Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: 49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan - Conference Call - Dec. 17, 2019

December 17, 2019 01:49PM

(On what he’s seen from Rams QB Jared Goff over the course of the season)
“I’m a huge fan of (Rams Qcool smiley Jared Goff. He’s one of the better quarterbacks in this league. I think he’s done a hell of a job these last few years since (Rams Head Coach) Sean (McVay) has got there. I think when the team’s on, I think Goff plays as good as anyone in this league. Hopefully you can make it so he has to do a lot of stuff by himself and hopefully you can get after him, put some pressure on him. He’s as accurate and as consistent as any quarterback I’ve seen.”

(On what he’s seen of the Rams and how he expects them to be different from the last time they played)
“I thought they were pretty good then and I see them pretty similar now. I think they’ve been one of the better teams here over the last month. I thought they were playing pretty good when we played them last time. I know they added (Rams Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey), I know they got (Rams Lcool smiley Clay (Matthews) back, which helps a ton. I think their defense – you take away a couple games this year, the Baltimore game and stuff or maybe Tampa, where it statistically got out of hand. You take away a couple of those games and they’re – without a doubt – a top-five defense. Their offense, they’ve always been able to throw the ball they’ve got their run game going here over the last month, too. That’s why I think if they can find a way to get into the playoffs, they’re going to be as scary as any team.”

(On when looking at the Rams against the Ravens and Cowboys if he thinks it’s more of schematic fits or power-run teams having their way with the Rams defense)
“I think they got real good players and they’ve got a good scheme. It depends on what they want to defend. I think last week, when you watch the final tape, you don’t see a team just running it down their throats. You see a few hits and you see a lot of misses and that’s usually where it goes. Unless you convert on third down and be able to stick with that run, you’re not going to have a good run game. Anytime a game gets out of hand a little bit – like it did at the end of the second quarter – I think it was a 7-7 game halfway through the second quarter and someone fell on a natural pick-play, where the guy was on the ground and they got an explosive and they got a couple of turnovers for a change. Then, they got a big lead at halftime, which allows you to kind of just stick with the run and wear them down a little bit. Usually when that happens, that’s usually when it becomes very tough to stop the run.”

(On how different it has been for him and his staff this season compared to the first couple of seasons in terms of the mentality of the players and the vibe around the organization)
“It’s been great. Obviously, winning and not losing, so we went through a big grind these first two years. There’s a lot of tough things we went through in those first two seasons. But, one thing that I did feel good about in those two seasons, regardless of the tough times we went through, is it seemed like everyone stuck together very well, which is tough to do in this league when you go through some turmoil like that. Our guys stuck together, which made it feel like we had the right guys. We added two difference makers here at the beginning of the year. I think we came out the gate pretty fast and showed everyone that we’re a little bit different team. I think people noticed pretty quickly, or at least earlier in the year. I think our team’s very used to people noticing that. We’ve been dealing with that for a while. I think our guys have handled it well, just like you guys did when you guys came out doing that a couple of years ago. Now we’re here getting it a little bit towards the end, but nothing has changed. Every game is still just as important as the next. We’ve got two here left, trying to get in a good position here in the playoffs. Same thing the Rams are trying to do. It’s a battle, it’s a battle every year. Whether you’re a losing team or winning team, it never gets easy. It usually only gets harder and that’s where we’re at now. We’re very excited to be here and excited to have a game like this to play on Saturday.”

(On updates on the 49ers injuries)
“(49ers DL) Dee Ford is not practicing. We’re having a walk-thru today, but (49ers CB Richard) Sherman will be full out there. (49ers S Jaquiski) Tartt is not practicing, (49ers DT) Jullian Taylor is not practicing, (49ers Ccool smiley K’Wuan (Williams) is out of concussion protocol, so he’ll be able to practice. (49ers OL) Mike Person is limited with a sore neck.”

(On if he thinks there is something about 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo that allows him to be able to learn and bounce back to avoid back-to-back losses)
“I do think (49ers Qcool smiley Jimmy (Garoppolo) is very good at learning from what he does good and learning from his mistakes. Stuff doesn’t affect him usually and linger to the next week. He usually improves and gets better after he makes mistakes. That’s something I’ve noticed about him a lot here over these last two and a half years. It’s also, he’s the quarterback, he’s not a pitcher. It’s 11-on-11 out there, it’s a full team game. Anytime they talk about quarterbacks influencing losses and stuff, I always look at the tape individually, but I rarely go to quarterbacks with their record and things like that.”

(On the Rams never losing two games in a season to a divisional opponent and what he sees in McVay’s ability to make adjustments in rematches)
“I mean Sean is as good as it gets. Sean’s one of the top coaches in this league – does a hell of a job. Again, just like the question about Jimmy, Sean’s a good coach and he’s got a real good team. So, it doesn’t surprise me the stats you just said, but I know Sean’s always going to give them the best chance.”

(On what 49ers WR Emmanuel Sanders has brought to their offense)
“(49ers WR) Emmanuel (Sanders), just the player – everyone knows that he’s a good player. He’s come in and made a number of plays for us, which has helped a ton. Also, just him as a person, didn’t know him before he got here, but he’s been such a pro. He’s been able to learn the offense right away. You know the first week he got here he was able to come in and play almost every play. He works week in and week out, knows how to take care of his body, knows how to get it ready for Sunday. We got a really young group of receivers, so it’s been great to get him in the room – a veteran who’s done it before, who’s had that pressure on him. Who’s won a Super Bowl before. It started with the talent that we brought here, but the guy has even been better than advertised.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky282December 17, 2019 01:49PM