Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wildflecken’s excellent post game analysis Week 3...

September 23, 2019 04:07PM
Here’s Wildflecken...

1.) Wilks gave McVay all he could handle tonight. McVay adjusted in the second half and finally began running between the tackles. I expected to see this much earlier in this contest since the defensive alignment Wilks incorporated was the exact same defense used by Bill Belichick in last years Super Bowl.

I was also impressed with some new wrinkles we saw tonight designed specifically to generate some outside zone running against this alignment. The double reverse on the jet sweep, McVay rolling Goff on a designed run etc.. McVay is certainly determined in his approach to make the outside zone running approach a success even if it means running it into the strength of the opposing defensive alignment.

2.) Aaron Donald just may be the best defensive talent to EVER play this game. His play tonight was not only critical to the Rams victory but phenomenal. Donald was one of my posted keys to victory in week 3 and he certainly did not disappoint. The first game ball tonight goes to Donald, but there is one also reserved for the Rams ENTIRE defense.

There is also a game ball for Wade Phillips. Wade was spot on tonight with his defensive calls tonight. In fact I can only remember one play the entire game in which Kitchens got the best of Wade

3.) We saw the impact Cooper Kupp had on this contest tonight against the same defensive philosophy that stymied the Rams in the Super Bowl. It does make one wonder what would the outcome of been if he had participated in last years Super Bowl. However I think I already know that answer.

Some may feel Kupp is the only offensive talent who deserves a game ball tonight however I am also giving one to Cooks. Kupp is an amazing route runner who certainly creates his own separation, however his task to do so tonight was aided by the double attention Cook seemed to draw all night long. Cook was very productive in this contest as well despite the extra attention.

4.) While Goff did have a better outing than the last time he faced this defensive alignment it is quite clear the learning curve is not yet complete. The largest issue was the untimeliness of the mistakes he did make tonight, all at critical junctures of the contest.

Does anyone know if McVay or Goff fielded post game comments about the timeout called on the sidelines on the play Goff audibled and hit Reynolds for a first down? It was one of Goff's better throws of the night. Despite the play not being recorded in the game log due to the timeout occurring before the snap this play was a very positive sign of Goff's growth in deciphering the opposing defense.

Despite the interceptions, Goff had a gutsy performance tonight. The Dawg Pound is one tough venue and the Browns defense is loaded with big hitters. How can one not be impressed with the plays when Jared used his legs tonight?

5.) The Rams are 3 and 0 and have not yet played their best football. The defense gelling much quicker than last season is a very, very good sign. I would like to see McVay begin leaning heavier on the running backs behind Gurley but outside of stating that I simply will not join those who are bashing a 3 and 0 start. I hope those that choose to do so are taking into account the differences in last seasons schedule and the one Rams are playing this season. Have the Rams yet played their best football, no. Are the Rams 3 and 0, hell yes they are.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Nice post on our O “situation” by FrantikRam...

Rams43642September 23, 2019 02:10PM

Here’s a beauty of a post by Jacobarch...

Rams43513September 23, 2019 02:20PM

Agree with most all of this

promomasterj257September 23, 2019 02:49PM

Re: Agree with most all of this +1

Rampage2K-251September 23, 2019 04:13PM

Hmmmmm

RFL220September 23, 2019 07:03PM

agree about Allen and Noteboom

LMU93199September 24, 2019 03:50AM

Wildflecken’s excellent post game analysis Week 3...

Rams43338September 23, 2019 04:07PM

Re: Wildflecken’s excellent post game analysis Week 3...

LMU93224September 24, 2019 03:53AM

I agree with almost everything but...

mexram321September 23, 2019 04:11PM

Re: Nice post on our O “situation” by FrantikRam...

chico n da rams277September 23, 2019 04:34PM

Agree lots of issues with offense

David Deacon198September 24, 2019 01:27AM