Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Draft Philosophy Question

March 15, 2019 10:27AM
cool_hand_luke
When deciding which player to select and when in the draft has anyone considered applying a positional value to the selection criteria. Most teams without a starting caliber QB apply this naturally--the qb becomes the number one need. What about quantifying that positional value for every selection?

First we would determine the value of each position in regards to that position contributing to the team winning games. Perhaps it would look something like this:

QB: .30
RB: .05
WR: .10
TE: .05
OL: .10
DL: .05
EDGE LB: .1
Inside LB: .05
DB: .2

This number would correlate to that position's contribution to winning games. So, this rough set would tell us coverage players(dbs) are twice as important to winning than EDGE Lbs. We could than apply this against each individual prospects grade to get a 'contribution to win value'. Basically, we would weight the positions that are correlated higher with winning games.

For example, the Whiners this year. It would seem very likely they are set to pick Bosa given Murray is the top pick. However, if say Greedy Williams is rated lessor than Bosa--but CB is twice as important to winning--Greedy the CB should be the pick(trading down definitely best though). Best player available is smart but teams should adjust BPA for the contribution that position makes to winning.

Curious what everyone thinks. This theory has implications for not only whom to select but how many to select. Other than TJ, I am leaning towards an almost all DB draft--we may have to replace two corners and have a 35 year old Safety when these draft picks are in their second year. And in the playoffs coverage is so important.

Good post.

I posted something similar when all of the AD discussions on what he should be paid were going on.

I suspect that teams - especially the ones who use analytics - already do some form of this. One of the things you have to consider is that a positions importance to winning games will be scheme dependent.

For example in Wade’s scheme, he prioritizes coverage and pressure; he downplays running D and thus ILBs. So in his scheme an ILB might be worth .02 while an edge LB and DB are worth more than normal.

Here’s another consideration. Since all teams to varying degrees are building for the future not just the present year, there should be some factor for rareness/scarcity of player. For example, AD might be at a position that’s not considered so important (although his ability to bring pressure makes him an exception) but a DT of his caliber might only come around once every 40 years while a Greedy Williams type comes around every year. Or what happens if you have a RB who is so special they change the normal rules of engagement?

Also since we’re talking draft philosophy, when does strength of the draft factor in? What if your formula says you need an all DB draft in a draft class that is really weak at DB?

As pertains to the Rams this year, edge is just as big a need as CB. We may need to replace 2 next year at that position as well.

Anyway, just thinking out loud on the philosophy of it all.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Draft Philosophy Question

cool_hand_luke218March 15, 2019 09:45AM

dzrams130March 15, 2019 10:27AM

cool_hand_luke106March 15, 2019 10:42AM

I am trying to understand the logic of an all anything draft...

jemach89March 15, 2019 11:00AM

Re: I am trying to understand the logic of an all anything draft...

cool_hand_luke108March 15, 2019 11:24AM