Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Backup QBs

September 16, 2019 08:05AM
I am thrilled with yesterday's effort, especially by our defense.

Brees got knocked out early. OK. Now, if your heart can take it, think back to all the times over the years in which the Rams faced a backup QB and made him look like Joe Montana or Steve Young-style running QBs. Seriously. We routinely whiffed on chances to beat backups again and again.

Look. Bridgewater is a former starting QB. Not a great one, but one with some chops.And a back-up resets the whole game plan. It can be a real challenge for a defense to adapt.

We did it. Well. We held the makeshift NO offense to 3 FGs. We didn't even let Kamara go off.

I am really heartened by our defense after 2 games. I hated those McCafferey gash plays last week, but otherwise we played well. This week, we played our game really effectively.

I think it's important to see that "our game" is not designed to smother offenses. It is, against pass and against run designed to contain, keep the gains small, and force an offense to move the chains again and again. It is also designed to apply enough pressure to force the issue against a secondary really good at making plays.

Yesterday, I really loved how fast we contained plays and made quick tackles. I love watching JJ, Weddle, Cory, and Rapp. These guys are THERE in the right place, making plays or making tackles.

Even without Brees, NO has a lot of offensive talent and one of the best OLs in the game. They might be expected to gash us again and again with Kamara. But it didn't happen.

We didn't just pull out a game with the opposing ace QB out. We dominated the game. Had we not repeatedly screwed up in the RZ during the 1st half, we would have blown their doors off.

I think it was a wonderful win.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Backup QBs

RFL370September 16, 2019 08:05AM

Re: Backup QBs

chico n da rams162September 16, 2019 08:08AM

Re: Backup QBs

CraigMatson183September 16, 2019 08:14AM

Haven't studied it yet.

RFL192September 16, 2019 08:27AM

The Rams former QB backups

NewMexicoRam175September 16, 2019 09:30AM

Foles killed us both ways.

RFL123September 16, 2019 09:31AM

Worst of all time: Rams losing to 49ers in 1997 to...

Deadhead Ram144September 16, 2019 10:03AM