Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Wide Receiver Brandin Cooks, Outside Linebacker Dante

January 16, 2019 04:06PM
TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Wide Receiver Brandin Cooks, Outside Linebacker Dante Fowler Jr., Quarterback Jared Goff, Cornerback Marcus Peters and Tackle Andrew Whitworth – Media Availability – January 16, 2019

Rams Wide Receiver Brandin Cooks – Media Availability – January 16, 2019

(On if there’s any words of wisdom he can pass onto the younger wide receivers from his experience playing in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome)

"I think the biggest thing I can say is that they have great fans, it gets loud in there, but at the end of the day noise is noise. Just focus on the little things and really just look at the quarterback and let everything else take care of itself."

(On if he likes the one-two punch pairing of running backs Todd Gurley II and C.J. Anderson or if he wants to see the ball thrown a little bit more)

"Oh no, I love what we are doing. Seeing (Rcool smiley C.J. (Anderson) and (Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley II) doing what they're doing. Anytime you can do that, add that element to your offense, I think special things happen. As long as we get the win, I couldn’t care less where the ball goes."

(On what are some similarities and differences he's seen between Week 9 and now with the Saints defense)

"I would have to say they were playing great then, they're playing great football now. They fly around in the back end. Their defensive ends and their D-line play at such a high level and their backers as well. So as far as the differences, I just think they continue to get better over the year as we have as well, so it'll be fun."

(On how he feels having played for the Saints and now going back to play on such a big stage)

"I've been back twice now. So, at the end of the day it happens to be just another game. I don't look at it or make it bigger than what it is. I think when you do that you start to lose focus. I learned my lesson the first time I went back there and a couple weeks ago as well. So just take it one snap at a time as you go out there and have fun."

(On if there's any common thread between Saints QB Drew Brees and Rams QB Jared Goff that he's seen)

"They're both great."

(On one being around longer than the other)

"They're both great."

(On what's the most excited he's seen Goff)

"That's a good question. You talk about a guy who stays even keel. He operates with such a quieted mind no matter what's going on. The ebbs and flows of the game, he seems to stay even keel and when you have that from your quarterback that's special. You love to see that in, I guess, a quote unquote younger guy, but he doesn't play like a younger guy that's for sure."

(On getting to play in the Super Bowl last year and if he anticipated getting a chance to be back so quick when he was traded and what it means to him to get that chance)

"I think it's one of those things that when I got here, I knew we had something special. But not get ahead of myself, take it one game at a time, just build throughout the weeks and if we have the opportunity, then we're blessed but not to think about it too much is what I should say."

(On what he thinks is Head Coach Sean McVay's best attribute as a playcaller)

"You talk about a guy who is so dynamic and what he brings to our offense as far as the way that he calls plays, the way that he sees things out there on the field. When you have a coach like that, he's just special. I can't put one thing to him."

(On the challenges of staying in routine this week and the challenge for the team to stay in routine as well)

"I think it's just one of those things that we talk about it all year. To trust one day at a time, to trust our process and I think we've done such a great job as a team all year, so there's nothing that needs to change coming up this weekend's NFC Championship game. If we really believed in what we've talked about all year then it should be too hard to stay on pace and to stay routine oriented ."

Rams Outside Linebacker Dante Fowler Jr. – Media Availability – January 16, 2019

(On putting all the different pieces to the Rams defense together)

"For us to really start getting on the same page, feeling each other out, knowing each other’s game and how we play off each other has been pretty good. Finally coming together towards the end of the season the last four or five games, we did really, really well, especially with (Ccool smiley Aqib (Talib) coming back. That was a really big difference with our defense just being more elite and taking it to that next level. Also, (Defensive Coordinator) Coach (Wade) Phillips going over the explosives and finding a way to cut those down and we did a really good job of that the last five games to finish the season. We’re just gaining a lot of confidence and we’re in the playoffs and a lot of guys have been in this situation, Aqib, (Ccool smiley Marcus (Peters), myself. That camaraderie that we have with each other, we spend a lot of off the field time with each other as well, buying in and getting to know each so I think that’s helped as well.”

(On how much of an impact DT Ndamukong Suh had against Dallas and how much does it feel like a different group when he plays that way)

"His presence was felt a lot that game. He was a man amongst boys that game. I had watched the film over and he was just dominate the whole game. I think that was the most dominant game he’s played and he’s had a lot of dominant games. He’s a big, key piece to the defense, especially in that front seven, being in those trenches. Being in the NFC and going up against a lot of high-powered offensive linemen, good offensive linemen and for him to be able to hold his own and hold it down in the middle for us and help out linebackers make a lot of plays, (Lcool smiley Cory (Littleton) and (Lcool smiley Mark (Barron) have been making a lot of plays and that’s because of Ndamukong. We need that piece and he’s just very valuable for us.”

(On what he’s telling the guys about playing on the championship stage)

"We have a lot of guys that have a lot of experience, so I honestly I think they know already. (WR) Brandin Cooks, me, there’s a lot of other guys that’s been in these situations. They’ve been in the playoffs last year and lost in the first round but you could just tell this is what this team has been fighting for since training camp started, to get into this situation. Now that we’re here, everybody is trying to take advantage of it. We’re working very hard in practice so we can be ready to execute on Sunday.”

(On how much more comfortable he feels since the first game against the Saints)

"That was my first game. I feel so much more comfortable just knowing the plays and being able to go out there and play fast and do what I have to do. That was a big game coming in. I think all the games have been really big since I came here, especially that game, it got me ready for this moment. There were a lot of key plays that could have changed the game around that game. I know that it’s going to be a very physical game going against a very great, smart quarterback that knows how to operate really well. I just got to my best to get to him and obstruct him and get him off his foot and make him throw some crazy balls because when he has the time, he’s very efficient.”

Rams Quarterback Jared Goff – Media Availability – January 16, 2019

(On what he remembers about his time with Saints QB Drew Brees at the Pro Bowl last year and how that made him better)

"You see just how professional he is and why he's been doing it at such a high level for so long. I think he's not necessarily your prototypical with size, speed, strength and all that, but what he does is his professionalism and the way he approaches the game. I have so much respect for him and was able to be around him, like you said, at that Pro Bowl and pick up a little bit from him."

(On if he found Brees willing to give him advice and help him out)

"Yeah, of course. I wasn't going to pry too deeply, but I'd ask him a few questions as far as his warm-up and things he does throughout the week. Little things here and there that he was helpful with."

(On what he learned from the Week 9 matchup against the Saints at the Superdome that he can carry over to this week)

"A bunch of stuff. We learned some good things – how to operate there and how to do some things in the noise. As far as scheme goes, we know some things about them as well and then they've changed since that game. So, we've been watching film and getting ready. Ready for a good one."

(On if New Orleans was a louder stadium to play in than Minnesota and the challenges of the Superdome)

"They're about the same. They're both extremely loud. Whenever you're in a place like that and it is loud, you obviously can't hear very well and have to use a lot of visual signals and a lot of visual communication and just be on the screws that much more because you can't really communicate at the line of scrimmage. You can't get things changed much at the line of scrimmage. So, in the huddle, just making sure everyone is on the screws and knows what they're doing."

(On if he agrees with Head Coach Sean McVay's comments that no moment is too big for him)

"Yeah, I feel the same. Just going to approach it like any other game. Obviously, there's a lot on the line going to the Super Bowl and everything like that, but got to approach it the same way. Got to treat every game the same way and throughout the week be the same guy and prepare the same way you have. I think I rely on a lot of the successes I've had and understand that I didn't do that on accident. It's part of my process and part of what I do routinely."

(On if there's a formula in working with former MLB relief pitcher and quarterback coach Tom House that helps him mentally in terms of preparation or game day routine)

"Yeah, there's some. There's a lot of physical stuff that puts me in a routine that I learned from them that I'm sure (Saints Qcool smiley Drew (Brees) learned some stuff a long time ago from them as well. A lot of stuff physically as far as the warm-up goes which can probably translate to the mental side of it, just getting me confident and prepared and ready."

(On if his two-footed jump is part of that routine)

"To get my legs loose, probably. A little stiff maybe, yeah."

(On how he feels about the passing game heading into this matchup with the Saints)

"I feel good. I feel really good. I think we've done – the last three or four weeks now of being able to put some points on the board and move the ball down the field. Then, our running game has come along, especially last week. We feel good. We feel good with where we're at. Feeling really comfortable."

(On what point in the season built the team's resilience)

"I think those weeks where we were evacuated and had to deal with a lot of the tragedy that was going on, not only with the fires, but with the shooting in Thousand Oaks. Trying to help the community at the same time, trying to figure out our situation personally, and then when we were evacuating and having to move around and then going to Colorado and culminating in that win on Monday night against Kansas City. Those two or three weeks right there were probably the glue that kind of brought us together, I guess."

(On how having RBs Todd Gurley II and C.J. Anderson has helped his composure and gameplan)

"Having them both is great. I think they feed off each other's energy. They feed off each other's game and they're good complements for both of each other. I think (Rcool smiley Todd's (Gurley II) obviously done his thing and has proven himself as, in my opinion, the best back in the league, but having (Rcool smiley C.J. (Anderson) as a complement and a good complement as a different type of runner and a guy who can give Todd a blow. Then, when Todd's in and C.J.'s out, C.J.'s getting the blow and then they can feed off each other in that way. It's good to see that and good to see Todd operating with some fresh legs too."

(On if he feels like he was struggling during the three-game stretch between Weeks 13-15 and what has been different recently)

"Every once in a while you have a bad game or two. I think that was the situation there. How many games have we played since then? Probably four, I believe. Arizona, San Francisco, I guess the (Philadelphia) Eagles. Arizona, San Francisco and Dallas. Yeah, feel good in those last four since those. There were various reasons why we weren't doing well offensively and why I wasn't my sharpest. I feel like we fixed those four weeks ago and I feel pretty good now."

(On what he feels like he learned getting a playoff win last week)

"They're always big games. They're always good teams and there's always big moments that require poise and being there for your teammates and making the play when it matters. I felt like on offense, defense and special teams, we just kept doing that over and over, making those plays when it mattered. The fourth down stop by the defense, various open-field tackles they made, some of the runs that we had on offense, some of the third-down conversions we had. We were good on third down. I think all that stuff is so important to sustaining drives and winning games, especially in the playoffs when you know the other team is likely to capitalize on whatever mistakes you will make."

(On if he has allowed himself to imagine what a victory would mean to reach the Super Bowl)

"Yeah, it'd be great. It's always something you dream about growing up is being able to play in the Super Bowl. Try not to think about it too much because you know you have to focus on this game and get this one won and then you can focus on that. Even playing in the NFC Championship is a dream come true. We're excited for it. It's an opportunity you work for and I think we see it as something that we've earned. We've been through a long season here and just like the Saints, we've earned this spot. We have a chance to go play for a world title."

(On if Gurley's willingness to embrace Anderson resonates in the locker room)

"Yeah, I think so. I think Todd's just a secure person in who he is and what he can do on the field and is still doing it. So, I don't think there's anything with Todd there. His ability to be a leader in this situation where C.J. is running well and is able to give him a breather at times and able to produce for us is huge. Just to see him handle that the right way – as I expected he would – has been great."

(On if the rain affects any of their preparation this week)

"Today, no. We did everything as usual today. It just drizzled a little bit, so we prepared as usual. I know it's supposed to rain tomorrow, so we may use it. I don't know."

(On Head Coach Sean McVay's best attribute as a play caller)

"Communication. I think communication and just sending the play in with confidence and having a good feel for everything. I think there's certain moments in games where being a good play caller, you can't teach it, but there's certain moments where you have to go for that dagger or you have to pull back a little bit. There's just different ebbs and flows in games. I think he's got a great feel for that."

(On if they will pipe crowd noise into the temporary practice tent)

"I would imagine. Yeah, I would imagine if we use it tomorrow we will do that, yeah. I would think so."

Rams Cornerback Marcus Peters – Media Availability – January 16, 2019

(On how he feels about the matchup and a chance for a rematch with the Saints)

"I’m excited. Last time we went out there we didn’t get the type of showing that we wanted to get. So I’m just excited to get out there and, shoot, we’re playing for the NFC Championship now.

(On where he stands about his comments following the previous game against the Saints)

"I see you all trying to make it something that it’s not. All respect to (Saints Head Coach) Sean Payton and what he does. Like you said, during the game things were happening, but I just love the fact that he’s a competitor. When I was coming out in the draft, he was the same way, fiery, energy when I was meeting with him and things like that. It wasn’t nothing to be disrespectful or anything like that. I was pissed off. I didn’t have the game that I wanted to have. Coming into this week, you got to be excited about these rematches, but we are going to give them all the respect because, shoot, they’ve got the No. 1 seed in the NFC for a reason. Like I said, it’s just competitive edge.”

(On what it means to have CB Aqib Talib playing against the Saints this time)

"We got somebody that we were missing that we didn’t have when we were playing them the first time. That’s the only thing that’s different.”

(On what he learned about guarding Saints WR Michael Thomas earlier this season)

"I think we all know they are going to feed him the ball. That’s no question that they’re hiding. I think, like you said, we get Aqib (Talib) back this time. I got an extra person our there with me.”

(On how the defense has improved throughout the season and what he attributes that to)

"I think we are preparing well, we are executing well, we have a great, team energy out there on the defensive side of the ball, because we are talking about defensive right now. We’re doing exactly what coach asked us to do. We’re attacking our game-plan and we’re executing our game-plan. If we do that then we put ourselves in a position, with the guys that we’ve got, to be able to go out there and be successful.

(On what made him so sure they would play the Saints again)

"I just, like I said, throughout all the other stuff that was behind it, me personally, I didn’t have an excellent game that game so you look forward to those rematches and stuff like that. But (expletive), I didn’t know it was going to turn out to be this. You all didn’t know it’d turn out like this, it just so happened. Like I said, you all have fun spinning the gumbo thing all week, too.”

(On if the banter makes it more fun)

"We have fun with these things internally. We are going to try to leave you all to be the media so you all are going to do what you all are going to do with it. You all do what you all are going to do with it. That’s cool. Like I said, I have the utmost respect for the Saints and their head coach and their organization, but things like that, I’m going to be ready to play just as much as they’re going to be ready to play. We’re trying to play a game. We’re not trying to talk about no gumbo. We’ll talk about all that stuff afterwards.”

(On if he is having fun with it)

"I am having fun with it. We’re talking about it right now and we’re laughing about it. I don’t think that is something that we need to be pushing towards that’s over the top of the NFC Championship. Let’s push that we have the No. 1 team in the NFC versus the No. 2 team in the NFC and we’re trying to see who we’re trying to send to the Super Bowl.

(On how he would evaluate his season personally)

"I think we ain’t done yet.

(On if his season is below his normal standards)

"I mean, that’s cool. Coming to this game, I come from a place where you’re going to have your ups and downs. As long as your (expletive) don’t stay on the ground, you pick yourself up, you look yourself in the mirror and you keep striving and you keep building to become the best player that you can be and become the best person that you can be, I think all the rest will take care of itself. My resume speaks for itself. Everybody has bad days. I mean, you come to work and you wake up some days and you don’t feel like going to work, right? That’s a bad day.”

(On the challenges of playing the Superdome)

"Just me personally, that was my first time I ever walked into the Superdome when we played them in the preseason. Just me, having a connection with who I am as a person, where I come from and things like that, I just felt the love and the culture from the city. You just look at the history behind everything, the disasters, the things that happened, all the love and support that you’ve got in that building, especially with (Hurricane) Katrina, I think about all that. You kind of feel that soul, and then you think about the whole tradition of just that down south mentality, just the loving and caring feeling that you get from being in New Orleans, it’s special. You see it in how they support their team. The ‘Who Dat’ nation is going to be there. We’re coming and we’re going to have a nice game and we’re going to see who wins.”

(On what Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips is able to do with Talib in the lineup and how it makes them different)

"You’ve got two dogs. At this time, he’s ain’t going to do anything different. He’s going to call his defense and he’s going to expect for his dogs to hold up outside. Like I said, we understand the challenge that we’ve got coming into it. We understand that they’re going to feed him the ball. We understand that we’ve got to keep (Saints RB Alvin) Kamara inside, no explosives and stop the run when they try to ground and pound with ‘22’ (Saints RB Mark Ingram II). All those other things, man, there’s going to be ups and downs in the game and we’ve just got to execute when we execute.

Rams Offensive Tackle Andrew Whitworth – Media Availability – January 16, 2019

(On what it means to him to be one game away from appearing in the Super Bowl)

"Well, I think throughout my career, I've had the opportunity to play in a lot of playoff games and be on a lot of good football teams. I've cherished every one of them. Haven't had the opportunity to win a playoff game, but to finally win one, was definitely something that I was really excited about. Obviously, emotional about it just because of the work it takes year-in and year-out to get there. Also, just all the people that have meant to me to win one for. I said it earlier this year, it meant a lot because I believed in the people in this locker room and I believe in, really, the direction of this football team. For it to be proven right, is something else. It just made me proud and emotional about just having that opportunity to move forward."

(On him winning a national title with LSU in the Superdome and any memories he has from that experience and what it means for him to go back to his home state for the NFC Championship)

"I actually, funny enough, I won three state championships there as well. So, I have a historic history there. I've had a lot of success in that building and that building really means a lot to me just because a lot of my athletic career has been played in that building. In high school, I had the opportunity to play in four state championships there and win three of them. To win a national championship there in college was amazing and just an electric atmosphere. LSU is so close – it was basically a home game for us in that national championship. But, those are fond memories of that stadium. I say it all the time, Superdome is probably, to me, the place that I'll always have the best emotional ties just because of my athletic career there. So, I'm excited for this opportunity because it's going to be a challenge, but man, that's why you play the game. What a cool place to have the opportunity to go try and win it."

(On how he prepares for the noise at the Superdome)

"I think you just continue to rep it as much as you can during the week. Also, we've had an extensive amount of experience with that. We've played in some tough places over the last two years, really. Playing in Minnesota – having the opportunity to play there. Playing in Seattle twice. Having the opportunity to go down to New Orleans this year. We've played in some of the louder stadiums in the league. So, we have some experience with that and I think that's something that's good for us because it creates the opportunity that we've been in those situations. We understand – we've played some really big road games. Just things that have happened that we've ended up with some really big wins in places that mean a lot. Last year and this year are no different. So, we look forward to that opportunity. I think that you've got to look forward to challenges. We know it's an advantage for them, but it gives us the opportunity to have just a little edge more of understanding, 'Hey, you know what? How big execution's going to be this week.'"

(On if he can relay to some of the younger teammates how important and special of an opportunity it is to play in the NFC Championship)

"Yeah, I think you have to continue that throughout the year. Really, to continue to be a presence where guys understand – it gives me a great opportunity playing 13 years in the league, to have a chance throughout the season, really, to talk to guys about, ‘Man, understand what it's like to start a season 4-0, 5-0, 6-0,’ as it went on. Really, to have those discussions throughout the year of how hard it is to be successful and don't take this for granted. It's something that's extremely hard. I've had the opportunity of starting seasons 8-0 twice and I've had the opportunity of also starting seasons 0-8. So, I know that you can never take any of these moments for granted. I think that's something that's not really a 'now' thing. It's something that throughout the year, who you are and how you lead, you continue to remind guys how precious time is and to never take moments in their life for granted."

(On how much credit he gives to Run Game Cooridnator Aaron Kromer for game-planning)

"Well, I think a lot of it's made of, really, just that with Dallas (Cowboys) last week. The truth is, that's every single week in the NFL – you're finding tells and things that make you feel confident that certain things are happening on the football field. As an offensive lineman and a quarterback, you better or we're going to get hit in the face a whole bunch. So, I think that's a big part of what we do all week – it's studying defenses, understanding what they like to do and what their habits are and those kinds of things. (Run Game Coordinator) Coach (Aaron) Kromer's definitely the center point of all that happening. I can't say enough about the job that Kromer's done. Really, just how amazing of a coach he's been all season long. It never ceases to really amaze me. Every single week, it's like something happens, whether it's a high or a low – how he handles it, how he, really, directs our group. I can't say enough about Aaron Kromer and the job he's done. He's a tremendous football coach and somebody in this league that I think deserves a ton of respect for the job he does."

(On helping the offense have 273 rushing yards against the Cowboys last week and if that means they peaked at the right time)

"Well, I think you really look at your season and you don't make excuses for things that have happened or really what's going on throughout the year. But, it's funny to sit here in the playoffs and felt like going into the Divisional Round that we had to convince people that we were good being 13-3 and starting a season the way did, it's wild. I mean, we lost two games and then all of a sudden, it's like the world fell down. It's one of those things that I think, really, we felt like throughout the year – if you really look at our team as a whole and our group – there's a lot of adversity we faced. Through things that have happened around us in our community, through things that happened in L.A., through places we had to travel to, go to, do to overcome, injuries – all those things – to guys that are instrumental in our leadership. So, we feel like we're battle-tested. Honestly, we feel like we've been through it. There's really not much adversity we haven't seen all year long, whether it's travel stuff or anything. So, I think we kind of feel like we were born for this moment and this opportunity. This season, we've done nothing but put our heads down and work and we got the opportunity that now, we're getting back to getting hot and feeling good about ourselves. Man, it's going to be two of the best teams in our conference. We're going to go at it and we'll see what happens."

(On if he agrees with Kromer saying they found the fountain of youth against the Cowboys last game and if he felt a lot fresher than he had in previous games)

"Yeah, I think throughout the year, obviously, you have different seasons where things – ail you or don’t. Every year, I can think of the different injuries I've had to overcome in certain seasons. Obviously this one, playing 11 games straight and not really having a bye week there in the middle – different things that you got. Whether it's different ankles or arms or whatever that bothers you, you kind of have a long stretch there where you're overcoming it. So, you really look at where we are in our season, right? We had a bye in Week 12 and then we got an opportunity to kind of come back from that long stretch and we're a little sluggish. Then we found our feet again and started feeling good and then we got to rest again all of the sudden. So, I think that, honestly for us – to me – I feel like it's the beginning of the season body-wise. I feel great. I think a lot of us feel that way. I think that – our staff, between (Senior Director, Sports Medicine and Performance) Reggie Scott and (Director of Strength Training and Performance) Ted Rath, have done an amazing job of preparing us and getting us to this opportunity. I think physically we feel awesome."

(On how this is a different team than the one that lost to the Saints in Week 9)

"I think you look at the season and, really, how it's gone. I think this team is a lot more confident than that one. I think this team has continued to progress throughout the progression of the season and say, 'Hey, you know what? I feel like right now, we're our best version of ourselves and what can we do to continue to grow and continue to do to get better?' I think that's the attitude this team has. It doesn't feel like, 'Oh man, we've got to go get lucky or we've got to have something go our way.' I think we feel like, 'Hey, how can we go out this week, play the best game we can possibly play and see where it all stacks up when it's over.' I think that's, really, the mentality we have this week is that – what is there to lose? We're going on the road. Every advantage there is, is in their favor. We'll just go down swinging."
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Wide Receiver Brandin Cooks, Outside Linebacker Dante

Shaky474January 16, 2019 04:06PM

Great stuff from Whit

RamsFanSince69218January 17, 2019 04:49AM

Re: McVay has this team peaking at the right time......

oldschoolramfan159January 17, 2019 07:40AM