Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay - Media Availability - Dec. 13, 2019

December 14, 2019 06:22AM

(Opening Remarks)
“From an injury standpoint, (TE) Gerald Everett will be out. We will rule him out for the game. (T) Rob Havenstein, while he was a full participant in practice, will be doubtful for the game. Then, (WR) Nsimba Webster should be good to go and then (Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley II) had his normal rest day on Friday.”

(On if the plan is to have OL Bobby Evans start on Sunday)
“Yeah, if that’s the case, we will keep it the same as what it’s been.”

(On how this year has compared to the last couple of years in terms of maneuvering through injuries)
“It’s been different, but it’s been something that inevitably you have to be able to deal with. I think it’s been a great learning experience for myself. You continue to gain the appreciation for the accumulation of experience as you just learn and navigate through the inevitable – good and bad times that come with being in this role. I think what it does give you is a perspective and an appreciation for how healthy we’ve been able to stay the first couple of years. Then when you look around, some of these things are not really preventable and that’s what you have to be able to deal with. I think it’s been a great opportunity to see guys continue to get opportunities, maximize those chances that they’ve gotten and us to work through some things that we haven’t had a chance to before. I know I’m learning a lot and you kind of appreciate it. It certainly gives you a better perspective on what’s been really, some unique things that we’ve been able to have taken place over our first couple of years – in terms of the health that we’ve had.”

(On using IR less than most other teams in the NFL)
“We’ve had more injuries than we have had over the previous couple of years. When you look around the league, this is kind of par for the course and the first two years are not the norm. I think it’s a credit to (Director of Sports Medicine and Performance) Reggie (Scott) and his staff. Even before we got here as a coaching staff, there had been a consistency in terms of the amount of injuries – some preventable some not – but I do think the things that you can do in terms of implementing sound process and procedures for the players to try to limit their exposure to some of these things that do take place. That’s been a really credit to what these guys were doing way before I got here.”

(On it seeming like every week there is someone on the injury report)
“I think it’s such a physical game too, where you get those bumps and bruises and then sometimes you get the soft tissue injuries or get a guy that is in a skilled position. You look at a Gerald Everett, because of the need, sometimes these are things that wouldn’t keep another position out maybe quite as long. It’s kind of by each individual and ultimately what’s best for the player and then how that affects the team.”

(On if TE Tyler Higbee has surprised him in the last two games or done something he has not seen in practice or game situations)
“I would say surprised, but I think he’s (TE Tyler Higbee) done what we always thought he could do and it’s great to be able to see him do it in these real games. He’s shown that kind of stuff in practice. I think it’s great that he’s wouldn’t gotten the opportunity to deliver in a big way on really, first down, second down and third downs. I think, like anything else, the more experience you get, and then the more success you have, the more your confidence grows. He’s always been a confident player, but certainly, there’s I think, a lot of confidence that he can draw off from what he’s done over the last couple of weeks – playing well in all phases. Talking about protection, run game and then also when he’s used as a pass receiver.”

(On RB Todd Gurley II’s comment on TE Johnny Mundt excitement to block and how would he describe his role over the last couple of weeks)
“He’s been big. I think he’s a selfless team player and he epitomizes some of the things that you want to see. I think guys that get excited, what you love so much about our team in general, is how excited the teammates get watching people compete without the ball. That’s one of the things that you love about our receiving core as well. I think (TE) Johnny Mundt has been outstanding. He’s a guy, that when you look at the Chicago game, that was by far the most amount of snaps that he had ever played, did it in one game, delivered in a big way and then last week, represented a lot of the same. He’s done a great job and he’s a great competitor. It’s fun watching him go. I know the defensive guys really get excited watching him do it as well.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky311December 14, 2019 06:22AM