Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay - Media Availability - Dec. 16, 2019

December 17, 2019 12:21AM

(Opening Remarks)
“From an injury standpoint from yesterday’s game, (Ccool smiley Troy Hill, he did fracture his thumb. He had surgery today. There’s a possibility that we could cast that and he could play this week, but we’ll see how he’s feeling and what his pain tolerance looks like as the week progresses. (K) Greg Zuerlein had a low strain quad as well. We do expect him to be able to play, but we’ll kick him later in the week and see how he’s feeling. We kind of have started to make sure we get our ducks in a row – in case that he isn’t able to go – with some of the names that are out there. We’ll have some updates on that later this week, but we do feel good about, hopefully, him being able to kick. I know everybody will want to talk about (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff’s) thumb. He was feeling good, came in checked out today. That’s a positive for him.”

(On how Goff injured his thumb)
“It was on the interception. He came down on – I think it was (T Andrew) Whitworth’s helmet. You could see his thumb comes down on it right when he was finishing that throw. I believe that’s the play that it occurred on.”

(On if Goff’s thumb is only bruised or if the injury is more serious)
“Yeah, it was a nice contusion. Really, any sort of thing that – especially for a quarterback – any part of your hand – I think can severely alter your ability to throw the football. He was able to kind of get through it and fortunately, today he woke up and was feeling better.”

(On which thumb Hill injured)
“I can picture the play when he came in for a tackle and he was kind of grabbing that. I think it is his right thumb. When I’m picturing the play, he came in on a ‘cap off’ on a 3rd down-and-three run. I think it was his right thumb, but we’ll find out for 100 percent certain. When I’m visualizing the play and I think it was his right thumb.”

NOTE: The Rams Communications Department later confirmed the injury was to Hill’s right thumb.

(On if DB Darious Williams would play in Hill’s position should he miss Saturday’s game and what Williams has shown this season)
“Yeah. I thought he (DB Darious Williams) did a nice job. Really, just in terms of his competes, his toughs, you look at the way that he was able to make some plays. I thought he made a nice play – any time that you get it called back – but it looked like he made a good break on the one that was an interception. But then it ended up getting overruled and you can’t do anything about that. Then, the one play where he ended up kind of getting rubbed off with he and (S) Taylor (Rapp) colliding, that was kind of a freak-type deal. Thought he stepped in, did a really nice job and you can see the game’s not too big for him. Made a couple good breaks, had a couple other opportunities, but I thought he did a really nice job yesterday.”

(On what it means for WR Cooper Kupp getting 1,000 yards receiving for the first time in his career)
“He’s (WR Cooper Kupp) meant a lot and I think you said it, ‘It’s the ultimate team game.’ It’s bitter sweet when you accomplish it in a game where you don’t get the result or play anywhere close to what we expect to and what we want to and what we has to as we finish out this season. He’s had a great season. I think it’s a real credit to his ability to come off of an injury and play at this level. Just the way he takes care of himself and the way he goes about it, you love working with him. He’s a player that’s only going to continue to get better. He’s done a really good job.”

(On Kupp receiving most his catches in the second half and what was going on with him early on)
“Really, we just didn’t have really any sort of drive continuity. We weren’t converting on third downs, they did a good job on their offensive, side being able to sustain some drives and then the next thing you know, the score is what it is. We make no excuses about it, we didn’t play good enough – I was pleased with the way the guys finished. You don’t ever have any sort of moral victories, but I was interested to see how we continued to compete, especially offensively, even though it was, what it was and they were playing more softer zone-coverages and just to get some completions, get into a little bit of a rhythm was important to finish out that way.”

(On if reviewing the film from the game was as bad watching it as it was living through it)
“Yeah. It wasn’t very good. Really, in a lot of instances, it’s never as bad, it’s never as good as you think, but a lot of the things that we felt like after the game, I think, kind of showed up. The expectation and the confidence that I do have in our players and in our team to be able to execute and just do the fundamental things that you have to be able to do to win in this league, we really just didn’t do. That’s not the norm for us. I don’t expect that to be a theme as we finish out and as we move forward into San Francisco. Defensively, not tackling, not maintaining some of our gap integrity, playing our leverages right in coverage. Those are things that we pretty much, for the most part, done a really nice job of. We didn’t do that yesterday. Again, you give Dallas credit for being able to force some of those missed tackles and things like that. That was a big result as some of the production that they had. Just not finishing some of the plays and then offensively, a lot of the same. Not attacking some of the blocks the way that we had talked about, not just making standard throws and making the catches, creating some separation. A lot of the things that are really just instrumental from a fundamentals and techniques standpoint to be able to play good football, we didn’t really do and didn’t give ourselves a chance to be in that game as a result of that.”

(On if it has been harder this year to turn games back around when they start to go bad considering last year when the team posted big come-from-behind wins against Green Bay and New Orleans not seemingly being able to do so this season)
“What you’re saying is accurate. I think when we fell behind against Tampa and we ended up cutting it to a one-possession game where I think it was 48-40 at that point, or something like that. Where you had a chance to get back into it and when (Ravens Ccool smiley Marcus (Peters) ended up having an interception return. We haven’t found a way to finish those things. That’s something that we’ve got to continuously look at. Got to do a good job and that’s where there’s always the emphasis of starting fast and making sure we do a good job with those things. When things don’t always go our way, our ability to kind of slow it down, stop the bleeding if you will, and somebody be able to make that play. That’s all of us in this thing together and that’s something that we have not done a good enough job of this year, for sure.”

(On if he is glad this is a short week after a loss like yesterday and if that forces him to look ahead)
“Yeah, I think you’re glad you get another opportunity. Again, like anything else, you don’t shy away from the things that clearly that we didn’t do good enough to win a football game in this league and when you go to a tough atmosphere like that. We knew what they were capable of and we had a lot of respect for the Cowboys and they did an excellent job of executing their gameplan. A lot of the things that they did were the things that we said it was going to take on our end to be able to win that football game. They did the things that we wanted to be able to do and that’s where the result comes in. I think the one thing that we’ll talk about it, and I think it is true is, there’s been a lot of different things that have occurred this season. We’ve had some good moments, we’ve clearly had some moments that were not the most fun to endure. I think the thing that our guys feel and I know our coaches feel this way and players – you can’t be afraid to put yourself out there, go for it every single week knowing that, that feeling that you wake up this morning – that pit in your stomach, that sickness that you just feel deep down inside is no fun. The only way you get rid of it is by going back to work and trying to find a way to work harder for your players, guys doing their job individually. Then when you do get that result that you want, that feeling is better than how bad the other feeling is. Just to be able to be resilient, be mentally tough and that’s what we’re going to continue to do. Everybody wants to talk about, ‘Well, what does that mean for the season?’ I know this there’s a lot of work that goes into knowing that you’re guaranteed 16 ops and for us we have our 15th opportunity this week against a really good football team. Like I said yesterday, there’s a lot of guys in our locker room that have some pride about what they put on tape week in and week out. I think they want to compete for all the right reasons and that’s what I expect us to do this week.”

(On what the loss to the Cowboys means for their season)
“It means that we’re going to compete to the best of our ability in Week 15. Mathematically, you still give yourself a chance. We know this, you’ve got to be able to go take care of your business if you want to even talk about after that. But for us, the sole focus and concentration is on handling your business. We didn’t do that yesterday, so now there’s a little bit higher level of urgency – not a higher level of urgency, but you have a smaller margin for error in terms of enabling yourself a chance to play after the regular season. Whether we’re officially eliminated or whether we’re still competing to have a chance to compete in the playoffs, I expect the guys to respond the right way because that’s what we’re made of. I think that’s what the team that this is, the character that these players have – that these coaches have. Whether you’re competing to play for a postseason or whether you’re competing because it’s about an opportunity to go try and attack our ninth win. That’s what we’re doing.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky363December 17, 2019 12:21AM