Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay - Media Availability - September 6, 2019

September 06, 2019 01:58PM
TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Media Availability – September 6, 2019

(On if QB Jared Goff has signed his contract)
“He did this morning.”

(On if it is good to have all of Goff’s paperwork done and everything in place)
“There’s a lot of stuff that goes on behind the scenes. There’s a lot of really important people that have to work out a lot of the nuances that don’t go unnoticed in our building. (Vice President, Football & Business Administration) Tony Pastoors has done a phenomenal job really throughout this whole process, working alongside (Chief Operating Officer) Kevin (Demoff), and those guys being able to take care of a lot of the things that are necessary for us to be able to have the players feeling good and get them taken care of the way they deserve to. It all goes back to (Owner/Chairman) Mr. (E. Stanley) Kroenke’s guidance and leadership and commitment to, really, allowing us to do those kinds of things and taking care of these players.”

(On if WR Cooper Kupp is 100 percent)
“He is. He’s feeling great. He looks outstanding. He’s looked really good throughout the Spring. I know he’s excited to get back out there and compete with his teammates, as really are a lot of our players. It’s great to have him back healthy and certainly looking forward to big things from him.”

(On if Kupp had a full training camp)
“He did. He had a full training camp. Really, the only thing that we held him back from, which was more of just precautionary, was when we went into our first competitive practice against the Chargers, which was five days into camp. We saw what that tempo was like and he immediately took place in the work that we had with them two days later. He hasn’t missed anything, he’s feeling really good. He looks healthy and I think he’s excited.”

(On if everyone is cleared for Week 1)
“Everyone’s good. We’re healthy, we’re ready to go for Week 1. We know it’s going to be a great challenge, but this was one of the goals. Now we’ve got to go get it done against a really tough opponent at their place.”

(On having a partnership and relationship with Goff and if there was a moment when he realized that Goff would be the guy that he could move forward with)
“There’s been a lot of moments that you can really reflect on, where it’s just been a continuing, evolving relationship. He’s continued really to demonstrate the confidence that we have in him. I mentioned this the other day, even when I got a chance to interview and spending some time with him before I even got this job. Just his demeanor, his mental makeup, watching some of the things he was able to do as a rookie. That’s when you felt like this guy’s got a chance. The way that he handled the rookie season and the way that he looked inward, took full accountability, was just all about, ‘How can I do a better job of making sure that I’m accountable and I’m the leader that I need to be for this team to accomplish some of the things that we expect to accomplish?’ That really resonated with me and I think it was authentic, it was genuine and that’s really who he is. I think he’s reflected that over the last couple of years and he just continues to get better and better. I think he’s continuing to grow up and that’s what you feel really good about from (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff).”

(On if it would be fair to say the way Goff leads is an extension of how McVay leads)
“I certainly hope that you’re a good influence, but I think that we positively influence and affect each other. I’ve heard this said before from my dad, ‘You become the company that you keep.’ We’ve got great people in this building, got great coaches, great players, and I’m hopeful that the environment is conducive for everybody to grow together because the way that we operate day in and day out.”

(On the team not playing in seven months)
“It’s been a long break and you can see it. Until you get out and play tackle football, there’s some things that are different, but we are excited about it. Hopefully, we will get into the flow of the game, really, on all three phases immediately and early on. We’re excited to make this trip and hopefully peak at the right time, 10 a.m. in our head, one o’clock on the East Coast.”

(On if it’s important to win the first game)
“I think it’s important to play well. Really, whatever happens, you’ve got to handle it and there’s still a lot of football to be played. We’ve done a lot of things that have led up to this moment. I think our guys feel confident. What’s most important, is that guys compete to the best of their ability. I think we can go into it with a quieted mind, but we respect our opponent and we’re expecting to play well.”

(On if he communicated with Packers Head Coach Matt LaFleur after the win last night)
“Oh Yeah. Congratulations, really excited for him. Back-and-fourth battle and that’s a really tough team. To go there, go to Soldier Field and be able to get that win. Happy for (Packers Head Coach) Matt (LaFluer) and those guys, it was exciting for him.”

(On his emotions approaching the first week 1 game)
“I think just excited. I think guys are excited. I think we are excited to see our 2019 team come together, see how we compete and see how we can put all three phases together. So, excited would be the best word. I think we are really just looking forward to Sunday and can’t wait to get going.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay - Media Availability - September 6, 2019

Shaky326September 06, 2019 01:58PM

Re: TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay - Media Availability - September 6, 2019

Classicalwit143September 07, 2019 01:45PM