Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1st Half Drive by drive/play by play review --- not much to change scheme wise...

December 13, 2018 08:38AM
1st drive (after Peters INT)
Run - Gurley goes nowhere, no hole
Pass (shotgun) - 5 yards to Cooks
Pass (shotgun) - Mack blows up Hav, Goff with no chance

Notes:

RZ trip, no TD; FG
I see no issues with the scheme here. I'd say the drive failure is on the OL.

2nd drive
Run - Gurley picks up 9 yards
Pass (under Center) - complete OL breakdown again on the right side causing Goff to severely under throw, near INT.
Run - Gurley barely picks up 1 yard, 1st down.
Pass (under center, 1st P/A) - 9 yards to Woods
Run - Gurley into stacked box, 2 yard loss
Pass (shotgun) - Incomplete to Woods. Some pressure but mostly inaccurate throw by Goff

Notes:
1st punt, almost blocked. Again an issue with blocking. So far I see no issues with scheme. 9 plays total: 4 runs, 5 passes (3 from the shotgun, only 1 play action so far)

3rd drive

(Pass - Screen to Woods, loss of 3 yards, but 10 yard penalty on Cooks)
Pass (shotgun) - 1st and 20, INT, Goff gets hit by Whit, severely under throws.

Notes:
The issue here was lack of players execution. First the penalty which puts them in a passing down. Then Whit gets blown 7 yards back into Goff.

4th drive

Pass (under center, P/A) - Throw into double coverage. Incomplete to Cooks downfield, bad decision by Goff.
Pass (shotgun) - Thrown to well covered Cooks, Incomplete Near INT.
(Pass (shotgun) - Caught by Everett, would have been 1st down but...5 yard Penalty on Cooks)
Pass (shotgun) - 3rd & 15. Goff checks down to Gurley for 7 yards.
Fake Punt for 1st down
Pass (under center, P/A) - Horrible, fluttering throw by Goff. Not much pressure.
Pass (shotgun) - Short throw to Gurley for 1st down
Pass (under center, P/A) - Goff under heavy pressure, Complete for 15 yards to Cooks.
Pass (under center, no P/A) - Complete for 5 yards to Cooks.
Pass (under center, P/A, rollout) - Goff under pressure, Complete for 5 yards to Woods for another 1st down.
Run - Gurley into stacked box, no gain
Pass (shotgun) - Goff sees guy coming on delayed blitz gets rid of it...but OL picks player up so no pressure.
Pass (shotgun) - 3rd & 10. Screen to Woods, 2 yard gain.

Notes:
FG, game 6-6. 4:12 left in half.

This drive was the first where things were starting to be unbalanced. 21 total plays: 5 runs, 16 passes (9 shotgun, 5 play action).

However, despite the imbalance this was the first drive where the offense started having success and moving the ball a significant distance. Gurley with 3 touches, but only 1 run, on the drive.

5th drive (1:38 remaining in half, drive starts at the 15, Rams with 1 timeout)

Pass (shotgun) - Complete to Reynolds for 13 yards
Pass (shotgun) - Complete to Woods for 5 yards. 1:12 left
Penalty on Whit, false start. Now 2nd & 10
Pass (shotgun) - Incomplete to well covered Woods. Dropped. Probably should have been caught.
Pass (shotgun) - Goff under heavy pressure from both sides, attempts throw to Gurley, not close

Notes:
I have no issues with this drive. Time on clock until half, distance to go dictates heavy passing. The Whit penalty and drop by Woods - both an uncharacteristic lack of execution on the players - is what killed the drive.

6th drive (after JJ3 INT, drive starts at 50, :19 secs to half)

(Pass (shotgun) - Complete to Gurley for 5 yards but...5 yard penalty on Gurley)
Pass (shotgun) - 1st & 15, :14 secs left. Complete to Everett for 6 yards. :8 secs left
Pass (shotgun) - Hail mary INT, halftime

Notes:
Time on the clock until half, distance to go, and no timeouts dictated passing attempts.

1st Half Notes / Observations:

- I don't see much to change scheme wise. If someone else does, please tell me where.
- 28 total plays: 5 runs, 23 passes (16 shotgun, 5 play action, 2 under center w/no p/a).
- Gurley - 7 touches, 9 attempted touches
- We literally could not move the ball early when the running and passing were balanced.
- We only began to move the ball on the 4th drive when McVay abandoned the run and passed 10 out of 11 plays. That drive was the only one where the offense earned points.
- Prior to this drive, they had been balanced with 10 total plays - 4 runs, 6 passes - no success.
- On the passes, there was plenty of shotgun. Goff was still under pressure all the time. And very little play action this game.
- It appears to me Rams81 is right, at least for the 1st half. McVay didn't take Gurley out of the game, Chicago took Gurley out.

I haven't reviewed the 2nd half yet; it may tell a different story...Thoughts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2018 09:07AM by dzrams.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

1st Half Drive by drive/play by play review --- not much to change scheme wise...

dzrams185December 13, 2018 08:38AM

Re: 1st Half Drive by drive/play by play review --- not much to change scheme wise...

Rampage2K-86December 13, 2018 08:51AM

Re: 1st Half Drive by drive/play by play review --- not much to change scheme wise...

dzrams67December 13, 2018 09:01AM