Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Grading the Jalen Ramsey trade from the Jaguars to Rams: Who won?

October 15, 2019 05:37PM

Bill Barnwell
ESPN Staff Writer

The Rams rebuilt their cornerback depth chart on Tuesday. In addition to placing veteran Aqib Talib on injured reserve, they traded away one former All-Pro cornerback Marcus Peters to the Ravens and then acquired another in Jaguars standout Jalen Ramsey. It's clear that they didn't get what they wanted when they traded a second-round pick and a swap of selections in 2018 to the Chiefs for Peters; is this trade likely to go better?

I'm not surprised that L.A. traded Peters and made a move for Ramsey. I suggested last week that they could make both these moves, though I put them together as part of a swap sending Peters to Jacksonville. Over the past few years, the Rams have repeatedly used their top draft picks to target talented players still on rookie deals. If the draft is full of uncertainty, the Rams' solution is to wait and see who pans out and trade their picks accordingly.

Barnwell's Grades For Rams' Deals

Rams get: CB Jalen Ramsey
Jaguars get: 2020 first-round pick, 2021 first-round pick, 2021 fourth-round pick

Rams grade: C
Jaguars grade: C+

The problem with that philosophy, though, has already begun to rear its head for this team in 2019. As constructed before the Ramsey trade, this Rams roster had major holes along the offensive line and at edge rusher and cornerback. Injuries have deprived them of several key contributors in Talib, Clay Matthews and Todd Gurley, but those are also two 33-year-olds and a running back with knee issues. Building a roster in which a team is counting on those guys to stay healthy is a risky proposition.

Full Article--
[www.espn.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Deion Sanders reacts to Los Angeles Rams' trade for cornerback Jalen Ramsey

RamBill676October 15, 2019 05:00PM

Jalen Ramsey gives the Rams a lockdown cornerback -- if he's used correctly

RamBill359October 15, 2019 05:10PM

RamBill244October 15, 2019 05:37PM