Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay - Media Availability - October 11, 2019

October 11, 2019 03:44PM

(Opening Remarks)
"From an injury standpoint, (Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley II) will be doubtful for the game, (Ccool smiley Aqib (Talib) will be out and then everybody else that was on the injury report should be in good shape. (Lcool smiley Clay (Matthews) is not going to play with his jaw wired shut.”

(On if RB Todd Gurley II will be a game time decision if he plays)
“He’s (listed as) doubtful right now. We’ll have a little bit more clarity and it’s really just kind of taking our time making that decision.”

(On how Gurley missed a few games last season and if Gurley doesn’t play on Sunday, how he thinks it will impact them)
“What you know is that you’ve got a lot of confidence in (Rcool smiley Malcolm Brown. (Rcool smiley Darrell Henderson (Jr.) is a guy that has a skillset that we do feel good about. If that’s the case, then obviously Malcolm, we feel more than confident can handle that and Darrell will look to get in there as well. As far as anybody else, that’s something that will be determined once we have the status of (Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley II) for sure kind of determined for us.”

(On if he has been able to get a read on if Gurley is improving)
“I talked to him before and he’s in a good place. I think he knows his body as well as anybody. I think we all know what a tough, elite competitor he’s been in terms of the things that he’s been able to push through. Really, it’s just about that collaboration, that communication and then making sure we do, No. 1, what’s best for him. He’ll always be able to communicate that honestly with us. We’re a better team when we do have Todd Gurley, but if he’s not feeling right, then that’s where you have the confidence in the other guys to step up.”

(On how close he has been to using RB Darrell Henderson Jr.)
“There’s a situation where you have a lot of confidence in him. (Running Backs Coach) Skip (Peete) has done a very nice job with him. But then, there’ a so been some things where it’s like, okay, haven’t been able to really run it as much just based on some of the circumstances and you want to really try to get (Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley II) and (Rcool smiley Malcolm (Brown) more involved and then you’re trying to find touches for Darrell. It’s been a positive problem for us, but he is a guy that we always anticipated at some point, whether it’s this week or down the line, is going to help this football team. That’s something that I do believe will happen at some point.”

(On how Henderson’s skillset is different from the other running backs)
“He is a complete back like those other two. He’s a slasher-type runner. Really, haven’t seen him a whole lot in some of those live game settings other than the preseason or when you’re evaluating his Memphis tape. He’s got a great feel for the game. I’ve heard (Former Head Coach) Mike Shanahan say this, ‘Some of the best runners you’re around, usually you don’t have to tell them how to run the ball.’ They have a good feel for it and they have an understanding of where the play starts. Kind of feeling and picking and choosing their spots accordingly. He’s got great hands. He’s got a nice skillset that makes him a versatile piece and that’s a reason why we like him so much.”

(On if Gurley has been evacuated from his home after tweeting about his mandatory evacuation)
“He has and a couple other players. I know that they are okay, but those fires – I could smell them when I was driving over here. It’s so unfortunate and it gives you such a perspective. This is now the third year in a row that stuff has happened. Obviously, I’m newer to this area, but it’s so unfortunate when you watch people have to go through that. It’s affected three of our players right and hopefully it’ll be something that they’re able to return back to their homes with no damage done and guys get everything under control.”

(On if he is able to say which players got evacuated)
“It’s (OLcool smiley Samson (Ebukam) and (S) John Johnson (III).

(On if all the players are at the facility)
“Yeah, they’re here. Everybody is okay, but I can only imagine how I would feel. A couple years ago, we had to get evacuated from my house and that’s an unnerving thing. Is it close, is it not? Those are things that are not fun to go through and you never wish that, especially on our guys.”

(On if there is any point of emphasis on the defense as far as making adjustments)
“What we want to do is, let’s look at what are the reasons why? There are some instances, too where the points can be a little bit misleading where offensively, we turn the ball over and gave them some short fields against Tampa (Bay Buccaneers). It’s always about the team, but it’s really, okay, if it is focused on the defense, what are the things that we haven’t done that have enabled teams to be able to make some plays? How do we face that? How do we fix it and then, how do we make sure that we do it better if it’s something that the 49ers activate? I think before you even get into your game preparation for your upcoming opponent, you’ve got to make sure that you’re aware of fixing your mistakes and making sure you don’t leave those same things susceptible to being attacked again. Our guys have done a great job. I’m confident that it’s going to be a great challenge, but guys are going to be ready to go and play well on Sunday.”

(On having a lot of personalities from his defensive backs and what he thinks it is about those personalities that make for a good secondary)
“I think the one thing that is consistent, we’ve got some coaches with some great personalities too. I think that there’s a mutual love for football. The guys all work hard, they enjoy that and there’s a consistent accountability. I think when you’ve got the consistent core beliefs and a mutual respect for one another, that’s really a good chemistry that they have. We enjoy it and that’s part of the deal. You want guys that have some swag, some confidence. That’s really what you feel from that room.”

(On if CB Aqib Talib’s injury is a bruise or a break)
“It’s his ribs. I guess we’d have to ask (Director of Sports Medicine and Performance) Reggie (Scott) specifically, but those are things that really do effect and inhibit your ability to move around. It’s his ribs.”

(On if he would consider bringing RB John Kelly off the practice squad and making active for this game)
“That could be something that we would explore. If Todd’s out, you might have to find another spot to get three backs up. That could be something that you could see us potentially do, definitely.”

(On his confidence level in CB Troy Hill stepping in for Talib)
“Very high. He’s played a lot of football. He played a lot of football last year. We think he’s a starting-caliber player. He’s got great short-space quickness, good agilities, good lateral movement. He’s got a good understanding of what we’re trying to get done. Really, he’s one of those versatile players that can play corner, he can play the nickel spot for us. His movement, his competitiveness, you look at when we played them (San Francisco 49ers) in week 7 last year, the interception that he made on the jeep in-breaking route – really impressive. When Troy’s played, he’s played well, he’s played at a high level and we’re very confident in Troy.”

(On Gurley’s injury catching him off guard)
“Here’s what I would say, I don’t know that it caught me off guard is the best way to articulate it. I think it was one of those deals where he’s so physical that you’re just saying you get your typical bumps and bruises usually you turn over pretty quickly. That was communicated to me that he had taken a good shot. He has adrenaline going and he’s so tough to just continue compete. He stayed loose during the course of the game, so it didn’t pull him out, but when you look at it if you get caught in the right spot, those things it’s hard where you can’t get that full range of motion back. Especially when so much of your movement is predicated on being able to put your foot in the ground and have those reactionary movements as a runner. I don’t know that it caught me off guard, but I think he got caught with a little bit better injury, in terms of the shot that he took then maybe I had realized is probably a better way of saying it. He communicated it to us, but that is really what happened.”

(On if he came in for treatment over the weekend)
“Yeah he came in immediately. He’s been doing everything in his power to be able to get himself ready to go. He’s held up his end of the bargin and that’s why you have such a respect for these running backs and the toll that it takes when you just look at what a physical game it is out there. You’re standing on the sidelines and all it does is week-in and week-out continue to give you an appreciation for what these guys do and how physical this game is with the high-level caliber of athletes and the type of collisions that you’re seeing.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky293October 11, 2019 03:44PM