Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: not worried--wow and yes--and some more

December 03, 2019 11:36PM
Finally someone using brains more than emotion....dig it...thanks.

Agree regarding O line---some detail:
1. Edwards has pro bowl tools at guard. Edwards blows people off the ball many times a game
in his drive blocking. He has great feet for a guard, and shows good intelligence --and he knows what to do in
pass pro...but doesn't
use leverage quite so well, yet. He is tall, so he has to adjust some more. If, if if he could be moved to LT,
I still don't like Corbett at guard....he is a 5pounder heavier Blythe--just watch the film to see. Blythe was a
good guard until people started game planning him because he was the weak link in the whole
offense; then the Rams coudln't run his way much anymore....thus Saffold's value was seen.
(Remember 2003, Wk 17 against the Lions when we couldn't win because Shaun Rogers
blew up our weak interior---yes, that included Timm, too)
. The Rams are running right a lot because
Corbett gets no movement
2. Evans has skills, and not such great balance in space, but very good feet and strength.
Eveans seems to be aware enough on double teams, and movement in space. He still doesn't know what
to do in pass pro on blitzes...he misses...but, he is a rookie. He is not as good as Hav now, but might be his
equal in 2 years. I would keep Hav at RT, and put Evans at Guard. We would have 2 power house guards who
can take it to D lineman. He doesnt' have technique or hi intelligence like Hav, that is obvious, but he is a good
RT, and maybe a near pro bowl level RG because of power, toughness and great feel

O line summary: if we get a very good LT, and have Noteboom as a backup then Evans and Edwards at guard with Hav at RT is a very good O line. Hav didn't lose any footspeed (he never had it), so he will be fine next year with a little weight loss, more weights and attitude back in line....that happens all the time in the NFL. Blythe (not Allen??) is good enough with 2 power house guards who also have good to great feet for guard level play.

3. IF the O line is top 5 (just need to secure LT), which it can be with the aforementioned lineman Goff becomes a very good QB when McVay is 'right'. However, McVay hasn't been right the entire season--against good defenses. McVay's system is NOT guarenteed to work even when the O line is good---vs Shanahan's systems which works with an avg QB, and medicore WRs and back up lineman (which both guards were their entire careers, pre-Shanny). McVay needs to not have an offense that runs the same plays and WR combos every single game. Woods and Kupp can be stopped by very good corners...people figured out, mostly, what the Rams will do (yes, of course awful pass defenses like AZ and BEngals are lost against the Rams---that is the exception in these days).

Summary: Even with 11 really good players on offense, which the Rams have in their 6 skill positions, and I assume they will have in 2020 with their O line, they still are not guarenteed to ahve a good offense if McVay continues what he is doing. The O line is giving Goff enough time in the Ravens game (on more than enough pass pro attempts), but the net result from even those good pass pro moments gave the Rams almost no return.
Yes, now, the problem is McVay. Yes, Corbett is mediocre, but the 2 rookies are playing well enough that the Rams can produce against a good defense...and yet, they don't. The Rams won't be switching out Cooks with anyone beter in 2020---and Kupp and Woods have reached their apex, mostly...really, come one, they won't get that much better. It is McVay that makes them even better....and until he gets it going great again the Rams will continue as a 9-7 team.

4. 'New' players from 2-6th rounds last 3 years: the Rams have had Joseph-Day, Edwards, Kupp, Obo (flashes), Rapp, Henderson (in tiny parts), Everett (more flashes coming). Snead has assembled a pretty dang good roster. I don't think it is below the Saints roster, or even the 49ers in the least bit. But those 2 teams have top 3 O coordinators and have found a way to run the ball every week, and have solid pass pro. The Rams have the talent on the roster to be a 11-5 to 13-3 team every year---if the O coordinator position produces at a top level. I am doubting that will happen, so the Rams need every player to be very good to be a great team (unlike the 49ers who have a lot of role players who are not complete players-see WR, guards, QB to name a few).

Summary: all the great players have produced an average offense...(again it is NOT the O line that is the problem now---it is McVay producing the same scripts every game). McVay has to add to his game, or become like Marty Schotteheimer who never could outcoach anyone in the playoffs when the 'real' coaches like Dungy in 2006 re-tooled his entire weekend over the last 14 days of the reg season to dominate in the playoffs.

5. Snead and the talent: Snead has done a great job; Ramsey was a risk, but those who know football see that when they play a team like Atlanta with a dominating WR, they can be shut down easily when you don't need to worry about the 9 routes. (which is why BCooks has such value---the FS is always worried--while with Josh Reynodls there is zero fear or concern). I like, and prefer Snead as a GM over the traditional guys.

6. Pay the piper: to get a 4-12 team to the super bowl in 2 years ya gotta 'pay' somewhere---sign an old OT and give him a too-big contract; sign a average (at the time) WR in Woods, pay Gurley to keep him happy; don't haggle on the contract, pay the man....ok, it didn't work out, that happens. If they didn' pay Gurley maybe they don't have the 2018 season. The Rams rallied around him....don't pay the captain, you have a mutiny. YOu can't say "Oh, no super bowl in 2018, so I can have playoffs in 2019"....you know that the super bowl appearance is priceless...and the Rams gave up a 2nd and 3rd (and more) to get Peters and Fowler and both came through in the playoffs...without them, we dont beat the Saints.....so did you want the super bowl for a 2nd and a 3rd? That is the risk you take. DYNAMICS change all the time...I hate Peters and am meh on long term on Fowler, but love what they did to get the Rams to the super bowl. Don't sign Gurly to the biggest contract and don't make those 2 trades, and maybe the Rams are 11-5 in 2018 and lose to Dallas...maybe, who knows.

summary:
The Rams had a huge setback in 2019 (10-6 mostly likely)...in 2022 you will look back and say 'ya, of course' that happens when you take 10 risks....look at the Bears, who took like 2 risks, where are they now?.....the Chiefs lost 4 games already, didn't they have a huge setback, even though they have the best QB in the world? DIdn't the Saints go 7-9 three years in a row with a HOFer at QB and a top 5 offense....how could that happen three years in a row? Sean Payton must really suck...why didn't the fire him? This is the NFL not your local 7-11.

Overall Summary:
The Rams are on a great course, and when they didn't sign Saffold I knew the O line would drop because Noteboom can't driveblock a 230 pound lber and Blythe was mediocre at best, but I assumed McVay worked out a plan to re-plan his game day attack. He did NOTHING until the 2 rookie lineman started playing....now he knows he is a has-been in 2020 if he doesn't change. The Youngest coach in modern history will find a way. Rams will be in the playoffs in 2020...and still won't be even if they are 10-6 this year. (ya, they beat Seattle and maybe Dallas).

My only question for 2020:
Does McVay know that Corbett is not a starting lineman in the NFL? Because if he hasn't figured that out, the Rams won't be in the playoffs next year. Is he depending on NOteboom to be the next LT....wow, then he has more faith than should be allowed for a super bowl coach. He needs to be in the super bowl in the next 2 years to stay on track....and Corbett will stop him, while Noteboom may be the straw that breaks the back.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2019 11:44PM by Steve.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Why I am not worried

headslapper731December 02, 2019 11:06PM

Excellent Post!

SalsaRama314December 02, 2019 11:39PM

spectacular post I agree

Rams_81303December 03, 2019 03:29AM

nice read, great out look. nm

shellback266December 03, 2019 01:17AM

Re: "We Not Me"............

oldschoolramfan267December 03, 2019 05:28AM

DADGUMMIT!!!!