Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Analysis of picks...

April 28, 2019 07:46AM
Before I start, a few thoughts overall.

1) I fully expect this class to see much more playing time in their first year vs. the 2018 class.
2) This draft class does not really impact the draft class from 2018 except for a couple positions.
3) Notice the focus on multi-year starters. I love that. Find guys who have done it for more than one season.
4) I cannot recall seeing more "vanilla" names on a draft class in recent times. All easy to pronounce and recall names...I still am figuring out OO!!!

Taylor Rapp S
Multi-year starter in college. A replacement for Joyner. Depth. Understanding that Weddle is 34 yrs. old. Nickle help. I fully expect this guy to find the field early in the season. A pick that helps fill a hole and sets up for 2020 and beyond. He may find himself in some situational roles that Mark Barron filled in passing situations.

Darrell Henderson RB
Multi-year starter in college. A need to find a "look alike" to spell Gurley. Explosive weapon especially on the edge. The backups we have aren't the solution. Need for variation in play calling...rarely used 2 backs on the field at the same time. (I liked this pick...how it plays out is TBD, but I like the philosophy behind it). This is a combination of a need and want pick in my opinion. The Rams moved up for a reason. He gives this team options they don't have now and fulfills a desire McVay expressed in terms of the desire for explosiveness.

David Long - CB
Multi-year starter in college. Seems to have the physicality that Philips likes...can you say press corner? Fills a big need in terms of depth at CB since Shields is aging and unsigned and the fact that we are much more likely than not to have both Peters and Talib in 2020. So, this pick sets up for 2020 as well. Like that he played under Harbaugh. If he produces, this is likely at 2020 starter.

Bobby Evans G/T
Multi-year starter in college. One word for me...flexibility. Add much needed depth. I can see this guy playing left or right, guard or tackle. Strong and long armed. Quality person. I could see him getting playing time at guard this season. Interesting pick in that he did play RT for the Sooners and we just signed Havenstein. Could be another consideration to replace Whitworth in 2020. Expect him to see playing time in 2019.

Greg Gaines DT
Multi-year starter in college. Stop the run! Should have a chance to start in 2019 due to the hole created by losing Suh. While he may not register sacks, his size (shorter) and strength should help with leverage to help push the pocket. Seems to be well respected by teammates and competitors.

David Edwards G/T
Multi-year starter in college. More depth along the line of scrimmage. Will likely be playing multiple positions. An OL from Wisconsin. Who would have imagined? Shorter arms make him more likely to excel at guard. Interesting, I read the following comment..."He was credited with "just" 33 3/8" arms at the Combine, but they look significantly longer on tape...". Credited with having good feet...a great fit for the zone blocking scheme.

Nick Scott S
One year starter in college. However, he was a RB but was moved to safety once Penn St knew what they had in Saquan Barkley. One word for Scott...Leader. Even though he was a one year starter and special teams phenom, he was voted C twice. No doubt here for special teams. Excellent football mind.

Dakota Allen
Multi-year starter in college. Like Scott, he is a two time captain and leader. All Academic Big 12. Excelled in special teams and will no doubt find a home with the Rams as a special teams player if he is to make the team.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Analysis of picks...

jemach1031April 28, 2019 07:46AM

Re: Analysis of picks...

CROMWELL21361April 28, 2019 07:49AM

azramfan365April 28, 2019 08:09AM

I too would like to see some 2 back sets

ferragamo79330April 28, 2019 08:13AM

Re: I too would like to see some 2 back sets

bigjimram21212April 29, 2019 01:51PM

Rams43302April 28, 2019 08:28AM

As you know, I'm not a fan of using high picks on OL...

jemach278April 28, 2019 11:25AM

bigjimram21215April 29, 2019 01:55PM

David Deacon261April 28, 2019 09:14AM

Love that refrain...

EternalHorns411April 28, 2019 09:26AM

JimYoungblood53292April 28, 2019 11:08AM

Re: Analysis of picks--based on FILM (not what others wrote)

Steve294April 28, 2019 09:59PM

Havenstein....worst human body in the NFL....not in a bad way tho

SunTzu_vs_Camus243April 29, 2019 03:23AM

LOL..agreed...

jemach243April 29, 2019 03:44AM

Re: Analysis of picks...Here's my take.

oldschoolramfan291April 29, 2019 08:35AM

Re: Analysis of picks...Here's my take: David Long

Steve394April 29, 2019 10:20AM