Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips, RB Todd Gurley II - Media Availability - Dec. 5, 2019

December 06, 2019 12:32AM
TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips, RB Todd Gurley II - Media Availability - Dec. 5, 2019

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay
(On updates regarding TE Gerald Everett and T Rob Havenstein)
“They’re (TE Gerald Everett and T Rob Havenstein) in the same kind of status as they were. Still day-to-day and we’ll see how they’re feeling later on this week. Making good progress – whether that means they’re able to go or not, we haven’t determined that yet.”

(On if there would be hesitation to put Havenstein in the game with how T Bobby Evans has played in his absence)
“(T) Bobby (Evans) has done a really nice job and Rob’s put a lot of good tape on. He’s put a lot of really good film on display for the last couple years. When he’s ready to go, we’ll evaluate that deal. He’s done a great job mentoring Bobby in the meantime. I think that says a lot about just the type of guy he is and we know what a productive player he’s been for us.”

(On if coaching changes from one segment of the season to the next)
“I would say it’s an ongoing evolution of staying up to date with the constant changes that go on both with your team or with the opponent. Kind of just staying up to date with what goes on. Nothing really changes – I think the changes occur every single day. To be able to seamlessly handle those and have a consistency, process and rhythm that you want to be committed to while also not being so set in it that you can adjust and adapt. I’d say that’s probably the best way that we would look at that. The one thing that does adjust once you get into the later parts of the season – just with the way that the physicality of this game kind of takes a tole on guys as they start to accumulate the game reps, you want to be smarter about still getting all the work you need to prepare for a game. But, you do pull back a little bit physically in some of the early parts of the week.”

(On the challenges that come with going against the speed and physicality in Seahawks Head Coach Pete Carroll’s defense)
“I think you see that. The one thing that I think he’s (Seahawks Head Coach Pete Carroll) done such a great job of since he’s been there – and really going back to his time at ‘SC’ (University of Southern California) – there’s a clear-cut philosophy, there’s an identity that they want to embody. You can see it show up on the tape. I think that’s a big thing and you talked about it, it’s physicality, it’s speed, it’s all about the ball where they’re relentlessly pursuing it. You look at the amount of times that they’ve forced more fumbles than anybody in the league. They’ve done a great job – especially over the last few weeks – of taking the ball away. They’ve got a great leader in (Lcool smiley Bobby Wagner, they’ve added some guys that you’re certainly feeling a lot on the tape when you watch the impact that their D-line’s making. You add (S) Quandre Diggs on the backend and to accompany him with the two corners they have – (SS Bradley) McDougald’s a really good foortball player, (Lcool smiley K.J. Wright’s been doing his thing for a long time. They’re very, very difficult, sound. They play hard, they play physical, they play fast. I think those are all the things you see that show up on the tape.”

(On the challenges in gameplanning against a Seahawks team that makes a lot of off-schedule plays)
“I think, really, that’s been consistent since (Seahawks Qcool smiley Russell (Wilson) has been the quarterback. He does a great job of using his athleticism to buy time, but still remain a passer. A lot of those off-schedule plays too – now that you’re seeing – occur in the pocket. There’s a timing and rhythm that you want to operate with, but then certain things break down. He’s got such a good feel that if the protection is there or there’s nobody that got edge, he can just move and be able to keep his eyes down the field and be able to hitch in place. He’s got such a great spatial awareness that you see him – and then guys have a good feel for being able to work. Then, when he does break contain, that’s where you’re really thinking, ‘Man, there’s a chance for him to create big plays all the time.’ They’ve got the weapons to be able to do that with him running the show.”

(On if he got any calls or texts regarding his comment about not being an idiot with RB Todd Gurley II because there was a lot of reactions to it)
“A couple of my friends, just being able to like screenshot something, but I didn’t see on the internet.”

(On if any other coaches texted him)
“No. I think you try to learn from it, but if you saw it, I was saying …I don’t really think I’m an idiot most of the time. Do you think I’m an idiot? (laughs)”

REPORTER: “In the Steelers game, maybe.”

(On response)
“Touché. I like that, all right. Hey, shots fired, I got that. That’s almost as good as her leaving the hair gel for me (laughs).”

(On what the difference is when he has LB Clay Matthews in the lineup)
“Just the impact that he (LB Clay Matthews) can make. This is a very versatile player for us. He can do a lot of different things. He has consistently done a great job of understanding how to affect the quarterback. He’s seen so many different things, too that he’s able to anticipate and knows what to expect. I think you’re just seeing a really high level of play from him since he’s been healthy, since he’s been able to go. Then you’ve missed him, but I thought it as a good reflection of the depth with somebody like (OLcool smiley Samson (Ebukam) stepping up. Clay has done a great job for us.”

(On if he feels like his defense is better equipped to handle the Seahawks now than it was before)
“I think we expect to play better in some areas. We know what a great challenge it is, but I’ve got a lot of confidence in our defense. I’ve got a lot of confidence in the plan and our ability to be able to execute it, while also having a healthy respect for the opponent that we’re going against. We’ve got to be at our best. We’ve got to make sure that we come in with the same focus, concentration and urgency that we had going into that Arizona game. When your best players play their best, usually that ends up being a good thing for us.”

(On when they played the Seahawks before and it came down to the last kick and how different both teams are now two months later)
“You can’t say, because we didn’t. It’s hard to say. When you look at it, you always try to just reflect on, ‘All right, when you don’t get the results that you want, all right, what are we doing to try to make sure that our processes is in alignment?’ Even thinking back to last year, you have an appreciation for just what a fine line it is. It comes down to one possession, you end up making those plays. Both of our games against them last year come down to the last possession. We were fortunate enough to come out on the right end of that. First game that we played them this year, it goes their way. We’ve just got to do a great job controlling what we can. To say what would have happened had we made that, it didn’t. We’ve just got to be able to handle whatever it is that’s in front of us and kind of just be where our feet are planted.”

Rams Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips
(Opening Remarks)
“Obviously, this offensive team we’re playing against is very sound. They can run the ball just as good as anybody, basically. We had some trouble a couple of weeks ago against the run. There’s a big challenge there. All kinds of accolades for (Seahawks Qcool smiley Russell Wilson. Probably the best off-schedule passer in the league. Once he gets out of the pocket, he throws it, and he throws it great – on the run, on the move, makes big plays there. You say, ‘Well you’ve got to keep him in the pocket.’ Well, he’s still going to get out. He’s a challenge that way. He’s a great player and obviously helped them win a lot of games. They’ve won a lot of close games that way.”

(On Seahawks RB Chris Carson)
“Obviously, they’ve got a really strong running game – partly because their offensive line is strong and powerful and does a great job. But, the running backs – (Seahawks RB Chris) Carson is having a great year – he’s a power runner, very power runner. He makes 2 or 3 yards extra and that’s why you’ve got to keep in front of him. Then, (RB Rashaad) Penny is also a really good back. Both of them are averaging well, obviously their team is averaging a whole lot of rushing. Again, it’s a big challenge, especially for us. We’ve got to do better against the run.”

(On what his reaction was when S Taylor Rapp made his first-career interception and ran it back for a touchdown)
“(S) Taylor Rapp, he made a great play. He was dropping in zone, saw the quarterback – broke. He did, obviously, what he was supposed to do. He made the play, he’s been making plays, certainly in the running-game. He’s improved throughout the year. Kind of a (S) John Johnson III type improvement, like we saw last year with him. I think Taylor is right along that same path. Certainly, he made a great play. Anytime you can score on defense, that gives you a chance to win.”

(On what’s different with Seahawks QB Russell Wilson than the last three mobile quarterbacks played)
“The difference in Russell Wilson, he’ll will run to make first-downs, certainly, but he runs around to make big plays in the passing game. The receivers do a great job, they do a great job of coming back to him and crossing the field. We talk about plaster, which means once he’s out of the pocket, you’ve got to find the nearest guy and get on him or he’ll complete it to him. He’ll throw it deep, he’ll throw it short, he’ll throw it crossing – whatever it is. He made one of the great throws I’ve seen against us in the first game. That one, he scrambled to his left and threw it, the (WR Tyler) Lockett, touchdown. We actually had really good coverage and he throws it running to his left – a dime – whatever they call it. It seemed like about a $20, $100.”

(On if he thinks Wilson was aiming for Lockett on the touchdown play from the Week 5 matchup against the Seahawks)
“He was throwing it to him, he’s that good.”

(On if Wilson is playing better than the year the Seahawks won Super Bowl XLVIII)
“I think he’s comfortable in their offense, certainly. They’ve added a big, speed wide receiver. I think he’s throwing some deep balls – and one on us. I’ve always thought he was a great player. He’s hard to beat. If there is two minutes left, that’s when he really is a problem. He will run then, to make the first downs on you, or he will throw it to make the first down on you. He’s tough to handle.”

(On if the Seahawks execution and success this season something he has to prepare for separately outside of the regular gameplan)
“You have to prepare for them – their two-minute offense, certainly. We actually stopped them in their four-minute offense last time. Like I said, he makes the right decisions, whether to run it and make the first down or throw it and make the first down and, he’s accurate. It will be a challenge, but we’re looking forward to it, we are looking forward to playing them. We know this is a big game for us and we’re going to treat it that way.”

(On when he watches film on Wilson if he recognizes any weaknesses)
“Weaknesses? No. He’s a Pro-Bowl quarterback. You don’t have many weaknesses if you’re a Pro-Bowl quarterback. Like I said, his decisions are so good, that’s the other thing. He makes a lot of good decisions. He throws the ball exceptionally well. I’m not sure he gets enough credit from that. He really throws from the pocket or out of the pocket, or on the move. He does that as well as anybody.”

(On if his coaching changes in different segments of the season)
“Some people put it in segments. I’ve never done that. It’s the fourth quarter, just like they do in college, it’s the fourth quarter. Certainly, it means a lot, but it’s one at a time. That’s what you can do something about. It’s the biggest game of the year. This is it, until the next one.”

(On what’s the difference in the defense when LB Clay Matthews is on the field)
“(Lcool smiley Clay’s (Matthews) is a very solid, outstanding player. What’s he got, 7.0 or 8.0 sacks already? And he missed three games. He’s just a good football player. He’s all we thought he would be, maybe a little better. He’s came in and done a great job for us.”

Rams RB Todd Gurley II
(On what he expects from the Seahawks on Sunday)
“A good game. It’s always been a good game. Over the last couple of years, we’ve been able to tie (the season series) – usually go one (win) and one (loss). It’s always going to be a good game between us two. We know them well, they know us well. They always fight to the end.”

(On what makes Seahawks LB Bobby Wagner an effective linebacker)
“He’s (Seahawks LB Bobby Wagner) always on the field. Never comes off the field, he’s always staying healthy. I feel like that’s majority of the guys in the league. He’s just a great linebacker. He’s smart, strong and he just knows what’s going on, on the field and he can create turnovers. That’s one of his biggest things – he’s always going to be punching at the ball, raking at the ball. Also, (Seahawks Lcool smiley K.J. Wright as well. Those are two great linebackers. They’ve been playing with each other for quite a while, so they just do their job.”

(On Rams Head Coach Sean McVay blaming himself for not giving Gurley II the ball more early in the season)
“He said it, I didn’t (laughs). That’s all I got to say. I don’t have anything else to say.”

(On if he would like to continue receiving as many carries as he has in recent games)
“It doesn’t matter. Hit you with the same answer – it’s a team sport, man. Only one person gets the ball. We’ve got great running backs in (Rcool smiley Malcolm (Brown) and (Rcool smiley Darrell (Henderson Jr.) as well. Four great receivers and some good tight ends. (TE Tyler) Higbee had a great game last game. Whatever he (Rams Head Coach Sean McVay) calls, I’ll do my part and be ready.”

(On how it’s been for him with a heavier workload in recent games)
“It’s been fine. Obviously, what is it? Week 13, Week 14? Everyone’s kind of feeling the long season. Just got to do what you got to do to get your body right and your mind right for each Sunday.”

(On My Cleats My Cause)
“Something me and my best friend Jameon (Willis) from back home started up – making a difference every day, just trying to do right for the kids. Whether it’s inspiring, you know, just inspiring the youth. Doing kids camps, that’s one thing I’m real big on, whether it’s my camp or doing other camps, just trying to keep inspiring people. Not only my hometown – the city I play in – but then also places I’ve lived in, my friends area’s as well.”

(On what his cause is)
“The cause is Gurley M.A.D.E Foundation ‘Making a Difference Everyday.’ There’s no real specific cause. Right now, it’s just more of just sports camps. Hopefully, next year we can get some basketball camps at potentially Georgia and Duke. Just trying to do it all, not just limiting myself to football, but doing everything.”

(On when it became a priority to be more than an athlete)
“It’s kind of been one of those things I’ve always seen and always imitated others. Guys like, Michael Jordan, (Lakers F) Lebron James, (Former Laker) Kobe Bryant, (Portland Trailblazers F) Carmelo Anthony. Not event that, just NFL players. I’m not the only one doing stuff for my community, even regular people out here doing stuff for their communities. That’s just the way I was brought up, just to be able to just give back. I know people that don’t have nothing, but they still give back every day. Just having that mindset to help others because I didn’t get here on my own. It took a whole community, it took a whole village to help me get here. Why not try to inspire my teammates. It really started with my best friend Jameon from back home. He told me it’s time to really take the initiative and do my part, not just play football and relax and party in the offseason, but also just do the right thing.”

(On what made them gravitate more towards sports camps specifically that help out the youth)
“It’s just fun. It’s fun for the kids. It’s like a fun day. It doesn’t even have to be a camp. It could be like a barbeque. (There’s) so many different ways you can go into it. Just using my relationships that I have with other athletes, whether its football, basketball, baseball, soccer, hockey. Just trying to just give those kids the opportunity to be able to have the inspiration to look up to somebody. As I keep telling the kids each year, I’ve been in the league for five years, went to college for three. Like I said, less than 10 years ago, I was in these kids’ shoes. So, to be able to just do what I’m doing and I’m still learning myself, still figuring stuff out myself. Just trying to do the right thing, man. I was raised the right way and I’m trying to pass those things along to other people.”

(On if he imagined being where he is today 10 years ago when he was in the kids’ shoes)
“No, I don’t think anyone did. Obviously, we all had dreams and expectations, but I was always a person that just kind of just lived day-by-day. Wasn’t a follower, but I did what everyone else did. That was play sports, go to school and hang out. As life goes on, you see the bigger picture. It’s just more to life. I’ve done everything I’ve wanted to do, still doing stuff that I still want to do, but it’s just more of me helping others do what they want to do as well, too”

(On if he’ll be watching the Georgia vs. LSU football game on Saturday)
“Yeah, what time does the game start? 3:30? Yeah, I’m going to be there. LSU, they don’t want it. (laughs).”

(On if he feels any extra pressure to win Sunday’s game in order to keep their playoff hopes alive)
“No. It’s a divisional game. We’ve got them, San Fran (Francisco) and the Cardinals. Those are three important games and obviously we’ve got the Cowboys. I guess it’s just like last year we were trying to save ourselves to get to that No. 1 or No. 2 seed. Now we’re scratching our way in, but you just focus on the game on Sunday. Just go out there, give it our all and then just see what happens. It’s the same kind of clichés: sayings. Just control what we control. We can’t worry about the games we lost because those are in the past. We can just focus on what we can right now, and then just see what happens.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky301December 06, 2019 12:32AM