Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay - Media Availability - Nov. 26, 2019

November 27, 2019 12:35AM

(On the day after losing Monday night)
“It’s never fun. That was a very, very disappointing night for our whole football team, for our coaches. Everybody can do a better job so that we can avoid feeling like that. The nice thing is, is that we’ve got a short week. You can’t dwell on those losses long, you’ve got to look at what we can do a much better job of – which is a lot of things. Then, you start preparing for the Arizona Cardinals and we can’t allow the Ravens to beat us twice.”

(On injury updates following Monday’s game)
“Seems like we came out of the game pretty clean. There was a situation earlier on in the game where (TE) Gerald (Everett) might’ve tweaked his knee a little bit. He’ll be day-to-day. It was when he was in a protection and kind of just buckled his knee. Making good progress with (T) Rob Havenstein. There’s a chance that he could be ready to go. We’ll have a little bit more of an update as the week progresses.”

(On if Havenstein would start if he is able to play on Sunday)
“If he’s ready to go, we’ll get him back in there.”

(On if he is concerned about QB Jared Goff’s progress and development in the fourth season of his career)
“I’m not worried about the statistical things because I know – whether it be QB rating, things like that – that can get skewed based on how much is weighted on interceptions and touchdowns. Sometimes there’s decisions that we can do a better job with and then sometimes it’s not always a reflection of him (QB Jared Goff). What I’m concerned – I don’t want to say I’m concerned – but where there’s an urgency is we’ve got to be better as an offense overall. Coaches, players, we’re all a part of this. It’s not just Jared. It’s a collaboration of the unit and that’s why football is the greatest team sport there is. I think everybody – especially just for our team as a whole – we can all look inward, figure out what we can do better. That’s what we’ve got to do and we’ve got to start seeing those things show up.”

(On if he talked to CB Jalen Ramsey on the conversation with him and Ravens CB Marcus Peters)
“I have not, I haven’t spoken to him. I addressed the team, we talked about a couple of things today. We’ve been getting ready for Arizona. (Senior Director, Communications) Artis (Twyman) had mentioned (it) to me before we started here. And then, I saw those guys talking when I was walking off the field, but by the time I had circled back, they were separated and really that’s kind of all I had seen about that.”

(On if he talked to Peters on Sunday before the Rams- Ravens game)
“I did, yeah.”

(On what he said to Peters when he seen him)
“I talked to him before the game – (Ccool smiley Marcus (Peters) and I have a great relationship – then I talked with him afterwards. He did a good job. That’s a really good football team and he’s playing at a high level for them.”

(On if Ramsey and Peters conversation falls in the same category as the Steelers and Browns fight)
“What, just them talking back and forth? I’m not sure. Guys have fun, that’s a part of it. What we always talk about is, as long as what goes on doesn’t take away from what we are trying to get done as a team, those are things that competitors (do), they go back and forth, but I think that’s a little bit of a different scenario than kind of what occurred in that game.”

(On what his impressions of Cardinals QB Kyler Murray are at this point of the season)
“Really impressive. Takes great care of the football. His ability to speed it up and be able to deliver the ball when he sees guys open is really impressive – just how twitchy he is. He can obviously make throws from a bunch of different platforms. He can make plays in the pocket, out of the pocket. Then, you see just what dynamic runner he is as well. You look at a couple of the plays that he’s made as of late, where they’ve started to utilize him a little bit more as a runner. He’s playing with a lot of confidence and you can see why he was a No. 1 pick.”

(On if he is having any concerns that it is a short work week and having Thanksgiving in the middle of it and then playing a team that’s playing well and coming off of a bye week)
“For us, it’s about just getting ready for the next game. Whatever the circumstances are that we’re dealing with, that really doesn’t change. If anything, I think that the best thing that you can do to try to move forward from that is you focus on, ‘All right what are the things that we can control and being where our feet are planted?’ You’ve got to consistently do that. That’s really all we can do. What happened last night was unfortunate. It’s not anything that any of us want to be a part of when you put the work in that we do to try to have a better result on the field. You give the Ravens credit, they did a great job, they’re a great football team. But, what happened in that game is not going to be an indication of what we have an opportunity to do against the Cardinals. That’s really, that’s the truth. You just look at the week-to-week things that occur in this league. As long as you have the ability and a positive way of moving forward and not letting that deter your ability to move forward and get those things fixed. We feel confident that that’s not a representation of what our football team is capable of and what we’ll hopefully put on tape in the next couple weeks.”

(On this loss feeling different from anything he’s experienced during his time in Los Angeles)
“Well, I think you saw what was different about it. It was a game that we got out-played in every phase. They did a great job. That was something that has not been a game that we’ve really been a part of, but that is something that occurs. I’ve seen a lot of instances where teams are a part of that on the wrong end of it and they find a way to bounce back and be resilient. That’s what tough people do, that’s what I do believe that this team is made of. That’s what’s great about sports is you got the opportunity. Anybody that’s had any sort of success in sports, I think, you’ve seen them overcome some adversity – different forms and fashion. But what you have to do is, you have to move forward. Those times don’t last unless you allow them to. I can promise you we’re not going to allow that to continue to fester with us, and it’s going to be something that we look at as that adversity is an opportunity for us to respond the right way.”

(On him being in charge of the offense and how much more challenging it is for him to figure out what’s going on with the offense when he still has to manage everything else)
“Yeah, that’s a part of it. That’s why you rely on a lot of great coaches that we do have in our building. It’s not exclusive to me, it’s a collaborative effort. Part of your job is to make sure that you have an ownership and an understanding on what’s going on with your football team, even if your background is on the offensive side of the ball. Our job is to get the team playing better and to get the team to try and consistently win football games. The one thing that we’ve got to do a much better job of are the things that take no talent. We can’t have 12 men on the field, we can’t continue to beat ourselves with these pre-snap penalties. We’ve got to make sure that we’re utilizing the fundamentals and the techniques. There is an element when you just look at the NFL week to week you do have to give credit where credit is due if a great play is made on the opposing team – that’s part of it. But the things that we can control, we’ve got to do a much better job of as a team, and I think that’s what we’ve got to do a great job of as coaches.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky287November 27, 2019 12:35AM