Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: He subtly answered that with 9 key words...

March 01, 2019 08:14PM
ramBRO
dzrams
<snipped>

It seems to me he doesn't want to throw his players under the bus but those last 9 words highlighted above jump off the page.

Agreed. But there was another McVay comment that I felt highlighted this:

"But Chicago mixed that up and did some other things. (The Patriots) kind of exclusively stayed in that in those early down and distances, and unfortunately we didn't really ever make them pay.

This tells me that the offensive staff DID, in fact, anticipate certain Patriot defensive schemes. Schemes that the offense SHOULD have been able to take advantage of. But execution, be that of: A. Goff seeing "ghosts" (how many times did he keep rolling...and rolling...and rolling to the sideline unsure of whether to pass the ball or run); and/or, B.the O-line getting bulldozed, would not allow it.

He blames the coaches for not putting them in the position to do those things.

That sounds like they did not prep the team to do those things.

That's where it's a great opportunity for you, No. 1 as a coach, to look inwardly and say, ‘How can we use these as learning opportunities to make sure that if these things do come up in the future, we're putting our players in a position where they're better ready to execute on the fly and adjust.'

IMO you guys are highlighting the wrong part of that sentence.

And subtle or not it would be so lame for a coach to come out and say "the players did not execute."

Goff looked the way he did because receivers were not open.

You build in sight adjustments and the team is better prepared to take advantage. Sight adjustments work by responding to the defense post-snap. That counters disguised coverages.

I find it much more plausible that McVay would rightfully take the blame for not programming something in than the idea that he would publicly trash his quarterback, whether he did that in a subtle way or not. In fact "subtle" in this case would actually just be plain passive aggressive. Doesn't sound like McVay to me.

You teach players to respond to unexpected and disguised coverages through sight adjustments. But that has to be practiced at a high level to work.

My bet is that McVay just confessed that he needs to build in more in the way of sight adjustments and to coach it till it sticks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2019 08:17PM by zn.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Sean McVay gives great insight into how Patriots' defense won Super Bowl LIII

jemach504March 01, 2019 04:43AM

Thanks Jemach. Good Read!

Ram Fan Teacher152March 01, 2019 01:39PM

"...which is something that we expected...."

NewMexicoRam142March 01, 2019 04:23PM

dzrams178March 01, 2019 05:29PM

zn154March 01, 2019 06:22PM

ramBRO139March 01, 2019 07:19PM

zn88March 01, 2019 08:14PM

Re: agreed nm

Speed_Kills64March 02, 2019 02:45AM

Re: Sean McVay gives great insight into how Patriots' defense won Super Bowl LIII

David Deacon108March 02, 2019 03:16AM

Re: Sean McVay gives great insight into how Patriots' defense won Super Bowl LIII

CROMWELL2198March 02, 2019 05:21AM