March 22, 2019 12:27AM
TRANSCRIPT: General Manager Les Snead, Head Coach Sean McVay and LB Clay Matthews – Introductory Press Conference – March 21, 2019

Rams General Manager Les Snead, Head Coach Sean McVay and LB Clay Matthews– Introductory Press Conference – March 21, 2019

(Opening remarks)

Snead: “I’ll open by welcoming (Lcool smiley Clay (Matthews) home. The ironic thing, if you’ve lived in Southern California for the last few months, Clay coming from Green Bay brought the sunshine with him as we woke up to a little bit rainy day. Not to be selfish, I know rain is good but Southern Cal, you get used to the sun. He brought the sun this morning. I think it’s also a good time to thank Stan Kroenke, our owner, in terms of having a vision to bring this franchise back to an iconic city, having the commitment to build an iconic stadium and all of those things – the sunshine, the iconic city, the stadium, it makes this a preferred destination. I also think (Head Coach) Sean (McVay) and his staff deserve a ton of credit as well, in terms of creating, designing, implementing, building, developing, executing an environment where we’re capable of winning and guys like Clay, (S) Eric Weddle, (T Andrew Whitworth) ‘Big Whit’ wanting to stay. Last year, (Ccool smiley Aqib Talib – guys that have proven to be really good players in this league want to come here and help us continue contending for championships.”

McVay: “Anytime we have one of these, you know it’s a good day for the Rams. To be able to get a player like Clay with the versatility that he provides for our defense, specific to being in base or some of our dime packages is huge. I think his production and what he’s put on film throughout the course of his career speaks for itself. I think when you guys hear us talk about the types of people and the production, it’s a great match. Similar to what we were saying about Eric, to be able to add another veteran presence – knows what it looks like, has been in an organization where they’ve consistently won doing things the right way, been a world champion. All of those things are great. To echo what (General Manager) Les (Snead) was saying, couldn’t be more appreciative of Mr. Kroenke’s commitment to really just giving us the opportunity to compete. We’ve got great players, we’ve got all of the resources necessary – when you do it with good people, that gives you everything you want with the purpose, the place and the people. That’s all you can ask for. This is about Clay today, really happy to have him here. He really made me wait for a couple of days longer than what we’re used to, I was getting impatient waiting on him (laughs). But it’s a great day for the Rams and glad to have Clay onboard.”

(On the free agency process and his visit with the Rams)

Matthews: "Obviously, it’s a new experience for me. I’ve been fortunate enough to be with the same organization for 10 years. This was definitely new. As soon as my chance to return to Green Bay was past me, then I knew I wanted to come to the Rams. I put it on my agent, I put it on these guys here to try and get something done. Fortunately, the feeling was mutual and they were very receptive to the idea. I talked with (Linebackers/Assistant Head Coach/Front Coordinator) Joe Barry, as well as Sean, seeing how I fit within the defense. It just seemed like a perfect fit. As we just alluded to with Weddle coming along and the success in which this team has had, especially as of late, it just seemed like a perfect fit.”

(On what it is about the Rams that made him know he wanted to be here)

Matthews: “First and foremost, you look at the success and the organization – the way it’s transcending, it’s truly remarkable. In such a short amount of time, especially coming to L.A., so from a football standpoint it makes perfect sense. For me personally, with where I’m at in my career, having grown up in the area, living all of 20 minutes away from here – it made sense. We’re building a house out here. I’ve got three kids now. I think my wife was more excited than I was to sign with the Rams.”

(On the feeling of being back in L.A. where he grew up and played in college and the Rams relocating to L.A. and the opportunity to play for his hometown team)

Matthews: “I’ve been getting a lot of texts from my old teammates now saying, ‘You called this.’ A lot of guys love to stay in the same organization for their entire career, it’s very hard to do, but a lot of guys like to end where they grew up or where they played college ball or high school, whatever it is. To have this opportunity now, it feels great. I’ve been coming back here every offseason for the past 10 years and consider Los Angeles home. To be back here now and to be able to play for the local football team and have family and friends and be able to start our family here and plant our roots here is something that’s pretty awesome.”

(On playing in the Coliseum last year)

Matthews: “Yeah, that was a great game too. One that we should have won.”

McVay: “But you didn’t.”

Matthews: “Yeah, but we didn’t.”

Snead: “It was awesome. He tried to score on that kickoff return, though. I like that bold, ballsy move.”

Matthews: “It would have made the top-10 highlights for sure, but it’s also top-10 lowlights. It was great to get back out there. Obviously, having played at the Coliseum last time in maybe 2008, to come back here and play in front of the home fans, see the professional organization that’s come out here now. It was pretty fun. I had a blast playing. It was a great game and look forward to getting back out to the Coliseum and then hopefully in the future, getting to that new stadium.”

(On if he trains out here currently and if there’s any concerns about distractions while playing back home)

Matthews: “I do train out here. I’ve been training out here every offseason. I actually remained in Green Bay this past offseason, we just celebrated the birth of our third child, so we hung back out there. It just made the most sense. I have been training with the same group of guys for 10 years. To answer your second question, as far as distractions, even going back to my SC days when we had a lot of success and I guess you could say, probably were the best ticket in town – I’m not a guy who you’ll see going out and partying it up or doing anything like that. I’m a pretty low-key guy. Married with three kids now, I don’t think I have much down time to get into any trouble. Distractions shouldn’t be an issue. I’m just looking forward to getting to work. Motivated more than ever. Ready to help this team.”

(On where Matthews will fit in and if he will play on the edge or middle)

McVay: “I think the first thing that we try to do as coaches – our systems are always adapted to our players’ strengths. When you have a player that has that versatile skillset, you can utilize him in a variety of ways. I think, obviously, what he does at an extremely high level is when he’s going forward and trying to affect and influence the quarterback, rushing the quarterback, setting the edge in the run game. I think you’ll see a lot of that. Then when you get in some of those known-passing situations, you can get creative with where you’ll move him around. Those are exciting things for us as coaches to think through. We’ve been spending a lot of time today thinking about how you want to utilize him. How you can get (DT) Aaron (Donald), (OLB Dante) Fowler (Jr.), and some of these guys in situations to take advantage of the matchups that you can create with players like that. It’s exciting and it’s something that’s going to be evolving as we continue to get more familiar with each other.”

Matthews: “Early in my career, I was predominately an edge rusher and have had success doing that. Then you saw, kind of in the middle of my career, switching to the inside because of necessity or whatever the reason was for. I thought I excelled at both positions. I thought when you allow me to play in space and you allow me to go play sideline-to-sideline and downhill, good things are going to happen. I expect it to be the same here. I expect my position to be fluid. I’ll have a variety of roles. I think the most important thing, and what Sean alluded to, is just pressing the quarterback, making him make bad decisions and keeping the heat and keeping the pressure on him.”

(On still having the ability to produce like he did early in his career)

Matthews: “Absolutely. I know I have the ability to produce like I’ve done before. Not to make excuses, but there was some change last year in the Packers organization and unfortunately, it didn’t work out for me. As far as moving forward, I know I’m a difference maker. I know I can change games and I look forward to doing that and proving that and showing to everybody here – you guys, the fans – that what you saw for these past 10 years is what you’ll get for the next two.”

(On not getting credited for a couple sacks in the 2018 season)

Matthews: “The league wasn’t very nice to meet early in the season, so let’s bump those numbers back up again. Cut me some slack. (laughs)”

(On the plan with RB Malcolm Brown after getting an offer sheet from the Lions)

Snead: “We’re still discussing that internally. We’re closing in on an internal deadline, I believe we have until Saturday to figure it out. But, our goal is to continue discussing and figure that out, probably by tomorrow.”

(On if he has had the opportunity to talk to Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips or any teammates yet)

Matthews: “I have not. There’s been a few people kind of in and around the building. But, I’m dealing with a lot more doctors than teammates right now, getting the okay. We made it official earlier, so everything’s good to go. But, no, I have not met with Wade yet. I’m looking forward to doing that. Obviously, being a big fan of his and what he’s been able to accomplish, not only as a head coach, but as a D-coordinator. You specially look at his time with (Broncos OLcool smiley Von Miller and (former OLcool smiley Demarcus (Ware) in Denver and what he was able to do with them. Demarcus being in a similar situation that I’m in currently today. I’m looking forward to it. I think he’s going to bring great things, obviously for the organization, but for me as well.”

(On Strength and Conditioning Coach Ted Rath’s situation and why the organization wasn’t more forthcoming when that situation started evolving)

McVay: “Well, really, when it was asked during Super Bowl week, he did have a medical procedure at that time that was preventing him from being there. That issue had taken place prior to that as well. That was something that occurred the week of the New Orleans game and we put him on leave right away when the charges were placed. That’s something that we’ve been monitoring ever since. There is some gray that exists. We’re looking for clarity from that situation. I think, as we continue to progress towards some of the dates that have been mentioned as far as April 19, I want to say, we’ll hopefully have more information. But, the biggest thing is making sure that we have all the facts necessary to make right decisions for this organization. Certainly, those are things that we take very seriously. We want to make sure that we have an understanding of exactly what took place, what went on. But, in the meantime, he is going to be away from us.”

(On if he remembers the Rams being here when he was a young kid)

Matthews: “I really don’t, to be honest with you. USC has always been the team that’s been in the Coliseum. But, no, I wasn’t a fan, at least, at the time.”

(On what teams he was a fan of as a kid)

Matthews: “Well, my Dad obviously played for the Cleveland Browns, Atlanta Falcons. Then, my uncle having played for the Houston Oilers and then the Tennessee Titans. I was fans of them when they played. Then became a Packers fan and now a Rams fan.”

(On clarifying what he meant when he said that teammates were saying they called this move)

Matthews: “There were jokes being made, obviously being from California – when the franchise re-located to California. Obviously, everybody gives you a hard time about wanting to be back home. When the news actually did break that I was going to go ahead and sign with the Rams, they were saying, you kind of called this as far as ending up back home.”

(On if former USC Head Coach and current Seahawks Head Coach Pete Carroll has called him to wish him luck)

Matthews: “He has not wished me good luck. (laughs) Is that taboo around here? We don’t speak his name like Voldemort or something?

Snead: “We respect him.”

(On what went in to the decision to sign QB Blake Bortles)

McVay: “I think when you look at the production over the course of his career, a guy that has played in some big-time games, has some athleticism and some different things that we like. There’s obviously a history and a rapport that he and (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) have. I think, to be able to get a player of his caliber to be able to come in and be willing to be a backup, be a mentor to Jared, when they have a preexisting relationship. And somebody that’s won a lot of football games. I mean, you’re talking about a year removed from a great game in the divisional round against Pittsburgh and right down to the wire in the AFC Championship against New England. Then, when you look back at what he did against Buffalo in the playoffs, moving the chains with his legs, doing different things. You can see he’s a great competitor. Love the way that his teammates have always been a fan of his. I think that says a lot about the player and the person. When you get a chance to meet him and spend some time with him, he’s kind of got that charisma and presence that you expect from a quarterback, where you can’t help but say, ‘I like this guy.’”

Snead: “The only thing I’ll add, and I think Sean kind of alluded to it, it was the experience factor. When you’re kind of in the phase that we are, we do want to continue winning and having a quarterback who’s been there, done that, definitely helps if you ever have to go to the bullpen.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPT: GM Snead, HC McVay and LB Matthews – 3/21/19

Shaky290March 22, 2019 12:27AM