Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Offseason Activity - Analyze this game

May 29, 2019 01:19PM
I'll go first.

This is going to be very short, since when I was watching last night I wasn't taking notes. But a few things I noticed.

Ebukam was around the action a lot and was a big part of winning this game. He made some good plays.

Jo Jo Natson was not a good returner in this game. Kept trying to make too much happen rather than taking what was available. I realize he got better later in the season but still I feel we could do better in the return game. He makes me nervous.

That being said, special teams essentially won this game for us. Steady play by Hekker made the Packers constantly have to navigate a long field after the O repeatedly failed to pick up a first down. And it was a perfect play by the punt team, pinning the packers at the 1 which led to a safety which led to our first TD and getting us out of a 10-0 hole and totally turned around the momentum of the first half.

Gurley was solid. Packers play good run D but Todd got what was there to be had.

Offensive line had protection problems all afternoon.

Gives me hope: Everett had a really good catch. He has flashed each of the last two seasons, and my bold prediction for this year is that Everett puts it all together mentally in his third year, which allows his excellent athleticism to shine through and his production as a receiver to really climb. In years past, it was a given that TE was a hard position to learn and that it took a few years for NFL TEs to develop. I believe this is still true, and just have a feeling that he is going to be a big positive season catching the ball this year, giving our opponents yet another weapon to fear.

Overall reaction: This win was a gift. I believe that there is a very good chance that this game cost Mike McCarthy his job. The Rams were really really struggling to stop the run, allowing Aaron Jones to run for an average of 7 yards per carry. The Rams defense was playing much better against the pass. But too often, McCarthy went away from the run too quickly. I think if he had stayed committed to the run, this would have been a 14 point win for the Packers. Hey, don't get me wrong, I'll take the win. But watching the game it seems like the Packers dominated, esp in the first half.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Offseason Activity - Analyze this game

PeoriaRa334May 29, 2019 12:49PM

PeoriaRa206May 29, 2019 01:19PM

Scottish Ram189May 30, 2019 11:31AM