Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Run Game Coordinator Aaron Kromer, QB Jared Goff, CB Jalen Ramsey - Media Availability - October 16, 2019

October 17, 2019 12:30AM
TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Run Game Coordinator Aaron Kromer, QB Jared Goff, CB Jalen Ramsey - Media Availability - October 16, 2019

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay
(On if he has an update regarding S John Johnson III)
“He’s (S John Johnson III) going to have surgery in a couple weeks – get his shoulder fixed. When you look at it and get the opinions, it’s something that we all felt like was the best thing. Most importantly, I think that’s what’s best for John over the longevity of his career and how much time he’s got left. Disappointed – that’s a big-time contribution that we’re going to miss out on. He’s had a great season up to this point, he’s really done a nice job continuing to develop. This is a temporary set-back for him and he’ll come back strong.”

(On what he thinks CB Jalen Ramsey brings to the team and if he’s had a chance to speak with him)
“I spoke with him (CB Jalen Ramsey) yesterday. Excited to get him out here. He’s in the process of finalizing just getting out here and getting going. Very exciting thing for us. Obviously, you know the caliber of player that he is – the competitiveness, the toughness. Really, all the traits that you look for in a corner, and those are some of the things that are exciting about getting him in here. Looking forward to really just getting to know the player and figuring out how he’s going to help this football team.”

(On if he thinks Ramsey will be available to play on Sunday)
“The goal is to be able to do that, but we’ll be smart about it. I think that we definitely want to have the intent to get him ready to go and we’ll always make smart decisions. But, yes, that’s the goal and we’ll figure out if that ends up coming to fruition or not.”

(On who would start if Ramsey was not available to play)
“(Ccool smiley Darious Williams is a guy that we feel really good about. He’s had a really good camp, did a lot of good stuff in the preseason, so he would be the next guy up.”

(On what Tuesday was like for him with losing CB Marcus Peters but bringing in Ramsey)
“That’s part of it and you’ve got to be able to adjust and adapt. I think the first thing is you want to say thank you to (former Rams Ccool smiley Marcus Peters for his contribution over the last year and a half or so. We’ve gotten a good relationship and I’ve really been very appreciative of how he’s been from day one. Even just yesterday when he’s leaving and going out to Baltimore, I thought it was a great reflection of just handling things the right way. I wish him nothing but the best and I’m a big fan of Marcus Peters and very appreciative of what he’s done for this team, for me and getting to know him. I love him and I’m looking forward to seeing him continue to succeed for the rest of his career. Getting Jalen in here – like I said – looking forward to getting to know him. I know he’s a really good football player, has a really unique skillset. But, it’s about us getting to know him, continuing to figure out what’s the best way to put him in the right spots and then, how does he fit with his 10 teammates? That’s something that we’re excited about getting going on.

(On what LB Kenny Young and OL Austin Corbett’s roles will be)
“That’s to be determined. We just got them (LB Kenny Young and OL Austin Corbett) in here. These are guys that we were familiar with – being younger players when you evaluate them in the draft – and then they have had some experience that you can draw on in the NFL. It’s the same thing with Jalen even though he’s got more experience and he’s got more tape out there. But, really, with all three of these guys, let’s get them involved in this building, get them to know their teammates, their coaches and then ultimately try to put them in positions to succeed.”

(On if he has updates on RB Todd Gurley II, RB Malcolm Brown and who will fill OL Joe Noteboom’s position on the offensive line)
“With (Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley II), he is going to go today. He’s going to do some individual things like that. He just took part in the walk-thru, so he’s definitely making good progress. (Rcool smiley Malcolm (Brown), we’re continuing to be day-to-day with him. We’ll rest him today, and then we’ll monitor that as the week progresses. It’s looking like we’re going to see (T) David Edwards at that guard spot.”

(On if there is a conversation with the players telling them that Tuesday’s moves are about this season as much as they are about the future of the organization)
“Yeah. It’s a production business now, while you also want to have a big-picture perspective. That’s part of our job, that’s part of the role that we have. You just see how important it is to produce in the present, and that’s what we want to be able to do. Every move that we make is in the immediate future, but also with consideration of the long-term future as well. That’s part of what you have to do and what the balance is and kind of how you say, ‘All right, what does that look like in terms of right now and then four, five years down the line?’ Those are things that we always take into consideration and definitely are part of our decision-making process.”

(On what T David Edwards has shown)
“Just good, steady progress. He’s got a comfort level with the fundamentals, the techniques. He’s played both those spots, he’s really played both tackle spots as well. I think just the production that we’ve seen from him, the way that he’s been able to grow, we’re very confident that he’ll be able to step in and do a nice job.”

(On getting players in now instead of the draft and if the coach always err on the side of the now)
“I would say this, as you continue to get experience, I think you’re really kind of developing your philosophy. You know what a point chart looks like and how that fits and measures up, but I think there is a kind of a gut instinct in terms of, all right, would this be something and there’s the money element that comes into play with the salary cap and different things like that. That’s why we’re so fortunate to have (Owner/Chairman) Mr. (E. Stanley) Kroenke be so committed to giving us the resources necessary and so appreciative of his leadership and guidance that he provides. All those things do come into play, but really you weigh the pros and cons. You have to make those decisions and usually those are easy to kind of look at right now. A few years down the line, you can really say, ‘Was it the right decision or was is it not?’ It’s always easy to kind of have an opinion, but then when you look back on it after the fact and you really get a chance to evaluate the player the way that that player fit in to the team. Did it work out over the longevity considering the fact what you gave up? I think that’s when you can really, truly evaluate it. We feel good about it, we wouldn’t have done anything that we didn’t feel good about and didn’t think that was in the best interest for the team.”

(On if he has any concerns with Ramsey’s ability to fit in with the team)
“No, because I think you want guys with some swag, some personality, different things like that. As long as those guys love football, they love competing every single day, I think usually this is a building that I think will suit him well. We always do our due diligence in terms of the people that we value and trust that have been around him. Those are the things that have been consistent with what we’ve heard. You get really good reviews back on him, we’ve got a couple guys on this team that have played with him that speak very highly of him. When you do all those things, I think you feel confident to be able to make decisions that are really from educated opinions, as opposed to sometimes what the perception can be where they really know the human being day-in and day-out.”

(On if T Bobby Evans will play more with the change at left guard)
“(Run Game Coordinator) Coach (Aaron) Kromer does a great job of continuing to develop those guys. I think what you do see is, you never know. It’s one thing if you’re really cemented in one of those starting five roles. Those guys are those backups and usually you’re carrying two backups on gameday. Then, you’ve got three on your roster with your 53 active. It’s about making sure that, okay, there’s a bunch of different situations that could arise. We can’t just have guys that are one position players. You want to be able to continue to develop their depth, but (T) Bobby (Evans) is a guy that we think has a bright future whether that be at the guard or the tackle position, remains to be seen, but I do think that he can do both.”

(On what Ramsey’s week look like to make sure that he is up to speed to be able to play Sunday)
“The first thing is let’s get him in here. Let’s get him up to speed, mentally. Let’s see how he’s feeling physically. Then, it’ll be an incremental build. Really, we’ll do what’s in the best interest of Jalen and our team. If he can go, if he’s feeling good with all things considered, then I think you can expect him to play. If not, then we’ll make the right decision for him and the team. Those are things that until he gets in here, it’s hard to truly say. It’ll be about let’s get the mental and the physical on a slow, progressive build that’s smart for him as the week progresses.”

(On winning three games in a row and losing three games in a row and if it’s hard to look within to do something different or not)
“I think in a low of instances, you try to keep consistent with whatever the result is. Lets still look back on what are the things within each individual’s role that we can all do better. I know that there’s an added sense of urgency when you don’t get the result that you want, but you try to be consistent with that. That’s the thing that you love so much is that whether you won or whether you lost, you go back to work and you’ve got another game to prepare for. I think that’s what helps you bounce back and then that’s where you can’t dwell on if you do have success too long because then the next week catches up with you and you’re not ready to go. I would say, I know for me and I think a lot of our players and coaches would agree, the exciting thing is, you can’t look back on what occurred already, but I’m excited about the opportunity we have against the Falcons in Atlanta this Sunday.

Rams Run Game Coordinator Aaron Kromer
(Opening Remarks)
“I’d like to start first just by talking about (T) Joe Noteboom. The guy put in so much work, so much sacrifice, moved positions, played left guard instead of his left tackle (position) that he was brought here to do. Right when he was really starting to get it, these last two games, he had a lot of success and was really helping our offense move forward. For him to get hurt, man, I feel for him, the family, and it hurts all of us. Of course, we get close to these guys and that just stinks for him. The season is going to go on, and there is nothing we can do about that. We have to move on and I know (Rams Head Coach) Sean (McVay) had already said that (T) David Edwards will fill in that spot. We feel highly about how fast he’s learned football. Obviously playing at Wisconsin, he has a good upbringing in college, big time football. We feel like he’s going to do the job there and we feel like it’s the best bet for us. We’ve been inconsistent as an offensive line and as an offensive unit, in general. We’ve had spurts. If you look at that first drive running it all the way down the field last week, against a good defense. Same thing at Seattle, getting some good runs, having good protection. And then, you get behind the chains or you get in a bad situation that’s never good for an offensive lineman or a quarterback. If we can keep more efficiency and get back to the Rams offense that we know, as far as be a little bit more consistent on first down. If you don’t, then be able to make up half or so on the second down if we get in a second-and-long situation. We’ve just been in disadvantage situations. Whether it’s one guy or 11 guys, whatever, it doesn’t matter what it is. We are not quite there at this point.. But, we do believe we are getting there. We are excited about the opportunity to give David in there, and continue to work with this line, we’ll have another couple of young backups ready for the game. We will see who it is later in the week as it goes on and we make the best decision there. All and all, obviously, we’d like the season or the offensive line, the offense to be playing better at this time. When it all comes down to it, I’m sure Sean has already said it, it’s fundamentals and technique. It’s everybody doing it together. Can we get the fundamentals and techniques of 11 guys, five guys in my department, to do it right at the same time in order to have success. We’ve had that, but not consistent enough to be the powerful offense that we want to be. Our daily job right now as a coach, is really, ‘Hey, what can I do to change it?’ Each person in the building, what can we do to get better?’ It’s being hard on each other, them being hard on me, me being hard on them, meaning demanding the right things. Which we do from day one, but have we done it hard enough? I don’t know. We know this, we are going to continue to do it, we are going to make sure that we get better at fundamentals and techniques as a group and as a unit. Individually we haven’t, but you need 11 guys to do it at one time to have success. We look forward to that opportunity, we look forward to the challenge. We haven’t been in this situation, you all know that, since we been here at the Rams. As coaches or as players, we’ve all been in this in the past and the best way to get out of it is to make sure you understand what you need to do, how you that need to do it, and how it helps the team.”

(On T Rob Havenstein and T Andrew Whitworth’s performance over the last few games)
“Like I said prior, we’ve been in situations that we haven’t been in, in prior years. We haven’t been down at the end of the game and have to come back as many times as we have. We haven’t been down in games and had to throw the ball as many times as we did in Tampa, just to get back in the game. We didn’t get in situations like San Francisco where the last drive we are trying to score twice, as opposed to once to win the game. We haven’t been in these situations. It’s a mental test for all of us, a physical test for all of us. This where the techniques in those departments, you think about is there too much pressure in those situations? And I say no. It’s football, you do what you are supposed to do, you do it how you’re supposed to do it. And if guys do that, you go down and score. If one guy of the 11 doesn’t, could be receiver, could be a quarterback, could be a half back, could be left tackle, could be left guard, could be anybody. There is a chance you make a play, but not a good chance.”

(On what the plan is to integrate OL Austin Corbett into the offense)
“That’s a good question. Coming out of college Austin, we thought was a good athlete a good college player. For whatever happened in Cleveland where he hasn’t had the production that you thought, we’re excited about having him. We think he’s a big athletic guy and we’re going to try to wean him into the offense and see where he can fit and see if his athleticism fits us better than it did the Cleveland Browns. We have high hopes for him, but at this point being new and they really don’t use the techniques that we do, so it will take a little bit of time I believe. Hopefully we can get him helping us sooner than later.”

(On if he sees Corbett more as a guard or a center)
“I think both. I think obviously he’s athletic to play guard, but he bends well enough to play center. When we worked him out, we had him at center up at the college. He really moved down the line of scrimmage really well, he was athletic to the second level. I don’t know, we’ll see. We haven’t had a chance to get our hands on him yet, and really had much time with him. As soon as we do, we’re going to be excited about it I’m sure.”

(On Falcons Head Coach Dan Quinn saying when you have been to the Super Bowl you get studied more and if he feels like that’s happening)
“Anytime you’re the lead dog, people are going to be hunting you and that’s where we’ve been and everybody is hunting us. So, they are putting a lot of time into trying to stop us and our style of offense. You see the McVay descendants, if you want to call them, getting head coaching jobs around the league. They know that around the league there’s going to be three or four of our offenses out there and they need to be able to stop them if they want to win their division or make it to the Super Bowl or whatever it is for them. There are a lot of people studying us. I still say that there’s answers. There’s answers within our offense that we have and we just haven’t coached or executed them well enough this year.”

(On what else stood out to him about Corbett when evaluating him)
“Well, there’s two things other than his athleticism and ability to play in college. One was his intelligence. I believe he graduated in law and he is mature. A guy that’s married and is beyond his years maturity wise. Both of those things go well if you’re going to have a chance for success, you’re going to be focused enough to be able to do that.”

Rams QB Jared Goff
(On how he processed the organization’s personnel moves that took place on Tuesday)
“First of all, it’s always tough losing a guy like (former Rams Ccool smiley Marcus (Peters) – a good teammate, a good dude and a guy who worked hard and I got friends with. It’s always hard – that part of the business, that part of football. I think seeing the way he worked the last couple years and the type of person he is, he’s going to be successful wherever he goes and I wish him the best in Baltimore. Genuinely, I think he’s going to do really well and I’m always rooting for him. On the flip side of it, we’re excited for (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey). It’s going to be great – not only Jalen, but we get (Lcool smiley Kenny (Young) and (OL) Austin (Corbett) in here now. We’re excited for them. It’ll be good to see and excited to see them all play.”

(On what Ramsey brings to the defense)
“He’s a great player. We definitely were aware of him at all times when we were playing Jacksonville. He was a great player then and he still is. I think we’re super excited for him, excited to have him. I’m sure he’s excited to be here – I haven’t seen him yet, but he’s a guy I met and was able to briefly spend some time with through the combine process, the draft process and all that. I think the world of him, think he’s a great player and we’re excited to have him.”

(On if anything has changed from when the team was 3-0 compared to currently being 3-3)
“No. I think it’s all about our process. I think you have to take it – win or lose, you’re coming in the next week with the same process. Of course, there’s a different feeling in your stomach and a different feeling coming in on Monday after a loss rather than a win, but it’s the same thing. You approach it the same way, you look at the film, you learn from it, you get better, you hopefully get the stuff fixed. We’re working through some things right now and look forward to getting them fixed this weekend.”

(On Ramsey claiming he was an ‘average to above average’ quarterback last season)
“In relation to what he was calling a lot of people, that wasn’t half bad (laughs). Again, that’s part of Jalen’s attitude and it doesn’t bother me one bit. I thought it was quite funny, actually. I’m excited to compete against him in practice and I’m sure we’ll have some words when he gets here (laughs). Again, I think it’s all fun and games and I’m excited to have him.”

(On how having a team with swagger and personality helps with the weekly process)
“I think weekly we just have to keep that confidence. We’ve been a confident team for a long time now and this year is no different. I think it is hard to have that when you do lose a few in a row, but we do have a confident group, we’ve got a group with swag. When we are playing well, it’s really fun to be with these guys and see that confidence, see that swag. We do need to fix some things in a lot of places, and it starts with me on offense. We are getting there and getting back to it. Hopefully this is the week we are back on track.”

(On T David Edwards starting and what he brings to the offensive line)
“(T) David (Edwards) has done a good job. We’ve seen him fill in here and there throughout OTAs and training camp when (T Andrew) Whitworth would get a break he would fill in, do somethings. I like David a lot, I think he’s done a great job. I’m excited to see him go out there. He works hard, practices hard and I think he’s got a great future and excited to see what he does this week.”

(On areas the team needs to improve on)
“There’s a lot. Again, I think, kind of what I talked about after the game, just mainly consistency. Consistency — because we’ve seen the sparks, we’ve seen us have really good drives, we’ve seen us look like we should, quite a bit this year. We need to do that on a consistent basis, and do it drive in and drive out, really maintain that level of standard through the whole game. Again, it starts with me, starts with me every play. I need to do a lot better and will be.”

(On what he sees from the Atlanta Falcons)
“They’ve been a little bit banged obviously, on defense, but got guys who compete. I think upfront you see them competing every play, the way that they off the ball. I think their linebackers are two of the best young linebackers in the league and fly around great and do a great job. On the back end, they’ve got guys that compete and do a good job. They are young and physical and have to really truly compete. So, it will be another challenge for us and we are excited to go out there.”

(On not having a home game for the rest of the month and if there is a sense of urgency)
“I don’t know if it’s any more urgent than it has been. We are always pretty urgent, but I do think it will be somewhat galvanizing. When you’re off on the road, and all you do have is each other, you have that us against the world type of deal. It does tend to bring a team together and you hope you go out and get this win this weekend and build from there.”

Rams CB Jalen Ramsey
(On what it was like when he first heard he was traded to the Rams)
“I was excited, I had a ton of joy. I was at home, chilling, eating tacos. I don’t think I ate another taco the rest of the night.”

(On if he was in Jacksonville or Nashville when he found out he was traded)
“I was in Jacksonville.”

(On if he thinks the Rams will be a better place for him compared to Jacksonville)
“I hope so (laughs). I’m here and I’m excited to be here. I’m going to make the best out of it and I’ll be the best teammate and player that I can be on this team – for this team – so I hope so.”

(On what is the first impression he wants to make with the Rams)
“Just being a good teammate by my actions, really. Supporting them, going out there on the field, giving it my all, letting them see how I play.”

(On what he knows about the defense he’s joining and on him knowing OLB Dante Fowler Jr.)
“Yeah, I know (OLcool smiley Dante (Fowler Jr.), of course. I know (DT) Aaron Donald is on this defense – the best player in the NFL. (S) Eric Weddle back there, I got to get to know the guys a little bit more, of course – just now getting here – but I like the defense, I like the philosophy. I think I’ll fit in well, I’ll bring a lot of passion, energy and heart to the team and to the game. I’m excited to get out there whenever that may be and do my thing and see how I mesh with the guys.”

(On if he had a chance to talk to Fowler Jr.)
“We talked a little bit last night, but not in person.”

(On if he’s had a chance to talk about his contract and when he wants an extension)
“I’m not really worried about it. To be honest, I’ve kind of said that a lot, but I don’t think people really believed me. I’m not worried about it, it will happen in due time. I have full confidence in myself and my abilities. I think I will continue to be the best corner in the league for years and years and years to come. It will handle itself. It’s all in god’s timing.”

(On how he feels physically)
“I’m feeling pretty good, getting better and better every single day. I’m feeling pretty good, really.”

(On if he will be available to play on Sunday against the Falcons)
“I hope so, we’re going to see though.”

(On if everything passed with his physical)
“Yeah.”

(On if he was aware that former CB Marcus Peters was traded before he was informed)
“Yeah I was. I think it was a couple hours before, or maybe an hour or two before. Of ouse my phone started blowing up when that happened. Shortly after, yeah I got the call.”

(On what’s it like to hear former teammates QB Blake Bortles and Fowler Jr. saying he was a good teammate)
“I would hope so, I would hope I was a good teammate to them (QB Blake Bortles and Fowler Jr.), during time in Jacksonville. They know what I bring to the game and what I can bring to the team. That’s important, that’s big. I’ll try to do that, plus more here.”

(On how long of a day it has been with the traveling)
“Yeah, it’s been very long, but it’s all good though. This is a blessing, really.”

(On what time he started his journey to the west coast)
“I’d say I woke up at five o’clock Florida time. So, what’s that? Three (o’clock) here, two (o’clock) here? I was traveling basically for hours and hours. Then, I’ve been nonstop since I’ve gotten here, but it’s all good.”

(On if it is daunting to go to Atlanta on Friday and then London after)
“No, I’m good.”

(On how he would characterize what has happened in the past month and what swag he brings to the Rams after being involved in situations that have gotten a lot of attention and McVay liking players with swag and confidence)
“You’re all just going to have to see the type of swag, I guess. I think for the most part, a lot of people know who I am as a player on the field, not a lot of people know who I am off the field. Over me being here, my career being here, you all will learn who I am more and learn my personality a little bit, and see the guy I am. Yeah, I’m very confident. I love the game of football. I love to have fun.”

(On if he has heard that the coaching staff welcomes all types of personalities)
“Yeah, I’ve definitely heard that. I heard the coaching here is dope. Can’t wait to be a part of it, honestly. I can’t wait to be able to be myself on and off the field, and just help the organization in every way that I can.”

(On how familiar he is with the city of L.A.)
“Not too familiar. I’ve been here of course here and there in off-seasons at times. I’ll get more familiar with it I’m sure.”

(On what the main objective is for him to feel comfortable to play on Sunday)
“Feel comfortable like you just said, I don’t know.”

(On if the bigger hurdle is more physical or mentally getting up to speed on the playbook and schemes)
“It’s both equally important. I’m sure, not only myself, but the coaches and everybody will come up with a good gameplan if it’s smart for me to go out there on Sunday, then I will. I’ve been missing football. I love football, so I would love that, but at the end of the day, we do have to be smart as well. I don’t know, I can’t tell you yes or no right now.”

(On what his initial thought of being traded to Head Coach Sean McVay’s team and what he knew about this place)
“Like I said, I was over-joyed. I was super, super excited. A fresh start, and a fresh start in a place like L.A. with the coach that I have heard about here. I’m a young guy still. Everybody around here’s kind of young. I feel like it’ll be like a little bit more understanding. I was just honestly super excited, words can’t really describe it.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky524October 17, 2019 12:30AM