Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Pass Game Coordinator Shane Waldron, QB Jared Goff - Media Availability October 23, 2019

October 23, 2019 02:13PM
TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Pass Game Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach Shane Waldron, QB Jared Goff - Media Availability - October 23, 2019

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay
(On how the week has gone in terms of logistics and preparation for Sunday’s game)
“It’s good. If there is one thing in the last couple years that I think we’ve gotten accustomed to – whether it’s the lights going out at night and we have to adjust meetings, whether it’s adjusting where we do walk-thrus, where we have practices – our guys seamlessly handle it. It’s about getting ready for a football game. We had good meetings, a good walk-thru here and I’m looking forward to having a good practice this afternoon.”

(On what his message to the team is now considering the NFC West standings)
“We don’t really talk about that. It’s about, ‘Let’s string together another good performance. Let’s make sure that we play our best performance as a team this week.’ Going into the bye, you want to be able to say, ‘Hey, we put together two good performances.’ Really, we’ve got to have a great week of preparation and that’s really what our sole focus is on.”

(On if he pays more attention to scores around the league at this point in the season)
“Not right now. You’re always cognizant of what goes on and things like that. But, if there is one thing that I think has helped over the last couple years, you just never know what’s going to happen. Whether it be injuries or somebody beats somebody that’s unexpected. No. 1, you’ve just got to take care of your business. Usually, if you do that, things have a way of working themselves out. We know that there’s a lot of really good teams in this league – a lot of good records – but for us, all we can do is find a way to get our fifth win this week.”

(On if moving QB Jared Goff around is a new wrinkle in the offense and something they will use more moving forward)
“I think you always want to try and move the spot. It takes pressure off knowing, ‘All right, there’s going to be a consistent launch point,’ it marries with a lot of the things that we try to do in the run game. That’s always been something that we want to do. We were able to be able to get some of those plays off because we had some efficiency on some early downs and we were able to convert on third downs and stay on the grass, which I thought was really important for us to do that. Jared’s athleticism is something we want to take advantage of, but that’s kind of our core philosophy in terms of how we want to operate. I thought you saw – especially on that first drive with the one that he ended up working the back side in-cut to (WR) Cooper (Kupp) – good movement in the pocket. They went to a three-man rush, (T) Rob (Havenstein) did a great job of pancaking his guy and Jared felt where the rush was, moved around and really worked all the way through a progression. Those are the kind of things that I think are going to be important for us to continue to do if we’re going to be efficient like we expect to be offensively.”

(On Goff’s touchdown pass to RB Todd Gurley II)
“I thought it was a great throw. Had the time, recognized the man coverage where (Falcons DE) Vic Beasley’s peeling on him from an inside rush. I thought to be able to get that ball up and down while knowing that you can’t leave it floating all day because (Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley II) is going to end up running out of bounds and then there’s a post safety coming over the top. So, it was great touch, great trajectory and, really, it was a great play by both those guys to get us on the scoreboard.”

(On T Bobby Evans being active last Sunday and if he is showcasing his progression and versatility)
“He (T Bobby Evans) is. He’s done a nice job just continuing to improve. (Run Game Coordinator) Coach (Aaron) Kromer’s doing a lot of work behind the scenes with those younger guys, just to continue to get them up to speed. I think, really, that showed by the way (T) David Edwards played in his first start – demonstrated that maturity and that poise that we talk about. But because of some of those things that we’ve adjusted, that kind of forces Bobby into an active role, just based on making sure you’ve got some contingency plans in place.”ad Had

(On how CB Jalen Ramsey has adjusted over the week and how he has brought energy to the team)
“I thought he (CB Jalen Ramsey) brought a lot of juice. He’s a really smart player, he loves football. It’s been a joy to be around him in this short period that we have. I thought he brought a spark for our team. You could see just the excitement when he ends up forcing that fumble on the sidelines. Any time that you’re around guys that love football, that are about the right stuff, that obviously carry that credibility just based on his resume with what he’s done in this league, I think it can’t help but give you confidence whether you’re a teammate, whether you’re a coach. It certainly was exciting to be able to have him. I think it’s only going to continue to evolve based on him getting a more intricate knowledge of the system and then how we can utilize his skill set to take advantage of things.”

(On if Ramsey is still absorbing the playbook pretty quickly)
Yeah, he is. He understands defensive concepts. In a lot of instances, a lot of these coverage principles and contours are things that he’s been a part of in Jacksonville. There just might be couple nuances in terms of what (Cornerbacks Coach) Aubrey (Pleasant) is coaching him on. Some of the fundamentals, the techniques, some of the progressions if you’re in some of our split safety stuff. It’s been pretty seamless because he’s so smart.”

(On what he thinks about the amount of trash talk that Ramsey does on the field and how he thinks it can affect a receiver as he was going back and forth with Falcons WR Julio Jones)
“I think it’s fun. I’m not exactly sure what’s going on, what’s being said. I just know it looks like he’s having fun out there competing. As long as it doesn’t do anything to take away from what we’re trying to accomplish as a team. Whatever is the best way for him to go compete and do his thing, we’re all for it.”

(On what it’s like spending a week back home in Atlanta)
“It’s cool, it’s great. My dad found a way to trick me into buying all those tickets. He was like, ‘You’re not going to really make me split that with you, are you?’ So, it was an expensive trip, but it was awesome. To be able to have your family there. You can’t say enough about just the love and support that you feel. To be able to get a win in Atlanta was something special for our team and I think it was great to get back on track and it’s nice to be here.”

(On CB Troy Hill quietly getting the job done)
“He does. He’s done a great job. Really, that goes back to last year, kind of like what you’re saying. He’s got great short space quickness, good lateral agilities. He’s made some timely picks over the last year and a half or so. He’s got some really good versatility where he can play the nickel or any of those outside corner spots. His skill set is a valuable one and I think it’s nice to see him doing his thing.”

(On how OL Austin Corbett and LB Kenny Young are coming along)
“They’re coming along. It’s a little bit more difficult when you just look at the way that we’ve had to practice right now. It’s hard to truly evaluate them from a physical standpoint. This will really represent the first opportunity since last week that we are able to physically get guys out there, do some work where they seem like they’re picking things up mentally. But, there’s been so much going on in a short period of time. I think that’s going to be a process that we’re going to be patient with.”

(On if views the London trip like other road trips or if it disrupts the flow of the season in any way)
“I think it’s something that we just deal with. The Bengals have to go through the same thing. So for us, I think this team is well accustomed to just adjusting and adapting. Being able to stay on the East Coast, I think is very helpful just from our previous experience a couple years ago when we stayed in Jacksonville. Guys are feeling good, they don’t make any excuses. They just go about their business in a professional manner. The nice thing is, is you get your bye afterwards. It is a lot of traveling, but each team has to go through it and we’re looking forward to the opportunity to see if we can play well in front of a great crowd and see if we can get our fifth win.”

(On what made him call the touchdown throw to Gurley and if they have been working on that play for several seasons)
“Well, that’s been a play that we’ve run before. That’s the first time that we’ve hit Todd like that where it’s kind of an over-the-top throw. It’s something that they did a good job executing. That’s a standard concept that a lot of teams run in the NFL, but for us it was a situation that we had hoped to get the look that we did. Ultimately, it’s about the players’ execution. They did a nice job right there.”

Rams Pass Game Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach Shane Waldron
(On the passing game rebounding last game against Atlanta)
“I thought we did good job of really staying in the rhythm of the plays. Then, when maybe the first or second read wasn’t there, (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) did a nice job of progressing quickly to his outlets and guys were able to make plays with the ball in their hand.”

(On if was it by design to have QB Jared Goff moving around the pocket)
“We had a good mix of some of the plays where he was moving just because of the rush and the O-line doing a great job of straining a little extra, getting guys out of the rush lanes, so he’d have to slide. He made a nice play to (WR) Cooper Kupp against a three-man rush in that situation. And then, there were several more plays where he did a nice job in the play-action keeper-game, where he’s breaking contain, getting out on the edge and really finishing through the throws, and had several completions on those as well.”

(On if the quarterback keeper plays were calls)
“Yeah, with the intent to get out of the pocket there. Yes.”

(On what his reaction was to RB Todd Gurley’s touchdown catch against the Falcons)
“Oh man, that was unbelievable. Especially, when you really look at the slow-motion replay, just the intricacies of what it took to really complete that catch. He makes the catch, catching the back-third of the ball, and then right before he hits the ground, he’s able to roll just ever-so slightly on his right shoulder so the ball never moves and it’s never in questions. So, it was a great individual play, great throw by Jared and it worked out perfectly.”

(On if he ever thought the touchdown play between Goff and Gurley would ever get used in a game)
“Oh yeah. It’s a play that has been a part of our system. Like you said, it’s been repped in practice over and over again. It’s one of those practice preparation equals game reality right there, where the play came to life and the guys did a great job executing it.”

(On as a pass game coordinator if he was holding his breath with Goff being that exposed in space near the endzone with a linebacker coming at him)
“Well when he got in there and had a spike go off the screen, it was all relief. It was a nice job of him. Again, he just did a good job of pressing the edge, and really forcing the issue, forcing (Falcons LB Deion) Jones to really go out there and make the play in space. He was able to put his foot in the ground and attack it with the ball up and everyone had to honor their pass responsibilities, so he made a nice decision there.”

(On being a league where everything is being done to protect the quarterback and him putting Goff out there as a target and if that causes any anxiety for him)
“I feel good about him making good decisions there. Obviously, we’re not looking for him to put the ball away and run through somebody and try a break a bunch of tackles there. Just making a smart decision with it. If he feels like he’s got the space to run and finish the play, then go ahead and execute it that way. If he feels like everything collapsing – the right play, in a lot of those circumstances you just take the throw away and play the next down.”

(On how T David Edwards did in his first career start)
“He did a great job. First NFL start there having to fill in and getting a chance to play next to ‘Big Whit’ (T Andrew Whitworth) and (C) Brian (Allen). He just made a seamless transition. He’s one of those guys that just approaches every day the right way, does everything right all the time. It’s not a shock to anyone in the building that he goes in there and, with the unfortunate situation with (T) Joe (Noteboom), that he’s able to go right in there. We were able to seamlessly progress as an offensive line. It just shows the communication and the leadership that Whitworth and (T) Rob (Havenstein) and () Austin (Corbett) and (C) Brian (Allen) have. That they were able to bring a rookie along that quickly, and he can go right in there and execute.”

(On former Rams coaches Matt LaFleur and Zac Taylor transitioning to head coaching roles, if he continues to monitor them and if he hopes to land a head coaching opportunity as well)
“I mainly follow those guys because they are great friends. You build great relationships in this business throughout the league. So, we want to see those guys succeed and so you’re going to follow them and see how they’re doing each week. As for the other stuff, really just more worried about this year – figure out the other stuff later.”

Rams QB Jared Goff
(On if he likes to move around the pocket, if moving him was part of the gameplan and if that is something he thinks the team can use moving forward)
“We do a lot of it. I think it was just the flow of that game and the way (Head Coach) Sean (McVay) wanted to call things. I do like it – it gets usually some easy completions and gets the ball on the edge to our skill players. It is a big part of our offense and it worked for us on Sunday.”

(On the difference in the throwing lanes when he is outside of the pocket compared to when he is in it)
“It’s very similar. I think the only difference is that the whole defense is moving with you, so the windows come open at different times. It’s very similar to when you’re in the pocket, kind of maneuvering defenders down the field.”

(On what the team’s mindset is going into the last game before the Bye Week)
“Go win. Only one game on the schedule right now, it’s the Bengals and we’ve got to go get it done.”

(On if there is extra urgency with the team currently being in third place in the division)
“No. We can only control what we can control and that’s our games from here on out. One at a time and it starts this week.”

(On how he likes playing in London)
“I don’t love traveling over there, but playing over there is not bad. I do enjoy the fans, different type of atmosphere that you get over there – where often times, they’re cheering for field goals. I think it’s fun, I think it’s cool. We do have a lot of fans over there – not only for the NFL, but for the Rams. I remember the last few times we’ve been over there, just seeing all those people with those jerseys – that is fun. The travel from L.A. does not please me all the time, but it’s something we got to do.”

(On the NFL having a team in London and hypothetically if that would be an feasible)
“There’s obviously been talk about it, but there’s so many obstacles for them to get through. I’m sure that it’s been in the works for a long time if they’re going to do it. It would be difficult from a free-agency standpoint and how to schedule home and away games. Again, that’s way above my paygrade but I’m happy with where I’m at.”

(On what CB Jalen Ramsey has brought to the team from a personality and influence standpoint)
“He’s (CB Jalen Ramsey) got a lot of attitude and it’s fun, it’s good to see. I think he does bring a little bit of spark to us, our whole team not only our defense just our whole team. Just knowing he’s over there on that side of the ball, he makes a play he gets fired up about it and you see that energy and that enthusiasm, and it translates over to offense and we feel it. He’s a great player and from what I’ve seen so far a great teammate and I’m excited to have him.”

(On playing against good trash talkers on defense and Ramsey trash talking Falcons WR Julio Jones)
“I’m sure he is. It fuels him and it’s part of his game, it’s part of what makes him great. It’s the same way for a lot of guys in this league but for him I think he would be the first to say that that’s how he plays. He plays with passion and it’s part of his game.”

(On how hard it is to block out noise like that)
“For me? I don’t hear it that much. I usually laugh at it. It’s usually fairly lighthearted toward the quarterback and sometimes the D-line will say something and it’s like, ‘All right, we’ll see you next play.’ I don’t tend to get too far into that.”

(On if he gets sucked into trash talking)
“No, I’ll throw some jabs back every once in a while (laughs). It’s part of the game, I think it’s fun and it keeps me relaxed. No, I don’t think about it at all.”

(On Bengals Head Coach Zac Taylor knowing his tendencies and if that causes concern)
“Of course, he (Bengals Head Coach Zac Taylor) does know a lot of stuff, not only about me but about our whole offense and our whole team. With that being said, we have changed a lot in the last six to nine months. Since he was here, we’ve changed defensively, offensively, schematically at times. There is the thoughts that he will be a step ahead of us, but we’re going to go out and play our game. I wish Zac the best, still want to beat him this week, but I wish him the best and I think he will do a great job moving forward.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Pass Game Coordinator Shane Waldron, QB Jared Goff - Media Availability October 23, 2019

Shaky327October 23, 2019 02:13PM