Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: PFF: Coverage Grade Correlates To Win Percentage More Than Pass Rush Grade

April 20, 2019 08:10AM
David Deacon
That is very interesting but how is the coverage metric determined? Is it coverage versus time which would balance in the pass rush as part of the metric? If coverage is just the completion percentage that tells me it is a combination of pass rush and coverage which makes a lot of sense as a correlation to winning percentage as it is a more complete measure of defensive performance. It is unlikely your defense will produce a low completion percentage without a good pass rush and without good coverage. Looking at pass rush only does not account for the performance of the rest of the defense.

What would be interesting is the correlate pass rush to coverage to see how teams with good coverage are depending the pass rush. A measure of the average time for ball release compared to the coverage percentage would help to understand that dynamic much better.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what your asking but there was an article here a week or so ago that talked about how the Pats are prioritizing coverage and DBs over past rushers.

I recall in that article it stated that they performed as one of the highest teams in coverage but towards the bottom in pass rush.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

PFF: Coverage Grade Correlates To Win Percentage More Than Pass Rush Grade

RamBill464April 19, 2019 07:39PM

David Deacon265April 20, 2019 04:05AM

dzrams140April 20, 2019 08:10AM

cool_hand_luke193April 21, 2019 10:09AM

Pass Rush consideration for Coverage Grade

cool_hand_luke90April 21, 2019 10:12AM

Re: Pass Rush consideration for Coverage Grade

David Deacon58April 21, 2019 03:47PM

Re: Pass Rush consideration for Coverage Grade

cool_hand_luke72April 21, 2019 05:48PM

Re: and then consider the newly reviewable PI rules

merlin110April 20, 2019 11:41PM