Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay - Media Availability - October 21, 2019

October 21, 2019 01:51PM
TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Media Availability – October 21, 2019

(On how the team came out of the game injury wise)

“Good. We came away clean, so we’re in good shape. Just kind of your typical bumps and bruises, but guys are feeling pretty good.”

(On how OLB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo has been pressuring the quarterback and how he has been doing the most with his opportunities)

“I think he did a good job. I think (Outside Linebackers Coach) Chris Shula has done an excellent job really getting some of those younger guys that you’re seeing a little bit more playing time from, up to speed. I think really our rush, as a whole, did a great job. Whether it was (DT Sebastian Joseph-Day) ‘Sebas’ drawing a holding call on a second down, whether it was (OLcool smiley Dante (Fowler Jr.) with three of his sacks, (Lcool smiley Cory (Littleton) got in on the action. I just think, really, the balance of being able to send guys forward and then being able to mix in some different coverage structures was really beneficial against a great offense yesterday.”

(On any other thoughts on T David Edwards after looking at the film)

“Yeah, it felt pretty similar to kind of what we had talked about yesterday. I thought he displayed really good poise and maturity for a younger guy making his first start, especially when you look at just the sliding inside at that guard position, things happen a little bit quicker. I think he did a nice job. I think he’s only going to get better. I thought he played with great length and protection. He did a good job getting his hands on guys and I think that was a big part of why we were able to keep (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) clean most of the day.”

(On Edwards previously playing tight end and quarterback in high school and if helped translate to his athletic ability as an offensive lineman in the NFL)

“I think so. Really, any of that athleticism at any of those five spots ends up being beneficial, but I think his position flex and some of the things that you saw movement wise. You see him on the screen that we threw to (TE) Gerald (Everett) for a touchdown. He’s getting out on (Falcons Lcool smiley Deion Jones, who is one of the best linebackers in the league. Making a key block at the point of attack, so I thought he had a lot of good things to be able to build on.”

(On if he had a chance to see any videos of DT Aaron Donald lifting Falcons RB Devonta Freeman off of the ground)

“I haven’t. I saw the scuffle, but did he actually pick him up? You’ll have to pull that one up for me. I didn’t see it.”

(On how Donald is playing)

“He’s playing really well. He’s playing at a really high level. He does dictate a lot of the times where the protection goes, things like that. But then when he does get his opportunity. I mean you look at when they slid away from him the one time, he’s got a two-way on the guard, ends up winning quickly. Then to have the presence to take that ball away from (Falcons Qcool smiley Matt (Ryan) as he’s taking him to the ground. I mean, those are the kinds of things that you see consistently show up. He’s a great football player and, really, he’s an instrumental part of some of the success we’ve had up to this point.”

(On S Taylor Rapp and S Marqui Christian filling the shoes of S John Johnson III)

“They did a really nice job. I think (S) Taylor Rapp taking on added snaps, really did a great job. (S) Eric Weddle’s command and leadership can’t be underestimated in terms of the value that he provides of making everybody feel confident and what’s supposed to be going on. What are our adjustments within the framework of whatever call we’ve made in that type of situation? I thought (S) Marqui (Christian) did a great job in a lot of our known passing situations, you can just feel his range. Taylor Rapp is just a player that’s just going to continue to get better. Like we’re talking about with David Edwards, mature beyond his years for a rookie and doing a lot of good things from those two.”

(On what the schedule looks like staying in Atlanta for the week)

“It’s going to be a normal week for us – just in terms of getting into your Monday rhythm and getting ready for a Sunday game, just being in Atlanta. We did something similar, like you mentioned, when we played Jacksonville a couple of years ago, and then leading into playing Arizona in London. We will try to keep as similar of a weekly rhythm as we can. The only difference is, I think it’s beneficial, really, to get the entire plan in before you end up traveling. So, you kind of expedite your install plans before you take that long flight, so that guys are not having to learn stuff once you get to London for Friday, Saturday and Sunday.”

(On how that will impact CB Jalen Ramsey as he tries to catch up)

“I think it will be good though, being able to have a full week. The one thing that is so nice is when you’ve got a smart player, he’s been playing a lot of similar coverage contours and structures. Certainly, you saw him match up and play some different variations of man. He’s got great zone awareness. In a lot of instances, it’s really just, all right what are the subtle nuances and the fundamentals and the techniques that might be slightly different than what he’s done? But, I think his ability to play a variety of coverage structures and different things like that. I think he’ll be in good shape this week just having another week because he’s such a smart player.”

(On Ramsey’s physicality and if he was aware of that prior to him joining the Rams)

“I knew that just from having played against him and just watching him from afar that he was a physical player. He demonstrated that coming up and he’s getting a forced fumble yesterday on a cross-crack play. I just think whether it’s competing in coverage or even just in run support, when he’s asked to do that, he’s demonstrated just he’s got a knack for making plays and then he plays tough, he plays physical. I think that showed up yesterday, which is a good thing for us.”

(On facing Bengals Head Coach Zac Taylor and if he’s spoken with him throughout the season)

“Yeah. I think in a lot of these instances what it’s a great reflection of is what a great leader he is, how consistent he’s been. Liked we’ve talked about before, you learn a lot about people when you go through some of these adversities. I thought it was good for us to be able to go through some of these things we’ve experienced over the last month. I have talked to (Bengals Head Coach) Zac (Taylor). I have a whole lot of respect for him, I love him as a friend. To see the way that he’s handled things only further demonstrates why he’s a special person.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay - Media Availability - October 21, 2019

Shaky319October 21, 2019 01:51PM