Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Head Coach Sean McVay - Media Availability - August 11, 2019

August 12, 2019 12:42AM
TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Media Availability – August 11, 2019

(On his thoughts after reviewing Saturday’s game against the Oakland Raiders)
“It was really a lot of the same that we said yesterday. I think just overall, when you’re getting these units playing together, just the things that we can control, we expect to be sharper on -- improve the communication, some of the pre-snap issues whether it be offense or defense. I think there’s some great learning opportunities for us on special teams as well. Like we said, (S) Taylor Rapp I thought was a really bright spot. I thought (Dcool smiley Darious Williams showed up in a lot of ways as well. Those have been some guys that have continued to ascend. Really, Darious, going back to even last year with some of the looks on the scout team, you could really feel what a talented player he is. Now that he’s able to have some continuity in the system, really learn some of the intricacies of what (Cornerbacks) Coach (Aubrey) Pleasant and (Safeties) Coach (Ejiro) Evero are coaching in that room and being able to learn from the vets, I think his play and his confidence have really shown up. And then offensively, there’s a lot of things that we can clean up, but there were some spots where you see some positives. But we expect a lot better overall.”

(On if there is serious competition for cornerback depth on the roster)
“I think so. I think it’s a positive problem for us with the depth that we do have. That’s something that we’re going to continue to evaluate. (Ccool smiley David Long (Jr.) has done a lot of really good stuff as well. To see those guys make some plays, maximize their opportunities has been something that’s been really encouraging and I think it’s a credit to the coaches in that room and also the veteran leadership that we do have. A guy that’s really had a great camp as well is (Ccool smiley Marcus Peters, he’s been locked in, he’s been engaged. (Ccool smiley Troy Hill has been a really versatile player for us and I think (Ccool smiley Aqib Talib has been outstanding thus far. Those guys have really done a great job setting the tone for that room, and then I think these younger players are continuing to ascend and they’re going to force some difficult decisions here in a couple weeks, which is a good thing.”

(On the plan for playing OL Joe Noteboom and C Brian Allen moving forward in the preseason)
“We were confident about them getting enough work in with what they did (in joint practices) against the Raiders and we’re going to continue to monitor that. I feel like, probably, that’s the approach we’ll take with those guys -- as long as we continue to get a lot out of competing against one another now over the next couple of weeks, that’s probably the approach that we’ll take. But, if we feel like it’s necessary for them to get some of that preseason work before we really go into Carolina, that’s something that’s kind of an ongoing evaluation. But, given the week that those guys (Noteboom and Allen) had, we felt like that was going to be in the best interest of those two.”

(On what jumped out at him about Rapp’s play on Saturday)
“I just think the instincts and the awareness. You could just see how fast he’s playing, his ability to negotiate those traffic situations. I mean, there’s even a situation where a ball gets strung out on a wide-zone play towards our sideline and he gets a guy going low on him and he shows incredible balance to be able to stay up and kind of force the ball back. He’s really done a lot of nice things, but I just think you’re just seeing a guy play with urgency. His instincts are showing up, he’s playing faster, more decisive. When he does that – and then you feel he’s a bigger player than you realize. You put the pads on and when he arrives, he arrives with some power and guys go down immediately. That was one of the things that really stood out on his tape at UW (University of Washington) was what a great tackler he was. I think his ability to understand angles, be able to pick and choose his spots and be able to get guys to the ground is an elite trait that he has and you’re starting to see those things show up.”

(On P Brock Miller)
“He did a great job yesterday. Didn’t get him as many opportunities with the field goals or extra points as we would’ve liked, but I thought he hit the ball pretty well. Some of those punts sailed for a while and I was joking saying ‘(P) Johnny (Hekker) who?’ a couple times (laughs). It’s really cool just to see how encouraging Johnny is, what a great leader he is for our special teams unit. But, don’t want to have to use him that many times, don’t want to have to use Brock that many times on some of the punts, but I thought he hit the ball pretty well and did a great job for us.”

(On if any players will not make the upcoming trip to Hawaii)
“That’s something that we’re figuring out this week and I’ll have a little more clarity on that. There’s going to be some guys that we would leave back for sure just due to injury, but we’re continuing to evaluate that. Want to make sure we’re handling it in the right way with all parties that are involved. That’s something that I’ll have a little bit better of an answer for you on Tuesday.”

(On if he likes dealing with a disjointed training camp during preseason)
“Well, if there is one thing, I would say is. I think our guys do a great job of just seamlessly handling, some different circumstances and situations. If anything, last year is a great representation of that with all the different things that kind of just come up. Guys really just aren’t affected by, you know, whether its traveling or change of schedules, and that’s something that’s necessary to be able to handle in football, and I think our guys have done that. We’re always going to do what we think is in the best interest of our team, and try to make sure that we are putting them in situations to stay as fresh as possible, get the most out of it. But, we also know that sometimes it’s necessary. A lot of these things were designed because we wanted to go to Napa to get that work in. We wanted to be able to go to Costa Mesa and be able to have a camp away, and then you get an opportunity to do some different things with this Hawaii trip. So, we’re going to make the most of these opportunities, and I think our guys If anything, have handled it incredibly well. You Know, they don’t ever really complain about anything. They just kind of go about their business in a professional manner, and that’s what you love about these guys.”

(On If he’s happy with were both RB Todd Gurley II and DT Aaron Donald are at and how they are progressing)
“Really happy, yeah. It’s been good. I think (Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley II) is feeling really good. I think, again like anything else, whether it be (DT) Aaron (Donald) or Todd they can only speak for themselves. But just from watching them and watching the way that those guys feel right now physically, even just getting a good little practice out here today in a little less than a hour, but we got a lot of work in. You just see there’s some good juice. Guys have a nice bounce in their steps. I think Aaron’s had an outstanding camp. I think the plan that we set out for Todd, I think number one most importantly, he feels really good about it. He’s continuing to really show a lot of the things that make him such an elite player and I think he’s feeling really good. I think it’s been a smart plan that really with Todd, and with our training staff we’ve implemented, and we’re are going to continue to follow that.”

(On if Pass Game Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach Shane Waldron continue to call plays during the preseason or will he jump back from it)
“No, I think it’s good for those guys to be able to get that work in. In a lot of instances, we’re a little bit more vanilla on our approach, but it’s more about just the experience of calling some plays, changing some personnel grouping, operating within the shot clock when you’ve got .25 seconds to get it in before that thing cuts out. So, I thought he did a really nice job last night. I think, like anything else, I couldn’t be more fortunate to have had the experiences that I had in a similar setting, and I think it’s important to be able to do that for guys. It still is always a collaborative effort, but I thought (Pass Game Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach) Shane (Waldron) did a good job, and we are going to continue with that approach.”

(On RB Justin Davis and OLB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo)
“Yeah. So RB Justin Davis is dealing with a concussion. He got a concussion in one of the practices against the Raiders, so he’s in the protocol. And ‘Obo’ (OLB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo) has had some different things, it’s his hamstrings. So, he’s coming back from a soft tissue and we want to be smart about that. Hopefully we will get him back out here. He was out here doing some work with (Director of Rehabilitation/Assistant Athletic Trainer) Byron (Cunningham) and those guys. Hopefully we will see him sooner than later.”

(On if the approach with RB Darrell Henderson Jr. was to let him get his feet wet and what his role will look like moving forward)
“That was it. You want to give him some touches, you want to put him in some situations and see how he handles it. I thought there was some good and there were somethings that we have to improve on, and I think he’s a really conscientious player, doesn’t really get fazed by things. But there were some, just little subtle things about the game, Whether it’s when you’re picking up internal pressure, not lining up in a position where the ball ricochets off your leg, you know. Just being consistent when we are in the dot (formation), lining up right behind the center, so those are things. But when you do see the ball in his hands he’s physical. He gets downhill. It seemed like a plays blocked for about four or five (yards) and then it ends up being second-down and three. I thought he did some good things. We expect to continue to get him more touches as these preseason games go on and that’s going to be something that’s important to us to see his development. Hopefully you feel good about whatever his role that he carves out for himself is going into the season.

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPT: Head Coach Sean McVay - Media Availability - August 11, 2019

Shaky441August 12, 2019 12:42AM