Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Why Rams WON'T/SHOULDN'T draft for need

April 20, 2019 09:03AM
I think the Rams are in position where they don't need reach in the draft for need. Now the will consider need but they will look at a group of players and their needs and make a choice by choosing the best value for one of their needs. Now if their turn comes and there is a player way better than anyone else on their draft board that is not a QB then they should take that player for look to trade down to where the value of the draft meets their needs. We have needs at OL, DL, Edge, CB, S and TE and with the exception of CB those are strong positions in this draft. It is possible a WR that is rated much higher than everyone else on their draft board could be available on 31 as no running backs are rated that high. That might be a bit of a conundrum especially if there weren't any good trade down offers.

In the later rounds you have to take positions where the draftee has a chance of making the team. Player A may be better than the next group of players but if they decide they are to stacked at the position player A plays then it would be a wasted pick. I believe in the very top of the draft they have players stack ranked based potential to fit into the Rams schemes and profile as a McVay type of player. I believe that value grades are given to players based on those profiles and that players are grouped based perceived potential value of the prospect. As time winds down for the Rams to pick I believe they are look at the number of players that in the value group and determining which on to take based on need. If there are 12 players of similar value when they pick I think they consider trading down if they believe the can get value and need filled at a lower draft position. If they there are 4 players left in a value group and the Rams are 10 picks away and believe all those players will be gone I think they try an trade up.

BPA works in the first round especially the top half of the first round but after a while players get grouped together based on potential so you need a methodology on how the choose a player from the group that will have the biggest impact for the team.

Anyway based on what I have read on Snead or heard on interviews I believe this is how their thought patterns works.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Why Rams WON'T/SHOULDN'T draft for need

spagsbacker263April 20, 2019 07:13AM

Re: McVay...."I want to draft EXPLOSIVE" players.....

oldschoolramfan164April 20, 2019 07:53AM

I like your thinking. Nm

NewMexicoRam122April 20, 2019 09:42AM

Re: Why Rams WON'T/SHOULDN'T draft for need

David Deacon147April 20, 2019 09:03AM