Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Bears Head Coach Matt Nagy - Conference Call - November 13, 2019

November 13, 2019 01:48PM

(On what he’s seen from the Rams this season that may be similar or different than last season)
“No. 1, I always start off by just saying I have a ton of respect for (Rams Head) Coach (Sean) McVay and what he’s done. It’s hard to win in this league and I know that them going to the Super Bowl last year was a heck of an accomplishment and creates a lot of expectations. I see a team that’s playing hard and really, from me watching a lot more of the defensive side of the ball – you saw this past weekend with Pittsburgh – they’re flying around, making plays. You always got to know where (DT) Aaron Donald’s at and then you go ahead and make a trade for one of the best corners in the league. So, that solidifies a lot of levels of the defense – I think they’re playing really well there. Offensively, it doesn’t matter what they’re going through. They always have the ability to put up tons of points at any given time because they’re well coached and they have great players. That’s kind of how we look at it. Special teams, they’re obviously at the top of the league in special teams, so that’s how we look at them.”

(On how much of his gameplan is focused on neutralizing DT Aaron Donald)
“We better know where he is at. It’s about as simple as it gets and we understand that. To be able to see somebody play the game the way he plays it on every snap – it doesn’t matter run, pass, down-and-distance, where he’s at on the field. If you don’t know where he is at on the field on every single play, you’re going to be in trouble.”

(On the Bears being one of the first teams last year to slow down the Rams offense and if he is seeing teams do similar things this year compared to what the Bears did last season)
“It’s hard to say. All of these teams, at some point, you hit some patches where you have to figure some things out and re-adjust and all that. We’re going through that right now offensively. That’s a part of this game, that’s why we coach this game is for stuff like that. Whether you say teams have figured them out, I don’t necessarily agree with that. I just think there is a lot of things that go in to it. Again, as a coach when you have these challenges, you look forward to trying to fix them, and I know that’s what they are doing right now.”

(On how he has gotten to the point he is at with his team after coming off of a victory last week)
“That was a big one for us, just in the fact that when you lose four games in a row, you get tested a lot. We always talk about the adversity reveals your character. You get to see really who’s all in and who’s half in, and we saw that darn near the whole entire team is in. When you have that, you appreciate that. We were able to get a win at home. It doesn’t matter how it comes, or who it’s against, in the NFL, there’s too much parody. We got that win and now we’re able to get back on track. We know that we have a true test coming up in L.A.”

(On the Bears fans having a large presence in Los Angeles, the potential of large contingent of Bears fans that can turn out at the Coliseum and if it is something they encounter often)
“No, it really carries in every away game. We haven’t had as many, obviously, away games this year. But, last year and then this year, the games that we have had, there’s a lot of times where we’re turned around and we’re hearing a lot of people cheer when something good goes well along the side of the ball. We appreciate all that support and it means a lot to us. Trust me, when you have that going on, on the road, you really respect that and appreciate every bit of it.”

(On if he studies any of the film from last year’s game or is it completely different)
“It’s completely different. There’s different personnel in a lot of areas. At the same time, it’s a new season, so schematically teams make changes. There might be some things you look at that you like, and you see something but for the most part they’re doing the same. They’ll peek at it and something that they like. You’re on to a new year and there’s new personnel. Schematically there’s usually changes within offense, defense, special teams each year.”

(On how RB Todd Gurley II looks this year compared to last year)
“I haven’t particularly on my own been able to watch and focus in on exactly the differences of him, I’ve got too much other stuff going on trying to focus on this Rams defense. So, I can’t give you a specific answer right now other than a really good football player that fits well in their offense with what he does. He can beat you running the football and he can beat you in the passing game.”

(On the story of Bears QB Mitchell Trubisky’s development)
“We’re all trying to grow together. A lot of this goes on as you try to develop this offensive identity and you try to develop who you are as a team and as a whole. There’s sometimes bumps in the road, we hit a little bit of that. It’s not just (Bears Qcool smiley Mitchell (Trubisky), it’s all of us. It’s the rest of the offense, it’s coaching, it’s everybody. We’re all in this thing together. That’s the beauty of who we are as a team and as family, organization. No one looks to point fingers or say it’s your fault. We always start with ourselves. What we’re trying to do is grow from last week’s win that we had. I thought Mitchell played a really good game and that’s exactly where we’re at. I’m proud of him and that’s a definite step in the right direction.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky220November 13, 2019 01:48PM