Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPTS: McVay, Donald, Peters, Bortles - Scrimmage-8/8/19

August 08, 2019 02:31PM
TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, DT Aaron Donald, CB Marcus Peters, QB Blake Bortles - Rams-Raiders Scrimmage Media Availability - August 8, 2019

TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Rams-Raiders Scrimmage Media Availability – August 8, 2019

(On if he thinks fights aren’t the worst thing in the world)

“Yeah. I think you always want to be smart. You want guys to stand up for one another. I’m not exactly sure what happened, how some of those things kind of got started. What I loved was the fact that our guys were able to regather themselves, had our poise and composure about ourselves – in terms of being able to finish out practice. I thought to credit the both teams to be able to do that because you see when things get chippy early on, sometimes you end up having to cancel those practices. We definitely didn’t want to lose that practice opportunity and to the players’ credit, we didn’t.”

(On if he was already watching the defense when the fight happened or whether he ran over from the offensive field)

“I did run over, yeah. You kind of hear the skirmish and then you kind of come over and it was really already under control by the time I got over there. What was pretty cool was when you hear the way that the players amongst themselves were communicating and gathering themselves, we talk about that ownership all the time and I thought our leaders did a great job of getting everybody under control and we use that as a learning opportunity. I think we did.”

(On if he remained near the defense to ensure things didn’t escalate again)

“Not necessarily that. I like to be able to be involved with the defense a little bit and get over there with those guys as well. It was a little bit more of a controlled setting, those guys were doing a great job. There was a good energy over there. It’s fun to be able to hear those guys communicating and see them compete as well, so that was just really what went into that.”

(On if he is sensing the presence S Eric Weddle has on the defense)

“Absolutely. Anytime that you’ve got veteran players like that, that have played a lot of football, that have the versatility to play a bunch of different spots, it only adds value to our defense. We emphasize elite communication, especially on the defensive side. All 11 (players) being on the same page, all three levels being coordinated, and I think (S) Eric (Weddle) has done an outstanding job. He’s been the one doing the communicating. (Lcool smiley Clay (Matthews) has also done a great job with some of the things that the front entails with the communication. Those guys are really going to help us out and we’re expecting big things from them.”

(On if Weddle and Matthews have a specific way of communicating with teammates that makes them effective)

“I totally agree. I think, first of all, there’s an awareness. There’s an emotional intelligence that both those guys possess where it’s an ability to connect with your teammates. But, you just said it, in a non-overbearing way that becomes irritating. Neither one of those guys is like that at all. I just think there’s an urgency about the way they go about their business and that’s something that I think everybody appreciates and knows why they’re going to help us get better.”

(On if C Brian Allen and OL Joe Noteboom will play in Saturday’s preseason game against the Raiders)

“That’s something that we’ve talked about earlier in the week. I’m going to get with (Run Game Coordinator) Coach (Aaron) Kromer later today. We’re going to assess this tape, we’re going to see what kind of work they’ve gotten in. That’s something that we have not decided on. If they do, it’ll just be a couple series.”

(On if LB Micah Kiser and DT Sebastian Joseph-Day will play in Saturday’s preseason game against the Raiders)

“Those guys (Kiser and Joseph-Day) are going to play right now. They’ll play a couple series. (Lcool smiley Micah (Kiser) will play a quarter, we’ll get (Lcool smiley Bryce (Hager) in there as well. Those are the guys that really – you kind of just mentioned – those guys that we’re potentially projecting as starters that haven’t had the experience that a lot of our other players do have. Those guys are going to be conversations. The defensive players you mentioned, we expect those guys to play and then we’re going to talk about (OL) Joseph (Noteboom) and (C) Brian (Allen).”

(On if QB Blake Bortles will play in Saturday’s preseason game against the Raiders and what he hopes to see from Bortles)

“He is. He’s going to play a couple series. I think just good leadership, good command and being able to get in and out of the huddle and making the other 10 guys around you better. He’s done that. I think he’s had a really good camp. I think there’s some situations over these last couple days, not really a result of anything he could do differently. We kind of put him in – I kind of put him in some tough spots. He fought through some downs, but we’ve really been pleased with him. I think (Pass Game Coordinator) Shane (Waldron) mentioned it, he’s really been impressive when you look at a guy that’s had a lot of success as a starter in some different systems, how quickly he’s been able to come in here, digest the material, be able to own it and then be able to help get guys on the same page with some of the younger guys he’s playing with and some of those other huddles. That’s what we’re looking for from him.”

(On if preseason games are helpful for the coaches along with the players)

“It is. It’s really good for the new guys to kind of feel what the normal rhythm of a flow of a game is. And then, in a lot of instances, it gives you a chance – especially for some of our coaches on offense – a guy like Shane (Waldron) to call some plays and get some experience. I was so fortunate to have (Washington Redskins Head Coach) Jay Gruden give me those opportunities when I was in a similar role. I couldn’t be more thankful for him and what I learned in terms of empowering your assistants is one of the best things I would take away from Jay and I think these preseason games represent a great opportunity for players and coaches to both grow and for us to get a feel for kind of our rhythm during the game.”

(On what he’s seen change from the Oakland defense between last season and this season)

“A lot of new faces, a lot of speed, a lot of physicality. I think you’re seeing guys get more and more comfortable in (Defensive Coordinator) Coach (Paul) Guenther’s system. There are definitely some nice intricacies to it that make it really challenging to an offense. I think when you look at (DE Clelin) Ferrell, when you look at (S Johnathan) Abram, you feel those guys out there. Adding a (Lcool smiley Vontaze Burfict when you’re out here and you listen to his ability to communicate, it’s pretty impressive. They’ve definitely got some good depth up front, they’ve got some inside linebackers that can play and they’ve got some physical safeties and some corners that can run. I think you can expect them to be a really tough matchup for offenses this year.”

(On if he believes in the theory that teams who made it to the Super Bowl have a tough time the following season and if he’s talked about that with his team)

“I think what you talk about is you’re so fortunate to do some of the things we did last year, even though it didn’t end the way we wanted to. I know that our coaching staff, our players, couldn’t be more excited about getting back, getting going. I think you earn that confidence you have every single day. I’m not sure what that feels like, but I feel like we’ve got a confident team that’s excited about trying to peak when we play the Carolina Panthers Week 1.”

TRANSCRIPT: Rams DT Aaron Donald Rams-Raiders Scrimmage Media Availability – August 8, 2019

(On if he was surprised to practice two-consecutive days and how practice went)

“No (laughs). It went good, I feel like the defense came out a lot better than what we did yesterday. That’s what I was happy about. Everybody was flying around, making plays. We did better upfront as far as getting after the quarterback today. A big improvement from what we did yesterday. It felt good, man. It feels good to get two practices back-to-back in (the) pads. I’m getting myself together, getting us together as a team. It was a good day’s work.”

(On how OLB Dante Fowler Jr. is coming along and how Fowler’s presence helps his game)

“He’s helping my game a lot. If he makes plays, it gets opportunities for other guys. He’s doing great, making a lot of good plays – rushing the passer great, working his technique. I feel like everybody upfront is working their technique someway, somehow, trying to find ways to get after it. As long as we keep doing that, keep working together, getting a feel for how each other plays. Definitely adding (Lcool smiley Clay (Matthews) to the mix, it ain’t going to do nothing but help us.”

(On if he sensed frustration from the Raiders offense that led to it getting chippy on the field)

“It’s football. It’s just practice, it’s just how the emotions (are) some days. A little bit of pushing and shoving ain’t never hurt nobody. We’re just getting after it.”

(On being in the middle of a little dust up)

“I’m just protecting my guys, that’s all. Just got to do what I’ve got to do to help my guys and then we show up at practice.”

(On his thoughts when Head Coach Sean McVay comes from the offensive field during a dust up)

“Just making sure nothings gets out of hand. We were good. Like I said, it happens. It’s football, just practice – emotions are up and down. We’re fine.”

(On if it’s fair to still call training camp fun to him at this point of the preseason)

“I’m just working. I’m here, trying to find ways to get better with my guys and push the young guys and keep getting them guys better. We’re just working.”

(On if it feels different compared to previous preseasons working out in Pittsburgh and the potential for a fast start to the season since he has been at training camp)

“When I’m back in Pittsburgh, I’m not doing anything but conditioning and working technique. It’s different when you’re going live speed and actually playing football in pads. I like this better than just running. Just working and conditioning through running to the ball and at the same time, working my technique and finding ways to beat pass rush moves in different type of ways instead of doing the same thing all of the time. Just finding ways to get better, pretty much.”

(On if he feels the presence of veterans like S Eric Weddle and Matthews in practice)

“Yes. I love (those) guys. They’re doing great. Adding Clay to the mix ain’t going to do nothing but help us upfront, as far as getting after the quarterback and stopping the run. With (S Eric) Weddle back there, when it comes to football, that guy knows ball – he’s a genius. He’s making all of the right calls, doing all the right things. He will come up and hit you, too. I’ve been loving (these) guys and watching (these) guys play. Like I said, I remember being young watching (these) guys play. Having an opportunity to play with these guys and work with these guys and learn from them is definitely a plus.”

(On if it’s different having a safety rather than a linebacker calling the defense)

“It’s fine. At first it was a little different, but you know, it’s normal. It’s all right. Like I said, that guy knows football. He’s doing the right things, it’s not slowing him down or anything. He’s still coming up in the box and making plays and pulling out double teams for defensive linemen. He’s doing everything, he’s all over the place. Like I said, he’s definitely showing up.”

(On if its unusual seeing a safety at the line of scrimmage directing guys)

“No. As long as I get the call, we’re cool. We’re good.”

(On if Hard Knocks felt like an intrusion in 2016)

“No. After a while, you just get used to it. You just kind of block the cameras out after a while. At first, you’re in meetings and there’s cameras everywhere. After a while you just get in that camp mode, you forget all about the cameras and it’s just normal.”

(On if players watch the episodes of Hard Knocks together)

“I’m not sure. Probably some guys did, but I didn’t.”

TRANSCRIPT: Rams CB Marcus Peters – Rams-Raiders Scrimmage Media Availability – August 8, 2019

(On what his take is on joint practice and this being the fourth one in the last few days)

“It’s actually fun. It actually gets you in a competitive competition other than just playing against yourself. You get to get a new look from another team and just with our approach towards things it just helps a lot more. Getting some game time reps against some other 1s, and just get ready for Week 1 with us.”

(On if it is to be expected that things get a little more dicey on the second day)

“We kind of expected some of those things. We had a good day yesterday and with any team you expect a little bit more out of a group for the next day when we go against them. So, those things we kind of expected. But, I think, we handled it the right way overall. Collectively, we kind of stayed focused with our course. It’s just us coming in, getting the work and getting out of here safe, so we can get on to the preseason game and just move forward.”

(On what he sees every day from DT Aaron Donald)

“The same thing he’s been doing (laughs). He’s a monster, man. But, all the hard work that he does in the offseason it shows, so you know, you just commend him for all the hard work he does.”

(On if Head Coach Sean McVay calms the team down when he comes over during Rams-Raiders interactions)

“It’s just the head coach. He kind of felt the tension. We talked about it last night. We knew the standards of what we wanted to get out of today. We wanted to come get some good work against a good team. We wanted to come out here, execute and get some good film on tape. Go back and look at it and review the overall day, see how we did and then just try to move on. Kind of avoid all the extra pushing and all those extra things. I mean, its going to happen. You know, guys get chippy especially the front. Nobody wants to get held and those things because we’re not tackling. But other than that, I think we did a hell of a job of just holding it all in and just handling our business.”

(On how it’s been with S Eric Weddle and if the adjustment is easy or takes some getting used to)

“I mean, it’s just overall for the whole defense, not even myself. When you got somebody that’s coming in and he’s thinking like (Defensive Coordinator) Wade (Philips). He knows everything from the from the front to the back end and he’s that vocal. He’s telling everybody where to get lined up. It’s going to help you get more in tune and for you to start communicating a lot more and doing all those things. So, you know, once we are all communicating and all on the same page, we just play fast, man. The biggest thing for us, he’s just helping us all play fast, getting lined up, get our feet ready in the ground, and just go play football.”

(On how special it makes it on the back end having Weddle, Donald, LB Dante Fowler and LB Clay Matthews when it comes to turn overs)

“This defense can get some things good, overall. Just collectively we feed off each other. Our coverage is going to allow for some sacks. Their rush is going to allow for some tips and overthrows and those things like that. But, I think, overall with just everything together man, we’re getting better coming out here each and every day. We’re learning something. We know what are goals are for the start of the season and we are just trying to make sure we get everything clicking and moving fast.”

(On if there were kids from his former high school at practice yesterday)

“Yeah. It was more than just my high school. I would say out of the six ‘OAL’ Oakland Athletic League schools, we had probably about four here, we had Skyline High School, my high school is ‘Mac’ McClymonds High School, we had Oakland High, ‘Fremont’ John C. Fremont High School here yesterday, so you know, it’s something that we do, man. The Raiders invited the teams down here. They came, my pops and the rest of them came. We just enjoyed it, man. It was good to see them out here.”

(On if he got a chance to talk to this kids)

“Yeah, I walked up over there before practice and hollered at them afterwards and those things. It’s always fun for those kids to get an opportunity to come see some ball.”

(On what it’s like to be in a position to be a role model to the kids)

“I mean, I don’t really get looked at like that in my city. I walk around my city like normal people. I get on my two feet, get to it. I ride a bike and get to it, you know. They see me around Oakland doing normal things. So, it’s nothing that’s shocking for them just seeing me do what I do. I bust my (butt) at the high school while they do what they need to be doing in the school year, so they kind of know what I give.”

(On if he’s there working out)

“Yeah, they kind of know what they get from me. I’m by myself, I’m doing what I need to do and handling my business.”

(On what his attitude is like when a scuffle breaks out on the field)

“If it ain’t got nothing to do with me, I’m going to protect my teammates. First and foremost, we are going to protect our teammates. But it’s like I said, our whole thing was just to come out here and be smart. It’s not about me. It’s not about individuals who want to go and be doing those things. We are trying to get something done collectively as a team, so we can get better and move on.”

(On if he likes going back and forth with the Raiders fans)

“It’s fun, especially at home. It’s fun. Like I said, I’m in the city all the time, so when they see me walking the streets regularly, they still talk. It is what it is, you’ve got to expect that from the Raiders.”

(On if he likes traveling to different teams for training camp)

“It’s kind of getting us ready for our season. We’re going to be bouncing around all year. We’ve got to get ready. We’ve got to adjust on these quick weeks. Get out of here sometimes on Friday’s and those things like that. I think it just goes back to (Head Coach Sean) McVay and the whole staff just doing a hell of a job of just getting us prepared for the season.”

(On his assessment of Oakland’s offense and their development)

“It looked cool. They got to have their biggest pieces that they brought in this offseason (Oakland WR) ‘AB’ (Antonio Brown). But other than that, I thought they looked pretty good.”

(On if he missed not practicing against Raiders WR Antonio Brown)

“No, you don’t say anything like that. We want that work. It’s going to get you prepared for the season, so you want that work. Unfortunately, he had to go through what he’s going through with his feet and those things like that. But, we dealt with what we’ve had to deal with and we got some good work. We had (Oakland WR) Tyrell Williams out here, so you know he’s a great receiver. We just move forward. Get to play against (Oakland Qcool smiley Derek Carr and just move forward.”

TRANSCRIPT: Rams QB Blake Bortles – Rams-Raiders Scrimmage Media Availability – August 8, 2019

(On his thoughts going into Saturday’s preseason game)

“I look forward to it. It’s an opportunity for me to get a new resume on tape and for us, the guys to get an opportunity to play to go and kind of build that resume and get some good plays and some good work on tape and get a little bit of game-like atmosphere. These joint practices are as close as you can possibly get to that without actually playing in a game. To get some of that, it’s good for me and good for everybody and I’m excited about it.”

(On how he has handled the transition into this offense)

“It’s been good. It’s an unbelievable system. Obviously, with the things they’ve done in the past couple years offensively, the numbers that they’ve put up previously, it’s no mystery why I should get in and get involved and see the way things are coached in the schemes and how everything’s taught and the way it’s run and the accountability and ownership the guys takie in it. It’s pretty special, so to kind of jump into that and be the one behind everybody else running it, trying to pick it up. Everybody’s helped me, (Head Coach) Sean (McVay) has helped me, (Assistant Quarterbacks Coach) Zac (Robinson) has helped me, (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff), (Pass Game Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach) Shane (Waldron), they’ve all been great. We’re learning as quick as possible and getting up to speed and we’re just distributing the ball through us. Some of the really good playmakers should be out there.”

(On Goff benefitting from his veteran experience)

“We definitely have some good conversations about things. Just watching tape and seeing different looks. There’s certain things that at this point in Jared’s career, he’s seen as much. Not everything – you’ve ever seen it all, but he’s seen a lot of stuff. He’s played a lot of football, he’s seen a lot of looks. It’s good conversation, it’s good back and fourth banter on, ‘What do you think here? Have you seen it before? What did you do in the past?’ type stuff. It’s awesome to have that relationship for me I know (former Jacksonville Jaguars Qcool smiley Chad Henne was that guy for me. It’s kind of flipped the roles and reverse that a little bit and be that guy for Jared as much as possible. It’s been fun for me.

(On if anything about Head Coach Sean McVay has surprised him)

“Coming into it, obviously expectations were high with everything you hear and the type of guy he is, the type of coach he is and the way he coaches. To get around it and see it first-hand and in person, it’s impressive. It’s impressive everyday to be a part of the attention to detail, the focus, the passion he shows on a daily basis in all aspects of this football team. It’s cool and fun to be around.”

(On if he has sensed how the entire coaching staff listens to the players and if he feels comfortable voicing his opinion)

“Definitely. He (Coach McVay) does a good job of listening. I think something that Sean is incredible at is understanding that the players are the ones that have to go on the field and run it. When there’s code names, there’s different words to come up with, he gives guys kind courage to throw out their input and is okay with whatever the guys are comfortable with calling something, or running it like this, or throwing it like that or taking this drop. He’s super open to listening to that. It’s impressive to see his willingness to allow us, the players, to have input. It’s cool and you know for me, it’s kind of, you sit there and there’s questions brought up where it’s talked about and you kind of throw your two cents out there here and there.”

(On Assistant Quarterbacks Coach Zac Robinson)

“He’s been awesome. When I came on my visit, I was walking around and they were introducing Zac (Robinson) and me to everybody together since he had just gotten there. He’s been great. Having a guy in the room everyday that’s played the position, played at a high level, played in the NFL, it’s always good to have another guy in there that’s coaching you from the same perspective. He’s also seeing it from your eyes. So that’s awesome to have and he’s been incredible.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPTS: McVay, Donald, Peters, Bortles - Scrimmage-8/8/19

Shaky401August 08, 2019 02:31PM