Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I've always preferred playing it...completely.

May 27, 2019 11:03AM
I learned/played under mostly Coryell schemes of the 80s/90s and the only benefit, personally, of under center for the QB would be the timing and steps to help ensure the timing of the WR depth...that's the only benefit, IMO, to turning yer back to the defense on a dropback. imo
And even then, there are other ways to align the timing with yer WRs routes & depth. I just think it's a vestige from the pre-shotgun days of NFL football when the forward pass was a desperate affair!! lol

That said, under center PA passes were helpful in holding the pre-snap "look" of the defense just for a beat...but then the shifting to the post defense would appear in a flurry. That flurry is what a QB has to process & anticipate to read the post defense.

Again, speaking of my incredibly limited experience....Shotgun was always much more easier to "see" peripherally, the defense running to their spots for the defense that was called. Even a little hitch step or two...and you could sync up w/WR routes pretty good. I was a 6-4, 235lb big gun/immobile type pocket passer who was not nimble of foot...so shotgun WOULD feel better for my game.

Anyway, I like the shotgun concept and think it will be come the norm in just a few more years as most of college QBs offense run it and the NFL simply needs to adapt to use the talent it drafts sooner rather than later....just my 2 cents...

"L'audace, l'audace. Toujours l'audace!"
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Cards might use shotgun formation exclusively, or close to it...

Rams43164May 27, 2019 07:17AM

I've always preferred playing it...completely.

SunTzu_vs_Camus68May 27, 2019 11:03AM