebody making a play to kind of get that momentum back in our favor. You don’t want to get down, you want to have guys, but a lot of that dialogue that exists between the players, I think that’s special when it exists between those guys. Certainly, some of the things that help get out of a rut are when somebody creates something, or makes a big time play to try to shift that narrative and change the momentum in our favor. Those are some things that you look for in those instances.”

(On Goff being in the position to motivate the team to get the game back going in favor of the Rams and it is hard to imagine someone as even-keel as Goff to play that role)
“Here’s what I would say – you say that, I think that’s a good thing. I think, No. 1, you’ve got to be yourself, because I think that resonates with your teammates and the people you work with more than anything else. I have gotten some good glimpses that I wouldn’t have known otherwise when he’s been mic’d up in the huddle, because there’s only so much that you see, but when there’s a communication that goes on and the dialogue in the huddle – the command, the ability to kind of reach and connect with guys. I think there’s some pretty impressive things that are true to his personality that get what the intent is of kind of what you’re asking done. I think as long as it’s authentic and true to your personality, with some urgency and with a demanding approach that’s solution-oriented like we talk about, I think guys respond to that. You’ve got to be yourself and there’s different personalities that I think get the same response as long as it’s real and authentic.”

(On 49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan saying Goff is really good when the team is on and how it’s imperative for the 49ers defense to put pressure on him and make him do things himself and if that’s a criticism in any way or if it applies to every quarterback)
“I think that’s like anything else, the more that you can try to get guys off their spot, apply pressure, move them, force the ball to come out of their hand quicker than maybe what they want. That’s a consistent thing to try to apply pressure and make quarterbacks uncomfortable early in games. I know (49ers Head Coach) Kyle (Shanahan) has a lot of respect for Jared and what he’s done in this league. I haven’t seen the quote, but I’m sure the way that he meant it was that like anything, you’ve got a great quarterback like (49ers QB Jimmy) Garoppolo, like Jared, like these other guys – the way that you can try to minimize how well they play, or minimize their impact on the game is to make them uncomfortable by getting in and applying pressure to them and limiting the time that routes have to develop and some of the concepts that they’re running.”

(On there being quarterbacks that have been able to overcome being uncomfortable with pressure)
“I would say this, there is different ways of being able to create off-schedule. I think you look at the way that (Patriots Qcool smiley Tom Brady has consistently done a great job creating off-schedule by his ability to move and manipulate within the framework of the pocket, might be a little bit different than some of these other guys, whether it’s (Kansas City QB Patrick) Mahomes or (Packers QB Aaron) Rodgers. I think it’s all about, ‘All right, what is their skillset? How do they maximize their skillset when things do break down?’ Certain guys have the ability to extend plays outside the pocket. But, then there’s also an element of extending the play in the pocket by feeling, negotiating a rush, or having a great feel for where your quick-element throws are. All the great quarterbacks usually have a feel for that, whether you’re a guy that’s kind of breaking contain and running around. Those are things that I think you see consistent is having an awareness of where everybody’s at, knowing where your quick-element throws are when things condense in the pocket and just having a natural feel while keeping your eyes down the field.”

(On what he tells the team to stay motivated)
“Attack the day. I think we’ve got a lot of guys that love football – I love football, our coaches do. Really, you cherish these opportunities to go compete. You’re only guaranteed 16 of them, we’ve got two left for sure. No matter how this thing shakes out, I think what we’ve talked about is you’re not going to have any regrets as long as you go for it. You go compete to the best of your ability and I trust that’s what we’re going to do. At least, you’re saying, maybe you give yourself a chance, but even if we (didn’t) even had a chance of continuing to play afterwards, we’ve got an opportunity to go get our ninth win. Like I said the other day, there’s a lot of prideful guys. When you love what you do and you love the people you’re doing it with, you want to make sure you do right by them.”

Rams Run Game Coordinator Aaron Kromer
(On if T Rob Havenstein will play against the 49ers on Saturday)
“The plan is, and it’s been throughout with (T) Rob (Havenstein), is when Rob gets back to being Rob, then we’re ready to put him in. Whether it’s this week or next – we’re just walking-thru today. Each week we’re just evaluating that situation and waiting for Rob to come back to that point where he is powerful and as strong as he was in the past. That’s still yet to be seen.”

(On if Havenstein’s playing time has anything to do with the offensive line’s current continuity)
“The big thing is really Rob. He’s a really good football player. When we feel like he can help us more than the situation we’re in, then we will do that.”

(On how he would grade how the offensive line’s play in the Dallas game)
“We feel like, as a whole, the team didn’t play well, and that would include the offensive line. When you say that, I go back to what I always say in here, ‘If we can stay within the gameplan of gaining four to five yards on the first play or a couple of yards on the run or play-action pass, whatever it is, you stay on schedule.’ As soon as you get to a point where it’s second -and-10, or first-and-15 – those kinds of situations – it’s hard on the quarterback, it’s hard on the line, it’s hard on everybody. The most important thing is, like we always say is, to stay on schedule because you’ve got to fight your way back. When you put yourself in those kinds of situations too often, the results aren’t going to be good for anybody. Now, do you give up in that situation? No, but it is going to be a lot harder on everyone, including the offensive line. That’s where in the past games leading up to the last one, we were able to do that. We were able to move the ball efficiently on first down, whether it be run or pass. In this game, it didn’t work out that way, and then we got down by a couple of touchdowns and now you’re throwing it the whole time trying to get back in, which is never advantageous for anyone.”

(On if it was scripted to run the ball the first five out of seven plays against the 49ers in Week 6 and how it makes him feel as the run game coordinator to see that kind of success on consecutive plays)
“Obviously, you like to have success in the plans that you have and in the technique that you’re teaching. That’s happened in the past years for us, more often, with some continuity. In that game, to be able to establish a run in that first drive was really important to us, and really got us off to the right start. Didn’t finish at the end of the game the way we wanted, but it definitely is a feeling of accomplishment and you hope you can do that throughout the game. As we improve, we hope we can get that done.”

(On how hard it is to get explosive plays in the run game, knowing strategically what the 49ers defense likes to do)
“Every defense has its pluses and minuses on the run game or the pass game. Like you say, the defensive line is a hard-charging defensive line. They’re all high-quality players, high draft picks and they’ve had success this year – they’ve had a lot of success this year. They play deep to short in the back half to make sure that you can’t get over their head with some deep balls. You see a lot more shell coverage this year than you have in the past as well, instead of the eight-man box. Yeah, you hope that you can get some runs off and have some success running the ball when that’s the case.”

(On what he has made of OL Austin Corbett, T David Edwards, and T Bobby Evans’ contributions so far)
“They (OL Austin Corbett, T David Edwards and T Bobby Evans) really – up until the entirety of the last game – they really have established themselves as having the potential to be really good here. They’ve shown a lot of signs and traits of good offensive line play whether it be in the run or the pass. They’re physical guys – they’re athletic guys. Those two, including Bobby Evans, have really been a good, physical presence for us in this five-game stretch that we’ve had.”

(On the last 49ers game being a rough game for QB Jared Goff and the passing game, and what has to happen for it to be different this time)
“Well, if you can get a drive like we had the first one. Then you don’t get in that situation, but anytime it’s going to be that second-and-10, and third-and-10, right in a row. If you get in getting those two passing downs in a row, if you’re not successful on those then…we have to get the ball off fast and we have to do a good job in protecting. That’s what we’re intending to do.”

Rams QB Jared Goff
(On his finger injury)
“It’s good. It’s good – it’s a little contusion, it’s a little stiff, but I’ll be good in a day or two.”

(On if he will have to wear anything to protect his finger during the game)
“No. I don’t expect to, no. We throw tomorrow and I should be just fine.”

(On if he was wearing a compression sleeve during his press conference)
“No.”

(On Head Coach Sean McVay referencing him wearing a compression sleeve and it looking goofy)
“Earlier today I might have been. It looked like a wrist brace. It’s off now, yeah.”

(On the most critical component heading into Saturday’s game against San Francisco since last facing them in Week 6)
“Just us executing. I think you go all the way back to that game – it was so long ago – but we did execute well on that first drive. Then, from there on out, we didn’t execute at all. It’s just up to us executing every play, every down and every series. They’re a good defense, they’re a good team and we’ve got to be on our stuff if we want to do our best in this game. We like what we’re doing so far this week and just have to keep it going.”

(On if there is an explanation for him only recording 78 passing yards in the Week 6 game against San Francisco)
“They did a good job on defense and we didn’t execute. We didn’t do anything that we’re nearly capable of and they did a great job on defense.”

(On how much of a difference he thinks it will it make having RB Todd Gurley II available against the 49ers)
“It’s big. He’s (RB Todd Gurley II) one of our best players and one of our guys that we want to get the ball to. If we can get him rolling – it’s always one of our goals – and no different this week.”

(On teams like the Saints and Falcons presenting the 49ers problems in the quick passing game over the last few weeks and if the Rams will look to do the same this weekend)
“They’re a good defense, they’re tough to beat. I think you’ve got to try a bunch of different things. We’ve got a good plan already in place. It’s got a bunch of different things involved in it, but it’s going to be a challenge. They are a really good defense, they’re at the top of the league for a reason and have done a good job for most of the year for a reason.”

(On TE Tyler Higbee having more than 100 receiving yards over the last three weeks and if there is anything to be said about their growing connection during this part of the season)
“He’s (TE Tyler Higbee) become a good weapon for us and I think it’s starting to show. I know we’ve always kind of had that belief in him, as far as his ability as a player, but I think he’s been able to capitalize on all his opportunities these last few weeks. Just circumstances have gotten him the ball a lot, and he’s been able to make plays after that. I think he’s been able to put his talent on display. He’s a good weapon for us and will be utilized a lot moving forward.”

(On what Higbee does for him as a target being a bigger player)
“It helps. He does have that big frame, that big wingspan. I can kind of throw it anywhere near him he’s got great hands, he’s shown all that. We do like using him on stuff where I can miss a little bit at times. He can make that play.”

(On not being able to execute and what he works on to overcome that)
“It’s everyday in practice. It starts every day. It starts with today being out there and really talking through everything. Going through the walk-thrus in an efficient way. Just continuing to execute our stuff. Don’t worry about what they’re doing so much, don’t worry about how to specifically do something here or the other. Just execute what we’re doing, execute what your job is every play. Everything will take care of itself.”

(On if it is easy to get caught up in worrying about that sometimes)
“Absolutely, yeah. We get caught up in it all the time. That’s usually when we’re not playing very well is when we’re trying to be a little bit too intricate with what we’re doing. I’m speaking personally, just play, just have fun, play, execute your job, do what you’re supposed to do every play. It’ll take care of itself.”

(On 49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan saying that his defense will try to force him to do things on his own and if that is true with every quarterback or if he sees some quarterbacks who are capable of taking things on their shoulders)
“I think so. I think…I’m not quite sure what your question is.”

(On if he takes it as a criticism if someone says that he is great only when the whole team is on)
“No, I don’t. I think there’s times when that is the case and there’s been times when that isn’t the case. I’ve got a lot of respect for (49ers Head Coach) Kyle (Shanahan), I think he’s a great coach.”

(On WR Cooper Kupp reaching 1,000 receiving yards for the first time in his career this season)
“It’s been great. It’s been really good to see. I think early on you could kind of see his (WR Cooper Kupp) progress from his ACL injury early on in training camp and then through the year – all the strides that he’s made. Then some of those big games he’s had throughout the year. He’s a hard worker, he does everything the right way, works really hard in practice. He’s a very detailed player and I think it’s showing up and he deserves everything.”

(On what he sees from his teammates and knowing how they rebound from losses)
“I know these guys, I know this team, I know who we are. I expect no different this weekend, we respond well throughout the whole season. We’ve faced adversity a handful of times this season and have responded the right way and I don’t expect this to be any different. I think we have a tough challenge up in San Francisco, for sure. I know that we have to bring it and we will.”

(On the difficulty of not thinking about what has to happen to make the playoffs)
“No, cause it doesn’t matter if we don’t win these next two games. Really narrows it down when there’s a million things that can happen, it can be a little bit more distracting earlier on in the season. At this point, if we don’t win the next two it doesn’t matter who wins or who loses outside of us. So, you can really focus on yourself and everyday in practice it’s very singular-focused on what we need to do.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky456December 18, 2019 12:50AM