Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Lineman Michael Brockers

January 19, 2019 09:52AM
TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Lineman Michael Brockers, Quarterback Jared Goff, Safety John Johnson III and Guard Rodger Saffold III – Media Availability – January 18, 2019

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Media Availability – January 18, 2019

(On if there was a specific reason why the team elected to travel to New Orleans on Saturday and if the team would normally travel on a Friday)

"We would. Really, because kickoff is going to be at 12 o'clock on our time zone – like in our head – we didn't feel like we wanted to travel two days out. Wanted to try to stay here as long as possible. That was just something that we felt like was going to be best for our players for just the overall operation. Because of when the kickoff is, and really, it's two time zones as opposed to sometimes when you're traveling from West coast to East coast time. So, that was really kind of what went into the decision."

(On some of the keys that allow his team to play so well on the road)

"I think, really, our team has consistently played well, whether we're playing at home or whether we're playing on the road. I think it's a credit to just their ability to be able to lock in, focus on the task at hand. When you go into some of these environments where the crowds are great, they've got a huge home field advantage, I think that's kind of that 'us against everybody else' mentality. The guys kind of embrace that. Ultimately, it's about trying to win a football game whether we're at home or on the road. Certainly, you'd love to always be playing in the Coliseum if you could, but it's a great opportunity for us nonetheless."

(On how the week of preparation has gone)

"It's been exactly like a normal week. There's a couple more people here this week, got to do a couple more things with regards to the media. We try to keep the same rhythm and routine. It's a big game. We don't shy away from that, but I think it is important to be able to keep that regulated rhythm for our players and for us because you don't want to try to make anything up. You don't need to do anything different than what we've done, other than play at our highest level. It's a great opponent, but it's a great opportunity for us to go try to be our best on the road for a conference championship. It's exciting."

(On if he is feeling the love from L.A. and anything he wants to say to the fans of L.A.)

"They've been great all year. I think we've really felt the love from them all season. I think it's kind of been a buildup. Certainly, that Kansas City atmosphere was really special on Monday night when we were able to play here in spite of some of the things going on in the community, watching the players rally together. That was a special feeling. But, this city has really – in the last two years since I've been here – I felt extremely embraced by this city. We love it here. Want to continue to try to do a great job putting out a product that these fans want to come see and that it’s something that they can be proud of with the way that our team competes. Hopefully, we'll get a chance to get it done and keep playing."

(On if he has given much thought to what he will say to the team before Sunday's game and if it will be any different than any other week)

"Not really. You have things that you focus on in terms of the ‘what it takes for us to be able to go get it done’, but we stick consistent with our themes, some of those core values. But, our players, their leadership, is what's special about it. In terms of the motivational tactics, different things like that, the motivation is to be able to go win this game and then what the opportunity – what's next, if you're able to do that. But, these players have done a great job. We're just focused on what we can do to put our players in great positions. But in terms of kind of thinking about those things, a lot of times it ends up being just kind of organic, of if something comes up that you feel like is relevant to address or that will hopefully help us play better. But, these guys, they motivate themselves and they'll be ready to go."

(On if the injury report was clean following today's practice)

"Yeah, it's been great. Really, I think it's, again, a credit to (Senior Director of Sports Medicine and Performance) Reggie (Scott) and (Director of Strength Training and Performance) Ted (Rath) and their staffs and what a great job they've done, the players buying in. For us to be able to be this healthy this late in the season is something that is a huge advantage to us and something that we certainly don't take for granted."

(On how much of their ability to stay healthy can be contributed to mental toughness)

"In a lot of instances, I think it definitely is that. I also think it's a credit to having people that can help you kind of – help us set up a structure and a weekly rhythm that keeps our players as fresh as possible while still getting that physical work that we need to continue to get better. Then also, the players’ buy-in. There are certainly things, too, where you can't really avoid anything about a (WR) Cooper Kupp-type injury, with what happens to (Rcool smiley Malcolm Brown. So, there are some unfortunate instances that occur where you lose some really valuable players, but I think in terms of the soft tissue injuries, the things that kind of come up as a result of, 'Alright, what can we do from a preventative maintenance standpoint?' Our guys, our players, Reggie (Scott) and his staff and Ted (Rath) – they've done a phenomenal job and I think it's a huge credit to them."

(On the players being loose during practice and what it says about this group being able to keep that mindset going into such an intense game)

"Yeah, I think it's great. I think because that's really what this team's personality has been. I don't think we want to change at all. I think they do a great job of enjoying it, but also knowing, ‘When is it time to lock in and focus?’. You always want to be able to enjoy what you're doing. Not at the luxury of where it takes away from our focus and concentration. I think these guys have done a great job being able to kind of have that great balance that's true to this team's personality all year. It's really been a lot of the same and that's what you want to see from your guys."

(On if RBs Todd Gurley II and C.J. Anderson have some freedom to dictate when they come off the field when they're tired or if its run by himself and Running Backs Coach Skip Peete)

"If one of those guys needs a blow, absolutely, they'll say I need one. That's kind of the standard operating procedure, really, for how we just rotate in general offensively. So, if one of those guys needs a blow, absolutely. They have the luxury to be able to say, 'Okay, give me a breather' and then they'll go ahead and kind of spell each other naturally. But, there is something that we try to talk about going into it from a communication standpoint – here's how we anticipate it going. You don't ever want to catch anybody by surprise, but like you said, you've seen these guys do such a great job of supporting each other. This experience gives you even more of an appreciation for how special of a player and person (Rcool smiley Todd Gurley (II) is. Then, I also think he's such a smart player. He understands that he's helping us out. He's helping our team out. He's helping our offense. In a lot of ways, Todd is fresher where he's still getting a good amount of work. You know he's going to be a big focal point of what we're trying to get done, but (Rcool smiley C.J. (Anderson) can come in and play a nice role and I think that's kind of that perfect balance. But, they do have the ability to spell themselves, for sure."

(On if QB Jared Goff's completion percentage numbers not being as high is representative of the offense's aggressiveness and willingness to make difficult throws)

"Absolutely. Yeah, I think the completion percentage can get a little skewed because sometimes you can inflate those numbers by doing a lot of just completion, getting the ball out of your hand-type plays. In a lot of instances, he is making challenging throws where it's some of the down-the-field throws off the play-action game or where you're changing that launch point in some of your boots. So, I definitely don't think that – sometimes the lower completion percentage is really a result of the way he's delivering the ball. I think it is more of a product of some of the plays that we're calling, when the ball is being thrown and how they are a little bit more difficult. He's done a great job and we expect him to do the same this week."

Rams Defensive Lineman Michael Brockers – Media Availability – January 18, 2019

(On him saying it was a blessing in disguise last time they played the New Orleans Saints and if it's played out that way)

"I think, yeah. We learned a lot from that game, learned a lot about ourselves – learned what we could fix and what we could work on. So, like I said, it could definitely be a blessing in disguise, because we feel like we know these guys a little bit better now. It's hard to beat a team twice. So, we'll see what's happening when we get in the (Super) 'Dome'."

(On if it was nice to practice in perfect weather today)

"It's crazy how the football Gods work when it's time to get things going. So, yeah, it was a beautiful day today. We got outside, the sun is shining. So, it's a great day to play some football, for sure, especially this late in the season."

(On having great success against Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott and how different it will be covering Saints RB Mark Ingram II and RB Alvin Kamara as interior linemen)

"Like you said, they have two different backs that can have two different games. (Saints RB Mark) Ingram (II) is a downhill runner, he can get those hard yards. (Saints RB Alvin) Kamara is an outside guy, he's fast. He's hard to bring down himself. So, it's a different game. We knew (Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott) 'Zeke' was going to get the ball and we knew what type of runner he was. But, we have to prepare for two different running backs. (Saints Head Coach) Sean Payton is a master offensive mind. So, he'll find a way to get those guys the ball in the right situations."

(On being a veteran and being on the Rams since the start of his career in 2012 and how excited he feels about playing in the NFC Championship game)

"I don't know. Can you tell I'm excited? (laughs). I don't know, man. I'm trying not to be too excited about it, just because I know this is my opportunity, this is our opportunity. So, I don't want to – last year, the thing about this team was being too young in the playoffs. So, really trying to act like we've been here before and not get too high on winning or losing. We just focus on one game at a time, one play at a time."

(On what he needs to do differently in this matchup compared to the last time they faced the Saints in Week 9 to put pressure on Saints QB Drew Brees)

"I think that was the gameplan last time. I think we just didn't execute as well as we wanted to. It's the same gameplan. (Saints QB Drew) Brees doesn't do so well when he has people in front of his face. He's a shorter quarterback, so it's hard for him to see. So, if we could get the pressure inside and make him, like we said, uncomfortable, we feel like that's to our advantage. We didn't do that well last game, so we look forward to doing it this game."

Rams Quarterback Jared Goff – Media Availability – January 18, 2019

(On how he would characterize his week of preparation for the New Orleans Saints)

"It's been good. It's been sharp. We've been sharp. We've been really dialed-in, focused on all the little details and have done a good job all week."

(On some of the team's characteristics that has allowed them to be as successful as they are on the road)

"Yeah, I think we jell together well on the road and have that mindset of us against the world and all that. When it's loud, we love it and try to relish in it, try to enjoy it. It'll be no different this weekend."

(On if he's feeling more comfortable going to the Superdome and dealing with the noise knowing that he's already experienced it)

"Yeah, it'll be loud. It'll be something we have to deal with. Definitely something that is an advantage for them if used correctly. But, something that we've dealt with, we've won in before – we've won in that type of atmosphere. Something that we're ready to deal with accordingly and have prepped for all week."

(On if there is anything that he feels like he personally has to do differently than when they last played the Saints)

"No. I don't think so. I think just take care of the football. There was the one turnover I had that you'd like to take away. But, take care of the football, distribute the ball, be smart with it and win. That's what you want to do as a quarterback, is win."

(On how much easier it makes his life having RB Todd Gurley II and RB C.J. Anderson)

"It's good. It's been great. Just both of them being able to feed of each other and (Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley II) being the player he is and (Rcool smiley C.J. (Anderson) being such a good complement for him. Them each giving each other some time to rest, when the other is in, it's been huge. Just seeing, especially last game, seeing how fresh Todd can be when you get someone in there that can actually give him some rest and C.J. does a great job of that."

(On if practice was normal this week despite having the weather issues)

"Yeah, yeah it was just as normal as it has been. We didn't have any weather. It was great."

(On Head Coach Sean McVay defending his short slump and saying it was a matter of a couple throws going different ways and if he agrees)

"It was a bad game or two. I hate having to keep talking about it, but if you guys keep asking about it – you can call it three games if you want. If you're going to take three out of 16, I'm okay with that."

(On Saints QB Drew Brees being the NFL record holder in passing yards and possibly a future Hall of Fame quarterback and if he sees the NFC Championship as an opportunity to take the next step in his personal growth)

"Yeah, no doubt. He's a guy that's done it. He's been there. He's done it and does it the right way, seems like every year. He seems like he's only getting better. Have so much respect for him and everything he's brought to the game. Admire how long he's done it for and what a high level he's done it for and the way he leads and the way he goes about his business and the way he works. Everything he does is so admirable. Yeah, you'd love to win this game to try to jump into that type of category with winning a couple more. But, he's a great player and a guy I have a lot of respect for."

(On how much of an advantage it is to have the offensive line maintain their health all season and play every game)

"It's been great. Just having those guys healthy and having them available and jelling together. It seems like they're playing their best ball right now, which is what you want. They've been great. It's, again, like you've said, it's the same as last year, outside of (OL Austin) Blythe filling in for (Former Rams G) Jamon (Brown) and he's had a tremendous year. So, it's been good to see that."

Rams Safety John Johnson III – Media Availability – January 18, 2019

(On if it feels like it's a normal Friday of participation like they've had all year)

"Oh absolutely. We don't want to change anything that we do because of the magnitude of the game – keep the same preparation. Ramp things up just a little bit. I'm speaking on the defense, so, getting ready to go, good preparation, good week so far, so I think we'll be ready for Sunday."

(On in what ways have they ramped things up)

"Just a little bit more studying, a little bit more technique, things that we lacked upon the first time we played these guys. Just tighten things up."

(On their Week 9 game against the Saints being OLB Dante Fowler Jr.'s first game with the Rams and CB Aqib Talib being out and how much of a difference he thinks it make having Fowler up to speed and Talib being back)

"It's a huge difference. (OLcool smiley Dante's (Fowler Jr.) first game like you said, he didn't really know us. I think that was the biggest thing. He's a good player, he can fit into any system, so I think it was just him not being familiar with the guys around him. As you can see, it's evident that he's comfortable now and he's been playing his butt off. As far as (CB Aqib) Talib, I mean, he's our vet, that's a presence out there. He makes everyone comfortable. He gives us tips on – just in the Dallas game, he called something out and I couldn't believe it. I had to believe it. It went just exactly how he said it in the game. He knows everything, he's played in this league for a long time so it's great to have him with us."

(On if he was anticipating a play or a call that Dallas was going to make)

"Before they broke the huddle, he called out exactly what they were going to do and it happened exactly the way it did."

(On him wearing shorts in January)

"Man, it's a blessing to be here in Southern California. It's funny because during rookie minicamp when I came up here, I said something about the weather, like that was the biggest thing that stood out to me. It's a privilege, it's a blessing. Not a lot of teams can do it. I'm happy."

(On what play Talib predicted)

"It was a (Cowboys Qcool smiley Dak Prescott, he actually converted it. It was a fourth down play."

(On if it was when Dallas was fourth-and-one at the 42-yard line in the fourth quarter that Prescott converted for two yards)

"Right, he converted, right. But, we completely just went rouge of what the coverage was. It worked for us, but he kind of got around and got the first down."

(On what he's learned from plays Saints QB Drew Brees twice)

"Oh man. You just can't get frustrated with his completions. He's going to complete the ball, that's something you can't stop. He's going to complete the ball. He's somewhere, I think, around 70 percent of wherever it may be. But we just can't give up that explosive play, that's what brings team’s back. So just not get frustrated with the small completions and I think we'll be all right."

(On how he avoids the frustration)

"It's tough. It's tough. You never want to see a guy catch the ball. But knowing the caliber player that you're playing against, he's going to make those completions. I mean it's tough not to get frustrated, we just got to think about the end goal, winning the game and that'll help the frustration out."

(On the 72-yard touchdown by Saints WR Michael Thomas during their Week 9 matchup, Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips taking ownership for not giving CB Marcus Peters help on that play and what he's seen on tape for the safeties to provide help over the top when covering Thomas)

"Yeah I mean, it's not completely on (Defensive Coordinator) Coach Wade (Phillips). But he always says before the game the mistakes are his, just go out there and play. So of course, he's going to take the blame for it. But it's just a scheme thing. It's a gameplan thing. We can better prepare from that situation, we're going to learn from it and we'll be prepared this time for a situation like that."

Rams Guard Rodger Saffold III – Media Availability – January 18, 2019

(On this week’s preparation and team’s mood going into this game)

"I think we’re treating it the same. I think we treat every week the same. Just from a mental standpoint of being able to be focused, but not let how big and special the event is get us out of position of just being too emotional. We want to be level headed, we want to be the same guys that we are week-in and week-out so that we can perform efficiently.”

(On if there were moments in his career that he doubted he would ever be this close to a Super Bowl)

"There was a lot of frustration in the past. One thing I really did hang on to was hope. I always had a lot of confidence in my team, no matter what the team was. I tried to use that to the best of my ability to go out and perform as best as I could and just let the season play out for me the way that it has. The good thing about me is I like to bring a lot of positive energy to the O-line. You’re going to still see me with a smile on my face, no matter what the circumstance. That’s kind of how I’ve been treating it every season of my career.”

(On the loss of Saints DT Sheldon Rankins and what that means for their run defense)

"We have a lot of respect for (Saints DT) Sheldon Rankins. It is tough not seeing him in there because you want to continue to compete and perform with a team at its best, so we can see who’s going to be the better team that week. At the end of the day, we have to prepare for this game. Although Sheldon is a big part of that defense, there are a lot of other guys on that defense that we really need to look out for, we need to prepare for. If we’re going to be as efficient as I know we can be, we’re going to need to take advantage of that inside.”

(On the perspective of being the longest-tenured Rams player and how it feels being this close to the NFC Championship game)

"The one thing I keep saying is how surreal it is. Sometimes it’s hard to just take the gravity of the situation because, like I said, guys are the same week-in and week-out. Although there’s a lot of excitement, I think that the focus has more taken over. It’s one of those things, you’re going to have to really feel it at the beginning of the game. When the National Anthem is going, I think that’s when you really take in the gravity of the situation. Then, you have a little bit of a self-check so that you can get ready for the game.”

(On how noisy the Superdome is and how useful it is to have the continuity on the offensive line for dealing with the noise)

"I think that chemistry is a big part of the O-line. We’ve been doing that week-in and week-out. It’s been great to see guys step up in many different games, different weeks and now that we’re all jelling together, we’re firing on all five cylinders – because five linemen. I think that it’s just great that we’ve been together this whole time and it makes it easier to be able to play in the noise, when you know exactly what your guy does and how he thinks.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Lineman Michael Brockers

Shaky261January 19, 2019 09:52AM