Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

It's about sacrifice and perseverence

January 25, 2019 10:51AM
I've been seeing the 'D' word a lot the last few days: "destiny."

Look, this board isn't the place to discuss whether supernatural things are real or not and what form they might take. But I want to draw attention to something. The word or concept of "destiny" can distract from something important. It can maybe even be perceived as a little insulting (quite by accident, of course).

The fact is, the Rams are here for two huge reasons, and both of them are things that they all individually were dedicated to. I say, the Ram players deserve credit for this.

First is sacrifice. They've sacrificed their bodies to the tough physical work, not only in games, but also in training camp, the weight room, and weekly practice, to get here. They've sacrificed their minds to be focused and unpolluted with distractions--to study their opponents during the week, apply themselves mentally to knowing the playbook, and not letting gameday adversity get in their heads. They've sacrificed for each other, putting trust in one another, not getting worried about stats and selfish glory, stepping up to support each other when it is needed, and quickly embracing fresh faces who have become critical to the team's success.

Second is perseverance. They persevered through every opponent's grand slam swing and still won 13 games. They persevered through key injuries to defense and offense and still keep finding ways to win. They persevered through doubts by media and fans without letting it faze them. They persevered through reasons to be intimidated by the other team's impressive stats or its raucous fans and just got the job done. They persevered through 13-0 and 20-10 deficits on the road in a Conference Championship game and played like a veteran playoff team that's been squishing playoff opponents for years.

I'm so incredibly proud of these guys, to a man. Whatever gripes I may have had toward this player or that player, I want to say right now, they all have my respect. They all have my admiration. They all have my gratitude for an intensely enjoyable season.

I don't know what kind of team the Patriots have put together. Maybe they have all the above and more. But as for my Rams, win or lose on Feb 3rd, I will always remember how fun this year has been and I will always be thankful I got to see it. I will always be thankful to these men for their sacrifice and perseverance. Not because of destiny. But because from Goff to McQuaide, from McVay to the towel boy, they laid it all out there. Thank you, fellas.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

It's about sacrifice and perseverence

EternalHorns359January 25, 2019 10:51AM

Great post. nm.

Saguaro195January 25, 2019 05:30PM