Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Pass Game Coordinator/Quarterbacks Shane Waldron, QB Jared Goff - Media Availability - September 25, 2019

September 26, 2019 12:13AM
TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Pass Game Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach Shane Waldron, QB Jared Goff - Media Availability - September 25, 2019

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay

(Opening Remarks)
“We’re pretty healthy for the most part, so that’s a really good thing. With (OL) Austin Blythe, he’s making really good progress and we’re going to continue to take it a day at a time with him. He’s going to do some stuff today – as will (TE) Tyler (Higbee) – and both those guys are on track. Nothing’s guaranteed, but we’re going to take it one day at a time. We’re hopeful and we’re optimistic that those guys will be ready to go.”

(On pitfalls ahead of Sunday’s game and what he says to his players going into the game)
“Every single week there has to be a sense or urgency and a focus that’s really unmatched. It’s so competitive and when you look at the Bucs, they’ve really been down to the wire in all their games. The score is a little misleading with the 49ers when you’re looking under five minutes, it’s a one-possession game. They played really tough against them, they did an excellent job against the Giants and then they obviously beat the Panthers on the Thursday night game. This is a tough football team, a lot of great players, good coaches and there’s reason for us to have even more increased sense of urgency as we’re trying to build and get better in Week 4.”

(On how he’s seen the Buccaneers use DL Ndamukong Suh and what it will be like playing against him)
“Same things that you’ve seen throughout his (DL Ndamukong Suh) career. Moving him around on the front, doing a great job, extremely disruptive. In the first game of the year against the 49ers, in a 4th-and-1 he blows it up. He’s made a lot of plays, you see the versatility that we felt so good about having with him last year being able to move all over. He’s a great player that we’ve got to be able to handle.”

(On if he believes there is a specific reason for the team’s slow offensive starts this season)
“I think it’s a combination of things. I think, in some instances, you look at not necessarily the first quarter – I think it was the second quarter – where you end up getting a touchdown called back against the Saints. For whatever reason, it starts with me – I’ve got to do a better job. Three weeks is a small sample size, but nonetheless, no excuse. We’ve got to do a better job and we’re hopeful that we’ll see that starting this Sunday.”

(On if opponents have used different defensive looks than he anticipated)
“There has been. There’s been some different things, but that’s really like every single week. Again, however you cut it, it really ends up being whatever I end up saying to rationalize, ends up being an excuse. Starting with me, I’ve got to do better. I think everybody’s capable of doing a little bit better and if we take care of those things, we’re confident that the results will follow. That’s what’s encouraging about it. When you look at the film and you say, ‘All right, let’s be solution oriented. Are the things that we’re doing – or not doing to be able to be a little bit more productive – are they fixable?’ The answer is yes. Guys are capable of doing it, we’ve done it at times and now it’s just about doing it and, really, hopefully see a good opportunity to do that Week 4 against the Bucs.”

(On if the positive moments within games reinforcing his belief that the early game struggles are fixable)
“No doubt, and that’s part of it, too. This is a competitive league, we’ve gone against three really good teams and they’ve done a nice job. Part of being able to adjust and adapt is being able to finish the game. They don’t stop the game after halftime. You want to be able to play consistently throughout all four quarters. But, what’s most important is that we’re finishing the right way. Guys are able to gather themselves together and I think that says as much as anything about our team. Nonetheless, we’d like to play more efficiently throughout the whole game.”

(On what it will take to get RB Todd Gurley II going)
“I think we have to have more plays. Being efficient on those early downs and being able to sustain drives. The more plays we get, the better it is for everybody because the more opportunities and the more of a rhythm that we can get in where we’re able to kind of do a handful of different things. That usually goes hand-in-hand with really everybody having good games.”

(On what he makes of Gurley’s snap percentage being 15 percent lower than it was last year)
“I think it’s really, more than anything, the feel of the flow of a game, getting (Rcool smiley Malcolm (Brown) involved, too. We love (Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley II), Todd’s been extremely important. He still is and he’s going to be as the season progresses. But, Malcolm’s a guy that we want to get involved as well and we feel like the way that those guys have kind of balanced it out has worked out through the first three games. We just haven’t really gotten enough opportunities to get things going. Especially in those first halves, like we mentioned. Those touches are limited. When things are really going, you’re hitting on all cylinders, usually everybody’s getting an opportunity and you can do a handful of different things because now you’re forcing the defenses to change it up. Really, that’s what it boils down to. I think everybody ends up benefitting when we all play better collectively.”

(On what some examples are in games that makes him limit Gurley times)
“I think in a lot of instances, our job is to move the ball and score points. Based on what we’re looking for, whether it be some of the pass looks or some of the run looks, that might dictate leaning one way or the the other, based on whatever the game plan is by that week. A lot of it could be based on the defensive structure. In a lot of instances, sometimes you have to make gut calls with what you think is best. I certainly would never claim to be right on that as much as I’d like to be, but you always try to learn.”

(On if there will be a game this year where Gurley gets 25 carries)
“That’s the hope. If you look back at our Denver game last year, it comes the mind when you mention that. There were some different things where what they were doing. He got into a really good rhythm and he ended up having about that many carries and 200-plus yards. You’d like to be able to say that because that means everything is going really well. Each game ends up representing new challenges and different responses from us, based on what we think is the best way to move the ball.”

(On the offense being based on Gurley last year and if it’s load management with him this year)
“A lot of the looks are predicated on do we want to run, or do we want to pass? You want to get Todd Gurley involved as much as possible, but sometimes, I’m not going to force the run versus certain looks. As much as you want to get him involved, I think the big underlying theme is let’s just be more efficient offensively and I think everybody will end up benefiting from that.”

(On WR Cooper Kupp having back-to-back successful weeks, is he fitting more in the game plan or running great routes and if he thinks teams people are going to scheme on him)
“I think he’s done a nice job making plays with the opportunities that he’s had. In certain looks, he might be the primary, he might not be. (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) is doing a good job of finding him. Every time we throw the football, there are different types of plays that we activate. Some are in coverage reads, some are pure progression. There are different times that he fits in certain spots, whether it be as the primary or down the line in the progression. In a lot of instances, what we challenge Jared to do is let the defense dictate what your decision-making entails. Over the last couple of weeks, he’s been the beneficiary of making good plays. Some of the coverages looks have dictated that, that is where the ball should go and he’s done a nice job delivering.”

(On if he expects things to change and the defense to dictate what Goff does with having as much success as he’s had)
“I think that certainly defenses are going to be aware of him and when the situations are that maybe he might be targeted. That’s why you want to spread it around and we’ve got a lot of guys that we feel confident in — whether it be (WR) Robert (Woods), (WR) Brandin (Cooks), (TE) Gerald (Everett), (TE) Tyler (Higbee), Todd, there’s a lot of guys that we feel confident in. To be able to feature them in a progression, really on any down-and-distance. You always want to be aware of okay, what are some of the things that we’ve done that they might be trying to defend and how does that affect what we do in the following week.”

(On if he would agree if the offense hasn’t looked as crisp in the first few weeks as in his past seasons)
“Absolutely, yeah. I haven’t done a good enough job for us, I think it starts with me. I like the way we’ve responded and been able to finish games out in the second half, but we expect to be sharper overall. I think if I do a better job and then everybody else does a little bit better, I think we’re hopeful that we will see better results.”

(On him blaming himself for everything)
“When you feel like you’re responsible for a lot of the things that you could do better to help set it up in a situation that is more conducive for success, I think that’s the truth.”

(On if he is protecting his players or injuries by taking all the blame)
“I think what we try to do is have accountability from everybody. I would expect, whether it be one of our players or a coach, everybody has got to say, ‘Let’s look inward, lets figure out what we can do to be part of the solution, be solution oriented.’ That’s just kind of all I really know. I’m not going to make any excuses for why we haven’t gotten it done up to the level of our standards over the first three weeks. All I know how to do is work as hard as I can to try to get it fixed and I’m going to just keep grinding every single day.”

(On signing LB Jachai Polite and if he’s had a chance to talk to him)
“I haven’t had a chance to talk to him yet. He’s in here and he’s going to be held to the same standards and expectations as everybody else in this building. There were some good things that he did at Florida that are encouraging. We’re are excited to be able to have him. With that being said, everybody has got a standard to uphold and he will be in the same line in terms of those things.”

Rams Pass Game Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach Shane Waldron

(On how he feels the passing game has performed)
“I think there’s been some ups and downs. I think we can all do a little bit better job of starting a little faster, which we know we want to get some points going a little bit earlier in these games. There’s also been some great highlights and some great points through situational football where we have been able to execute at a high level and that’s something we’ve got to continue to do.”

(On the impact of the youth of an offensive line playing into how they have performed so far)
“I think it’s everybody. I don’t think it’s the youth of the offensive line or anyone at different spots or who’s getting it. It’s a great game of football, where it’s all 11 players that have to be great every play. I think if everyone just does a little bit better, a lot of the issues are solved. Some of those issues just come to that first down efficiency which we can look inwardly and just execute just a little bit better. Those plays that are those almost or those close ones, we can go ahead and make and execute and we’ll feel pretty good about that.”

(On having ups and downs and what’s been the reason for the downs)
“You can’t forget it’s still the NFL, so everyone we’re going against has great players and great schemes. I think with us, we really feel if we can execute ourselves, all 11 guys every rep, we have a good chance of moving the ball and putting up some points. It just comes down to that, that execution, that understanding, coaches, players, everyone just doing a little bit better job to get those drives going in those first and second quarters of the games.”

(On what he could attribute some of QB Jared Goff’s inconsistency to)
“With the decision making and everything that goes into that position, every play is highly scrutinized. Just with (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff), just like everyone else, it’s no different as far as that down in, down out execution and consistency. Really, just striving for that level that, you know, right from the first snap all the way through the end of the fourth quarter, we’re playing at a high level and making great decisions and trusting techniques. When the defense presents one thing, we trust our techniques and finish through with a good executed play.”

(On what he particularly wants to see from Goff in terms of finishing the first quarter of the season that he hasn’t done in the first three games)
“Just continuing to develop like he’s been doing throughout his career-developing as a leader and really guiding the guys. There are inevitably in every game, there’s going to be those ebbs and flows. Just being that guy that everyone can rally around and break through some of those moments that we might have a slow series on offense. Just being that leader, which he’s done a great job with and then just continuing to do a great job with. Knowing that, ‘Hey, at the end of the day, the goal is to win the game.’ Right now, we couldn’t be happier with 3-0 and then next goal is to be 4-0. It’s really as simple as that.”

(On what he has noticed from Goff that he has never noticed before because of the change in the offensive line)
“That’s where he’s continued to develop a great ownership of the entire gameplan. I kind of keep repeating about his ownership of the offense, but really just understanding the intricacies of the run game, the intricacies of the protections. In coordination with (C) Brian (Allen) who’s done an unbelievable job stepping right in and taking over for where (Former Rams C John Sullivan) ‘Sully’ left off of really having a command and those guys really working together and putting us in the right calls in the run game. In the protection game is where he’s really excelled with that.”

Rams QB Jared Goff
(On what’s happening early in the first two quarters of games this year)
“We just need to better offensively, I think that’s the bottom line. We’ve seen certain structures we’ve maybe weren’t expecting, but that’s no excuse. I think we need to come out and execute our offense. Look at a lot of plays from last game, they really weren’t doing anything to stop us. Honestly, it was a lot of ourselves doing the wrong stuff, me making wrong calls. Just a lot of self-inflicted stuff that can hurt you and we’ll do better with that.”

(On if there is anything the team can do to get RB Todd Gurley II going more)
“It’s just part of the way the games have been going. I don’t think there is any rhyme or reason to why it’s been that way. I think if you look at the first game, he ran for 100 yards or whatever it was, 98 yards, so we were happy there. In the last two games, we haven’t really started great offensively and have had to throw the ball a little bit in situations where we would be normally running the ball late in the second half. He’s looking great and I’m sure he’ll continue to progress.”

(On everyone being critical with the team having a 3-0 start and what it says about expectations of the team)
“I think it’s good. Like you’re saying, I know it’s coming from you guys, but for us internally, our standards are so high, especially offensively. Our defense has been playing well. Offensively, our standards are so high, we expect to be better and we need to be if we want to win games late in the year and continue to be competitive. We are 3-0, we’ve been able to be fortunate enough to do enough to win these past three games, but we know that in certain games down the road it won’t be enough. We need to elevate that standard even further and continue to be detailed and be sharp on offense.”

(On if he anticipated this year the team would have a target on their back after last year)
“There always is. We’ve been fortunate to have some success in the last few years, so whenever that happens there is going to be teams that try different things and that’s definitely the case. Again, it’s no excuse we need to be better. Regardless what they’ve showed us the last three weeks – particularly last week – I thought the first two weeks wasn’t terrible offensively, but particularly this past week, regardless of what they showed us, if we executed it, wouldn’t have mattered. We just didn’t and need to be better. We were lucky to get away with a win and we are going to be happy about it, but we will get better from there.”

(On Gurley being on the field for 15 percent fewer snaps and what kind of adjustment it is for him)
“Not much. I think I’m really comfortable with (Rcool smiley Malcolm (Brown) and Malcolm has been great. Todd is obviously the player he is for a reason and is a great player. I think getting Malcolm some of those reps have been great. I think down the road when Malcolm did get hurt last year, you saw how that did affect our team and did affect our offense. He’s an important part for us and has done a great job.”

(On if he says anything to Gurley to keep him going with him seeing less touches)
“No, Todd is very self-motivated and does a good job with that. Again, I’m not concerned with it, I think it’s just the way the games have been going. Of course, we want to get him involved. We want to get everyone involved more. We want to get touches to everybody, throw more completions, that will get more touches to everybody. I think that’s something that we are aware of, but I don’t think it’s going to change the approach any way. Obviously, we want to get Todd going, but I think he’s in a good place right now.”

(On Head Coach Sean McVay's high standards and saying that they need to be more efficient)
“I think being better on first and second down. That will keep us out of third-and-long. I think that’s probably what he’s referring to is those first- and second-down plays – running the ball efficiently, and throwing the ball efficiently, throwing completions, making the easy throws, making the easy catches. Getting in those third-and-manageables, getting those third-and-shorts that we tend to convert pretty often. If were able to do that, I expect to continue to see this.”

(On what he’s seen in WR Cooper Kupp over the last few games from a quarterback standpoint)
“He’s a great player. It tends to happen like that. If you have been around our team enough, guys go through waves. Right now (WR) Cooper’s (Kupp) in that wave where he’s playing pretty well. We were able to give him the ball the last two games. This game it could be (WR) Robert (Woods), it could be (WR) Josh (Reynolds), it could be (TE) Gerald (Everett), it could be (WR) Brandin (Cooks), and (TE) Tyler (Higbee). It could be any of those guys. The last two games it was Cooper, and he did a good job and has been playing well. We like to spread the ball around.”

(On playing against former teammate DT Ndamukong Suh on Sunday)
“He’s a great player. He’s a pro and he knows what he’s doing. I’m sure he’ll be wanting to get after us as I expect he would. He’s a friend of mine and I wish him the best and It will be fun to compete against him.”

(On this game being perceived externally as not as important in comparison to prepping for next week’s condensed schedule)
“No, it’s a very important game. Every week is important. Every game, every given Sunday, you look around the league and see teams that should win that don’t and teams that shouldn’t win that do. Regardless of who should or shouldn’t win this game we’re going to approach it just like any other game. I think that’s been our mentality for the last couple years and it’s served us well. This week will be no different.”

(On Coach McVay blaming himself for everything and if he thinks that’s fair)
“No, it never really is. Like I said, we need to execute better. Bottom line. We do appreciate when he does that it shows that accountability that he preaches. But, no it’s execution, detail, and just being on top of our stuff, and performing. Basic performance - just go out there throw and catch and make the plays we’re supposed to make and everything will fall into place.”

(On if that is consistent with what McVay tells the players in practice)
“Absolutely. He does a great job practicing what he preaches. Like I said, we do appreciate that of course him doing that for us. At the same time, we can do a lot more on our part and me too offensively to continue to win.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Pass Game Coordinator/Quarterbacks Shane Waldron, QB Jared Goff - Media Availability - September 25, 2019

Shaky400September 26, 2019 12:13AM