Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPTS: Los Angeles Rams - Philadelphia Eagles Postgame Quotes - Sun., Dec. 16, 2018

December 17, 2018 12:17AM
Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Rams-Eagles Postgame – Dec. 16, 2018

(Opening remarks)

"Congratulations to (Eagles Head) Coach (Doug) Pederson and the (Philadelphia) Eagles. They did a great job finding a way to get the win today. We didn't do enough. What I love about our team is how resilient they were to continue to fight after we put ourselves in a hole from self-inflicted wounds. We've got to be able to figure this out and figure it out fast because these last couple weeks, we're doing things that are totally uncharacteristic of what good football teams do – what we've done through the first handful of games this season. But, the only thing we know how to do is go back to work, look at ourselves – everybody's got a hand in this and we've got to get it figured out fast."

(On why he thinks it's happening now that things that are uncharacteristic are happening to the Rams)

"I'm not really sure. That's something that we've got to get figured out. We've got to get it figured out in a hurry. It's guys that are making decisions that, typically, we haven't seen. It's guys that are making mistakes that we've typically haven't seen. But, however you cut it, we're all in this together. We've all got to do better and it starts with me. But, we've got to figure it out and that's – all they know how to do is go back to work, work as hard as we possibly can to figure out the solutions and get better for next week. But, this wasn't good enough. It's a tough pill to swallow."

(On if the bye week may have knocked the Rams off stride a bit)

"Well, it's hard to argue against it based on the way that we've played. Your tape is your resume. We haven't played as good as a team. There's certainly a lot of things that go into that. The biggest thing is, we've got to find a way to gather ourselves together, stay connected, stay together and get better next week and get ready for an Arizona (Cardinals) team that is in our division. They're a tough team and we've got to be ready to go."

(On if there is anything specifically that he's seen in regards to the team making uncharacteristic decisions against the Chicago Bears last week and the Eagles this week)

"I've got to go back and look at the tape before I really get into evaluating it, but you could just feel there's some things where we're taking negative plays on early downs as a result of not executing. When you put yourself behind the sticks, when we take some of the penalties that we're taking, it's tough to overcome those against a good defense, a good front like they have. Those are things that we just can't do and we've got to get it fixed. We've got to figure it out. Like I've said, I've got to do better, but I'm going to work as hard as I can to get this thing figured out and I know everybody in that locker room feels the same way."

(On if he felt like the Rams were responding to last week's loss leading up to the game this week)

"Yeah, yeah we felt like it. Really, obviously, not the start that we wanted offensively. Defense did a nice job early on and then the second drive, you end up taking it down for a touchdown. But, too many negative plays, too many things that we did to shoot ourselves in the foot. Credit them for making some of those plays, but we expect to be better and we've got to be better."

(On what happened to RB Todd Gurley II)

"He got banged up a little bit, but what a warrior he is. I love that guy. I love the way that he continued to fight through just the natural grinds of the game. His toughness was personified. The snaps we didn't have him, we missed him because we made some mistakes that forced us to come off the field and we didn't execute on some standard things that we should've."

(On what has been going on with QB Jared Goff in the last three games with turnovers and decision making)

"He did a good job continuing to compete. That's what you love about (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff). But, there's some things that we've all got to be better. He's got to make better decisions, especially when we end up falling out underneath the center on third-and-one. Sometimes the only play is to just eat it, take that sack and let's go ahead and punt it right there. But, you try to make plays. We learn from all of our mistakes and that's players, coaches alike. There's certainly some things that we can look at and we've got to be better – everybody."

(On how much Gurley being hobbled impacted their plan to run the ball more often)

"Yeah, a lot. It affected it. Also, some of our early down efficiency, when we did run it, affected it a lot. So, that was tough. To be able to get any sort of continuity going. Then, you put yourself behind the eight ball when you go down 30-13 and really, you kind of get yourself in a one-dimensional game. To our player's credit, this is what you love about them – they continue to battle, they continue to fight. Had a chance there at the end, but ultimately, we didn't make enough plays. It's nobody's fault but our own that we put ourselves in that hole from the start."

(On who he leans on to stay connected)

"You lean on each other – your coaches, your players. Everybody staying connected, making sure that they understand that, it's not about one man, it's about all of us staying together, looking at what we can do to be a part of the solution for the unit, for the team. That's exactly what we'll do. We've got a lot of resilient people in that locker room that I fully believe in – that believe in each other. Two games are not going to define our season as long as we don't allow it to. I believe that we won't, but we've got to find a way to get better in a hurry. It starts this week."

(On if he's worried at all about Gurley's knee lingering beyond this game)

"We'll get that thing checked out. He did a great job battling to finish the game and then we'll go from there."

(On if there is any concern about Goff)

"There's concern about just our overall operation, with regards to just the way that we played specific to the offense the last couple weeks. It starts with me – got to do a better job. We've all got to do better. The only thing I know how to do is go back to work, look inwardly and then let's make sure that we're coaching guys hard, they're receptive to it. But, we're all accountable for this and we're all responsible for the results we've got in the last couple weeks."

(On if the problems with protecting Goff the last couple of weeks are because of the negative plays early in the downs)

"You've got to go back and look at the tape. There's some different things that come up where – we always talk about the timing and the rhythm – getting the ball out in time. But then also, guys being able to hold up for the timing and rhythm of the play. But, until I go back and really look at the tape, it's hard to say right now."

Rams QB Jared Goff – Rams-Eagles Postgame – Dec. 16, 2018

(On what about the locker room suggests to him that the team is going to fight through their recent struggles and come out ahead)

"We have really good leadership. In a time like this, you need it – from players to coaches to strength staff to equipment staff to the training staff. There's good leadership and it allows us to get through stuff like this. This is the first time since (Head Coach) Sean (McVay) has been here that we've lost two in a row. So, we'll see how we respond – I have a pretty good feeling it'll be in a positive way."

(On what leaders do in this situation)

"Just stay the course. Just understand that there's some things that we need to do better, especially offensively, that we will. Just get them fixed and just stay the course."

(On if he feels a sense of urgency to figure out what's going on)

"Yeah. We've got two weeks until the playoffs, so we've got two weeks to get it figured out. Again, figure it out – what do we need to figure out? I don't think it's much. I think it's little things here and there. I need to do a better job. We need to do a better job all across the board. It's nothing that we haven't done – which is a good way to look at it – and it's stuff that's so fixable."

(On if anything has changed since the bye week)

"Teams are doing different things to us. Yeah, teams are trying out different things. We just need to find a way to respond."

(On what happened on the play where he fell down)

"Had my foot stepped on. Tried to make a play afterwards and unfortunately wasn't able to. It was a third down, down in the game and tried to make a play."

(On how he would critique his game and what he feels like he needs to figure out)

"I felt like in the second half I started to settle in and started to make some plays. We moved the ball pretty good there at the end, the fourth quarter. Just continue to take care of the ball. I need to do a better job of that, but at the same time, I feel like I've grown and learned and made strides in a positive direction regardless of what has happened. Need to be better in that regard."

(On if defenses are playing different fronts or coverages against them)

"A little bit of everything. It's a little bit of everything and it's nothing – I shouldn't say – it's nothing we haven't seen before, but it's just teams are mixing it up. Teams watch our tape just like we watch theirs and are doing a good job. At the same time, we're beating ourselves. They're doing a good job, but we can be better and if we are better we will have no problems."

(On if there's a sense that it's better to have these struggles happen now rather than three weeks down the road)

"No doubt. I think so. I think it's good to go through some adversity at some point. We were 11-1 prior to last week. The only adversity we faced was in New Orleans. So, kind of going through this now and we are in a position where we know we are in the playoffs, but at the same time, like Sean said, we have to be urgent about getting these things fixed and getting them fixed throughout the week. Like I said, it's nothing we haven't done though, so it should be very fixable."

(On if there is a takeaway from the way they were able to move the ball in the fourth quarter)

"Yeah, just being able to move the ball again and just feeling a rhythm. Our defense gave us a chance there at the end. We would've loved to finish there with a touchdown, go to overtime and see what happens and we might be talking about some different stuff right now. They played a great game and did some good things to stop us."

(On why he thinks they lost tonight)

"Offense didn't play well enough."

(On if he said something to WR JoJo Natson following the fumble)

"Yeah, just try to pick him up. By no means is that the reason why we lost. We would've loved to have the ball there, but we did have a chance there at the end to win in the same regard and didn't."

(On how much not having WR Cooper Kupp out there has affected the offense)

"(WR) Cooper (Kupp) is a great player and anytime you lose a great player, it's tough to replace – he's no different. But, at the same time, (WR) Josh (Reynolds) is a great player as well and has stepped in and has done a great job. I have full confidence in Josh as well as every other receiver."

Rams RB Todd Gurley II – Rams-Eagles Postgame – Dec. 16, 2018

(On how urgent it is for the team to figure out how to bounce back right now)

“Most definitely, we got two losses, so definitely got to tighten up - doing stuff that's not us, so we need to get back to ourselves. At the end of the day we still got that chance to play in the playoffs and we're 11-3, so just got to keep coming to work and stacking, it's not the end of the world."

(On if he has any idea of what's causing the team to play somewhat uncharacteristically)

“Nothing, it's just us doing stuff. Turning the ball over, mental mistakes and stuff like that. We know that's not us, we'll go watch the film. I'm not worried, I’m not worried – we got a great group of guys. I think we all know what we need to get better on and we can do that this week."

(On being announced as questionable to return with a knee injury and if he's okay)

“Yeah. I returned so, I was fine."

(On if part of the team's performance is due to the grind of being late in the season)

“I mean everybody's late season, you know, so that's really no excuse. You just got to go out there and win those games, but Philly is a great team for sure. They just were the better team today."

(On with clinching as early as they did is there a possibility that the team could be taking a mental step back subconsciously)

“I mean, I wouldn't say that. It's kind of easy to point that, say that, since we made the playoffs and haven't won since then. It's just us out there at the end of the day and we're not making the plays and making mistakes. Like I said, we just got to go back to work and just keep grinding. We’ve got two more weeks left, divisional games, so it will tell us a lot about ourselves how we finish the season. Like I said, it's not the end of the world, still 11-3, still like the second-best record in the league. So, no worries over here with us."

(On how dominant the team was early off in the season and if there's a sense that teams are adjusting to what they've been doing)

“Oh no, not really. I mean everybody is going to make adjustments, but at the end of the day they get paid like we get paid. Teams have been doing a better job. Like I said, it's more of our mistakes of us hurting ourselves. We'll get it right though."

(On having three three-and-outs and an interception in the third quarter and what the Eagles defense was doing well to make it tough throughout that stretch)

“They were just doing a great job. Being in the right spots, getting some pressure on the quarterback. It was definitely a tough third quarter, but I feel like we fought back and tried to make something happen in the fourth quarter. We were just a little too late."

(On if he said anything to QB Jared Goff or if there's anything they've talked about after the last few games)

“Nah, that's just part of the NFL – you're going to have your ups, you're going to your downs and you got to take it with a grain of salt and just move on. No one's going to have a great career every game, every year. He'll respond, like he always does and he'll comeback and lead us to a win next week."

(On everyone holding themselves accountable, not pointing fingers and if that's step one to getting things back on track)

“Yeah, I mean this team, this team has always been good with that. We all know what we can do better. I know I could have gone out of bounds on the last time, but I just didn't. We all know what we got to work on, we'll watch the film tomorrow, it's going to tell us a lot. We know who we are as a team, we know where we're trying to go. We just try to stay strong, keep it in this locker room – people are going to talk of course, we lost two games, why wouldn't you? We just got to stay focused, ignore the outside noise and just keep getting better every day."

Rams WR Robert Woods – Rams-Eagles Postgame – Dec. 16, 2018

(On if he there's anything he can pinpoint as to why the team hasn't been playing as strongly as they were before the bye week)

“No, just refocus. We’ve got another few games, got another week to prepare and just let that go, get back on track. Focus on the gameplan and work on the little things, the little details to get us back on track."

(On it being suggested that the team peaked too early and if he believes that's the case)

“I don't really care when we peak…Still got games left and opportunities. We're not even at the top yet. We’ve still got games, still got opportunities. Still going to be in the playoffs and I think if we peak right then, I think that's right on time."

(On what QB Jared Goff has been like in the last two games, especially leading the team down the field and them still having a chance left)

"Confidence, poise, still same (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff). Poised, never a facial expression change, still leading this group. We were down, what – 14, 17 points? Same expression, down eight, coming back, trying to fight back for a win. It's the same expression when we're up 20 points. Just fighting back, trying to compete and put up some points."

Rams Michael Brockers – Rams-Eagles Postgame – Dec. 16, 2018

(On what the Eagles offensive line was doing that made it so difficult for them)

“I’m not sure. You know, at this point in the season, you get a lot of guys doing zero pressures and stuff like that, all-go blitzes. I think at some point in time, they’re just going to have more than you can block. I think that’s what happened.”

(On if he can put his finger on what’s changed of late in the team’s performance)

“Not really. We’ve been preparing the same, we’ve been picking it up in practice. We just played a great team out there today, regardless of their record and what’s going on. They still have playmakers. They still have a great team, MVP quarterback in the Super Bowl. They did a great job today.”

(On people doubting Eagles QB Nick Foles when Carson Wentz went down and if he thought the game would be easier for the Rams with Foles as the starter)

“No, not at all. You would think Nick Foles isn’t as elusive as Wentz is, but when you’re the MVP of the Super Bowl, it means something. So for a guy like that, we didn’t think it was a let off or anything like that. We knew what we were going to expect coming in.”

Rams DT Aaron Donald – Rams-Eagles Postgame – Dec. 16, 2018

(On how they correct the mistakes moving forward)

“We have to watch the film. I have to watch the film, so I don’t really know right now.”

(On the comeback allowing them to extract something positive from the game)

“Yeah, we just kept playing. But like I said, we just have to watch the film and see what we need to fix.”

(On if they feel a sense of urgency to get on the right track)

“Well, we just lost two straight so that’s not good. We just have to get going again.”

(On him having no sacks today)

“They just did a good job. A lot of slide protection and a lot of double teams. They controlled the game.”

(On what the answer is for those types of coverage/schemes on him)

“I just have to find a way, I guess. Just find a way.”

(On if there’s concern in the locker room after losing two straight)

“No. You’re not going to be happy, but we just have to get going.”

(On the team not playing well since their bye week)

“We just have to get back into our groove. It’s tough, man. I hate losing so just have to watch the film, correct it, just have to get better. From everybody, from defense to offense to special teams, we just have to play better. We have a great team, we’ve got great coaches, that’s on the players. That’s on us. I’m going to try to do better and I’m going to try and do more. I’ve got to try to find a way to get free no matter what they’re doing to try and slow me down. There’s no excuses. If you want to be great, you have to be great. You have to show up in big games and this was a big game for us.”

Rams CB Marcus Peters – Rams-Eagles Postgame – Dec. 16, 2018

(On if there’s a reason they’ve been unable to recapture the way they played earlier in the season)

“No, I think we’re still the top of our division. I think we’ve still clinched a playoff berth, so we’re not tripping. We just have to get back to our P’s and Q’s.”

(On what he relies on to keep everything together)

“Our process. Trust in our process. We’re going to go back to the film room and we’re going to look at the film and we’re going to get better.”

(On if there’s anything about this game that jumps out at him specifically)

“We can get better overall. It doesn’t matter about the specifics. It’s about getting better each and every play. We’re going to go back and dial off each and every play and see where we can get better each and every play, so we can win that play and then go on to the next one.”

(On the beginning of the comeback coming off of CB Aqib Talib’s interception)

“You need plays like that when you’re down. You have to fight back. You need plays like that and that’s why he’s Aqib Talib.”

Eagles Head Coach Doug Pederson – Rams-Eagles Postgame – Dec. 16, 2018

(On what was different about his team tonight)

“The difference, we played for 60 minutes, quite frankly. We finished the football game like we expect to do each week, and great all around in all three phases.”

(On why Eagles QB Nick Foles was able to hook up with Eagles WR Alshon Jeffery so often)

“We thought coming in that there was going to be some opportunity. This Ram defense is extremely potent. They’ve got some talent, they’ve got some rushers up front. What opens things up is the ability to run the football I think, and in the first half we had some success doing that, even in the third quarter, and it just opened up a few down-the-field throws that we were able to capitalize on and make some nice plays.”

(On how the team responded to Foles during the week)

“I thought that it was positive. Just trying to get back into a rhythm and it’s been a while since Week Two of the season that they’ve played together, but they had a lot of confidence, a lot of trust in him, and it showed tonight.”

(On how proud he is of his team)

“That’s just what I told them in the locker room, just how proud I was, and the way they continue to fight, how they block out the outside noise and just focus on the group. This was a tremendous team win tonight against a great football team. Our backs were against the wall and our guys came out, and came out aggressively. We’re fortunate enough to be going away with a win and move onto the next one.”

(On Eagles S Avonte Maddox playing his third different position this season)

“Yeah (Eagles S) Avonte (Maddox), he’s a really good player for us. It was good to get him back out there this week. He’s a smart guy. To play multiple positions and do the things that he’s been capable of doing, I think is just a credit to him. He trusts his coaches. He trusts the scheme on defense and puts himself in a position to make plays, and that’s what he’s done.”

(On what Eagles RB Wendell Smallwood brings to the offense)

“Yeah, I thought all the backs really did a nice job. Always had a lot of confidence in (Eagles Rcool smiley Wendell (Smallwood) and he did a nice job tonight. I really felt like the offensive line did some nice things, kind of controlling the line of scrimmage at times and opening up a few of those gaps and those lanes. He just hit it and hit it hard, and did a nice job.”

(On his game plan for Foles and if he incorporated concepts from the team’s playoff run last season)

“It kind of came out of last week’s game against the Cowboys and just kind of wanted to get back to our basics, our fundamentals, regardless of who was playing. This was before anything about (Eagles Qcool smiley Carson (Wentz). We just wanted to get back to the things that we were successful at and good at and what the guys really knew and understood. We really didn’t have to change or tweak much during the week. I thought that (Eagles Qcool smiley Nick (Foles) played solid and did the things that we asked him to do. He had a good week of preparation and it showed tonight.”

(On if he is sticking with Foles as the starting quarterback)

“We’re going to enjoy this win. We’re going to get on this plane, we’re going to enjoy it, we’ll take a couple days, and we’ll make those decisions later in the week.”

(On if he has any new information on Eagles QB Carson Wentz)

“Not at this time. Not at this time.”

(On the Eagles offensive line not giving up any sacks in this game and how helpful it was for Foles to throw the ball)

“This is a good defensive line that our O-Line has played. They really rose to the challenge and did some nice things. They really kept (Eagles Qcool smiley Nick (Foles) clean, and I think too, it’s a credit to Nick just being able to get the ball out, and I dialed up a few more quick throws. The ability to run the ball, too, on some of those third downs. To run the ball and have some success really also helped in the pass-protection game.”

(On how satisfying it is to see his team rise up and earn a win like this)

“Yeah, it’s very satisfying. Like you said, our backs have been up against the wall now for the last few weeks. Hopefully, this is now a little momentum for the rest of our season. Our goals are still in front of us. We’re still making a push here at the end. Two games to go and we’ll see what happens, but very satisfying.”

(On the Rams’ final play with four seconds to go in the game)

“(Eagles Defensive Coordinator) Jim (Schwartz) dialed up a blitz at the time just to kind of force (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) to possibly release the ball – it was a five-man protection – just release the ball a bit sooner. We were playing right at the goal line. It was a last shot into the end zone and (Eagles S) Avonte (Maddox) was in good position.”

(On why we should ever doubt Eagles QB Nick Foles again, given how he has performed)

“Well, I think what you saw tonight was a total team effort from all three phases: offense, defense, and of course our special teams came up huge at the end with the fumble recovery on the punt. It’s not about one guy. It never has been. It’s about the team, and that’s what that locker room in there focuses on. They don’t focus on the result. They focus on the process and trusting everybody. It really doesn’t matter. And that’s what you saw tonight was a really good team effort.”

(On how difficult it was to block out the noise this week)

“It’s a tough thing when you have to change QBs and go a different way, but I think it’s a credit to each guy. Again, focus on the things we can control, focus on our process that we talk about quite a bit, lean on one another, and you saw it tonight. You saw those guys play together as a team and as units and it was a fun game to be a part of.”

Eagles QB Nick Foles – Rams-Eagles Postgame – Dec. 16, 2018

(On how proud he is of the way his team played tonight)

“We’re extremely proud of our team. It was a complete team game, a complete team win. And, that’s one of the best teams in the NFL right now and they showed it. Playing against them every single play, they were bringing it. But, I’m really proud of guys for facing adversity. That’s what we preached this week was, you know, in any game there’s going to be adversity, there’s going to be things that happen. Just leaning on one another, sticking to one another, sticking with one another and that’s what we did today. There were a couple adverse things, but we were able to create turnovers. I had the one, (Rams CB Aqib) Talib made a great play on that interception, but we bounced back and we kept playing. That’s really what football’s all about.

(On how much this helps him keep believing that they can still make the playoffs)

“Yeah, I think the big thing is also we focus on the moment. So, we don’t need to worry about that. All we have to worry about now is getting back to Philly, getting our bodies right, prepping and going back at it. And we’ll just see what happens.”

(On why the deeper throws were more convenient with Eagles WR Alshon Jeffery)

“There was a couple times where, we were just reading the defense, letting him go get a chance. I mean, he’s a great player. He’s shown that he can make those plays, and he made them tonight for us and helped me out a lot.”

(On that being the first time he played with Jeffery this year, and how he was able to get the chemistry back with him)

“You know, I watched all the practices, been doing the scout team and I know the guys. I mean, you go out there, I’m a thrower. I just read their body language and throw the ball. They made a lot of great plays. (Eagles WR) Alshon (Jeffery), great catches as well. We were able to spread the ball around. That was important. Also, the line did a great job of we having to run the ball too. So, I thought with (Eagles Head Coach) Doug (Pederson’s) play calling, keeping them off balance, giving them different looks, we were able to execute at a high level.”

(On what this past week was like being the starting quarterback after spending the last 13 weeks in the background)

“It was really emotional. I mean, you hate for your teammate to get hurt. Like I’ve said before, I feel really bad for (Qcool smiley Carson (Wentz). We’re tight in that QB room. Then, when you don’t really know what’s going to happen, you start taking reps, it’s been awhile. You go through the human emotions. I don’t care what you’ve done in the past, or what I’ve done in the past – it doesn’t matter when you step on that field. It’s a new day. So, it was really just dealing with the emotions, prepping as hard as I could and then realizing I’m not alone. I have great teammates out there. All I have to do is spread the ball around, lean on them, stay in the moment and we were able to do that tonight. It’s a huge win for us.”

(On if the amount of hits he took tonight was comparable to the hits he has taken during other games)

“Each game is different. Sometimes you get a bunch of little hits, sometimes you don’t get hit much and they’re a couple big ones. Today they got a couple good licks on me but I’m perfectly fine.”

(On how he stays engaged when not playing starting quarterback for 12 weeks)

“Yeah, I mean my role has been different the last 12 weeks with the scout team and just helping guys in the locker room and whatever it might be. Watching practice, obviously we were in all the installs, you know the offense just in case something happens. And then, when I’m called upon, just going out there and I got to trust my read and react. I have to trust my instincts. And like I said, I lean on my teammates and realize I’m not out there alone. So, it’s all of those things. There’s a lot going on in the head, but I was able to simplify, and that’s the key. When things are going on in you head, and there’s a lot you tend not to play that well. If anything, just simplify what’s going on in the head and just play fast.”

(On if there was an eeriness having taken over on the same field as he did last year after Carson Wentz’s injury)

“I know that’s going to be the story, but no. It’s a new year, it’s a new team and a different situation. At the end of the day, I always talk about staying in the moment, tomorrow will take care of yourself. We’re going to enjoy this. This was a great team win. Just seeing the excitement in the locker room - it’s been a crazy year. But you know, we’re going to keep fighting, we’re going to keep working and we're going to keep learning.”

(On if he has a special feeling with the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and if he's ever lost there)

"I lost my senior year. We were down by quite a bit. Unfortunately, we lost. But my sophomore year, we were able to upset USC here, so that was a good memory."

(On how much he thrives from being the guy that saves the day)

"I don't really thrive on it. It's just sort of the way things have fallen. Once again, it's not about me. I have great teammates, a great organization, great coaches. We were able to rally together. That's the thing that I love about being an Eagle is – we lean on each other. Adversity does hit, what are you going to do? You see teams when adversity hits, start turning on each other. There was a couple moments in this game that were pretty big and there's never any turning on each other saying, 'Hey, we got you.' 'Hey, offense guy, we've got you 'D'.' That's what it's about. So, I don't thrive, I just enjoy being a part of this team."

(On the 50-yard pass to WR Alshon Jeffery and if he has ever seen a play with two guys behind the defense)

"I'm pretty sure I was seeing (Rams DT) Ndamukong Suh (laughs). Hoping that where I was throwing was where he was going to be. I had a quick reaction. I was able to see the safeties sort of void and just let it rip. It was hard to see much. I just let (Eagles WR) Alshon (Jeffery) go make a play. That was the key."

(On what his conversations were like with Eagles QB Carson Wentz when he knew that he was going to be starting)

"I think the big thing is, we've been together the last couple years. Just being there for one another, going through the gameplan together. Obviously, this is unfortunate for him, but I also know that he's going to bounce back and whenever that may be, he's going to be better for it. That's just how he handles his business and that's one thing I respect about him."

(On if he would consider the big picture part of this and what it would mean for his future)

"No. That part does creep in. I do say there is a human side. But no, I'm very self aware of those distractions don't do any good and I think a big part of that was a couple years ago. You just step away from the game, I really thrive in staying in the moment and just enjoying it. We'll see what happens. But, I really just want to enjoy the moment and just be present in all I do. That's what I try to focus on daily."

(On what he means when he talks about simplifying things in his head)

"I mean when you step on a field, it's emotional. There's a lot going on – it's Sunday Night Football, you're in L.A. I think honing in on being in the huddle, not worrying about the score, not worrying about the clock because that can affect your tendencies of reading different plays, forcing different things and just playing. There's different things that I do and like I said, you've got to be self aware, you've got to know your tendencies. I know where I fall short, but it's just going in that huddle - that's my sanctuary. That's where I want to be. I just want to be with those guys. No matter what happens during the game, not worrying about the score, not worrying about the clock - just playing."

(On what he did to get the team to rally around him)

"Not much, it's just being there for the guys. Just going in the huddle - really just, me and communication is big. Me showing love to the guys is big. The way you win games in the fourth quarter, in my opinion is, you love one another, you care for one another. It's hard to win in the NFL, I always say, especially against a team like this. That's why we don't turn on each other, is those relationships. So, I just step in the huddle. I'm not a big rah-rah guy. I just want to be who I am and it just makes it easy."

(On how much better he is at staying in the moment with the experience he's had the last couple years than maybe he was three or four years ago)

"I think in every life experience, you learn something. Through the last couple years, absolutely. I've learned that being present, being in the moment is important because today, there's so many distractions – phones, all the Instagram and Twitter, everything - you get distracted. You get the likes, everything, even this. But, just being in the moment, being present, there's something that's really special about that if you can do it. Then, being a husband and a father – being present at home – that makes my days even better is when I can go home and just be present and just block out football when I get there. I'm actually a better football player because of that."

Eagles WR Alshon Jeffery – Rams-Eagles Postgame – Dec. 16, 2018

(On coming to Los Angeles and stealing a win and keeping their playoff hopes alive despite everything they’ve endured this season from injuries to tough losses)

“I don’t think we stole a win. Everyone in that locker, we believed in each other. I don’t think we stole a win. We just went out there and played Eagles football. You think we stole a win because you counted us out.”

(On his matchup with CB Aqib Talib and if he felt like it was a matchup he could win after playing against Talib last season)

“I really don’t look up matchups. Like I said, (Eagles Qcool smiley Nick (Foles) just did a hell of a job of just finding me, just throwing the ball and letting me go out and just make the plays.”

(On his message to his teammates after dealing with the adversity of losing Eagles QB Carson Wentz)

“(Eagles Head) Coach (Doug Pederson) is always preaching ‘next man up’…Around this time it started for Nick (Foles) last year. It was same thing. We came to L.A., we got the job done and we’ve just got to keep building from this.”

Eagles Tight End Zach Ertz –Eagles Vs. Chiefs- December 16, 2018

(On the match ups against the Rams defense)

“Yeah, I mean we liked our matchup in 12-personnel. They went Nick Foles the entire game with 12-personnel. It presents a lot of opportunities to run the football. We were blocking LB Ndamukong Suh which is an amazing task but we jumped up and did our best. It’s a team win. All three phases really had good flashes of the team. I’m proud of the way we battled, obviously. Being 13-point underdogs wasn’t lost on us. I mean, we just came out and fought.”

(On getting three rushing touchdowns in a game since 2016)

“We did make a commitment to run. Every time we were in the red zone we were running the ball effectively. When they were making a concerted effort to stop me on third downs other guys were making plays and it was really fun to see. WR Alshon (Jeffery) played out of his mind, but we needed it.”

(On Blocking for RB Wendell Smallwood first touchdown)

“We kind of just had the backside cut off. Its not easy blocks. It’s all effort and all technique. We’ve done that play so many times on the backside and put a lot of pride in the running game. It’s not perfect by any and not the strongest part of my game. I just try to battle. Most of the time I’m undersized or overmatched strength wise, that’s why I have to be great in my technique. I’ve drilled it a ton of times. RB Wendell (Smallwood) runs hard and you see that every time he’s on the field. He runs extremely hard.”

(On RB Wendell Smallwood stepping up and being ready to play)

“The thing I love about Wendell is he’s the same person each and every day. Each and everyday he comes to work with the mindset I’m just going to get better. Whether its on special teams or offense, he doesn’t know exactly when his number is going to get called, but he is ready each and every day. He doesn’t let the emotions of the game and the emotions of whether I’m playing this week or not playing this week get the best of him. I think it speaks volumes about his overall character.”

(On if he feels this is the first time the team put both offense and defense together)

“Yeah, for sure. Were we perfect? No. But at the end of the day that’s a really good football team and they have a ton of really good players. For four quarters we battled. I think it was our highest scoring game of the season, against a team that was rolling and we needed each and every point. It was overall great. All three phases put it together. There were flashes of really good football and that’s what we need the rest of the year.”

(On what was coach Doug Pederson’s message coming into the game)

“Stay in the moment was kind of the big thing. Especially QB Nick (Foles) was kind of preaching all week. Stay in the moment and enjoy it and overall don’t stress too much. Focus on being the best player that you can be each and every play. It wasn’t lost on us on how big of an underdog we were.Thirteen-point underdogs on Sundy Night Football. But we came out here and battled.”

(On if any other player has had a career like QB Nick Foles)

“Probably not. The way he’s able to stay so even-keeled is really remarkable. He plays big in the biggest of situations. He’s the ultimate team player because he has no problem with being backup to QB Carson (Wentz). When Carson (Wentz) is out there, obviously everyone knows Carson is an unbelievable quarterback, top-five player in the league. He’s probably one of the most selfless players I’ve played with. No ego by any means, he just wants to be the best quarterback he can and best teammate for this team. I think it really speaks volumes about him.”

Eagles DT Fletcher Cox – Rams-Eagles Postgame – Dec. 16, 2018

(On how the team mentally prepared for today’s game)

“We talk about it. We asked the guys this week to just go in a dark corner. Just go in a dark spot for 60 minutes. I think every guy went in that dark spot. At the end of the day, we picked up our head up and we got a win against a really good football team.”

(On the team’s faith in QB Nick Foles)

“I mean Nick’s been here before. He’s a pro, seven-year pro. He’s been around the league. It really sucks to see a great guy like Carson (Wentz) go down, but it’s part of football. A young guy like Cason goes down and I think that’s why we got Nick around, a guy that’s been around the league and can throw the ball around. We just have to rally behind him and keep supporting him.”

(On his injury early in the game)

“It was just a hip injury. I’m pretty sure you all saw that. I finished the game.”

(On playing against Rams DT Aaron Donald)

“It was good. I’m a fan of Aaron Donald. Obviously, that’s my boy. We talk all the time about going out and just being yourself. I think today, I just went out and played my style of football, be physical and get after the quarterback. It was a good day for me.”

Eagles S Malcolm Jenkins – Rams-Eagles Postgame – Dec. 16, 2018

(On the team’s mentality coming into today’s game)

“I think at the end of the day it starts with the leadership on the team. Just kind of putting our foot in the ground and just saying we’re going to make a statement. At the end of the day we want to continue to play. If we want our dreams to continue we’ve go to go take it. That’s why you see the ski masks, that’s why you see the renewed enthusiasm because we’ve got the mentality that we have to go steal whatever it is that we want if we want to continue. It’s not going to be easy, nobody asked it to be. We’re fine with doing something special and extraordinary. Let’s just take it one week at a time, keep competing and keep having fun.”

(On being counted out by a lot of people prior to today’s game)

“Not a lot of people, everybody.”

(On if he’s proud of the way his team fought through adversity)

“Very proud. We’ve been hit with adversity all year. From the start of the season, all the way through now. We just found a way to continue to fight, plug guys in, trust in each other and adjust. That’s been our mantra all year, even last year. That doesn’t change regardless of who we have on the field. We’ll continue to grow. I think we’ve seen a lot of those young players who have been playing in more significant roles grow today. We’ll continue our process. Get back, watch the tape, try to improve on the things that we didn’t do well and get ready to go compete against another good team.”

(On the significance of the ski mask)

“Like I said man, where we are right now, if we want to continue to play you’ve got to go take it. For us, it’s kind of that season where we’re going to steal everything we got. Whether it’s the ball, the game or our chance to go play in the postseason. We got to go take it. That’s kind of what that ski mask is doing. For us, I think it’s bringing back that energy and having fun. Guys are enthusiastic about contributing. There’s so many different people making plays, it’s right on time.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPTS: Los Angeles Rams - Philadelphia Eagles Postgame Quotes - Sun., Dec. 16, 2018

RamsFootballFans.com214December 17, 2018 12:17AM