Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The real reason the Rams got Ramsey

October 17, 2019 12:28PM
I'm lukewarm about this trade from a football perspective. From my point of view as an attentive but not particularly knowledgeable NFL fan, it seems that CBs have a tendency to fade quickly from dominance to mere competence. Remember "Revis Island?" He got paid and paid big, and two years later was just a pretty good CB making superstar money. There are certainly exceptions - Patrick Peterson has been consistently excellent for a lot of years. But I worry about giving a huge 4-5 years contract to a CB as it seems too many of them look like a bad investment in year 3 and after. Sometimes sooner.

That being said, I think the football perspective was only a piece of this picture. The fact is, JR is a STAR. He talks big, is not afraid to cause controversy, is active and effective on social media, and is generally a larger than life figure. And, at the moment, he is also a top CB.

In other words, he is a player that was made for the LA market, and in particular an LA market in which sellings PSL's and season tickets at a new, premium-price stadium is a huge priority of the club. Someone near the top has said that we need more than good football players, we need stars. And Jalen Ramsey has that in his DNA.

On a related note, Jim Fassell was on Between the Horns podcast recently and was asked what the Rams need to do to arrest the current slide. He basically said "do something different" to get the attention of the team and communicate the urgency of turning things around. I think trading Peters, signing Ramsey, elevating Edwards and trading for Corbett definitely meets the definition of "do something different." We'll see how things turn out.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

The real reason the Rams got Ramsey

PeoriaRa621October 17, 2019 12:28PM

Re: The real reason the Rams got Ramsey

BeachBoy276October 17, 2019 12:40PM

Re: The real reason the Rams got Ramsey

oldschoolramfan242October 17, 2019 12:50PM

we're not in Kansas anymore , Toto.....

Rampage2K-259October 17, 2019 01:38PM