Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay - Media Availability - September 13, 2019

September 13, 2019 01:36PM
TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay - Media Availability - September 13, 2019

(On if DL Michael Brockers, LB Clay Matthews and S Eric Weddle will play on Sunday)
“We’re hopeful about that. All those guys (DL Michael Brockers, LB Clay Matthews and S Eric Weddle) were participants today in practice, so that’s a good thing. The only one which was not injury related – we let (Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley II) have a rest day today. He’s feeling great and those guys made good progress throughout the course of the week and they were able to participate today, so they’ll be probable for the game.”

(On if he feels good about where the team is at this point of the week)
“Yeah, I feel good. It’s been a good week of preparation and like anything, it’s the cycle of the week. As you start to get closer and closer and get some finality to the gameplans and, most importantly, it’s really getting a feel for the players. The way that they’ve worked day in and day out – in the meetings, on the grass – has given us a good feeling, a good vibe and now we have to see it go translate to the game.”

(On if Weddle has been officially cleared to play on Sunday)
“Yeah. He’s been a full participant and seems pretty sharp to me.”

(On how CB Marcus Peters has performed this season)
“He (CB Marcus Peters) has done really well. I thought he played a solid game the other day (against Carolina). The one thing – I know he’d be the first to tell you – is we can’t lose our poise when we get the turnover and get that penalty that hurts the team. But, took full accountability for that and I trust that will be something that we learn from. He’s a great competitor. I think a lot was made – just kind of some fun banter that goes on a lot of the times behind the scenes when you know and have a mutual respect. He respects the Saints and their players and looking forward to a great game on Sunday.”

(On how much he has seen S John Johnson III grow over the last few years)
“It’s been impressive. Really, when you look at from his (S John Johnson III) rookie year, really his first action stepping in, in Week 4 makes a big tackle in the two-minute situation. Makes a pick in his first start against Seattle in Week 5 and then he’s just gotten better and better. He was one of our most productive players last year. He’s a great wrap tackler, he’s got a great feel for space, good ball skills. He really has all the things that you’re looking for. I think if you were to describe he and Weddle, you’re going to talk about those guys very similarly in terms of what makes them really special safeties and versatile playmakers for us.”

(On Johnson’s ‘charismatic’ personality)
“Very charismatic, very intelligent and he has a great way about himself. I definitely would describe him that way.”

(On RB Darrell Henderson Jr. acclimating to the NFL and what he’s tried to instill in him)
“The biggest thing is just watching those guys in the room that he (RB Darrell Henderson Jr.) has to use as example of, ‘This is what it looks like to do right,’ with (Rcool smiley Todd Gurley (II), (Rcool smiley Malcolm Brown. Really, with him, he’s a young player that we have a lot of confidence in and looking forward to seeing a very bright future for Darrell. Right now he’s continuing to get more and more confidence, get more experience and as he does those things, you might see his opportunities grow."

(On him declaring DT Greg Gaines inactive on Sunday against the Panthers)
“It was more of a matchup thing than anything else. There will always be, when you are talking about just those couple spots, where you want to provide some depth. I think that’s something that you can expect to see possible change. Whether it be this week or in the upcoming weeks, because he’s got a lot better and I think he will find a way to get himself on the gameday active.”

(On how much leadership LB Clay Matthews provides the outside-linebacker crew)
“A lot. He’s done a great job. A lot of the same instances that you talk so highly of (S) Eric (Weddle), you feel the same way about (Lcool smiley Clay (Matthews). Naturally, kind of similar to a quarterback, Eric is in a position of leadership and communication because he has the mic, he’s echoing that. You’re kind of thrust into that leadership role. I think you’re talking about two really good leaders – a guy that’s got a lot of experience to draw on. Those are fun players for me to be around because I feel like I’m learning from them, kind of asking them about their experiences. When he’s right, he’s a good player. He’s fun to be around. I think he’s going to be a big benefit and he’s going to add a lot to our team this year.”

(On if there is anything particular that he has learned from Clay Matthews)
“I think it’s just kind of hearing about his different pass-rush plans, the versatility that he’s been able to provide for the Packers in his past – as far as playing inside linebacker, playing outside linebacker. It’s really more just kind of within the framework of this particular snap, what are some of the things that you’re looking at. Just kind of hearing that feedback are things that are always fun for me to hear from them.”

(On Gurley only receiving one pass target in the Carolina game and when managing his work load, is there is a difference between him the receiver and him the ball carrier)
“That’s a good question. I would just say, you want to get him involved in a variety of ways and it’s not exclusive to just running the football. He catches the check down on the second play of the game. Those are things that you do want to get him more involved in the pass game. He’s shown how productive he is, when you just look at when he’s got his opportunities. That’s something that I have to do a good job of giving him the opportunity to get more involved in different ways that’s not exclusive to running the football. I don’t necessarily know if it’s part of the workload, but it is part of being smart and getting him involved and getting him touches. Whether that be through throwing the football or running it.”

(On if there was a reason why he didn’t play Gurley more in the Carolina game)
“It was just kind of play selection. That’s where there is no one to blame but me, in terms of some of those plays, the opportunities were a little bit more limited just based on the approach that we took. Those are things that I’ve always got to look at.”

(On having WR Cooper Kupp in the regular season last year and not having him in the NFC Championship and what he feels like he provided when he was available)
“He’s a great player that does a variety of things for us, really on all-three downs. He made a big impact, that was actually his first game coming back after he had tweaked his knee in the Denver game. He makes a 41-yard touchdown catch on a third-and-one. Makes a big play on a sideline, out-breaking route. He makes a lot of contributions to our team with and without the football and really just the reliability. A guy that is just kind of always doing exactly what you want, provides a big benefit and I think he and (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) have a great rapport.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky272September 13, 2019 01:36PM