Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips, RB Todd Gurley II - Media Availability - Dec. 12, 2019

December 13, 2019 12:20AM
TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips, RB Todd Gurley II - Media Availability - Dec. 12, 2019

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay
(On if there are any injury updates on the team)
“Not yet, really, it’s the same as what it was yesterday. (T) Rob (Havenstein) is scheduled to practice. We just finished up a walk-thru and then we will have practice here in about 30 minutes or so. (TE) Gerald (Everett) will be out, he actually was sick today as well. I sent him home with a stomach virus, but then Rob is scheduled to practice, so we will see how he is feeling.”

(On if Everett is just out for today)
“For today, yeah.”

(On if he had more time to study the Cowboys and if he is surprised a team like the Cowboys are under .500 with the amount of talent they have)
“You see a really good team when you look at the tape – they’re very dangerous and explosive in really all three phases. Sometimes, it’s such a competitive league, how things shake out, whether you end up winning or losing, is such a small margin for error. I know this, what you look at and what you see on tape is a very good football team and we’ve got to be ready to go. They are in first place in their division. They have a lot of great players, great coaches and we know this team from playing them the last couple of years and we certainly know what a great challenge it’s going to be for us at their place.”

(On if he notices QB Jared Goff and TE Tyler Higbee’s relationship off the field)
“Oh yeah, those guys are good buddies. I think we’ve got a connected team overall, but those are two guys, I know they hang out outside of the facilities. They are good buddies.”

(On if he thinks Goff’s and Higbee’s off-the-field connection can carry over to the field)
“That’s a good question. I think there is so much communication that goes on in the absences of coaches in the huddle, at the line of scrimmage, that’s one thing that I’ve gain an appreciation for. Getting the talk to our linemen more, even just talking to the players when you just realize when you’re on the sidelines, there is so much that goes on in-between those lines. I certainly don’t think it hurts their rapport. I think there is a certain comfort level because of that relationship that exists. I’ve heard this said before, that ‘Loyalty is having the strength to tell people things they need to hear, not what they want to hear.’ I think when you have a great relationship, like those two do, a loyalty can exist. Sometimes you don’t have to worry about being able to have conversations that sometimes help you move forward, that I think is beneficial for any team to have, but I think it’s especially helpful when you do have that foundational relationship like those two.”

(On if there is a sense of waking the sleeping giant that they don’t want to wake up when facing the Cowboys when considering how they are performing and the talent on their roster)
“I think we are playing a great team that’s been in the playoffs. We played them in the divisional round last year. They won their division. They’ve played really good football in some instances. Then, they’ve had some things similar to us that I’m sure they expect to play at a higher rate. There is no doubt that our players take this very seriously. They know the level of urgency and the edge that’s going to be needed for us to be able to come away with the win at their place. I think they’re a really tough team, I don’t know about a sleeping giant, they’re a giant in terms of getting ready for them and getting ready to go. There’s a lot of respect on our end. I think you throw records out the door. That’s the one thing this year – especially as it kind of demonstrated – when you look at it and you see when this team is really operating on all three levels, at the efficient level is that that they’re capable of and that they’ve done for a good portion of this season, it’s going to take a great effort from our team to get it done.”

(On what he remembers from the Rams' last regular season game against the cowboys in 2017)
“It was a big game. I thought that game, really in a lot of ways, represented because of the caliber of team that they were being our fourth game like you mentioned. I thought it was a great step to be able to go on the road against a team that had a first-round bye the previous year. I want to say they had gone like 7 and 1 at their place. For us to be able and go in there and be able to get it done, especially coming from behind. I thought it was a true team effort. Defense got great stops. Offensively, we ended up coming from behind. Everybody remembers the (RB Todd) Gurley (II) seam play that kind of gave us the lead and we never relinquished it. Then (K) Greg Zuerlein was unbelievable with all the kicks that he made, so it was a great team win. I thought to be able to finish that first quarter of the season 3-1 gave the guys a lot of good feelings – it was a special memory. We’re got to be ready to go again.”

(On what he remembers about Gurley II’s big play against the Cowboys last year)
“I just remember seeing how explosive he is. It’s one of those deals, (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) did a great job getting the ball out in the timing and rhythm, got through his progression. He hits Todd on the seam, see (WR) Josh Reynolds make a great crack-back block that would be illegal now on (Cowboys S) Jeff Heath. I just remember thinking wow, it was like he was shot out of a canon. You talk about signature play – kind of similar to the screen he had against Tennessee. Those are a couple of those plays that you sit back as a coach and you’re thinking, ‘Damn, I’m glad he’s on our team. That was a really good play. At the moment too, we really needed that.”

(On if he has seen Gurley II have any of those wow moments this season)
“Yeah, I think his touchdown last week. I haven’t seen a stiff arm like that, that was a wow moment. I thought that was an exclamation point on the game too, especially because of the way the second half had gone. he had some good runs and some big time plays, but I thought that play really put an exclamation point on the night’s work where he bounces it out. (Seahawks CB Tre) Flowers has been a physical corner that’ll come up in run support and ended up catching him perfectly with a stiff arm and ends up going in on the left side to go up and score 28 right there. That was big, so that was a wow moment for me.”

(On any other moments besides Gurley II's stiff arm that was a wow moment for him)
“When you look at the Arizona game, I thought one of the runs he had at the end of the first quarter. It’s a shame the one got called back where he scored the touchdown, that was a great moment. Then I thought the one run on the similar concept that he had at the end of the first quarter where he’s running through tackles, you hear the crowd going crazy. Where I was looking I couldn’t see – it was almost a response where you think ‘Oh, shoot did the ball get fumbled?’ It was because he was still up breaking tackles, that was another wow moment. There’s one for you and each of the last two weeks, how’s that? (laughs).”

Rams Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips
(Opening Remarks)
“Dallas – obviously, their offense is leading the league in offense. Their quarterback’s (QB Dak Prescott) thrown for over 4,000 yards, he’s leading the league in passing. They’ve got a great running back who’s over 1,000 yards in (RB Ezekiel) Elliott. (WR Amari) Cooper has over 1,000 yards as a receiver, (WR Michael) Gallup has 900-something. They’re the No. 1 offense in the league, so that obviously presents a big challenge.”

(On the difference between former Cowboys Offensive Coordinator Scott Linehan and current Cowboys Offensive Coordinator Kellen Moore)
“They had a good team last year. We played them, in the what? The second round of the playoffs. I think the quarterback (Prescott) has really improved. He was a good player already, but I think he’s obviously leading the league in passing. He’s really stepped up this year in his fourth year with maturity and knowing, basically, more about the quarterback position. He’s done a great job. Overall, offensively, they’ve had one of the – still have one of the best offensive lines in the league. Everybody acknowledges that, also. Least number of sacks in the league, you could go on and on. I don’t want to go too much further – I get depressed.”

(On what worked well enough to allow the defense to record 5.0 sacks on Seahawks QB Russell Wilson last week)
“Well, we’ve got a good rush. Our coverage – it’s a combination, our coverage and our rush. It’s no secret, we’re playing more man (coverage) than we have, and it makes the quarterback hold it a little longer. (Seahawks Qcool smiley Russell (Wilson) is always a problem no matter what, but our guys did a great job up front and staying after him, because not all of those were on schedule. We just didn’t beat them and sack the quarterback all the time. Some of it was him moving around, our guys being aware that he was going to do those things and be able to catch him sometimes.”

(On how he feels the defense has played in the two games following Baltimore in Week 12)
“To me, it’s similar to the team last year. I think we’re hitting our identity defensively and team-wise, too. But really, defensively – the last part of the year – I think we’re getting a good feel for each other, what we can do and what we can’t do. Our limitations, our strengths and we’re playing off our strengths.”

(On if he thinks Rams DT Aaron Donald should be considered for the Defensive Player of the Year award)
“(DT) Aaron Donald, yeah. He’s the best one I’ve seen. He doesn’t have 20.0 sacks this year, but I think he’s played stronger in the running game than he has before, too. That’s hard to say because he played great already, but he’s played really strong in the running game. Our average per rush is a lot better than it was last year. We’ve improved in that area and I think he’s part of that, too.”

(On CB Troy Hill’s role and what challenges he’s faced since the changes in personnel in the secondary, specifically regarding the addition of CB Jalen Ramsey)
“No. 1 with (Ccool smiley Troy Hill, when (Ccool smiley Jalen Ramsey’s on the other side, he’s going to get more action. But, he’s stepped up. I think that he knew that was the challenge. Our secondary coach (Cornerbacks Coach Aubrey Pleasant) did a great job of challenging him on that. He’s gained a lot of confidence by – even though they’re throwing at him a lot, he’s made some plays, which is giving him confidence. He’s got all the tools. He can run fast – he’s really fast, he’s athletic and he can go up and get the ball.”

(On if Hill has shown him something he didn't already know about)
“No, I think we knew that, overall. That’s why we wanted to give him an opportunity to play. He’s still young in his career, but I think he’s come along real well.”

(On how he and other coaches process film, where unlike most fans watching the games, they are able to see a player’s impact subtle impact on a game even when it’s not apparent statistically – such as a player like Ramsey)
“Yeah, the thing that we see on our tape or film, it’s just like Aaron Donald. Aaron Donald gets double-teamed so much that well, does that effect the game? Obviously, it does and he still makes plays and it’s the same thing with Jalen. He didn’t get thrown at a whole lot, but he’s there when they try to throw it at him. You limit what the other team can do sometimes by them playing well. He’s done that. He also goes against the best receivers. Some of the times, he goes against the best receiver. He’s played different positions, which he’s getting more and more accustomed to, I think, within our scheme. You don’t have many, or I hadn’t had many that you’d say, ‘Well, we’re going to cover this, this guy’s going to cover the other team’s best receiver this game or every game or whatever.’ But, he’s one of those guys that can.”

(On what he sees out of Cowboys WR Amari Cooper)
“Amari Cooper is obviously one of the top receivers in the league. You’ve got a quarterback that’s thrown for a whole lot of yards, but he’s over 1,000 yards already. He’s one of the top receivers, like I said, they’ve got one of the top running backs, top receivers, top quarterback and top offensive line. (Cowboys TE) Jason Witten is still pretty good. They’ve got a formidable group.”

(On what explains how a team with so much talent like the Cowboys is under .500)
“They’re in first place in their division. We’d like to be first place in our division. I don’t know all that. I don’t worry about all that.”

(On if he still has a place in his heart for the Cowboys and going back to Dallas after previously serving as the head coach of the Cowboys)
“I have been with so many teams that every game could be a revenge game. I want our players to play the best. If you know me, I don’t hold grudges about anything, especially somewhere where they gave me a job – a head coaching job and gave me an opportunity. (Cowboys Head Coach) Jason Garrett was my offensive coordinator and he did a good job for me. He should have taken over at the time and he did. He’s done a better job head coaching than I did. Hopefully, I’m a pretty good defensive coordinator and that’s kind of my niche. (Cowboys Owner) Jerry Jones, I said it before, but I can’t repay him ever for what he did when my dad’s funeral where he flew the whole family in. He took care of the catering and everything. It still shakes me up a little bit. I can’t ever repay him for that.”

(On the Los Angeles sports landscape being different than the Cowboys in Dallas and if he ever misses the intensity of the coverage)
“It’s different. It’s so much different that I’d say 50 percent of the people that say, ‘Hey, Wade Phillips - the Dallas Cowboys!” They have a lot of great fans and a great following, and they should have.”

Rams RB Todd Gurley II
(On what he saw when he watched his stiff-arm touchdown from Week 14’s game against Seattle on film)
“It’s a stiff arm. Not my first time stiff-arming (anybody). Just a regular stiff arm.”

(On what he appreciates about Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott)
“Zeke’s (Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott) always been a beast. He’s been a beast and everyone’s known since (he) was running all over Alabama at Ohio State. Then, going to ‘America’s Team’ with the Cowboys and doing the celebrations. He’s just a good running back, good for the league, good to have guys like that. Definitely deserved everything he got because he definitely worked hard for it.”

(On if he feels more rested at this point of the season compared to Week 15 of last season)
“It’s Week 15 in the league, there isn’t anybody feeling rested. It’s Week 15 – no one in this league is feeling well-rested.”

(On playing behind an offensive line with two rookies, OL Austin Corbett and OL Austin Blythe and what’s impressed him most about the way they have played)
“They (OL Austin Corbett and OL Austin Blythe) are doing their job, just like everyone else. that’s just how it goes, one man goes down, another man’s got to step up, go in there and do your job. It’s as simple as that, honestly.”

(On what he remembers from their last regular season game against Dallas in 2017)
“It was a good game. It came down towards the end. Offense did a pretty good job and then defense ended up getting a good stop. We all know we won the game, that’s all I do know.”

(On if the catch and run touchdown he made in the game stands out to him at all)
“Last time I did something like that, so, yeah, it was pretty cool. First and last time, actually.”

(On if that play was a different kind of way that he had been used in his first couple of seasons with the Rams)
“We still run that play. Great play by (WR) Josh (Reynolds), honestly. Probably wouldn’t have scored if it wasn’t for him. We still have all those plays.”

(On if there is a different feeling on the team since the offense has been rolling the last two games)
“I mean, we’re are winning…We’ve been more consistent lately, I can say that just as far as the performance the last two games. I feel like we’ve been doing a pretty good job the last month or so.”

(On if he agrees with QB Jared Goff’s statement that if he makes it easier on the offense when he is in a rhythm and getting more touches)
“I feel like we all feed off of each other. I don’t really have to explain too much. You see the results over the last couple of years. When we are running the ball, stuff is going well, stuff is opening up. So, it’s not too much, really, to explain. We’ve just got to go out there and do it, whether it’s in the passing game or the running game.”

(On if he is having more fun now that he’s more involved)
“Football is always fun.”

(On if he heard Goff’s comment about his stiff-arm touchdown against the Seahawks in Week 14)
“Sound like I suck, and then made a good play (laughs). Yeah I guess so.”

(On what he sees from his perspective when watching CB Jalen Ramsey operate in contrast to perhaps what fans are seeing where Ramsey has not appeared to have many highlight plays)
“That’s what’s going to happen if you get a top corner. (Ccool smiley Jalen’s (Ramsey) a different kind of corner. You’re not going to throw at him. If you do, then it’s not going to be good. What do you want out of this guy?”

(On if he has an appreciation and can see as a player that teams are not going at Ramsey and that he is shutting down one side of the field)
“Yeah, that was probably one of the main reasons I guess we got him. Everyone’s seen what he’s done over the past couple of years. Made Pro Bowl, All-Pro Team. He’s been doing this since he’s been at Florida State. It’s just kind of what kind of player he is.”

(On if he thinks the Cowboys are better than their record)
“Everyone’s better than their record. They’re just not in a good place right now, but (expletive) they’re in a better place than us because they’re going to make the playoffs. I don’t know why everyone’s concerned about them. As long as they take care of what they need to take care of, they’ll still be playing in January.”

(On how important TE Tyler Higbee and TE Johnny Mundt have been to the offense in the run game and the pass game)
“(TE) Johnny Mundt, we’ve been going to different personnel and he’s been able to get an opportunity to play. He’s been having fun, he’s been out there enjoying it. I haven’t seen someone more excited to block than him and (WR) Robert Woods. Johnny Mundt, he’s stepped up tremendously. (TE Tyler) Higbee, he’s been doing what he’s been doing at practice. He’s just doing it in a game now. That’s a good thing for him to be able to have back-to-back 100 yards games. Because he’s been here for three or four years and I just want to see a guy shine and have his game the way he’s been practicing and working for it every day.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky368December 13, 2019 12:20AM