Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A few off-the-wall ideas that McVay might want to consider...

December 18, 2018 07:11AM
Some are more off-the-wall than others, but still...

And I’m assuming that we can and will win home field in divisional round, btw. I mean, if we can’t beat the 49ers and Cards, what’s the point?

So, here goes...

Find a way to have Boom replace Blythe at RG and move Blythe over to C to give Sully a rest before the playoffs begin. Perhaps Boom can better dominate against DL than the technique oriented Blythe? I’ve seen too many snaps where Sully and/or Blythe have been walked back into Goff’s face.

OR simply have Allen replace Sully for significant rest. Sully is getting mauled lately and I suspect it’s largely because he’s tired and his age requires some rest to re-energize. So, either way let’s give him a rest.

Another alternative might be to simply rest Big Whit with significant snaps at LOT by Boom. I think Whit is another vet that would benefit from significant rest. Might pay big benefits in the playoffs.

I would like to see McVay utilizing more 2 TE sets. Opponents have been stifling our 3 WR sets because they don’t fear Reynolds enough. Losing Kupp has impacted our passing game after the first couple of weeks because opponents have adjusted.

I guess signing a street RB might be necessary. Brown is out and Davis probably is, too. Gurley needs rest and how can McVay put all of his eggs into the Kelly basket? I don’t like bringing in a newbie at this late date, but the alternatives are even less desirable.

Anything that McVay’s fertile mind can think up to restore Goff’s confidence and effectiveness would be highly desirable. Heck, what’s so bad about taking the short passes that D’s are conceding and controlling the ball while moving the chains?

About our D and Wade...

I think it’s time for Wade to have a closed door “come to Jesus” meeting with his D. They aren’t even close to playing to their talent level. Too much standing around, sloppy tackling, blown coverages, and most of all seeing Suh and Brockers letting AD do all the heavy lifting. Dead had an excellent post on this yesterday, but I’m suggesting a strategy to correct this D malaise, for lack of a better word. If the closed door meeting doesn’t work, then I advocate calling them out publicly by name. If THAT doesn’t work then sit their butt until they come around. And replace them next offseason. Yeah, this is drastic, but a few of these guys are killing us, anyway. So, what’s the net downside, really?

At one time I was certain that Peters would be extended. But now? I’m afraid that it’s less than 50-50. He’s not been close to elite on the field, heaven knows, and now he seems immature on the sidelines. So, I dunno. Might be best to plan for a future beyond ‘19 without Peters. Maybe even sooner.

Okay, I’m just gonna say it. Sit Barron immediately. Roll with Wade’s choice of Hager or Kiser, or rotate them by series, I don’t care. The sooner that Wade does this replacement, the better. Ideally, these 2 guys could benefit by playing against two weak teams before the playoffs begin. Honestly, if Wade is too stubborn to do this, I have to question his fitness to be DC next year. There, I said it.

Release JoJo this afternoon. Not just because of the fumble, but because he’s wasting a roster spot. And strongly “suggest” to Countess that it would be a good idea to take a knee and the ball on the 25 on KO’s.

Some of these might seem drastic, but they WOULD get some needed rest for Gurley, Whit, and Sully before the playoffs. And might shake up an underperforming D.

Any thoughts or something I missed?
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A few off-the-wall ideas that McVay might want to consider...

Rams43413December 18, 2018 07:11AM

I'd love to see McVay go off the wall on O

Ramgator206December 18, 2018 07:33AM

2019 OL

LMU93198December 18, 2018 10:21AM

wish they would have kept Jamon Brown

ferragamo79219December 18, 2018 10:22AM

Re: wish they would have kept Jamon Brown

Arkansas Ram179December 18, 2018 05:38PM

Re: 2019 OL

Payote75180December 18, 2018 07:27PM

2019 OL scenarios