Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips - Media Availability - Nov. 28, 2019

November 28, 2019 12:16PM
TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips - Media Availability - Nov. 28, 2019

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay
(On any injury updates)
“Those guys, (T) Rob (Havenstein) and (S) Marqui (Christian), they were limited today, making good progress. Marqui is continuing to take steps in the right direction, as is Rob. Tomorrow will really provide us some real clarity. Today was more of an above-the-neck. We did get a couple periods in, which was good for us. Those guys were limited today with practice.”

(On if he feels like players have been living up to the Rams’ saying, ‘The Standard is the Standard’ in meeting rooms, on the field and behind the scenes)
“I think with their approach, I like the way that we’ve approached each and every week. There’s an element of, we’ve just got to do better from an execution and from a coaching standpoint, there’s a lot of things. Everybody’s got to do a little bit better. I think the standards and the expectations that we do have, we have not lived up to those. That’s what I think everybody means by that. Nobody is complacent, nobody is okay with where we’re at. The only thing that we can do is, is focus on what we can control day in and day out on how we get better, how we continue to really raise those standards. Then, it’s got to show up on the games, during the games when we play.”

(On the season after losing the Super Bowl and if he has heard from anybody else around the league telling him if they are seeing his experience as similar or different as theirs)
“I talk to coaches. The nice thing is, is there’s a lot of people that you develop a relationship with in this building, outside the building that are supportive and understanding of some of the things that you end up going through when you do hit a little bit of adversity. These are things that it’s an inevitable part of sports. If you can’t handle these things, then this probably isn’t for you. I think we do have the right guys. It certainly hasn’t been what we want, but we’ve got an opportunity to try to right the ship with the way that we play this week.”

(On his take on Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald Jr. over the course of his career)
“You talk about the epitome of a pro – class, represents everything that’s right about the NFL. Then the production, the talent, what he’s done over the course of his career is why he’s a First-Ballet Hall of Famer, without a doubt. I think the things that he does off the field – the way that he just consistently handles himself. Then you watch the way that he competes with the ball, without the ball – the way that he’s still able to be productive. You can’t say enough good things about (Cardinals WR) Larry (Fitzgerald Jr.). I have so much respect for him. I’ve loved watching him compete over the years. I’m a fan of Larry Fitzgerald. It’s impressive what he’s done.”

(On it being rare for receiver to play as long as Fitzgerald has and what characteristics allow guys like him to have long careers)
“He’d probably be able to better answer that than me. It seems like a guy that takes great care of himself – loves the game. He’s been able to stay healthy, I think as a result of probably a process and a rhythm that he’s been able to put in place over his career. That’s what I would say from a far, but you would have to ask Larry on that one. Happy Thanksgiving, guys.”

Rams Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips
(Opening Remarks)
“Happy Thanksgiving. This game we see another talented quarterback. (Cardinals Qcool smiley Kyler Murray has played really well this year, I think certainly for a rookie quarterback. It gives you some problems in the passing game and the run game. I’ve been impressed with their offense in that both times they’ve played San Francisco, they’ve really moved the ball well against a good defensive team. It will be another challenge, especially with a quarterback being as versatile as he is. He doesn’t have as many designed runs like last week, but he does run the read-give or the read-keep the ball. He’s doesn’t run as many design runs, certainly. But, he does take off with the football and has great speed.”

(On what happened with the defense last week and if it was just an extraordinary performance by Ravens QB Lamar Jackson and their offense)
“We didn’t play well enough, we didn’t coach well enough, we didn’t set up, we thought we could stop their running game and we didn’t do that well. I put it on myself with the plan, overall. We had to stop the running game to force them to throw the ball – although the guy can really throw the ball well. Now, we’ll say, you’ve got to give them credit. They scored 37 (points) on New England and we’re on a quite a tear and they kept doing it against us too. I didn’t think they would, but they did. Credit to them, but I think we needed a better plan and we didn’t have it. That’s my fault.”

(On how he gets his players to get over that loss quickly)
“Well, that one’s gone. When you’re my age, you look forward to the next day (laughs). So, I try to get that over to the players. The last one’s gone, let’s go to the next one. We’re doing that.”

(On the Cardinals’ offense using 10 personnel and how much of an emphasis it puts on the need to communicate effectively)
“They run some 10 personnel. Earlier in the year, they ran more of the 10 personnel a lot more. They settled into their offense overall where they run a lot of 11 personnel, 12 personnel and then some 10 personnel. They kind of found their identity with how they can move the ball and do well, offensively. We have to be ready for all of it. All of it takes communication, certainly. Then, that’s an emphasis – (Head Coach) Sean (McVay) is tremendous on that emphasis with our football team about communication and we work hard at that.”

(On how S Taylor Rapp is coming along this season)
“(S) Taylor Rapp, I think has shown himself well. You look at even the last game, I thought he played well, he made a lot of plays. He’s more and more comfortable playing not only third downs, but first and second downs also. I think he’s done well for a rookie, certainly.”

(On his thoughts about players on his defense who have impressed him so far this season)
“I think we’ve had a lot of guys that have improved and that’s important. Even if you’re a veteran, you need to improve. That’s what we strive for. That’s what our goal is each day is improve in the meetings, on the practice field, then in the games. Defensively, I thought we obviously had improved the previous four games. Last game we didn’t play as well, but I expect us to come back. There’s been quite a few guys that I think – (DT) Sebastian (Joseph-Day) has come along real well. It’s his second year, but he’s come along and been able to play well. We were worried about losing (former DT Ndamukong) Suh in the middle and he’s come along and done well there. Certainly, some of our players that we’ve counted on, like (Lcool smiley Cory (Littleton) and people like that are really playing well. Our new guys – having (Lcool smiley Clay (Matthews) and (S Eric) Weddle in there to help us with communicate and also playing wise. I could go on and on. I think individually, we’ve got some guys playing well. We’ve got to get them all playing well together.”

(On what S Marqui Christian has brought to the team the last couple seasons)
“He’s been a role player for us. His role – he’s an active player that we can plug in to play different positions. We can blitz him some, he’s a good blitzer. He can cover tight ends man-to-man. We try to utilize him in certain roles, and he comes in and does that well.”

(On his favorite Thanksgiving food)
“Well, we have turducken and then gumbo every year. So, I look forward to this day and about everything else. Lots of desserts (laughs).”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky401November 28, 2019 12:16PM