Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Pass Game Coordinator Shane Waldron, QB Jared Goff, RB Todd Gurley II - Media Availability - Nov. 27, 2019

November 28, 2019 01:57AM
TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Pass Game Coordinator Shane Waldron, QB Jared Goff, RB Todd Gurley II - Media Availability - Nov. 27, 2019

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay
(On if the abnormalities of the week will test his motivational skills)
“I think it really is a good opportunity for us – on a short week – to respond the right way from a night that we all want to be able to move on from. That’s really what it represents. I think it’s good to be able to appreciate and enjoy your family, friends on Thanksgiving. If anything, I would say it’s kind of similar to what a Thursday game week preparation would be in the early stages of it. But, we’ll get a chance to practice a little bit later on in the week on Friday.”

(On taking a ‘glass half full’ approach)
“I don’t know any other way than to approach it. What we can’t do is we can’t look back at what has already occurred. We can’t change where this game fits and the fact that we played on Monday night during Thanksgiving. Want to make sure that we’re mindful of keeping those priorities where we’re enabling guys to spend some time with their family and friends in shortening that day tomorrow a little bit. That’s how we’re going to handle it. Like I’ve said, we’re excited about the opportunity against the Cardinals this week.”

(On if there are similarities between Cardinals QB Kyler Murray and Ravens QB Lamar Jackson)
“There is a similarity in terms of these are elite athletes that are playing the quarterback position, that are legitimate threats as runners when they do decide to tuck it. There’s a little bit different approach schematically that these guys take. You look at some of the instances when they have utilized (Cardinals Qcool smiley Kyler (Murray) as a runner, it’s been impressive. He gets around the corner quickly, he’s got great acceleration, he’s got a great feel for how to manipulate and maneuver through traffic while avoiding taking those hits. Then, some of the things that you see with just his ability to change the launch point, his ability to speed it up, make all those different types of throws in the pocket, out of the pocket. It’s been really impressive in how good of a job he’s done of taking care of the football. They’ve truly improved throughout the year on offense and they’ve had some really impressive performances as of late against some top-tier defenses.”

(On what stood out to him from Arizona’s games against San Francisco)
“I think just the efficiency. Their ability to change up – they’re in no huddle a lot, but they have different tempos that they can activate within the framework of their ‘muddle huddle’ or no-huddle tempo. You see them change that up, put pressure on defenses. You see the explosive plays, you see the ability to run the ball, making plays off the screen game. I think it really just was a collaboration – really in both games – of big plays, but also efficiency in both phases – the run and the pass. It’s all led by Kyler.”

(On if he addresses the sense of urgency regarding L.A.’s playoff picture)
“No, because we have the same sense of urgency. Every single game is an important one for us that you look at as – you’re going in with the focus and concentration that you have to find a way to win. Whether you’re 0-0 or whether you’re 8-0 or whether you’re 0-8 – whatever that is. You want to be consistent in that approach. The guys know what’s at stake, but more than anything, every single week is so vital and it’s the next game. It is very important but I think you start getting ahead and you lose perspective because I think it’s a consistent approach in terms of how vital every single win is for us, regardless of what the stakes are.”

(On the difference between being positive while also addressing the reality of what took place against Baltimore)
“You don’t run away from the humbling night that it (Week 12 against Baltimore) was. Everybody can look inward to do better. We certainly don’t just put that game away and say, ‘Oh, we positively move forward.’ There’s an urgency with how you address things, but once you face that, you address it. Now, we move forward in the right way. What I think is the important approach – because it’s not this fake optimism, ‘Everything’s okay.’ That’s not what it is. It’s that, ‘Hey, what happened in that game won’t have anything to do with our preparation and how we play next Sunday against the Cardinals unless we allow it to.’ I think there’s a great example. They (Baltimore) played a very similar game against a very good Houston Texans football team the week before. On a short week, they (Houston) go and beat a really good Indianapolis Colts team on the Thursday night game. There’s a lot of different examples in sports where you have a setback and as long as you don’t let it deflate you, that can be a set up for a comeback, if handled the right way. We’ve already started handling it in that way. But, that doesn’t mean by any stretch that the other night was acceptable, that it was okay and that everybody knows they can do better.”

(On watching QB Jared Goff and some of the challenges Goff has gone through and if he sees areas that he can make definitive improvements for the rest of this year)
“I think every game presents that. There’s been a lot of different things, like anything else, the experience and the accumulation of experiences is a valuable learning tool if used the right way. I think as we’ve now gone into working through our third year together, there’s a lot of things that both he and I, and really a lot of our team in general, can continue to learn from and make sure that we use those as things to improve upon or the things that you did do right, let’s continue to do that when those things or when those defensive structures, or when that play is being run versus a certain look ends up coming up in the future. The accumulation of the experience, and we always talk about that repetition is the mother of learning. Those will kind of go hand in hand.”

(On if the things that Goff might learn from are physical, fundamental, or mental things to adjust to defenses)
“I think so. I think, really, it’s a combination of all of them because there is something to be taken away. I think if anything, what I’ve mentioned before is, you continue to be impressed with just the competition in this league and humbled by how difficult it is to win week in and week out. How many different factors are at hand and you never take winning for granted.”

(On his thoughts on going up against Cardinals Head Coach Kliff Kingsbury for the first time)
“I think they’ve done a really good job. I think what’s a great reflection of (Cardinals Head Coach) Kliff (Kingsbury) and their coaching staff is that this is a football team that when you look at it from when they started to where they are now, they’ve gotten better in all three phases. I think that’s a great indication of the players being receptive to things. You want to see that steady improvement throughout the year. I don’t think their record is at all indicative of what type of football team this is. They’ve played teams really tough. We’ve kind of mentioned some of the teams that are playing at as high of a level as anybody that they’re going down to the wire with. It’s going to be a great challenge for us. They’re coming off a bye. They’ll be fresh, they’ll be healthy. We’ve got to be ready to go.”

(On the Cardinals doing different things schematically with Murray and if there is a similarity that he also sees them tailoring the offense to Murray’s strengths like the Ravens are doing with their offense)
“Yeah, absolutely. I think that’s a great reflection of the coaches is doing a good job. It is about your players first and foremost. Whether it be the Ravens with (Ravens Head) Coach (John) Harbaugh and (Ravens Offensive Coordinator) Greg Roman, or whether it be the Cardinals under Kliff, you can see that. Both those guys have made a lot of plays and those are exciting players to be able to build around because of the skill sets that they possess.

(On S Marqui Christian’s status with his injury)
“It’s one of those deals, because we have two walk-thrus today, he wouldn’t participate. But, it’s more just, more than anything else, precautionary. We’ll have a better update on where he’s at tomorrow.”

(On if Christian is on track to play)
“Yeah, he is. Unless I change my mind later in the week (laughs). I’m just kidding.”

(On if he has any special memories from Thanksgiving)
“To be able to spend the time with your family. One of the things that I thought was unique about just the high school that I went to and just where Thanksgiving falls in terms of the playoffs, typically the high school that I went to was fairly successful in football. If you made it to the second round of the playoffs – now I don’t know exactly where that fits now – but if you made it to the second round of the playoffs, you would be practicing on Thanksgiving. There was a tradition at Marist School that it was a special thing to be able to practice Thanksgiving morning and you didn’t take that for granted. I had some great memories there, but I think more than anything, it’s just the time spent with the family and the people that you love the most and watching a little football is always a good day.”

(On his favorite Thanksgiving dish)
“I’m pretty easy. I like stuffing, I like mashed potatoes. I’ll put on about 12 pounds tomorrow I’m sure (laughs).”

Rams Pass Game Coordinator Shane Waldron
(On if he feels the team has turned the page following Monday night)
“I think so. Yeah, there is nothing better than coming off a loss and having a short week where you’re forced to get right in to the next opponent and really put the past behind and move forward as quickly as you can and not let one game affect the next one.”

(On what’s going on with the passing game and no passing touchdown the last three games)
“I think for us offensively, throwing the ball – I know (Head Coach) Sean (McVay) has mentioned it, but just everyone looking inwardly and improving a little bit in every little area that we can – the attention to detail, the focus, the concentration – which has been there, but hasn’t produced the results we want it to on the field. Our approach is being solution oriented and that’s getting out, like we had this walk-thru today, where we were saying, ‘Hey, all these details that we talk about on every route, what the coverage looks are, what’s the timing and rhythm – that we’re really making sure that we are on point and we’re working our way through this. Our goal is to be more productive and we need to be more productive for our team as an offensive passing attack. Our solution to that is really to really focus on the details, to focus on our execution throughout the week and look forward to seeing the results on Sunday.”

(On how much of the team’s success falls on QB Jared Goff)
“That’s a great question because he is the quarterback, so a lot of the weight of the team and the weight of the production does fall on the position, that’s the nature of the beast right there. I think like anything else, if there is stuff that he knows he can focus on and continue to improve upon. I think the great thing about (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff), is through the ups and downs in this season and through the past few seasons being around him, is he has had a steady approach. That steady approach, I believe, is what has led to him having some success throughout his career, and then I think it’s what’s going to allow him to really break through and continue to have success in the future, despite some ups and downs that we’ve had so far this year.”

(On if there are any areas in which he feels Goff should improve on in particular)
“I think he can keep doing a great job continuing to improve in certain situations in the game where we know taking care of the ball is paramount. There are some plays where the best play might be to throw the ball away and then other plays where he knows ‘Hey, I can work off-schedule a little it more and be aggressive.’ I think he’s continuing to evolve and doing a good job of understanding what those situations are and then being able to implement them in the game. Like everything else, it is the greatest team sport there is and getting all eleven (offensive players) to do everything just a little bit better along with our coaches and everyone in the organization to be behind him and help us get over the hump.”

(On if when everything is on time with Goff things are great and when things are slightly different is where the issues begin)
“I think you said it perfectly. When you get a play where the timing and rhythm is perfect and you get the exact structure you want and that primary receiver does a great job of working an edge and getting open – that’s where we’ve had a ton of success. In the times where the play gets off a little bit – whether it’s a different look or whether it just needs to move off the spot based on the front structure – that’s where we can continue to improve and continue to make those great decision when the play isn’t on the perfect timing and rhythm.”

(On his impressions of the Cardinals’ secondary especially Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson)
“You talk about guys each week throughout the league where you’re saying ‘Hey, you’ve got to know where this guy is.’ Just a tremendous amount of respect for (Cardinals CB Patrick) Peterson, because he’s got that unbelievable concept recognition, he can play physical at the line, he can play any style of coverage you want. Then when the ball is in the air, he’s got receiver ball skills – as far as being able to track it, be able to take the ball away. Need to run great routes against him, need to always know where he is and where he is at, as far as his location in the coverage structure. They’ve just done a good job all blending together. (Cardinals S) Budda Baker is playing at a high level, where he does such a great job of being disruptive both as a blitzer, as a tackler in the run-game, or in the open, field and then, covering a lot of ground. They are a good secondary that we’ve got to focus on winning our one-on-one individual battles every single rep.”

(On what happened on Ravens CB Marcus Peters interception during the Week 12 game against the Ravens)
“We had a little high-low concept there to the right and (Ccool smiley Marcus (Peters) did a great job of, as they brought the pressure from that side, he’s in his little pawns mentality and was able to play both and then really burst and get underneath the throw and take away the deeper throw. Really a great play by Marcus right there, a great job being visual and leading to the big play for them.”

(On if there was something Goff could have done different on play where Peters intercepted the pass)
“I think hindsight 20/20. On that one, I think Marcus made a great play. He was able to play both, he was able to sit on the underneath route and then come off and burst and make a good over-the-shoulder catch and make a great play.”

(On McVay calling a timeout during the Ravens game before the play clock expired and how much leadership should Goff take managing the play clock)
“It’s a combination depending on each particular play, where we’re at in that situation, some play calls that are longer than others, or the tempo of our offense getting right up to the line and having a feel. I think that’s one of those things that as Jared continues to develop, just always having that awareness of the play clock – which he does a really good job of having that big-picture feel of each individual play. But, there’s times like that where it comes up, where we don’t feel like we’re going to get the perfect play off, sometimes, hey the better option right there is to take the timeout, get everyone settled in and regroup there.”

Rams QB Jared Goff
(On if he has to put the Baltimore game behind him)
“Yeah, it’s a tough pill to swallow. I think it was definitely something that made you sick and something that you never want to relive or have to go through. But we’re beyond that now – push through it. On to Arizona.”

(On from his perspective what has made Cardinals QB Kyle Murray as good as he’s been this season)
“He does a lot of good things well. I think we’ve actually had a lot of crossover film with them, so we’ve been able to see him. Obviously, his athleticism is the first thing you see is how he can run, how athletic he is. He spins it really well and has such a quick release. Whenever you can threaten people both running and throwing the way he does it’s tough to stop. He’s a special player.”

(On Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson’s talent)
“Yeah very talented. (Cardinals Ccool smiley Pat’s (Peterson) obviously been playing at a high level for a long time and still is. I think guys like (Cardinals S) Budda (Baker) – been there for a while and play at a high level. It’s a challenge for us and it’ll be fun.”

(On if he feels more pressure to perform now having an NFL record-breaking deal)
“No, I don’t. I need to make sure that is never the case. I always want to play like I’ve always had since I was a little kid. Always having fun – enjoying it. Never let the business side of it creep in as far as the way you approach every day or every game. I think I’ve done a pretty good job of that. But there are times where you do think of it. But no, I don’t feel any differently.”

(On if he feels like he could continue to be himself through that)
“Totally. I think through the ups and the downs I’ve always been myself. I don’t think anything like that will ever change the way I approach every day the way I approach every game. Obviously, there is a little bit more responsibility, I think. But I don’t think it’s more pressure.”

(On him not throwing a touchdown pass since Cincinnati and what’s gone on in that gap)
“A bunch of things. I think we’ve ran into some good defenses and then on our side it’s been just lack of execution. Not only from guys but mainly from myself – need to be better. Need to be better at everything I know I’ve said this the last couple weeks and I will be. Keep working – keep getting better. I know these guys trust in me and just need to do my job.”

(On what has he seen in the Cardinals pass defense)
“Yeah, like I mentioned. (Cardinals CB Patrick) Pat’s (Peterson) been playing at a high level for a long time. They fly around, they’re athletic, they’re fast, they rush the passer well. Obviously, (Cardinals Lcool smiley Chandler’s (Jones) been a great player for a long time. They do a good job. It’ll be a challenge for us and something that we need to come and be ready for.”

(On their inability to get play action going and how much that has affected his job)
“I don’t see it as something that should affect it. I think there’s been ups and downs. There’s been times where we’ve been awesome at it and times that we haven’t. I think the standard that we’ve set here over the last couple of years is to be the best in the league at that. I think that’s where we always want to be. I think when it dips below that it feels different but it’s not something that I can’t overcome – that we can’t overcome. I don’t expect us to not overcome and it’s something we need to be better at.”

(On if there is a game this year that he would use as an example of how the passing game should work)
“Yeah, every game we’ve won, for the most part and some that we’ve lost. I think there’s been a bunch of games, I don’t know if I can think of one right now, but there’s been a bunch of games, there’s been a bunch of drives. I think when you look at it for the majority of time, the consistency hasn’t been there and that’s what the key is. I think that’s what I’ve kind of harped on. Again, it starts with me with the consistency of every down, every day, every down, every game. Doing your job, doing it to the best of your ability and being sharp. If we do that, we have what it takes and we have the right pieces and the right plays, everything. We just need to stay consistent. Like I said, we’ve seen times when it’s been great and there has been times when it’s not been great at all. We need to be on the better side of that most of the time.”

(On if quarterbacks have slumps similar to baseball pitchers)
“No, I don’t think so. It’s so far apart, the games are a week apart. You’ve got plenty of time if you don’t have a great game to figure it out and get back into your rhythm. I think I’m at the point in my career where I can get that thing figured out pretty quickly.”

(On if he can figure out what can cause a team to make mistakes they haven’t really made in the past like pre-snap penalties)
“I think you never want to make any excuses, you just have to be better, we have the right players, we have guys that don’t make those mistakes regularly and I think there has been some shuffling, but that happens every week across that league and that’s never an excuse. Just communication can be better, everything can be better, I can communicate better. Ultimately, it starts with me. Our offensive has not been where it needs to be the last few weeks and I need to bring up the standard a little bit. That’s where we need to be.”

(On if he has a favorite Thanksgiving dish)
“I love mashed potatoes and gravy, I’m looking forward to it tomorrow.”

(On if Thanksgiving was a big tradition for him growing up)
“Nothing more than just being with the family and enjoying the day. Yeah, nothing crazy. We do maybe some mud football stuff up in Northern California, but nothing to serious.”

Rams RB Todd Gurley II
(On his favorite Thanksgiving dish)
“No favorite. I like everything.”

(On if he has family in town for Thanksgiving)
“No. I have my teammates, so whoever wants to come over and eat, grab a bite. Friends around here, whoever wants to come, basically.”

(On QB Jared Goff saying the team needs to increase the standard and what that means to him)
“Basically, just setting the bar high – it is what it is. If you don’t match it then you don’t need to be on the field playing.”

(On if he feels like increasing the standard is accurate)
“Yeah. It’s definitely a great point. Like we always say, ‘The standard is the standard.’ We set the bar high, so anything less is unacceptable. I can definitely agree with him (Goff) on that.”

(On what he has seen in the Cardinals defense)
“They already have the leading sacker in (Lcool smiley Chandler Jones. (S) Budda Baker is flying all of the way around the field. Great veterans in (LB Terrell) Suggs, (LB Haason) Reddick. They’ve got some great players, some young players – ‘BB’ (Baker) is still learning, but they’ve been getting better as the season’s been going on. They’ve been definitely doing a great job.”

(On how he would assess where he is going to Arizona this season after being a game-time decision last year)
“I’m playing this game, last year I wasn’t playing. That’s kind of how that was.”

On how he views each of the next five games and if he looks at them all as having to win all five or if he goes one game at a time)
“Keep looking at all five and that’s how you lose all five. I don’t even know who we play next week, honestly. I know we’ve got the Cardinals. I really don’t even know who we play (after that). Just got to focus on the little things. The little things got us to where – at least hit the big things – whether it’s winning the game, getting players Pro Bowls and stuff like that. Just tightening up the screws a little bit. To harp up on what ‘JG’ said, anything less than having high expectations is unacceptable. It’s really just trying to focus on tomorrow, obviously it’s Thanksgiving. It’s a short day, let’s try to make the best out of it during Thanksgiving.”

(On what allows the pre-snap penalties to happen and what changes with a team that lets the penalties happen)
“You start losing. You start putting yourself in even worse situations. Stuff from the start going good and then you get pre-snap penalties. It’s just like turnovers, no one’s trying to false start, no one’s trying to turn the ball over – it’s just football. It’s one of those things where you just can’t harp on it too much. Like you said, you’re not trying to write a bad article, if you just happen to, it just happened to. But, don’t think about it too much, it’s football, it’s like, move on. Doesn’t really matter who turned the ball over, who had the penalty. It affects all 11 of us on the field, it affects the whole team actually. Just try to move on and don’t try to do something a little bit extra the next play. Just do your job.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky332November 28, 2019 01:57AM