Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blinkscout Rookie Class Analysis

May 24, 2019 11:18AM
Been following all of these guys for a long time that we drafted ...

I was following Dakota Allen before his arrest. Rapp and Gaines 2-3 years. Henderson 2. Evans and Edwards 2. Landis Durham I had for 3. Nick Scott I had for 3 but hadn't changed his positions properly so I got a little lost on feeling him out.

I am also really excited about being a team that drafts to replace in a year or so rather than for need. It helps us maximize potential.

Round 2, Pick 61: Taylor Rapp, S, Washington ... One of my favorite pure football players, and someone I pictured in horns going back a couple years. I'm guessing Snead did the same thing when Rapp ran a 4.7 that he did when Kupp ran a 4.65. Has things you can't teach or train. Nose for the ball. Being trained under Weddle should make him a really strong player when his time to start comes, and until thenI expect him in on big nickel/dime type packages. Short shuttle and 3 cone are more indicative of his game speed. And his instincts give him and extra step as it is.

Round 3, Pick 70: Darrell Henderson, RB, Memphis ... Explosive. Can catch and run routes. I wasn't eyeballing a RB this year until late in the process, but I have notes going back on this fella. Smaller school RBs tend to play more and get lots of carries early when they're talented. I would probably compare him more to a runner like Deangelo Williams from years back than anyone else. Biggest benefit to having him alongside Gurley is that they do not move alike at all. So picking up body cues on one runner then another will be difficult.

Round 3, Pick 79: David Long, CB, Michigan ... I started watching him late in the year and honestly didn't know enough about him until late in the process, because he was almost never on screen. No one threw at him. Every once in a while I'll miss a guy for this reason. He turned my head at the Combine and I think he is likely the steal of this draft. It's hard to figure how good he will be, but given his statistical insanity (More Plays on ball than receptions allowed), facing Woods/Kupp/Cooks, and learning under Peters/Talib .. he may not have a ceiling.

Round 3, Pick 97: Bobby Evans, OT, Oklahoma ... Aggressive, fast moving, easy next level target finding player. The extra thing that is known in the college world is that they had competition chemistry on that O line, and I expect that they will all make teams because of their group nasty streak. He wasn't as aggro as Powers or Samia, but the focused group mentality makes me like this pick.

Round 4, Pick 134: Greg Gaines, iDL, Washington ... I think this was the pick I was closest to guessing. I have been watching him a couple years (first seeing him flash while focusing on Vita Vea) and have gotten to really appreciate his game, which I think takes a while to fully understand. As a "blink" guy I took his flashes at first as hustle pressure ... then I realized after a year that it was a mentality ... methodical attacking and unnerving the opponent. I get the sense that each time he plays you, he is more likely to know what bothers or exhausts you. I said in another post that he does his best work in the 1st and 4th quarters ... when his tenacity catches you off guard and when his tenacity has worn you down and his superior conditioning puts you in bad positions. I think he's going to be a plus+ pro. Likely never an all pro, but someone whose presence

Round 5, Pick 169: David Edwards, OT, Wisconsin ... This pick kinda surprised me. But then I realized that they simply drafted two guys capable of replacing Saffold. Less lateral agility than Evans from my perspective, but better flat out PUSH. I know some had him as a 2nd rounder, so getting him this deep in the draft is just great value. Worst case scenario you have two really good players fighting for one spot. You'll never find ,e throwing up a question mark on a Wisconsin linemen (or Iowa). IM sure at the time I had a favorite I wanted ... Tommy Sweeney or Dax Raymond ... but getting sure about our players on the line is something I can get behind every day of the week and 5 times on Sundays.

Round 7, Pick 243: Nicholas Scott, S, Penn State ... I had some experience with him because I see a decent amount of PSU games ... but he was moved all over so I didn't get a feel for his coverage skills. But ... if you figure he's a great athlete and special teams demon that Fassel was geeked out over? Great pick.

Round 7, Pick 251: Dakota Allen, LB, Texas Tech ... I watched him in his youth and then lost track when he was arrested ... picked back up this year. I'm pulling for him. Mentally he's impressive coming back the way he did.

UDFA I consider noteworthy.

Kendall Blanton TE ... Okay ... I stunned he wasn't drafted. Slow 40? I don't care. I saw numerous mocks that had him going in the 1st and 2nd frame during the year. I think he's our Derek Carrier 3rd TE. And I would expect him to carve out a role for 3rd and 5 and below this year.

Keenan Brown TE ... I didn't get to watch film of him, just postseason stuff. Understudy to Everett?

Romelo Brooker TE ... He started coming on late ... so I got a few chances to watch him. Smooth, but can he translate that into a role? Uphill battle against the other TEs IMO.

Chandler Brewer OT ... Overlooking this kid would be a mistake. Probably more likely a practice squad kid ... but he moves really well, and sliding inside will work wonders for him.

Natrez Patrick LB ... Again with a high upside near zero risk player who could totally shock people during camp. Does he outplay Allen on special teams? He had some bone crushing hits for UGA over his career.

Boogie Roberts DT ... This fella was the one bright spot on SJSU, which is about my least favorite program over the past decade. Consistent push, quick twitch. If he wins early he can get serious penetration. Practice squad?

Landis Durham Edge ... How does this guy not get drafted? Tied for highest rated UDFA with Blanton for me. How did he not get a combine invite? I liked him better in a 2 point stance in 2016 and 2017 ... which is likely why we have him. Lawler and Young are on notice already. I would expect he pushes them off the roster. And he could threaten Obo for the 4th spot ...

Marquis Copeland DT ... Has been a mainstay of the Cinci defense ... plays angry and strong. Can he make a roster? I'd think so, but likely in case of injury and more probably a practice squad possibility.

Alex Bachmann WR ... workman type with good agility and route running ... just a good guy to have round out your roster. Kupp insurance too.

What I am looking for going into next year ...

TE, CB, Edge, WR, DT. Likely in that order.

Not having serious need positions is pretty epic.

This took me a while to complete ... Thoughts and questions welcome.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Blinkscout Rookie Class Analysis

alyoshamucci1010May 24, 2019 11:18AM

looking for next year

LMU93306May 24, 2019 11:31AM

Thanks Alyo!

hubestar270May 24, 2019 11:37AM

Fantastic post, Alyo.

Rams43278May 24, 2019 11:41AM

As always......GREAT JOB!!!!!............nm

idaram245May 24, 2019 01:20PM

Re: I so appreciate your time and talent!

Ramdom286May 24, 2019 06:45PM

Re: I so appreciate your time and talent!

alyoshamucci205May 25, 2019 07:40AM

Ditto

BC Ramsfan196May 26, 2019 11:58AM

Re: Blinkscout Rookie Class Analysis

merlin224May 24, 2019 08:27PM

Re: Blinkscout Rookie Class Analysis

Steve245May 24, 2019 09:55PM

Aggro

alyoshamucci247May 25, 2019 07:42AM

Re: Aggro

Steve205May 27, 2019 10:11PM

Great info, Otter....