Advanced

LA Times - The Sports Report: Rams are looking just super

January 21, 2019 06:56AM
By HOUSTON MITCHELL
JAN 21, 2019 | 5:00 AM

The Sports Report: Rams are looking just super

Let’s get to it.

Rams

Wow. What a great day of football. Two overtime conference championship games. Let’s start with the Rams-Saints.

When New Orleans took a 13-0 lead, I thought “Oh no, here we go again.” But the Rams did it. Gutsy play-calling (A fake punt?) and team effort. Rams win, 26-23, in overtime. But let’s talk about the elephant in the room: the bad call on the pass interference.

Yes, it was a bad call. It was obviously pass interference. I would be upset too if I was a Saints fan. But, the Saints still took the lead. All they had to do was stop the Rams. They didn’t. The fell for the fake punt. They had the ball first in overtime.There were multiple opportunities for the Saints to win the game. So while I understand the frustration, you can’t pin the entire blame on the bad call.

Who would have guessed 39 years ago, when the Rams were playing the Steelers in the Super Bowl, that it would take all this time for them to make it again, including a period where they skipped town and won a Super Bowl in another city.

And by the way, Greg Zuerlein, if you are reading this, let me just say that if I wasn’t already married…..

Patriots-Chiefs

And in the Super Bowl, the Rams get to play…. Tom Brady and the New England Patriots, who defeated the Kansas City Chiefs in overtime, 37-31. And this brings me to a problem with the NFL.

The most dynamic young quarterback in the league, Patrick Mahomes, didn’t even get off the bench in overtime. The Patriots won the toss, elected to receive and marched down field for the touchdown. Game over, Mahomes never touches the ball. Is that really the best way to decide who should win the game? It comes down, in effect, to calling the coin flip correctly. That needs to change.

So, it will be the veteran vs. the kid in the Super Bowl. Brady vs. Jared Goff.

How exciting is the game expected to be? The Westgate Superbook in Las Vegas established the Rams on one-point favorites. So much money came in on New England, that minutes later they were one-point favorites.

By the way, wouldn’t it be great to attend a game with Tony Romo? His voice is a little annoying on the CBS telecast, but he knows what’s going to happen before anyone else. I have got to go buy a lottery ticket with him.

When is the Super Bowl?

It will be on Sunday, Feb. 3 at 3:30 p.m. on CBS.

Who will win?

The last polls we did were successful, so let’s do it again. Who will win the Super Bowl? Click here to vote. We’ll announce the results on game day.

[www.latimes.com]

RFS69
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Can someone post the LA Times and Daily News articles--can't get them

Steve229January 21, 2019 06:15AM

Re: Links to 2018 Rams at Saints NFCC Battle Royale (Brees mess)

Steve180January 21, 2019 06:35AM

How do I download?

RamsFanSince69140January 21, 2019 08:14AM

LA Times - Rams beat Saints in overtime, will face Patriots in Super Bowl

RamsFanSince69152January 21, 2019 06:47AM

LA Times - Rams' Todd Gurley says he played 'sorry as hell' but everything super in the end

RamsFanSince69207January 21, 2019 06:50AM

LA Times - Super Bowl LIII: A first look at the Rams vs. Patriots

RamsFanSince69158January 21, 2019 06:52AM

LA Times - The Sports Report: Rams are looking just super

RamsFanSince69139January 21, 2019 06:56AM

Plaschke - Rams have L.A. back in Super Bowl after breathtaking win over Saints

RamsFanSince69166January 21, 2019 07:00AM

Farmer - Jared Goff and Rams end up making the biggest noise in New Orleans

RamsFanSince69163January 21, 2019 07:02AM