Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My Game Day

September 16, 2019 11:11AM
Just a few notes about my game day experience.

Was highly anticipating this game since the schedule came out. I am always nervous on game day, but I also knew that the Saints are not the same team when the opposing team can actually hear their play calls. Because it was early in the season, however, no one could be sure on either side what exactly they had in this year's model.

I heard on local radio that there was going to be a huge Saints' contingent at the game, and I have been to games where there was huge visitor turnout. Walking around the concourse, there were a fair amount of Saints' fans but inside the bowl they were very sparsely populated. The section of 100 or so that I was sitting in may have had six Saints fans, but the visitor's side was probably better represented. Early on, enough of them started their "Who Dat" chant loud enough to be heard, but after that they were not really heard from again (as opposed to the Viking fans who shouted "Skol" the entire game or the Packers fans who yelled "Go Pack Go" ad infinitum).

Watching the two teams warm up, you could see that the Saints were fired up. Jumping around, dancing, hitting shoulder pads, and extremely amped. On the opposite side, the Rams were methodical and business like. They ran their routs, did their stretching, etc. with a calmness that was very perceptible in its contrast. I wondered whether it mattered, but I took solace that McVay would want the Rams to be precise and "play with a calm mind," whereas Sean Payton would want the Saints players in a frenzy.

I was a little disappointed that the home opener was not sold out, but attendance was over 90% and the crowd was an active participant. They are definitely getting better. On the opening drive when Rams had the ball, at one point my brother and I reminded the crowd to keep the noise volume down, and later in the game I noticed others in our section doing the same thing. When the Saints had the ball, especially on third down, the crowd was exceptionally loud all game.

I wish there was a way to keep all of the penalties out of the game, for both teams. Every time there is a good play, you have to quickly scan the field for flags. The Woods TD should never have been called back - it happened in front of me and the defender turned his back into the block.

I thought Goff played very well, better than he was getting credit for. He had nine incompletions, and half of those were drops. The ball to Cooks traveled 65 yards in the air, and couldn't have been placed any better. Cooks also dropped a perfect pass in the first quarter that stalled a drive and would have put Goff over 300 yards. Gurley dropped one, Everett had one hit him in the back, and and there were only one or two passes that Goff would like back. He managed the pressure in the pocket very well today, with people near him or rushing by him. Of course, that also resulted in the fumble, but I would rather have Goff scanning the field and trying to give his guys time to get open than to run or throw it away at the first sign of pressure. Today Goff made very good strides from last week and I expect him to pick up next week where he left off today.

Our pass defense is stifling and is only going to get better. There was nowhere to go with the ball, and I doubt Brees would have had a lot of success today throwing the ball. Rapp has continued to be in the right spot, make tackles, and play solidly. Littleton is playing possessed, and its too bad about the dropped Int or he might start getting DPOY buzz. Kupp's catch and run seemed to take five minutes and had the crowd in delirium. After the Rams scored, the stadium started to empty out with about 8 minutes left. I don't blame people given the huge traffic nonsense around the coliseum, but I would never leave a game until I can see the coaches shake hands after. McVay's and Payton's greeting seemed very cordial.

I love leaving the game and seeing both the happy Rams fans and the dejected Saints fans. We have all been on both sides of that. I would never taunt any fans because I know the pain, but I also knew these Saints fans were so sure they were going to come into the Rams' House and beat the Rams - their dismay was matched only by their shock. Certain games remaining on the schedule appear to have gotten easier since the schedule came out, and some maybe a bit harder, but I have a lot of confidence in this team after having watched them methodically pick apart the Saints offense and defense yesterday. If we keep our Oline healthy and playing well, there is no team the Rams can't beat this year.

Isiah 58
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

My Game Day

LBRamsFan545September 16, 2019 11:11AM

Love these Game Day reports...

JamesJM209September 16, 2019 11:19AM

Very good eye witness account....

roman18223September 16, 2019 11:26AM

Not trying to be picky here but...

JamesJM234September 16, 2019 11:31AM

Too much time on my hands research....

JamesJM217September 16, 2019 12:26PM