November 09, 2019 01:42AM
(On WR Brandin Cooks practicing Friday)
“He (WR Brandin Cooks) was a normal participant. Part of the advice is just keep a normal rhythm and routine for him, staying active, avoiding some of those collision-type things. This has been part of the advice that wanted to follow and it’s part of the plan to hopefully getting him back on the field.”

(On if he lost his voice during the past week)
“It’s been an exciting week – a lot of yelling. I guess I lost my coaching voice in the week off – too much relaxing on the bye (laughs). It’s a good thing. It’s been a really good week. I think guys are just excited to get back and the raspy voice is a reflection of a bunch of good stuff. I’m feeling good, I’m excited about the opportunity.”

(On if LB Clay Matthews will play on Sunday)
“He (LB Clay Matthews) is. Things have gone really well, he’s done an excellent job. You felt his presence all week and just the impact that he’s made on our defense all season has been big. To be able to get him back provides a big boost for us.”

(On how Steelers RB James Conner being ruled out ahead of Sunday’s game changes L.A.’s gameplan)
“It doesn’t. They’re down a really good, productive player that’s done a lot of good things with the opportunities he’s had. But, like we’ve said, they’ve got a lot of depth at that running back spot, so it doesn’t change anything from a gameplan standpoint. You just know they’re missing one of their good players. But, if you’ve seen anything, it’s they’ve got a great ability to overcome and guys step up and play well in some of their starters’ absences.”

(On watching DT Aaron Donald’s speed when doing drills in practice)
“I think one of the things you notice, the talent is unbelievable. He’s (DT Aaron Donald) one of the rare players – if things continue on this trajectory – what I think these great players look like. You talk about, ‘What’s the difference between the good ones and the great?’ It’s the talent, but then it’s using that talent and working as hard as you possibly can to maximize that talent. There is never complacency that sets in. You continue to come away impressed with just his overall athleticism. I’m just as impressed with his consistency in terms of how he works. Nobody’s more intrinsically motivated than him, and I think that’s why he’s great.”

(On Donald saying he trains like a defensive back and if he thinks Donald looks like one)
“He trains like the guy that’s trying to be the best player in the world. I think he uses a bunch of different drills that sometimes are equipped for ‘DBs’ (defensive backs) in terms of the footwork, the lateral agilities, the short-space quickness stuff. But all of it is applicable to being a great defensive lineman and, certainly, he’s going to use anything he can to try to get an edge, and I think that’s what he’s talking about.”

(On if he would say that WR Josh Reynolds has essentially three different positions the challenges that present during long stretches where he has to keep his head in the game on the sidelines)
“It is. I think it’s a real challenge for him and I thought it was interesting that his best week from a mental standpoint when you look at it and (Wide Receivers) Coach (Eric) Yarber does a great job, (Assistant Wide Receivers Coach) Liam Coen. Even Coach Yarber pointed out to me before the Cincinnati game, ‘(WR) Josh (Reynolds) has really been on the screws. Being able to move to a bunch of different positions.’ I don’t think it’s by chance that then when the opportunity presented itself to step in, play more snaps than maybe what you have anticipated, that you’re able to capitalize on that opportunity. It is tough. He’s smart enough to be able to fill in wherever that need is. You look at last year, he was able to fill in. (WR) Robert (Woods) kind of adjusted to more of an inside slot player, playing some of (WR) Cooper’s (Kupp) role so Josh was playing what Robert’s position typically is. Then, (WR) Brandin (Cooks) goes down and Josh is playing Brandin’s position. He can play all the spots, but you have to mentally prepare from a gameplan standpoint to fill in for any one of those guys is a great challenge. He did a great job filling in and I think it’s a little bit easier now knowing that, ‘I’m going to be a starter and have more of a singular focus going into this game.”

(On the difference between the three different wide receiver positions that Reynolds was juggling)
“It would basically be you have certain plays that you’re running, but with the three receivers, if you’re in 11 personnel, all of them within the one play have different roles and responsibilities. He’s got to have a big picture ownership of not just what’s the play if I’m playing the ‘X’ the ‘Z’ or the ‘F’, but the concept overall. That’s how we try to teach, but it’s one thing to be able to say, ‘I know it all.’ It’s another thing to seamlessly be able to react when the play clock is moving, you’re getting in and out of the huddle. So that to me, is where the challenges are. It’s easy as a coach to slow it down. ‘Hey, what do you have right here?’ That’s not real football when you’re operating off a play clock and you’re trying to change his tempos and different things like that. It’s basically his mastery of the offense is what enables him to have that versatility. Where as a lot of guys kind of make themselves limited in what they can do because they only know one position and that’s why Josh is so valuable to us.”

(On the final decision on LB Bryce Hager)
“We are going to place him on IR. We were just talking about that before we came in. We talked with him, he’s obviously disappointed, but I think it’s in the best interest for him to get healthy. Then see what this thing does when we give it some time and not having to go through the back and forth of ‘How am I going to feel today? Am I going to contribute and compete with my teammates?’ I feel like this is the best decision.”

(On what the corresponding move will be with Hager moving to IR)
“We might not make any move. You look at it, I thought it was interesting where we had 52 in Atlanta and the need presented itself to get (S) Jake Gervase up for a special team’s role when we had that open spot. There’s not a necessity to have 53 guys necessarily on the roster unless we feel like there was a need to fill that spot when it does open up for Bryce.”

(On if RB Malcolm Brown play on Sunday)
“He’s going to play. (Rcool smiley Malcolm (Brown) is going to play.”

(On if RB John Kelly will stay on the roster since Brown will play Sunday)
“He (RB John Kelly) will, but he’ll be inactive.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay - Media Availability - November 8, 2019

Shaky594November 09, 2019 01:42AM

With Hager to IR elevate Dakota Allen from PS

stlramz262November 09, 2019 08:37PM

Really? He's buried on the depth chart!

azramfan249November 09, 2019 10:07PM

And I left out Micah Kiser too!

azramfan228November 09, 2019 10:44PM

It was meant to be a question

stlramz210November 10, 2019 03:19AM