Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips, RB Todd Gurley II - Media Availability - September 26, 2019

September 27, 2019 12:09AM
TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips, RB Todd Gurley II - Media Availability - September 26, 2019

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay
(Opening Remarks)
“Injury wise, we’re in good shape. (TE Tyler) Higbee’s on pace to be able to play (on Sunday), as is (OL) Austin (Blythe). Those guys will be participants today. (DL) Michael Brockers is sick, so he won’t participate today, but hopefully it’s just a 24-hour bug and he’s feeling better. Other than that, we’re feeling pretty good.”

(On if Wednesday was a veteran’s rest day for CB Aqib Talib)
“It was. Especially just having as much travel as we’ve had in the first couple weeks – you said it – a veteran’s rest day is the best way that I would describe it.

(On if RB Darrell Henderson Jr. is closer to receiving more playing time and what the reasoning has been for him not receiving many carries)
“He (RB Darrell Henderson Jr.) has done a good job. With practice settings, things like that, it’s really just a matter of, ‘Okay, when you’ve got (Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley II) and (Rcool smiley Malcolm (Brown), who you do feel good about – and really, the narrative is that it’s hard to get those guys enough touches – how do we find a way?’ I think naturally, as the season progresses, those things have a way of working themselves out. (Running Backs Coach) Skip (Peete) has done a good him, as have the offensive coaches, just kind of bringing him along. We’re very confident that he’s got a very bright future with us. Those are things that we always talk about, we look at and it’s one of those deals where you kind of are always trying to find that best solution. But, I do believe at some point he’s going to make an impact on this team this year.”

(On his impressions of Buccaneers QB Jameis Winston when he came out of Florida State and how he thinks Winston has evolved over his career)
“I didn’t really, truly, dive into the evaluation part of it, just because I was in Washington – we had a pretty stable quarterback situation. I just remember with them (Florida State) being such a good, competitive team, seeing him (Buccaneers QB Jameis Winston) in nationally televised games, elite competitor. I always respected the fact that if something didn’t work out – I remember watching when (Packers Head Coach) Matt LaFleur was at Notre Dame, watching when Notre Dame and Florida State had a great back and forth game. Watching the way that he responded from a couple turnovers says as much as anything. He can make all the throws, you can see guys believe in him – his teammates kind of rally around him. He’s a guy similar to (Browns QB Baker) Mayfield in terms of you can create off-schedule, he can make some really impressive plays. He’s got the talent around him to be able to do that as well.”

(On if the team is doing anything different in its preparation with a game on Thursday night next week)
“Nothing different this week. Obviously, next week will be a modified schedule where we’ll immediately start that recovery process right after the game (this Sunday). Because the Thursday night game is occurred so early in our seasons over the last couple of years – Week 3 two years ago and then Week 4 last year – kept a similar kind of approach. Really, next week you don’t practice at all. You just kind of walk-thru and it’s a mental (week). The physical reps, we’re able to get all the same kind of normal rhythm and routine that we’ve had up to this point.”

(On when a game comes down to a defensive stand if it is difficult for him to watch the game unfold as if it is out of his control as an offensive coach)
“No, not at all because you still are on the headset. We’re talking, we’re talking through what call and different things like that. The beauty of what’s been great about getting a chance to have a couple years is you’re able to spend a lot of time with the defense as well. While being able to learn football, be able to talk to our defensive guys, work in unison with our defensive coaches and that’s kind of part of your job in my role. With the way that the game had played out, the confidence that we had in that sequence especially with what we were able to do on first down, force the ball to come out. Then, over the next three calls, it was fun. The players ultimately make those plays. I’ve really enjoyed being able to spend some more time with our defensive coaches and players. Then, seeing the success they’ve had through the first three weeks and the way that they’ve played and some of the improvements we’ve made has been encouraging.”

(On what is different about Buccaneers WR Mike Evans compared to the other tough receivers he has faced in previous games)
“Very similar in terms of the same threat that (Saints WR) Mike Thomas and that (Browns WR) Odell (Beckham Jr.) posed. These guys are big plays waiting to happen and he’s such a big receiver. Does a great job tracking it down the field. (Buccaneers Qcool smiley Jameis (Winston) does a nice job of recognizing the looks when they’re high percentage plays and he’s kind of one-on-one. You see the production. He’s in elite company when you look at just a guy that over the first five seasons where he’s had over 1,000 yards. I want to say that (Former 49ers WR) Randy Moss and (Bengals WR) A.J. Green are the only other guys to be able to do what Mike Evans has done in the first five years of his career in terms of the production. He’s a great player, he’s somebody we’ve got to be aware of. It’s a great challenge.”

(On the defense not giving up a pass play of 30+ yards all season despite the receivers they’ve previously faced and how much of that is attributed to having a sound, tackling secondary)
“It’s that, it’s being sound in your coverage principles, it’s being able to hit home whether you bring four or five guys as part of the rush. I think we’ve consistently done an excellent job with the communication. All 11 on the same page, you see the sense of urgency, how intentional our defensive guys go about the way they walk-thru, the way they practice. You’re seeing those practice performances translate into game reality. They’re in a good place and we talk about it all the time, they’ve had a really good start to this season and let’s see if we can continue to stay on this upward trajectory as we go into Week 4 against the (Buccaneers) Bucs.”

(On his perspective as the coach and having players like S Eric Weddle making adjustments to help the team and giving them the freedom as players to make those adjustments)
“He’s got great command. What I think is nice about some of the variety that we have on the backend is they really have tools that they can activate within the framework of whatever coverage concept that we’re running. (S) Eric (Weddle) always has a reason why he’s doing it. As long as everybody is on the same page, it’s sound. I think it’s important to be able to give our players ownership. He doesn’t at all take advantage of it. He’s so smart and the thing that’s so impressive really about our players, on defense and then Eric especially because so much of that communication comes from him. It’s one thing for (Defensive Coordinator) Coach (Wade Phillips) and for me to hold the clicker and be able to say it. It’s another thing when you’re processing it live action, real adjustments, when that play clock is ticking down and making sure that all 11, or whoever you’re making that call with, you guys are on the same page. He’s done a great job of that and I think that’s one of the things that makes him so special and unique.“

Rams Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips
(Opening Remarks)
“Tampa Bay Buccaneers, their offense, you don’t want to sleep on this team. They could easily have the same record as we do. Last year, they were toward the last (place) in rushing game, now they are at the top of the league. They had 499 yards last week. I think eight out of the last 19 games, they’ve been over 450 yards, they’ve got a really good offensive team. We know the weapons they have (QB Jameis) Winston, certainly at quarterback and (Buccaneers WR) Mike (Evans), (Buccaneers WR Chris) Godwin is a good receiver for them. They’ve been able to move the ball up and down the field on a lot of teams.”

(On with the longest pass reception given up on the defense being 28 yards)
“That’s too much.”

(On what has the secondary done well to not let allow big plays)
“I think we are playing well, No. 1. I think it started last year, toward the last part of the year I thought we played really well. I think It’s kind of carried over some, but we’ve added a few guys that have really played well for us, defensively too, so that helps.”

(On How quickly S Eric Weddle has been able to contribute)
“(S) Eric Weddle’s communication skills are outstanding and his ability. He’s come in and he’s kind of the quarterback on defense, in the secondary. We’ve got all of them that are really smart guys that adjust well to things. Our coaches have done a great job, our secondary coaches are outstanding in putting them in the right position to make plays.”

(On how important tackling is when slowing down the passing game)
“People are going to throw the ball and catch the ball on you no matter what. You’ve got to make the play when the ball is thrown down the field, make the tackle at eight yards, instead of 15, or 20, or 25, whatever. We have some good tacklers on defense. (S) John Johnson (III) is an outstanding tackler on, (S Taylor) Rapp has come in, he’s got the right name, he wraps up. Weddle, they ran the draw on fourth-and-9, everybody said, ‘Wow’ but he came up and made a great tackle, his one-on-one tackle with their best back. We’ve tackled well.”

(On how Winston is different than the three guys he’s faced at the QB position)
“Of course he’s got the receiver to do it, but he’ll throw the deep ball a lot. He moves in the pocket well, buys some time, not really a scrambler, but scrambles, good feel in the pocket and he finds people open. Sometimes the plays take a little longer because of that, but he finds the guy open or he just chucks it deep to Evans and he catches it. That’s a problem for you. He throws the quick pass too, I don’t mean that, but he can extend plays long enough to try to bomb you. Also, they run the ball a lot better this year, first-down especially, they will take a shot on first down.”

(On How much growth has he seen from Johnson III since he’s started as a rookie)
“When John Johnson came in, we knew he could play pretty quick. He started pretty early in his career and he’s just gotten better and better. He made a couple of big plays lately, one in the New Orleans game in overtime for an interception and then fourth down in the last game. He’s got a knack for making big plays. I think the great thing about him, is he’s an outstanding tackler. He’s an outstanding open-field tackler, he makes a lot of tackles that could of gone for more yardage if they had a lesser guy.”

(On how he's gotten to know his personality over the years)
“He’s matured like any younger guy would, but he’s a personable guy, he’s a fun guy. We’ve got some personalities and I like that about him. As long as they play the way that they do and focus on what they need to focus on, but they have fun too.”

(On the defensive stand against the Browns at the end of the game)
“Yeah it was my favorite part of the game, certainly, after the fact. (laughs) I just think you find out about your team those ways. I though last year’s team played great under pressure I say that all year. Our stats weren’t as good, but under pressure, I thought they played real well .Then this team there couldn’t be any more pressure, foul plays, you know they are going to go for it every down and you’ve got to stop them. I think you got to feel, ‘Hey we got them where we want them.’ That’s got to be your feeling, that we’re going to win the game here if we make our plays.”

(On his experience on goalline stands)
“380 something games. I’m not Sean McVay, now. (laughs) We did stop the Giants on fourth down on the goalline when we were playing against, (Former Head Coach Bill) Parcels in Denver, fourth-and-goal and we went for it and we stopped them. That was in 1989.”

(On the difference between CB Marcus Peters in the second half of last year and this year)
“I’ve said it before, It was really my fault, we didn’t play to his strengths. Our coverages are better toward his strengths, not that he can’t do almost everything. In certain situations, we let him play leverage on a guy more so than we did before rather than having to take a guy both ways. Still plays man, but he knows where his help is. He’s a smart guy. I just think I didn’t do a good enough job.”

(On subtle adjustments like that allowing players to flourish)
“I mean it’s all our philosophy, which is do what the players do best. Sometimes the coaches think they know better.”

(On LB Clay Matthews stats last year and how he was being used last year)
“Like I said you’ve got to look at yourself first. You can draw a lot of things up that look great on the chalkboard, we don’t have chalk anymore, but whiteboard. You can draw a lot of things up that look good, but it’s the players you have and how they can play. I’ll say this, he worked and worked at it and got better himself too over some of the things we were still doing. It wasn’t like we just changed our whole defense. Some of the things we’re doing with him I thought we finally hit it right.”

Rams RB Todd Gurley II
(On Aqib Talib’s son saying Gurley is his favorite player)
“That’s my guy right there. I’ve been seeing his little highlight videos, he’s been doing pretty good.”

(On if he’s been able to see Talib’s son play in a game)
“No, you know we can’t go. I think little league usually plays Saturday, so either we’re on the road or doing the walk-thru. I know Gypsy (Talib), (Ccool smiley Aqib (Talib’s) wife is at the games, so she just records it. He’s been having some good touchdowns, some good moves.”

(On Rams Head Coach Sean McVay taking accountability for getting Gurley going and what he thinks McVay can do to get him in the flow of the game)
“I’m pretty sure he (Head Coach Sean McVay) answered that question already, so it’s nothing for me to answer.”

(On if there is something tangible that is preventing him from getting in the flow of the game this season)
“We’re 3-0, that’s all I know.”

(On if he and McVay plan to sit downj to discuss ideas in order to get him going offensively)
“No. We’re 3-0, so there’s nothing much to talk about, honestly. Just get to 4-0.”

(On Rams S Eric Weddle and WR Antonio Brown tweeting at each other Thursday afternoon)
“I’m not answering anything about that. It doesn’t have anything to do with me. You can ask (S Eric) Weddle his questions.”

(On what it will be like going against Buccaneers DL Ndamukong Suh)
“It’ll be cool. (DL Ndamukong) Suh is a great guy. I like Suh – good dude. Excited to play against him.”

(On what he remembers about Suh when he was with the Rams in 2018)
“It’s a lot. Suh doesn’t really say too much, but just got a to really just know him. Text him during the offseason and stuff like that. It was good. Suh, he can flip the switch and be one of the most dominant players in the league. Obviously, we had ‘AD’ (DT Aaron Donald) and then having him, it was great. Loved having Suh as my teammate last year, also excited to see him again and be able to compete with him.”

(On if he thinks it is important to get into the rhythm of the game by getting consistent touches in order to be most effective as a running back)
“I think it would be easier to say that. Might have a game where you have 10 touches and 100 yards. Might have 20 touches and 100 yards. Just depends on the game, honestly. Just got to try to get things rolling. If they get rolling, they get rolling. If not, then you live to fight another down, you live to play another game.”

(On how he feels rookie RB Darrell Henderson Jr. has settled in)
“He (RB Darrell Henderson Jr.) is doing good. Just like I told him, this league period – just practicing and stuff, you’re not going to get (many) reps. When your time is called upon, you’ve just got to be ready. Obviously look at ‘Big Ben’ (Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger) going down, quarterbacks don’t get any practice snaps. If they do, it’s scout team. That’s just the big thing about this league is just being ready when your time is called upon and I think he’s been doing a pretty good job.”

(On what he notices about S John Johnson III)
“He’s a great player. Just keeps getting better each year and he (S John Johnson III) is going to be one of the top safeties in this league for a while. He just keeps continuing to grow and being the great player he is. He’s going to be in plenty of Pro Bowls and he’s going to help this team win just like he’s been doing these past couple of weeks. That’s my guy, super excited to have him on the team.”

(On what is said by coaches on how to approach Sunday’s game and not look ahead to next week’s game against the Seahawks)
“Well, if you don’t have questions like you just asked, wouldn’t have to really worry about it. Just trying to focus on today and the game Sunday. I don’t have nothings really to talk about on (next) Thursday. We’re playing Tampa Sunday, and when Monday gets around, we can focus on Seattle. Right now, our goal is to play against Tampa, not Seattle.”

(On if the best way to approach it is to not think or talk about the next game)
“It’s nothing to talk about. We don’t play them (Seattle) until Thursday. We have a whole four quarters to play against another team. No reason to look ahead to the future when you haven’t even accomplished the game before it.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky330September 27, 2019 12:09AM