Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

here ya go

September 09, 2019 03:29AM
I think I’ve got three observations about the Jared Goff contract:

• I get the raised eyebrows over paying Goff $110 million guaranteed, but consider that just before Sean McVay got his contract extension with the Rams in late July, McVay told Rams brass: I just want to be sure we’re going to extend Goff too. I want him around as long as I’m around. McVay is sure he can win with Goff, and, as transcendent a coaching talent as McVay is, you’ve got to trust him.

• The cap has gone up an average of $10.8 million a year over the past seven seasons. It is $188.2 million this year. Even though the cap could fluctuate wildly with the next CBA being negotiated now, let’s just assume $10.8 million growth per year on the NFL cap. That would mean Goff’s cap numbers would take up these percentages of the Rams’ salary cap over the next six years, starting with 2019: 3.0 percent, 17.2 percent, 14.7 percent, 13.2 percent, 12.4 percent, 10.3 percent. The Rams usually don’t let star players play to the end of their contracts. Even if the last year ends up being rolled into a new deal, it’s a big plus if your quarterback, in his prime, is taking up 13.2 and 12.4 percent of the team’s cap, as Goff would at age 28 and 29.

• Please, please, please: Understand that the money quarterbacks make is monopoly money, and consider the percentage of the cap and not the raw dollars, because the percentage of the cap is all that truly matters.

~ max ~
“The consciousness of good intentions disdains ambiguity.” - Alexander Hamilton

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2019 03:29AM by max.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Peter King gives another perspective on the Goff contract

NewMexicoRam345September 09, 2019 03:13AM

here ya go

max116September 09, 2019 03:29AM